Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #1231
Senior LCF Member
 
jillybean720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 641
Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCJ View Post
If you guys want to recommend any must have baby gear feel free
I am the queen of being prepared for major events! I spent months figuring out what to get, what to have extras of, exactly which brand/model of each thing I wanted, etc. I read "must-have" lists online, a few books and magazines, communicated in multiple online forums, and talked to friends and family who have kids. And then I had my baby. And now, my biggest piece of advice to new-moms-to-be is...don't try to be so prepared Seriously, I have SO MUCH CRAP that people swore up and down I would need that I never even used once. You really won't know until you have your baby and see the baby's temperament and preferences, as well as your preferences as the mother. A few examples:
  • A friend with a one-year-old told me to stock up on gas drops (simethicone). Reading many resources confirmed that babies get gassy, and gassy often leads to fussy. On her recommendation, I bought a small bottle to keep in the diaper bag, another to keep in the nursery, and a couple more to have as backup. In the 9 months I've had my son, I think we used the gas drops exactly twice, and they didn't even help when we did use them!
  • My then coworker with a small child insists on buying a Bumbo for every baby shower because she just adored hers so much and used it to death. She even used it with the tray instead of a high chair. I got one (for free, luckily, handed down from a friend). I think my son sat in it twice, and now his thighs are too big. Waste of space.
  • A friend loaned us a Mamaroo (if you don't know what it is, you can check it out on 4moms.com). It's supposed to be the greatest thing for babies and a hundred times better than a regular baby swing. I tried putting my son in it a few times, and he was thoroughly unimpressed. Bigger waste of space. Thank goodness no one spent actual money on it for us (they're not cheap!).
  • Along similar lines as the mamaroo, most mothers will swear up, down, left, and right by their infant swing. We never had one, never used one, never needed one.
  • Many moms find a changing table unnecessary and a waste of space. I use mine every day, multiple times a day. It's where I get him ready for his day in the morning and ready for bed at night. I'm sure we'd be fine without it, but I really like spending time with him in his room.
  • Yet another friend said to stock up on button-up, zip-up, or side-snap style clothes because babies spit up/throw up a lot, and you don't want to have to pull a wet/dirty onesie up over their head to change them. Made perfect sense. Problem was, my son has never puked and didn't spit up much; we have almost never had to change his clothes other than to/from pajamas. I had a bunch of side-snap infant clothes we never really used.
Have some infant clothes (not a ton - you don't know what size your baby will be at birth; I know many people whose babies did fit into "newborn" size or who had so many clothes in small sizes that baby outgrew the size while many clothes still had tags on them), a good new carseat, a place for baby to sleep, and supplies for feeding (and have a little formula on hand just in case - I was NOT prepared to formula feed, and it was a big scurry when I wasn't producing enough milk to feed my baby). You can fill in the gaps as you go along
__________________
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
jillybean720 is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #1232
Way too much time on my hands!
 
DisneyPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Camp Lejeune, N.C.
Posts: 34,239
Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
I couldn't live without the boppy!!!
DisneyPrincess is offline  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #1233
Major LCF Poster!
 
SouthernCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,146
Gallery: SouthernCJ
Stats: 146/Pregnant!/129 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2009
Jilly-Thank you SO much! This is exactly what I was looking for. My mom and MIL both agree with you. A good carseat, somewhere for baby to sleep, and a couple outfits. I've got a couple boxes of diapers. Good call on the formula! I will be sure to pick up a can or two just to have on hand (and some bottles too?). I will err on the side of minimalism while baby is tiny.

I think that I'm going to just outfit the nursery how I like to start, and put away money for when I am on maternity leave and to pay the doctor bill. Do you guys mind me asking how much you paid the hospital after L & D? Our doctor bill comes to $1032 with deductibles and whatnot, I didn't think that was bad. They said the hospital charges too, though, not sure what to expect there.

The grandmas have already bought SO much clothing! We weren't expecting a girl and everyone is going wild
__________________
SouthernCJ is offline  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #1234
Way too much time on my hands!
 
pocahontas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: living the SLO life
Posts: 15,948
Gallery: pocahontas
CJ - Here are the things we used most often:

1. Changing table (not necessary for everyone but we use it)
2. Car seat duh
3. Crib
4. Rock n play - I seriously love this thing! It folds flat, is great for traveling and for moving from room to room. DS slept in it next to our bed for months. You cant use it once they can sit up on their own but we used it daily until then. Best $50 I ever spent. It also holds them at an incline which helps with gassy/fussy babies.
5. Boppy pillow - Great for nursing!
6. - Ergo carrier, we loved this when DS was super small but he got heavy and big fast. It was great for the first year.
7 - BOB stroller - Couldnt live without it, still use it daily.

DS also skipped anything in newborn size and wore all size 1's in diapers and clothes. We opted not to buy anything until after our shower(s) because we knew we would have plenty to get him through his first few weeks. And we didnt know if we were having a boy or girl!

ETA: I have HMO and paid only $1,500 for the entire thing. I had a c-section and we stayed in the hospital for 72hrs (req for c-sects) but I was only responsible for the hospital stay at $500 per night.
__________________
***Andi***


Last edited by pocahontas; 01-08-2013 at 02:29 PM..
pocahontas is offline  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #1235
Way too much time on my hands!
 
pocahontas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: living the SLO life
Posts: 15,948
Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCJ View Post
We weren't expecting a girl and everyone is going wild
Why werent you expecting a girl? You have a 50/50 chance ya know!
pocahontas is offline  
Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #1236
Major LCF Poster!
 
SouthernCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,146
Gallery: SouthernCJ
Stats: 146/Pregnant!/129 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Why werent you expecting a girl? You have a 50/50 chance ya know!
I was SO sure it was a boy, I had everyone else talked into it! I guess I am very persuasive!!! My husband laughed at me for ages because I was so stunned!
SouthernCJ is offline  
Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #1237
Way too much time on my hands!
 
DisneyPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Camp Lejeune, N.C.
Posts: 34,239
Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
Am I the only one who hasn't paid for l&d?

Baby has been good today but she has gas and needs to poop so she's been a tiny fussy. My milk came in early this morning so I'm sure that's the culprit.
DisneyPrincess is offline  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #1238
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Lori37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,093
Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
The midnight eating didn't work! My blood sugar was higher then ever this morning at 130! My fight is wearing down. So tired of worrying about this blood sugar all the time.

Got REALLY dizzy at work today, felt like I was going to fall. The room was spinning. I ate something low carb and then I was fine, but I checked my blood sugar and it was within a normal range, 103. Went to the doc a couple hours later and my blood pressure was ok too. Now I just feel really "off". Like I might be coming down with a stomach bug (again) or something. poop.

I must be tacky because I can't help but look at my registry! My baby shower is this Sunday!
A gift arrived in the mail today from a friend I haven't seen since my wedding day over 5 years ago, it was a Pack and play! I thought that was a pretty amazing gift for someone I haven't seen in so long!


The pack and play I picked out has a newborn napper and a changing table, I plan to keep that in the living room for the baby during day time hours.
I too am trying to keep things really minimal.

The important things to me on my registry are:
Stroller/carseat
Sling/baby carrier
diaper bag
grooming kit (nail clippers, suction, etc)
Organic shampoo and lotions
boppy
pack and play
Already have a co sleeper
a couple sheets
Wash clothes and baby towels
simple onsies
baby book
gDiapers (been scoring all kinds of free ones on FB!)
a few disposable diapers
burp clothes
Wipes



I have bought a couple outfits, one thing important to think about is what the weather will be like when your baby is big enough to fit in it.
I'm not buying anything in Newborn or 0-3 since you usually get tons of that at the shower. I've mostly bought 3-6 months or 6-9 months. So think about what the weather will be like 3 months after the baby is born. For my baby due in March, 3-6 months later will be summer, so I won't want to buy clothes that are too warm for that weather.
__________________
Proud member of the So Cal Losers!
\
Follow my journey to 100 pounds lost.
http://lorivsjourneytohealth.blogspot.com/
Lori37 is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #1239
KQT
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KQT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: the mitten state
Posts: 10,562
Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
My entire pregnancy and L&D was 100% covered by my insurance, which was a good thing since I was in the office twice a week for NST's from 30 weeks on.

I am annoyed with all these baby product recalls. We love the rock n play! We received the nap nanny as a shower gift, and I had the recalled bumbo. She's getting too big for the nap nanny but the rock n play gets used everyday, we will just have to check it for mold.

We lucked out with showers, one was "bring a book" and the other was "diapers and wipes" so we've only bought 2 packages of nb and a box of 1's as a gift to BIL's baby. I have started watching the papers for coupons on those, and Similac is always sending us $5 off which is great to pair with the store sale.
__________________
~Krissy~
♥baby girl♥ born 10/17/12!
KQT is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 AM   #1240
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Lori37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,093
Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
So I got up at 330am this morning, couldn't sleep anymore, so I checked my blood sugar and it was 90! Great! Got up and ate a tbsp peanut butter (sugar free) and a cheese stick and went to the gym for 25 minutes of cardio. When I was done around 445am, my blood sugar was 112-120 depending on which machine I used. I thought that was a little high for having worked out and not really eaten much. At 540am I ate my breakfast, just a mock danish, so 1 egg and 2oz cream cheese with splenda and cinnamon. Curious to see what my blood sugar is when I check it. Hopefully it's good!

I guess I need to start getting up at 330am to get good fasting numbers! LOL



Update....one hour after eating breakfast, my blood sugar was 97! I'm happy with that!

Last edited by Lori37; 01-09-2013 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: Update!
Lori37 is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #1241
Major LCF Poster!
 
SouthernCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,146
Gallery: SouthernCJ
Stats: 146/Pregnant!/129 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2009
You guys are awesome! This is such a huge help. We are planning on Baby CJ being pretty big, I was 8-10 and her dad was 9-6 (his younger sister was 10!). I wasn't even planning on buying newborn diapers since the 1's I have say 8-14 pounds.

I am so incredibly envious that you guys have insurance that covered you 100%! My OB/GYN's financial person I talked to seemed incredibly impressed with my insurance, she said it was much better than what she usually sees. My labs and ultrasounds are covered 100% at least!

I got an email from Babies R Us this morning saying that they are having an 8 hour furniture sale from 11a to 8 p, just FYI!
SouthernCJ is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #1242
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Lori37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,093
Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCJ View Post
You guys are awesome! This is such a huge help. We are planning on Baby CJ being pretty big, I was 8-10 and her dad was 9-6 (his younger sister was 10!). I wasn't even planning on buying newborn diapers since the 1's I have say 8-14 pounds.

I am so incredibly envious that you guys have insurance that covered you 100%! My OB/GYN's financial person I talked to seemed incredibly impressed with my insurance, she said it was much better than what she usually sees. My labs and ultrasounds are covered 100% at least!

I got an email from Babies R Us this morning saying that they are having an 8 hour furniture sale from 11a to 8 p, just FYI!



Going with my HMO insurance, I had a $30 co pay at my first OB visit, and then I believe I pay $100 for delivery at the hospital and another $100 or so to the doctor.
But if going with my midwife, I have paid $5600 and includes my prenatal visits starting at 25 weeks, water delivery, everything needed in doing that and my post partum visits. Labs and ultrasounds are extra. And because of the GD, I'm having to see a Perinatologist...as a cash patient.
I was quoted $750-850 for the first visit/ultrasound and $250-350 for up to 8 more appt after that.
Luckily so far I've only had one appt and he knocked the bill down to $450. I don't go back til I'm 34 weeks, so I have no idea how they will be able to fit in another 8 appts in that time frame before I'm due! So hopefully it won't cost me as much!
Lori37 is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #1243
Senior LCF Member
 
Oregon Transplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 621
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: A long time ago
Congratulations DP! Stella is so cute!
Oregon Transplant is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #1244
Way too much time on my hands!
 
pocahontas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: living the SLO life
Posts: 15,948
Gallery: pocahontas
Lori - 3:30am it is! Seriously, this is so strange and I bet you are so tired of dealing with it.

I am 7DPO today and going totally nutso! I really need to chillax because its not like I am new to this and I know it can take some time to get a BFP.
pocahontas is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #1245
Senior LCF Member
 
jillybean720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 641
Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
My scale said 199 yesterday morning (didn't weigh today since my husband was in the shower when I got up, and I couldn't wait for him before I got dressed). Gotta get crackin'!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCJ View Post
Do you guys mind me asking how much you paid the hospital after L & D? Our doctor bill comes to $1032 with deductibles and whatnot, I didn't think that was bad. They said the hospital charges too, though, not sure what to expect there.
Wish I could be more helpful, but I only had to pay a few copays. I think the hospital stay (inpatient stay, regardless of how many days, was one flat copay) was $250, and I'd paid my doc maybe a few hundred dollars for the full 9 months of check-ups, so maybe a grand total of $600 max. My insurance covered everything else. Thank GOODNESS because my short term disability only paid me 60% of my normal salary, and my doc pulled me out of work a month before my due date due to my BP, so I was on the disability longer than we'd planned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
The midnight eating didn't work! My blood sugar was higher then ever this morning at 130! My fight is wearing down. So tired of worrying about this blood sugar all the time.

Got REALLY dizzy at work today, felt like I was going to fall. The room was spinning. I ate something low carb and then I was fine, but I checked my blood sugar and it was within a normal range, 103. Went to the doc a couple hours later and my blood pressure was ok too. Now I just feel really "off". Like I might be coming down with a stomach bug (again) or something. poop.
What did you eat when you woke up? Maybe try adjusting to add carbs if you didn't have any or drop carbs if you had some? Also, beware that being sick can also affect your glucose levels, so if you're coming down with another bug, that could throw things out of whack for a few days. That said, I sometimes got dizzy/lightheaded when I was pregnant even if my glucose and bp were normal; your body is just sending blood to more/different areas, and things are functioning a bit differently. It happened more the further along I was. Standing up long enough to take a shower became particularly difficult in the last couple months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
I too am trying to keep things really minimal.

The important things to me on my registry are:
Stroller/carseat
Sling/baby carrier
diaper bag
grooming kit (nail clippers, suction, etc)
Organic shampoo and lotions
boppy
pack and play
Already have a co sleeper
a couple sheets
Wash clothes and baby towels
simple onsies
baby book
gDiapers (been scoring all kinds of free ones on FB!)
a few disposable diapers
burp clothes
Wipes
Good tips on the clothing sizes/seasons. I just packed up some short-sleeved onesies that I think Ben wore just once or twice because, umm, it's January :P
The sling/carrier is another one that you might want to hold off on or borrow from friends to try when baby arrives. I have some friends whose babies HATED being in a sling, some whose babies loved the sling, etc. I got a Moby handed down from my sister, and, while I didn't mind wearing it, Ben didn't seem to enjoy it, so I think I used it literally twice. I borrowed a Lillebaby carrier (very much like an Ergo) from a friend, and he liked that much more. Ya just never know, and some of those things are VERY expensive!

When I ended up not being able to breastfeed, I thought my two Boppy pillows would be useless, but Ben liked napping in them, using them for "tummy time," using it to sort of prop him up when he was first learning to sit up...I'm so glad we had two of them! He even still naps on them if he happens to fall asleep out in the living room. Also, my small dogs love sleeping in them, too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
So I got up at 330am this morning, couldn't sleep anymore, so I checked my blood sugar and it was 90! Great! Got up and ate a tbsp peanut butter (sugar free) and a cheese stick and went to the gym for 25 minutes of cardio. When I was done around 445am, my blood sugar was 112-120 depending on which machine I used. I thought that was a little high for having worked out and not really eaten much. At 540am I ate my breakfast, just a mock danish, so 1 egg and 2oz cream cheese with splenda and cinnamon. Curious to see what my blood sugar is when I check it. Hopefully it's good!
For many, exercise will cause a brief increase in glucose levels as the liver is dumping glucose into your bloodstream to fuel your workout. But, since exercise also helps to "open up" insulin-resistant cells, it should help to bring levels back down a while later and help to manage levels over the long run.

Can I just say how much glucose issues suck? Your frustrations are all a million percent normal AND are magnified because you're not just worried about the potential effects on YOU but also on your baby, so I totally feel your frustration. Please know, though, that the levels you're recording are NOT outrageously high, and I'd be willing to bet money your baby is going to be just fine And it goes to show what a great mom you're going to be that you're trying so hard!
jillybean720 is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #1246
Way too much time on my hands!
 
DisneyPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Camp Lejeune, N.C.
Posts: 34,239
Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
I agree about the sling/carrier. I never used one with my son.

Jilly- starting tomorrow I'm going to weigh and start trying to lose this baby weight. We can be buddies
DisneyPrincess is offline  
Old 01-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #1247
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Lori37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,093
Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Lori - 3:30am it is! Seriously, this is so strange and I bet you are so tired of dealing with it.

I am 7DPO today and going totally nutso! I really need to chillax because its not like I am new to this and I know it can take some time to get a BFP.
Yup I guess so! Going to push it tomorrow and try to sleep til 4am, I don't know how many days in a row I can do 330 wake up calls...though I should probably get used to it!
Relax, take a deep breath! Crossing fingers for you girl!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post

For many, exercise will cause a brief increase in glucose levels as the liver is dumping glucose into your bloodstream to fuel your workout. But, since exercise also helps to "open up" insulin-resistant cells, it should help to bring levels back down a while later and help to manage levels over the long run.

Can I just say how much glucose issues suck? Your frustrations are all a million percent normal AND are magnified because you're not just worried about the potential effects on YOU but also on your baby, so I totally feel your frustration. Please know, though, that the levels you're recording are NOT outrageously high, and I'd be willing to bet money your baby is going to be just fine And it goes to show what a great mom you're going to be that you're trying so hard!


Thanks and THANK YOU! I really feel they aren't high enough to hurt the baby, but I gotta avoid that damn medication! lol.
I have an appointment set for next week with a new OB. My insurance changed my docs on the 1st and I was just going to skip a new OB since I have the midwife, but with the blood sugar issues I decided I should get the ball rolling just in case. I don't want to stress about it later. And I "know" this OB. I used to work with him, he delivered my sisters baby 11 years ago and a good friends baby 3 years ago, I got to attend that birth. And this puts me at the Fanciest nicest hospital in our area.....celebs often have their babies there. Ocean view out your window, filet mignon for dinner have you deliver. These things help make me a little more comfortable about going the hospital route. (Yes i've researched their stats too!)


Made it to the gym a second time today for another quick 20 minute cardio burst. I came home hardly able to walk (I have a bad back) and hubby asked if we were going for a walk tonight! Thoughtful of him, I know he's trying to help, but common, I can only do so much!lol
Lori37 is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #1248
Senior LCF Member
 
jillybean720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 641
Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess View Post
Jilly- starting tomorrow I'm going to weigh and start trying to lose this baby weight. We can be buddies
heh, well, I'll be starting yet again tomorrow One of the guys at work treated us to a Japanese hibachi place for lunch, and I SO ate the rice! I was so hungry by the time we got there that I ate EVERYTHING, but the rest was all meat and veggies, at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
And this puts me at the Fanciest nicest hospital in our area.....celebs often have their babies there. Ocean view out your window, filet mignon for dinner have you deliver. These things help make me a little more comfortable about going the hospital route. (Yes i've researched their stats too!)
Oh la la The hospital where I delivered Ben was great; I opted for it over a couple that were closer to home because it has the best NICU in the area (luckily, we didn't need it!). They had a menu for the new moms to order room service whenever they wanted, as much as they wanted. It was supposed to be only for the mother, but since there was no limit on how much you could order, I would order food for my husband, too If we have another baby, I'll use a different hospital; there are two near our new home. Both are good as far as stats and such, but one is nice and new; the other is older but has a whole separate "women's" wing (including L&D) and has a pretty large midwives practice right across the street. Can I ask what led you to choose a midwife over an OB? I did fine with my OB before, but she's too far away from where we are now, so I'll have to find someone else. I want to avoid a C-section and would rather not be induced, but I also know I want the epidural, so not sure where a midwife sort of draws the line, so to speak.
jillybean720 is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #1249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Suzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,824
Gallery: Suzie
DH brought home these super cute sleepers today! Connor will no be ready right away to play super heroes with his cousins!

They are each a pack of two. I think they are so cute!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg super hero outfits.jpg (55.3 KB, 2 views)
Suzie is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #1250
Way too much time on my hands!
 
pocahontas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: living the SLO life
Posts: 15,948
Gallery: pocahontas
adorbs sleepers!
pocahontas is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #1251
Senior LCF Member
 
jillybean720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 641
Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
DH brought home these super cute sleepers today! Connor will no be ready right away to play super heroes with his cousins!

They are each a pack of two. I think they are so cute!
YES! Kmart carried Superman and Batman onesies and sleepers for a while, so we had Superman onesies for Ben, but they don't seem to be stocking them anymore, which is disappointing because I was never able to find the Batman ones in the right size. Good find for your husband!
jillybean720 is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #1252
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Suzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,824
Gallery: Suzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
YES! Kmart carried Superman and Batman onesies and sleepers for a while, so we had Superman onesies for Ben, but they don't seem to be stocking them anymore, which is disappointing because I was never able to find the Batman ones in the right size. Good find for your husband!
He got them at Kmart! He is receiving manager, so he actually grabbed them before they even hit the floor when he saw them. So, maybe they are starting to stock them again? My mom asked if they were new product, because she was apparently looking at the baby clothes last week and didn't see them. He said he wasn't sure, he just saw them in back and liked them.
Suzie is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #1253
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Lori37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,093
Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
. Can I ask what led you to choose a midwife over an OB? I did fine with my OB before, but she's too far away from where we are now, so I'll have to find someone else. I want to avoid a C-section and would rather not be induced, but I also know I want the epidural, so not sure where a midwife sort of draws the line, so to speak.
Well, when I was 19-21 I worked in the post partum unit at a hospital. It was great, I learned a lot and saw a lot. Things I probably shouldn't post in here as I don't want to scare anybody. Feel free to private message me.
But when I was 22 I became a massage therapist and dreamed of doing pregnancy/labor massage since I was already familiar with pregnant women. My friend bought me a book about Midwifery, by the top midwife in American. Ina May Gaskin. By the time I had finished that book I knew delivering outside of the hospital was for me!
Over the years hubby and I have seen many documentaries and read several books about the topics. And the statistics seem to show that home is the safest place for a low risk woman to deliver. Most countries it's unheard of to have a baby in a hospital and they tend to have lower rates of all the bad stuff. The key word being "low risk woman". Indeed there are many times when the safest place IS in the hospital.

I'm wary of (especially around here) the interventions most hospitals do automatically that end up causing problems, or leading to C Section. ie. pitocin, leads to stronger contractions, most women need an epidural and need it earlier when on pitocin, getting an epidural too early can lead to a slow down or stop in dilation, which then becomes "diagnosed" a failure to progress, and becomes a C section.
Every time watch a "baby story" and see a women get an epi too early, I cringe and say to myself "She's gonna end up a c section" and during every episode I've said that...sure enough...the outcome is C section.
Some times you can know too much for your own good. And some times I think I do!

We have our first meeting of our Birth class tonight! It's at a local Natural living place called "Granola Babies". This should be fun!
Lori37 is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #1254
Way too much time on my hands!
 
pocahontas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: living the SLO life
Posts: 15,948
Gallery: pocahontas
Have fun at your birth class Lori! I totally agree that often times women get their epi far too early. I knew when I got pg that I wanted an epi but not until I was dilated to 4 at least and I DID NOT want pitocin. So many of my friends got theirs too early or in combo with pitocin and were in labor for days. A recent one ended in a c-sect after 48+hrs.

When my BP skyrocketed and we had to make a move, I chose a c-sect over the induction and I am glad I did. I asked my doc point blank and she was very frank with me and said that I would likely end up with a c-sect anyhow. I actually loved my c-sect and will opt for a repeat with number 2.
pocahontas is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #1255
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Lori37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,093
Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Have fun at your birth class Lori! I totally agree that often times women get their epi far too early. I knew when I got pg that I wanted an epi but not until I was dilated to 4 at least and I DID NOT want pitocin. So many of my friends got theirs too early or in combo with pitocin and were in labor for days. A recent one ended in a c-sect after 48+hrs.

When my BP skyrocketed and we had to make a move, I chose a c-sect over the induction and I am glad I did. I asked my doc point blank and she was very frank with me and said that I would likely end up with a c-sect anyhow. I actually loved my c-sect and will opt for a repeat with number 2.

A nurse at the hospital that I was going to go to, flat out told me that I would have to fight hard not to be given pitocin because they usually give to every one! Yeah......that's not good. Glad I'm outta that hospital!
Lori37 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #1256
Way too much time on my hands!
 
DisneyPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Camp Lejeune, N.C.
Posts: 34,239
Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
With my first labor/delivery induction I was given the pitociin and it absolutely made things worse! With Stella they actually turned it off because I was having too many contractions. When they turned it off I was still contracting hard on my own. I wish I didn't have to have it at all!!

I have such a good baby girl. She only wakes up once a night to feed and doesn't even wake crying! She is having some tummy troubles though. Very gassy and has very very runny stools. I'm hoping its just her getting used to my milk.
__________________
Pre-pregnancy: 118.0
Pregnancy: 153.5
Postpartum 1/10/13: 142.0
Current 12/7: 98.0
Goal: healtHy and fit
DisneyPrincess is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #1257
Senior LCF Member
 
jillybean720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 641
Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Target has a printable coupon on their website for $6 off Gerber Good Start formula (the plastic tubs - there's another coupon for I think $3 off the smaller cans). That's a great deal if anyone uses that. We use the Gerber Good Start Protect because it contains probiotics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
He got them at Kmart! He is receiving manager, so he actually grabbed them before they even hit the floor when he saw them. So, maybe they are starting to stock them again? My mom asked if they were new product, because she was apparently looking at the baby clothes last week and didn't see them. He said he wasn't sure, he just saw them in back and liked them.
Oooh, maybe they're a newer style, so the other ones were phased out - I'll have to check my Kmarts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
Over the years hubby and I have seen many documentaries and read several books about the topics. And the statistics seem to show that home is the safest place for a low risk woman to deliver. Most countries it's unheard of to have a baby in a hospital and they tend to have lower rates of all the bad stuff. The key word being "low risk woman". Indeed there are many times when the safest place IS in the hospital.
Yeah, I did some reading and watched a documentary (the name escapes me - the one with Ricki Lake). But I still chose the hospital and epidural - just personal preference to not have to experience excruciating pain if I can avoid it. Let me tell you, the contractions I DID feel were worse than any pain my husband will likely ever have to endure, so I'm good That said, I never got a drop of pitocin (well, they often give it AFTER the delivery to keep the contractions going, and I think I did get it then - I had a baby in my arms and was no longer paying much attention to what they were doing to me - same reason I didn't even notice the doc stitching me up until she was almost done!). I actually didn't get my epidural until I was at least 7cm; they'd last checked me in triage, and I was 6, and then they took FOREVER (well, everything feels like forever when you're having strong contractions) to get the IV started and get me into an actual L&D room. So, I think I actually got mine too late, as I still felt the unmistakable pain of every single contraction; the epidural was just enough to curb the burning/pressure/pain of the actual pushing and delivery. I actually had a super easy L&D (despite feeling the contractions I'd hoped to avoid with the epidural!) and hope I am as lucky if we have another
jillybean720 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #1258
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Lori37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,093
Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
The Ricki Lake docu is called "The Business of being Born" There's a part 2 now! My Midwife is actually in the credits for that docu, as she's a bit on the popular side for midwives and works with Ina May often.

I'm always glad when I hear of a hospital birth that went great! So happy for you!
Lori37 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #1259
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Lori37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,093
Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
I didn't make my 4am work out today as we were out late at my birth class last night. But my Blood sugar was still in the 90's today!
Lori37 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #1260
Thick and Delicious
 
CARLINI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 8,815
Gallery: CARLINI
Stats: 303/252/140
WOE: Eating REAL food
Start Date: 2/14/2004
Stella!

Just a quick update on me... I had a miscarriage last night. I was bleeding from day one with this baby, but I was closely monitored and I believe we did everything we could, including bed rest. I need some time to heal, but will probably consult a RE as our next step when we’re ready.
CARLINI is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.