Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #1711
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Oh yes, and still low carb without cheats, feeling GREAT on the diet front . For me, 25-35(max!) net carbs has been an extremely healthful way to eat with pregnancy. My weight gain has been minimal, and fat gain anywhere has been non-existent. Less heartburn, no acne, more controlled moods than usual at this stage in the game, etc. The only difference has been my diet and regular exercise with TTAP.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #1712
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Oh yes, and still low carb without cheats, feeling GREAT on the diet front . For me, 25-35(max!) net carbs has been an extremely healthful way to eat with pregnancy. My weight gain has been minimal, and fat gain anywhere has been non-existent. Less heartburn, no acne, more controlled moods than usual at this stage in the game, etc. The only difference has been my diet and regular exercise with TTAP.
Glad to hear things are going well - you're so close!! Did you eat similarly with you other pregnancies, or is this your first low-carb pregnancy? I haven't been counting my carbs, but I am not eating any grains, starches, sweets, etc., and only incidental fruits (like tonight I had a salad at a restaurant that had some dried cranberries and dates), so basically just meats, eggs, cheeses, and non-starchy veggies. I did start having some food aversions recently, which isn't helping, but I'm still truckin' along!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #1713
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
I'm sorry ladies, I've been MIA and busy! Tons of contractions and discomfort, some progress, my midwives don't think I'll go overdue in this pregnancy (for once).

All is still go for my home birth, my vitals are perfect, baby is healthy. Just a TON of contractions that are quite painful. I always have prodromal labor, but this baby is sitting much lower than my others and thus the contractions are at least doing more. I had some spotting the other night after a particularly intense bout, so I'm thinking I got some dilation with the effacement I know has been going on.

But yeah, I'm me mentally and physically tired. Grateful things are going well, though! As we told people at church today (apparently I must have looked miserable, everyone seemed to be commenting and asking how I was feeling, which is funny since most didn't know I was pregnant a month ago, as my belly looks fairly small) I'm due any day the baby decides to show, and we're hoping that is sooner than not! Especially since my father in law, who is our childcare for the birth, is going out of town for a work project in a week!

38 weeks, at any rate. The days are numbered by God and he knows, but I have no clue how much longer the baby will bake. He/she will come quickly when they do, but the first five cm always take ages for me. Boo!
So glad to hear things are going so well! Thats so awesome! I'm a little jealous! I'm 39 weeks today and other then braxton hicks, not a whole lot going on here, at my last check up my cervix was still high and totally closed. I go in to see the midwife again tomorrow, praying for some change. It was amazing at church today, the whole church prayed over me and baby Rose. So awesome to feel so loved and cared about.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #1714

Gallery: pocahontas
Taryl - So happy to hear from you! Glad everything is going well.

Lori - I keep waiting for the big announcement that baby Rose has made her debut! Sending lots of !
Old 03-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #1715
Thick and Delicious

Gallery: CARLINI
Stats: 303/252/140
WOE: Eating REAL food
Start Date: 2/14/2004
Andi ~ I think shifting focus is a great idea. Plus, the more weight you lose, the better off you’ll be when carrying the baby.

Taryl ~ Did you find it hard to LC while pregnant?

Lori ~
Old 03-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #1716

Thanks Debbie. I have to shift focus for my own sanity. I am not coping well since the BFN offically closed the door on 1yr TTC #2.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #1717

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Debbie,
I also stayed low carb for my pregnancy and found it VERY difficult, but really worth it. I could not even look at raw meat, it make me vomit.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #1718

39 weeks and 2 days today. Woke up not able to move the left side of my face. Went to ER. Diganosis is Bells Palsy. Oh what fun! They put me on steroids and an anti viral med. The steroids will likely spike my blood sugar and I MAY get put on meds because of it. Thank God they are only for 6 days, hopefully I can get thru these next 6 days without much trouble with blood sugar. I feel like I'm in the home stretch, and to have to go on meds now would really suck. Will also suck being in labor feeling like this. I can barely eat or drink, as only half my mouth works. My eyes are all funky because one is blurry, so the other one gets over worked. I can't read much or look at things too often. And I'll have to tape my eye at night to sleep and use a thick eye drop to keep the cornea from drying out.
http://lorivsjourneytohealth.blogspot.com/
Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #1719
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Glad to hear things are going well - you're so close!! Did you eat similarly with you other pregnancies, or is this your first low-carb pregnancy? I haven't been counting my carbs, but I am not eating any grains, starches, sweets, etc., and only incidental fruits (like tonight I had a salad at a restaurant that had some dried cranberries and dates), so basically just meats, eggs, cheeses, and non-starchy veggies. I did start having some food aversions recently, which isn't helping, but I'm still truckin' along!
My first pregnancy I ate the brewer diet, second pregnancy I ate SAD, third pregnancy I ate whatever I wanted but stuck to a calorie budget of around 1800, and this one I've been low carb since about 15-16 weeks, after briefly going to starches for the first trimester (bad decision!).

Though I've been able to control weight gain in every single pregnancy and been healthy, this is by FAR the mot comfortable and least symptomatic I've been. I felt tired, sick, and terrible when I was eating healthfully but more Paleo than LC those first few weeks. The symptoms cleared up with a week of going straight Atkins induction. Now I hang out in the OWL rungs and don't do starchy veggies, grains, beans, and most fruit, and it has been GREAT! Rung four or so is a sweet spot for me in terms of satiety and health . I've also incidentally been lighter with every pregnancy since I began this journey right after my second was born (I was up in the 270's when I gave birth to her). Can't ask for more than better health with every baby, right?

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #1720
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
39 weeks and 2 days today. Woke up not able to move the left side of my face. Went to ER. Diganosis is Bells Palsy. Oh what fun! They put me on steroids and an anti viral med. The steroids will likely spike my blood sugar and I MAY get put on meds because of it. Thank God they are only for 6 days, hopefully I can get thru these next 6 days without much trouble with blood sugar. I feel like I'm in the home stretch, and to have to go on meds now would really suck. Will also suck being in labor feeling like this. I can barely eat or drink, as only half my mouth works. My eyes are all funky because one is blurry, so the other one gets over worked. I can't read much or look at things too often. And I'll have to tape my eye at night to sleep and use a thick eye drop to keep the cornea from drying out.
Oh no! Bell's can be so random and uncomfortable! You poor thing
Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #1721
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLINI View Post
Andi ~ I think shifting focus is a great idea. Plus, the more weight you lose, the better off you’ll be when carrying the baby.

Taryl ~ Did you find it hard to LC while pregnant?

Lori ~
Not at all. I had more food aversions in the first trimester and that's when I (stupidly) took standard medical advice and upped my carb intake with things like rice and fruit. Big mistake. Staying low carb the entire time has been very easy - the food is delicious, I can eat out with a fair bit of ease, and I have had almost no ailments like heartburn or constipation, which I struggled with when I was eating more 'normally'. My carb level, beyond the two week induction, has been quite low but terrible. I haven't yet gotten tired of eggs, sardines, steak, etc, but occasionally the preparing of raw poultry and fish grosses me out. Cooked? No issue
Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #1722
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Thanks Debbie. I have to shift focus for my own sanity. I am not coping well since the BFN offically closed the door on 1yr TTC #2.
I'm so sorry about the BFN. I get pregnant relatively easily and STILL always have a little heartbreak when we're trying for another and the sticks won't turn. Miscarrying can make it even harder emotionally, which I have dealt with too. Sometimes you just have to have a hug, a good cry, and a deep breath. I'm praying for you
Old 03-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #1723
Senior LCF Member

So far, I've been doing very well with staying low in carbs and natural in my eating (no artificial sweeteners). I've been off diet soda for more than a week when previously I often drank more diet soda per day than water! I worry about being able to stick this out for the next whole 9 months, though. I'm trying, and I'm encouraged by the others I communicate with who are due around the same time as me who are experiencing breast tenderness, morning sickness/nausea, major fatigue, weight gain, etc., as I feel 100% normal. I even peed on a stick yesterday to make sure I was still showing up as pregnant I think I'm about 6 weeks along, which is when symptoms started hitting me the first time, all of which resolved within a week of me switching my eating to be cleaner and lower in carbs. I will say I do get tired, but I'm not napping every single day like I did my first trimester of my first pregnancy. I don't have the opportunity to nap at all since I have Ben to keep me busy now!
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #1724
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
Start Date: 7/17/13
I admire anyone who can stay LC during pregnancy. Hopefully in 6+ months when I've lost weigt and we're TTC again, I get the chance to do the same.

My doc put me back on metformin to help me regulate my ovulation. She told me to keep eating well and start taking folic acid. I really hope it helps me to jump start my weight loss. I've plateaued for 4 weeks and it's very frustrating.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #1725
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
Andi, that BFN is a bummer. I'm sorry.

Lori, that sounds scary, hang in there! Just a few more days!

Suzie, still keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Brooke is a few days shy of 5 months old. Her little personality is starting to come out, but I also see my stubborn streak in her too! We've tried incorporating the rice cereal but it makes her so gassy, I wonder how her belly feels because I know what her butt's producing!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #1726
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybabyhead View Post
My doc put me back on metformin to help me regulate my ovulation. She told me to keep eating well and start taking folic acid. I really hope it helps me to jump start my weight loss. I've plateaued for 4 weeks and it's very frustrating.
I stall ALL the time - SO frustrating! I try to keep reminding myself that I'm eating for good health, not just weight loss. I was carrying about 50 extra pounds both times I got pregnant; I've never been a normal/healthy weight as an adult. Just do the best you can to be healthy for you and future baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KQT View Post
Brooke is a few days shy of 5 months old. Her little personality is starting to come out, but I also see my stubborn streak in her too! We've tried incorporating the rice cereal but it makes her so gassy, I wonder how her belly feels because I know what her butt's producing!
haha, Ben is getting a little attitude nowadays. Since he's crawling EVERYWHERE, he, of course, gets into things he shouldn't, but boy does he hate being told no!

We never did rice cereal, so if it bothers her, I would just skip it, personally. I read recently how feeding babies starchy carbs (cereals, oatmeals, grains, etc.) at under 1 year may be contributing to the childhood obesity epidemic by hitting their systems with something they can't really process. Apparently, babies don't produce enough of the enzyme amylase, which is needed to break starches down into sugars for the body to process, until they're at least a year old. I read that Canada actually changed their recommendations last year to hold off on rice cereal until a year instead of as a first food.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #1727
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
Start Date: 7/17/13
Quote:
We never did rice cereal, so if it bothers her, I would just skip it, personally. I read recently how feeding babies starchy carbs (cereals, oatmeals, grains, etc.) at under 1 year may be contributing to the childhood obesity epidemic by hitting their systems with something they can't really process.
I've read this too.

We never fed DD any cereal either. We just went to fruit, veggies, and meat around 6.5 months. Her first food was avocado and she loved it!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #1728
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybabyhead View Post
We never fed DD any cereal either. We just went to fruit, veggies, and meat around 6.5 months. Her first food was avocado and she loved it!
Ditto for Ben exactly! He still loves avocado He'll be a year on the 24th, and, as far as I know, the only grains he's ever had were in a few "puffs" at daycare before I asked her to stop letting him have them (not knowing she'd been giving him them to begin with). Now I bring her yogurt drops for his snacks.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #1729
KQT

Quote:
We never did rice cereal, so if it bothers her, I would just skip it, personally. I read recently how feeding babies starchy carbs (cereals, oatmeals, grains, etc.) at under 1 year may be contributing to the childhood obesity epidemic by hitting their systems with something they can't really process. Apparently, babies don't produce enough of the enzyme amylase, which is needed to break starches down into sugars for the body to process, until they're at least a year old. I read that Canada actually changed their recommendations last year to hold off on rice cereal until a year instead of as a first food.
Now that you say that, she is on the similac sensitive so maybe I should look around at some alternatives or just hold off a little longer and introduce real foods later. My pause was that I didn't want to close the door so quickly if it was just normal baby reactions to first grains. However, I was shocked to see how many times my BIL/his GF give their baby gas drops and they're feeding her rice cereal daily.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #1730

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
We did egg yolks first and interestingly we then went to ground beef which he loved. James is walking everywhere now and that makes life a million times easier. Especially at the hockey arena.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #1731
Major LCF Poster!

Walking is awesome. I've found it far more helpful than not, but I'm lucky my kids are late walkers and by the time they get bipedal their judgment is pretty good and the trouble they get into is fairly minimal . Walking babies (6-12 month walkers) are trickier for sure
Old 03-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #1732

Lori - so sorry about the bells!

Krissy - With DS, we started with avocado and skipped the ceral altogether.

Suzanne - Yay!!!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #1733
Senior LCF Member

Ben's not walking yet (he turns 1 on the 24th), but he crawls all over the place and has started pulling himself up to stand. He takes itty bitty steps while holding onto things, so I think he'll be furniture cruising within a week or two.

FINALLY got him a convertible car seat. Time to retire the infant carrier (well, until October/November!).

I'm not having any morning sickness, thankfully, but almost every time I sit down to a meal, I get grossed out by the food after about 1-5 bites. I'm practically living on mixed nuts right now. I usually have cheese for breakfast and then nuts twice throughout the day (afternoon snack and after dinner). I tried to have some fish and green beans for dinner but couldn't stomach the thought of a second bite after the first At least Ben enjoyed the fish and green beans

After Ben and me having been sick back and forth for weeks, my husband finally caught a bug, so now I have two babies to take care of
Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #1734

39W4D, still pregnant. Face still paralyzed. My last steroids are on Saturday, so I'm hoping she comes on Sunday. And I'm hoping my face will be mostly back to normal by then. I went to a pregnancy chiropractor twice, and have been getting some twitching in my eye and lip. Which is a good sign! My eye brow looks like it's back to where it should be, but my mouth is still useless.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #1735

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
Hello everyone. Sorry I haven't been around. We are still out of town with family until Sunday. It's been a nice visit. We left Stella with my mother the other night while we went to a hockey game. I was so nervous! First time I left her! She did great though.

Good luck Lori!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #1736
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SouthernCJ
Stats: 146/Pregnant!/129 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2009
Quote:
39W4D, still pregnant. Face still paralyzed. My last steroids are on Saturday, so I'm hoping she comes on Sunday. And I'm hoping my face will be mostly back to normal by then. I went to a pregnancy chiropractor twice, and have been getting some twitching in my eye and lip. Which is a good sign! My eye brow looks like it's back to where it should be, but my mouth is still useless.
Fingers crossed for continued improvement! Not too much longer, I know we are all waiting on Baby Rose!

What do you guys think of these names? Husband and I have settled on Joanne as a middle name, after his grandmother who I adore and am very close with. For first names we have:

Evelyn
Hannah
Isabelle
Aimee (his pick I am so-so on it)
Danielle (both of our dads are named Daniel and it is the first grandchild on both sides, thought this would be fun to honor them and I like the name)
Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #1737

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
I like Evelyn. I'm very into the old fashioned names though. (Hence my danger Stella grace). I also like Danielle. That's a cute idea
Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #1738
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I can't imagine how scary it must have been the morning you woke up with this issue. Is this something that will resolve once you've had the baby? I'm completely unfamiliar with it. I hope she arrives soon!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCJ View Post
What do you guys think of these names? Husband and I have settled on Joanne as a middle name, after his grandmother who I adore and am very close with. For first names we have:

Evelyn
Hannah
Isabelle
Danielle (both of our dads are named Daniel and it is the first grandchild on both sides, thought this would be fun to honor them and I like the name)
I like Evelyn and Danielle. Well, I like Hannah and Isabelle, too (my adorable niece is an Isabelle!), but I'm not sure they go as well with Joanne. I would be leaning toward Danielle only because I really love names with sentimental meaning for the parents. I couldn't be happier we went with my father's name as Ben's middle name. If we have a girl, she will be named after my husband's grandmother and great grandmother (Jean and Elizabeth, so we would name her Elizabeth Jean).
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #1739
KQT

My friend named his little girl Isabelle and they call her Izzy. We've called our friend Hannah "hannah banana" since grade school. We also have an evelyn in the family but we call her Evvie like "ever". We've started calling brooke: brooker, brookie boo-boo, or brookie cookie.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #1740

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCJ View Post
Fingers crossed for continued improvement! Not too much longer, I know we are all waiting on Baby Rose!

Evelyn
Hannah
Isabelle
I think Danielle is a beautiful idea! That would be so special.
Closed Thread