Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #1741
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I can't imagine how scary it must have been the morning you woke up with this issue. Is this something that will resolve once you've had the baby? I'm completely unfamiliar with it. I hope she arrives soon!!
).
Nope, it won't go away when she's born. It's not pregnancy related, though you are 3 times more likely to get it when pregnant. Anybody can get it. They think it's cause by an inflammation of the facial nerves, caused by the virus that causes chickenpox and cold sores that gets aggrevated when under stress. I wasn't too freaked out about it being a stroke or anything (I seriously look like I've had one) because my sister had this 14 years ago, her's was triggered by taking Phen Fen. It can take anywhere from 1 week to 3 months to fully recover, and some people never do.
It started saturday, by the middle of the day I noticed I couldn't really taste anything. I thought maybe my tongue was just coated in grease from what I'd eaten at breakfast. Then I noticed it didn't go away Sunday. Sunday I took a nap and woke up with a headache above my left ear. And then woke up Monday morning unable to move the left side of my mouth.
It shouldn't effect the baby at all. Though I'm always skeptical about taking drugs while pregnant, especially such strong drugs!
http://lorivsjourneytohealth.blogspot.com/

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #1742
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
SouthernCJ-I vote for Danielle. Plus I like the meaning behind it.

Lori-so sorry about the Bells Palsy, that must have been so scary!! But you're getting so close!!

Suzie-still thinking about you, your DH and baby boy Connor.

Taryl-you are so close too!!

Krissy-I guess I forgot that Brooke and my baby Ethan were almost the same age. It seems like forever ago we had them sometimes, doesn't it? He just turned 5 months on Monday. (Pics attached). He is doing great with his "helmet" (DOC band). If I ever get a spare second, I need to "bling" it out.

We also never did the rice cereal thing. Brandon's first food was sweet potatoes, and I think that was Ethan's too when he turned 4 months. But I feel so bad because we have been really slacking on giving Ethan solids every night like we did with Brandon. We are just so busy now with 2 under 2. By the time both boys are in bed, we are exhausted......!!! Sigh!

As for me, I have been having super duper heavy periods since I stopped breasfeeding (really pumping as Ethan never latched) a couple months ago. I went in for a pelvic ultrasound last week and just got the results yesterday. Apparently I have a polyp in my uterus and they need to biopsy it. There is only a very slight chance it is cancer, so I am not even thinking about that right now. I am more freaking out about how they are going to take it out....each option sounds as bad as the other. One of the options is a D&C which I have never had before. But at least I get anesthesia for that one. And hopefully pain meds. Lots of pain meds. I am super anxious about this. I go in to see my OB on tuesday so she can "examine" me and figure out the best course of action here. Sigh.....

Well, anyway, here are a couple pics of the boys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 857967_10151292672071581_655917616_o.jpg (44.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20130312_194509_resized.jpg (22.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20130301_175955_resized.jpg (47.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 857737_10151509908003156_2019844793_o.jpg (45.5 KB, 10 views)

Our baby boys that we waited so long for. They are 359 days apart!

Sharon
Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #1743
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Suzie
I wanted to share with you ladies the update I posted in my thread on the PG:

We had a follow up doctor appointment last night. I needed some time to process everything.

They got back the preliminary autopsy results. As of right now it looks like it was something chromosomal, but not necessarily genetic. He had a high pallate, enlarged soft spot, slanted eye bones, small mouth (none of this stuff was visibly "off" when we saw him). He also had an enlarged left portion of his heart and underdeveloped lungs. The doctor said a lot of the first stuff is things that would be seen in someone with down's syndrome. However, all together he thinks it is something chromosomal from conception. That something just didn't go right with the chromosomes combining/splitting whatever they do.

The next step is waiting for DH and my blood work to come back. They are doing genetic testing on it and will be able to tell us how our chromosomes look separately and if there would be any continued issues in future pregnancies. The doctor does not think there is any reason for concern in the future. He thinks it was just an accident of nature type of situation.

I'm having a rough time. Those results made me feel.. I don't want to say better, but it relieved the thought of maybe it was something I did during pregnancy. I know the doctor told me thirty times it wasn't, but that thought was always there. I'm not sleeping, and when I do it is broken sleep. I went ahead and took the doctor's advice and am staying off work next week as well.

I'm still checking in on everyone occasionally, not as often as before. I'll be back as regular someday.

http://suziesnewnormal.blogspot.com/
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #1744
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Suzie-
Old 03-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #1745

Suzie, so glad you got some answers. I know it doesn't make it any easier. But we are here for you and I'm praying for you. *hugs*
Old 03-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #1746

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
I can't even begin to imagine how you feel Suzie. My heart aches for you.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #1747
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Oh, Suzie I'm sure any mother would have had concerns that it was something she did during pregnancy, and I'm so glad that you at least have confirmation that it was not your fault at all (I know no one ever thought it was, but I also know how easy it is to blame yourself even for things beyond your control - I think we, as women, are pretty prone to doing that). I know that doesn't help with all the other emotions you're dealing with right now. I think more time off from work is a good idea. I hope you are able to get some rest soon
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 03-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #1748
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
Start Date: 7/17/13
I'm so very sorry Suzie. I can only imagine how rough this is for you. You are in my prayers.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #1749
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCJ View Post
Fingers crossed for continued improvement! Not too much longer, I know we are all waiting on Baby Rose!

What do you guys think of these names? Husband and I have settled on Joanne as a middle name, after his grandmother who I adore and am very close with. For first names we have:

Evelyn
Hannah
Isabelle
Aimee (his pick I am so-so on it)
Danielle (both of our dads are named Daniel and it is the first grandchild on both sides, thought this would be fun to honor them and I like the name)
I admit I cringe when I see Evelyn. There are so many prettier traditionally names than that one, which always makes me thing of denture paste and perm setting Hannah and Isabelle are very pretty, though
Old 03-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #1750
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
I wanted to share with you ladies the update I posted in my thread on the PG:

We had a follow up doctor appointment last night. I needed some time to process everything.

They got back the preliminary autopsy results. As of right now it looks like it was something chromosomal, but not necessarily genetic. He had a high pallate, enlarged soft spot, slanted eye bones, small mouth (none of this stuff was visibly "off" when we saw him). He also had an enlarged left portion of his heart and underdeveloped lungs. The doctor said a lot of the first stuff is things that would be seen in someone with down's syndrome. However, all together he thinks it is something chromosomal from conception. That something just didn't go right with the chromosomes combining/splitting whatever they do.

The next step is waiting for DH and my blood work to come back. They are doing genetic testing on it and will be able to tell us how our chromosomes look separately and if there would be any continued issues in future pregnancies. The doctor does not think there is any reason for concern in the future. He thinks it was just an accident of nature type of situation.

I'm having a rough time. Those results made me feel.. I don't want to say better, but it relieved the thought of maybe it was something I did during pregnancy. I know the doctor told me thirty times it wasn't, but that thought was always there. I'm not sleeping, and when I do it is broken sleep. I went ahead and took the doctor's advice and am staying off work next week as well.

I'm still checking in on everyone occasionally, not as often as before. I'll be back as regular someday.
Awe Suzie, I'm sure it's a bundle of mixed emotions right now. Given the complexities of the developing baby it is truly amazing so many make it through without incident. Don't EVER fall into the trap of blaming yourself, you didn't do ANYTHING wrong.

Taking a work break also sounds like an excellent idea. Just rest and grieve, you've been through the wringer in every way possible.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #1751
Major LCF Poster!

As for me, tons of contractions last night that were fairly strong, but they tapered off after about five hours. The good news is I got a big bloody show, and not even just spotting. Lots of bright red, which means those contractions did some dilating for me. At last check I was 3 cm, 60-70% effaced, so I'm hoping I got another cm or two. At 38w4d that's pretty good progress for me, but there has to be SOME upside to this being my fourth full term baby!

It's pretty demoralizing to have weeks of labor like this but I've been this way in previous pregnancies, too. At this point I'm just throwing up my hands and not giving it any mental energy unless I'm doubled over in pain. A head out or it doesn't count, yo

I have a few more things to prep for the homebirth, mainly folding up and packaging clean towels and sheets so they're on hand for quick bed changes, and pulling the gender neutral newborn clothes from the drawer. The downside of a surprise baby is someone is going to have to grab and unpack the correct infant clothes space bag - I have one for a boy and one for a girl, but still no clue which one I need to use

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Old 03-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #1752
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Suzie
Thanks everyone. At this point I'm just really hoping for the genetic lab work to all come back fine. DH is very paranoid now that it is something with the combination of our chromosomes. I'm trying to stay optimistic and hope that our genetic work up comes back fine. He has basically voiced his opinion as being concerned about every trying again, but I know it is more of a shocked/worried until the results come back. We are both going through a lot of emotions right now.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #1753

Gallery: pocahontas
Suzie - Please dont blame yourself, EVER! If I may ask, did you have an NT scan? I am surprised that they didnt notice anything if this was indeed a chromosomal abnormality.

Taryl - WTG on the pending labor! You're getting so close!

Lori - You are close too Mama! Hope the bells subsides a bit.

CJ - DH and I actually have Isabel picked if we have a girl. Isabel was my paternal grandmothers name. Surprisingly, DH heard it on an episode of Law and Order and fell in love. I also love Hannah but DH has a cousin by that name. My maternal grandmother is Eleanor and I that name too but my cousin has already used it. Obvs we like old names, we named DS Harris James.

jilly - How you feeling? Fish and green beans while pregnant? Glad DS enjoyed it!

Dp - Nice to see ya!

Old 03-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #1754
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
jilly - How you feeling? Fish and green beans while pregnant? Glad DS enjoyed it!
I'm feeling pretty much fine except for when I sit down to dinner, I can't get more than a few bites no matter what it is. Tonight I made teriyaki marinated sirloin, lit the sirloin with my husband, and couldn't finish even my half. I keep trying different vegetables, but I just can't seem to get any down. Same thing happened last time I was pregnant. I wish I would have an aversion to ice cream instead of veggies! So far, broccoli, green beans, asparagus, and bell peppers are all pretty much nauseating. I think all I have left in my vegetable drawer is cauliflower, and I don't have high hopes! I'm basically living on cheese, meats, and nuts.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #1755

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
And I was the opposite. I could eat vegetables, but any meat was rough going.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #1756
Senior LCF Member

Nuts are really my saving grace right now. I eat nuts at least twice a day. I try to get a variety, so I have a few different variations of mixed nuts around. Right now, they're the only thing that consistently doesn't nauseate me. I made 3 scrambled eggs this morning with butter, cream, and cheese, and I got down maybe 2-2.5 eggs before I knew the next bite would be a bad idea

Luckily, I'm still fine taking my supplements, so hopefully everything is still going okay in there. March 26 (my first ultrasound) seems SO far away! But I'm certainly busy enough between work, Ben's birthday (party is the 23rd), and, well, Ben in general My husband has been home sick yesterday and today, so I'm doing all the heavy lifting where Ben is concerned.

Oh, and next week, I'm meeting up with two other moms right in my neighborhood, one has an 8-month-old, and one has a 10-month-old. We're going to get together to meet each other and the kids and hopefully set up a local babysitting swap deal. I really hope it works out. I have been trying to find a good babysitter since I don't have any local family, and this would be great because it won't cost me any cash, just exchanging services, and they're adults with their own kids, so I'm a bit more comfortable with that than a high school kid or something. I can't wait to be able to go buy my new car (don't want to have to take Ben with us, but want my husband with me, so we haven't been able to get to the dealership) and maybe once a month or so actually be able to go out with my husband, just the two of us
Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #1757
Senior LCF Member

jillybean, I found that salty stuff calmed my tummy when I was pregnant. I had terrible all day sickness. Are the nuts salted or natural?

Taryl, good luck and easy labor vibes!

Well my first step in TTC #2 (going on metformin) has been interesting. It isn't hurting my tummy as much as it did with TTC #1. But I'm constantly nauseated. Yay fun.

For now I'm concentrating on weight loss and we're not getting busy with TTC in earnest yet. If this nausea keeps up I may have to just stay LC, drop the meds, and hope LC helps me to O consistantly on my own.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #1758
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jilly-that sounds like a good deal with the babysitting swap thing. I don't have much support here either. My best friend will come over and watch the kids once every other month or so for us so we can have a "date night" which is nice. My in-laws live somewhat close, but still far enough away that there are lots of (expensive) toll bridges they have to cross that we don't see that all that much. My parents live up in Buffalo and they haven't even met Baby Ethan yet because my grandma lives with them and needs round the clock care and they can't leave her or bring her down with them anymore to visit.

Has anyone ever had a D&C? I am so nervous about this biopsy thing....and a D&C was one of the options given to me. Are you totally knocked out for it? Will it hurt me afterward? If I ever want to try to get pregnant again, will it make my chances harder?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #1759
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybabyhead View Post
jillybean, I found that salty stuff calmed my tummy when I was pregnant. I had terrible all day sickness. Are the nuts salted or natural?
They are salted, actually. And as I sip on a cup of hot chicken broth, I think you may be on to something. I hadn't made that connection because I actually had to stop snacking on cheddar cheese because it is suddenly disgustingly salty to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycat21 View Post
Has anyone ever had a D&C? I am so nervous about this biopsy thing....and a D&C was one of the options given to me. Are you totally knocked out for it? Will it hurt me afterward? If I ever want to try to get pregnant again, will it make my chances harder?
I have no experience with a D&C myself, but I was actually just reading a thread about it on another forum. It was in a different context, though (D&C versus natural miscarriage), but those who'd had a D&C said it wasn't bad. Some said they had some pain after, but not much, and some said they were fine. If they do it for miscarriages, I can't imagine it would hurt future pregnancy chances. I'm not sure if you're totally knocked out. Can you call and ask your doc's office?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #1760
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycat21 View Post
I have not had one but my sister has had a few because of problems and a miscarriage. It did not hurt her chances of getting pregnant at all. I can't remember if she was awake or not but she only had to take tylenol afterwards. She had very little pain or discomfort. My mom has had a couple too because of some menstrual problems and she had just a little bit of discomfort. She was older though, and was done having babies.

I'd be nervous too. Like jillybean said, call your doc to see what sort of options they offer during a D&C. I'm sure they can reassure you too.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #1761

Sharon - My SIL is prone to miscarriages. She has had 3 D&C's one before and one between each of her children. She said the pain is only mild and Tylenol works fine. It never hurt her chances of conceiving, in fact she got pregnant again very soon after all of them. Good luck!

Not much going on for me. TOM is almost done, DH is out of town in Phoenix with his boys. They go every year to Spring Training and watch all their fave baseball teams. DS and I had a nice time last night and will do so again tonight then tomorrow we are heading down to my Sisters for my nephews b-day party.

Have a great weekend if I dont get to pop back in before I go!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #1762
Senior LCF Member

Bleh. I've lost about 5 pounds since I found out I was pregnant, but my jeans are feeling so tight
Quote:
DS and I had a nice time last night and will do so again tonight then tomorrow we are heading down to my Sisters for my nephews b-day party.

Have a great weekend if I dont get to pop back in before I go!
Have a great time with your DS!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #1763
Senior LCF Member

EEEK! The metformin I'm on is helping! I have very clear signs of ovulation right now. I am soooooo excited! I had to share with someone!

It is also now causing a little bit of stomach discomfort but probiotics and LC are helping them to be mild bathroom issues rather than major ones.

I hope everyone has a great Monday!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #1764
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SouthernCJ
Stats: 146/Pregnant!/129 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
And I was the opposite. I could eat vegetables, but any meat was rough going.
Even going into my third trimester right now I can hardly look meat in the face. And I love meat! I have been sticking with a lot of greek yogurt for protein since I also can't look eggs in the face after getting sick off of them in my first tri. I've been eating whole grains and sweet potatoes but looking forward to getting back into regular eating after baby comes.

All is good here! I am 27 weeks (28 on Thursday) and feeling pretty good! Gained 11 pounds so far which was a bit more than I wanted but I'm still basically on track to gain 25. I'm more tired than I thought I would be at this stage, was kind of hoping for pre-pregnancy energy levels by now but it just never happened!

Jilly I don't think I ever congratulated you on your BFP. YAY!!! So happy for you! Keep us posted on how you are feeling.

Any sign of Baby Rose yet?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #1765
Senior LCF Member

Trying so hard to stick to a good eating plan. The weekend was rocky, but I didn't cave to anything major. I'm sure the cashew chicken I got with my Chinese delivery was full of hidden carbs, but I didn't have anything like rice or egg rolls, just the chicken, and I split it over 3 meals. I did completely forget the basics of pregnancy eating when we went out for breakfast yesterday and ordered eggs benedict without the English muffin - oops on both the runny eggs and the Hollandaise sauce! It's like this pregnancy hasn't mentally set in for me yet. My ultrasound on the 26th can't get here fast enough!

Thank goodness my husband was feeling better yesterday. I'm soooo tired lately, and not having his help with Ben for 4 days was rough. I don't know how you mommas do it with husbands who have to be gone for work for weeks or even months at a time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybabyhead View Post
EEEK! The metformin I'm on is helping! I have very clear signs of ovulation right now. I am soooooo excited! I had to share with someone!

It is also now causing a little bit of stomach discomfort but probiotics and LC are helping them to be mild bathroom issues rather than major ones.
Hurray for ovulation! I know some people have gastrointestinal issues with met, but it often resolves after the first few weeks or so. I hope that is the case for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCJ View Post
Any sign of Baby Rose yet?
Wondering the same thing...
Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #1766

Nope, Due date came and went yesterday. Still pregnant, still have bells palsy. It's seriously time for at least one of these things to change. I only have til next weekend to get this baby out of me naturally then the Perinatologist overseeing the GD will want me induced. I see the midwives today, if there is enough progress they will likely strip my membranes. I tried Evening primrose oil inserted vaginally last night to help ripen the cervix.
Thought I was getting contractions several times yesterday, even timed them at 12 mins apart. But when I got up and sat on my birth ball they went away every time.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #1767

CJ - Glad things are going well!

jilly - I wouldnt sweat the eggs benedict. My doc was fine with everything in moderation. The only thing she told me to avoid was raw fish. I had runny eggs several times throughout my pregnancy but I dont like Hollandaise.

luvmybabyhead - YAY!

Lori - I'm thinking of you and sending positive labor thoughts! I hope Baby Rose comes on her own so you can avoid induction.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #1768
Senior LCF Member

Frequently feeling hungry but being turned off by pretty much all food. Annoying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
Nope, Due date came and went yesterday. Still pregnant, still have bells palsy. It's seriously time for at least one of these things to change.
Gah, come on, baby!! It's nice outside the womb in your mommy's arms, promise
Quote:
jilly - I wouldnt sweat the eggs benedict. My doc was fine with everything in moderation. The only thing she told me to avoid was raw fish. I had runny eggs several times throughout my pregnancy but I dont like Hollandaise.
Not sweatin' in - I've been fine (well, as fine as my new norm has become!). I do avoid all the recommended stuff to avoid during pregnancy, though - runny eggs, sauces/dressing with raw egg yolks (hollandaise, caesar dressing, etc.), non-heated cold cuts, meats with nitrates (hotdogs, pepperoni, etc.)...I just have such a weird health history and tend to be prone to rare/odd things (shingles in my 20s, internal chicken pox causing pneumonia, e-coli inflicted double kidney infection, pityrhiasis rosea, anaphylactic shock as an initial allergic reaction...) that I don't like to tempt fate!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #1769
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
Nope, Due date came and went yesterday. Still pregnant, still have bells palsy. It's seriously time for at least one of these things to change. I only have til next weekend to get this baby out of me naturally then the Perinatologist overseeing the GD will want me induced. I see the midwives today, if there is enough progress they will likely strip my membranes. I tried Evening primrose oil inserted vaginally last night to help ripen the cervix.
Thought I was getting contractions several times yesterday, even timed them at 12 mins apart. But when I got up and sat on my birth ball they went away every time.
Good luck! I hope you can avoid induction!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #1770

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Just called 911 for James. He is fine. But, he fell and you know how they are quiet before a big cry? Like their mouth open and you know it is coming. Well, I guess he did not get enough oxygen , so he passed out. We took no chances and called. It was really scary for about ten minutes though.
Closed Thread