Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #1201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Suzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCJ View Post
DP: I hope you can get some relief! Now that your mom is here I would say let's get her out!

Andi: If I were you I would just tell them to hold the x-rays, normal dental work should be okay.

Lori: Don't give up girl! You can do it. It looks like you are eating healthier than I have for the last couple months that's for sure. And exercising more too.

I was finally able to go to yoga this morning, it felt amazing to be back! My teacher is amazing and gave me all the modifications I need to do while pregnant to stay in my power yoga class. I'm thrilled! Doing her pilates/yoga fusion class on Wednesday night. Trying to work two days of cardio back in to my week. My pup needs some exercise too so I'm sure she'll be excited to hit the road again.

Do you guys know what's up with the new healthcare law and breast pumps? I was under the impression that if I order one through my doctor's office that my insurance will pay for it? Can anyone recommend a brand?
Oh my goodness! I had not heard this! I immediately did a little research and it appears my insurance will pay for one 100%! Thanks for sharing this tidbit! I have to choose one of their suppliers and one of the pumps those people will provide, but it looks like there are quite a few options between the different suppliers!

ETA: I will have to do some research myself, because I'm not sure what brands are better either!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #1202
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Happy Sunday! I had a long night last night. I had some work to do, so I did what I could from home, then went to the office. I thought I'd only be there for maybe an hour, but then I noticed something that needed to be corrected, which set off a bit of a domino effect of additional tasks, and I ended up being there for closer to 3 hours. But, work is done now, so good to go - and thankfully, my office is less than 10 minutes from my house.

After that, I went grocery shopping. Thank you Wegmans, for being open until midnight! I didn't get home until about 10:30, so it was past midnight by the time I got everything put away (including cleaning some "expired" leftovers out of my fridge and running the dishwasher) and wound down. I'm normally in bed by about 10:30 since Ben was born, so that was a late night for me. Ben started waking up around 6:15 this morning, but I don't go get him until 7:15-7:30 unless he actually cries, which, luckily, he didn't. He just lays there "talking" to his stuffed monster until I go get him up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
Thanks! My sister was going to give us a crib for free, but didn't have anything left that matched it. My nephew repeatedly tried to climb the dresser/changing table, so the drawers broke. I couldn't pass up the deal on this matching set!
Honestly, I didn't love the color of the crib/changing table (we didn't want any other furniture in the room for now - all his clothes are in the closet). I got the bright idea to paint the crib white. After a weekend of working on it with my parents, they ended up taking it home with them and doing it for us. It was SO much work and probably cost close to $100 when all was said and done for the surface prep, non-toxic paint (in case he chews on the rails), a variety of brushes/tools we tried to not leave bristle lines...if I'd known what a pain it was going to be, I would have just bought a new one :P But it looks good now
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess View Post
I'm going to get checked today to make sure I'm good to be induced tomorrow night. I'm really hoping they will keep me. I feel rotten
I hope all is going well, and the next post is a happy one with an amazing photo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
I will test on Sunday the 13th at 11 DPO because I am supposed to go in on Monday the 14th for some dental work and I am not sure if I can have it done if I am pg.
I went to the dentist in my first trimester. They didn't do X-rays since I Was pregnant, but they did the rest of the cleaning like normal. I had a cavity I needed to have addressed, and I did some research online. The verdict was that the second half of pregnancy was the best time for dental work, but I honestly don't remember why. Maybe just give the dentist's office a call? Just tell them you're pregnant (even if it's not confirmed yet - no need to confuse them) and see if they recommend waiting on what you're supposed to have done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
I worry that by not getting these blood sugars under control I could be hurting Rose, even though it's just the fasting blood sugar that's not where it should be.
Take a deep breath. For starters, fastings in the very low 100s are nowhere near "out of control." I know outside of pregnancy, it's commonly held that glucose levels above 140 are where real damage starts happening in the body. Based on your diet and the fasting numbers you're seeing, I would bet a large sum of money that those fasting numbers are the result of a morning increase in glucose levels, NOT the result of coming down from a higher spike. That means the fasting numbers you're seeing are likely the highest you're reaching all night/morning. This is good news - it's not like you're going to bed with readings in the 200s, and you're "only" back down to 110 or so in the morning - THAT would be a major concern. Your fastings are only slightly elevated, and, in my non-medical opinion, not dangerously so. I personally would be more concerned about the potential effects of medication daily on my baby than a single, likely brief period of very slightly increased glucose levels once a day.

Have you tried including some carbs with your evening snack? Maybe a few apple slices with cheese or peanut butter - keep some protein and fat, just work in a few carbs. Sometimes, the cause of high fasting levels is a natural occurrence commonly referred to as "dawn phenomenon." In short, everyone's body, diabetic or not, releases some extra glucose from the liver to give you the energy to wake up in the morning. Those with a compromised insulin/glucose cycle just don't quite cover that bump of glucose well enough or quickly enough, which shows up as a higher fasting blood glucose level. Some find that having carbs with their evening snack sort of gives their liver something else to work on (same theory as to why an evening glass of wine helps some - the liver is working on the sugar and alcohol). Just maybe something to try.

In any case, your numbers are NOT outrageous, and your diet looks great. Don't beat yourself up; I'm sure your little Rose is thriving on all that fabulous protein and fat you're providing her for growth and development! It sounds like even your doc isn't too worried about your recent reported fasting levels, so keep up the good work!
Quote:
Do you guys know what's up with the new healthcare law and breast pumps? I was under the impression that if I order one through my doctor's office that my insurance will pay for it? Can anyone recommend a brand?
I haven't heard anything about this. I know some insurance companies already provide a hefty discount on breast pumps, so check with your specific plan. Also, I HIGHLY recommend holding off on a breast pump purchase until after baby arrives. I would start by renting a pump from the hospital. Yes, they're bigger and heavier, but they're also stronger. Make sure pumping works for you before you invest in purchasing one. Some women don't respond to the pump. I had the horrible experience of not producing milk; I would use my hospital rented pump every 2-3 hours around the clock (even overnight) and end up with only about 2.5 ounces TOTAL - not per session, but total in a 24-hour period. That wasn't even enough for ONE bottle for my baby. I was glad I hadn't spent the $$ on a home breast pump since breastfeeding didn't work out for us at all.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #1203
KQT
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
My insurance would only cover a single pump, if I wanted the double I'd have to pay $100. I've used 2 brands - the Medela one that was in the hospital (available for rent and the one my insurance would cover) and then I bought the Tommee Tippee one for home. In terms of time spent washing parts and pumping, I'd go with the Medela as there's less components and it had a lot of settings for suction. but I liked the TT one for the soft suction cups instead of the hard plastic flange on my skin. For me, it was actually harder for me to hold and pump both breasts at the same time so I would just use one at a time. I actually didn't buy a pump until I left the hospital because I didn't know how the pumping or BF'ing would go. But when my milk came in it was like a mad rush to the store to get that milk pumped out! Next time around I might just take the rental home and use that for a few days and compare the two.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #1204
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQT View Post
My insurance would only cover a single pump, if I wanted the double I'd have to pay $100. I've used 2 brands - the Medela one that was in the hospital (available for rent and the one my insurance would cover) and then I bought the Tommee Tippee one for home. In terms of time spent washing parts and pumping, I'd go with the Medela as there's less components and it had a lot of settings for suction. but I liked the TT one for the soft suction cups instead of the hard plastic flange on my skin. For me, it was actually harder for me to hold and pump both breasts at the same time so I would just use one at a time. I actually didn't buy a pump until I left the hospital because I didn't know how the pumping or BF'ing would go. But when my milk came in it was like a mad rush to the store to get that milk pumped out! Next time around I might just take the rental home and use that for a few days and compare the two.
I will probably take advantage of getting a free one from my insurance! I was looking at all the links last night and seeing what was available. This one seemed like the best deal I could get through out the different suppliers that work with my insurance. It is Medela and I would get everything pictured in that top system for free.

Breast Pumps | SunMed Medical
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #1205

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Take a deep breath. For starters, fastings in the very low 100s are nowhere near "out of control." I know outside of pregnancy, it's commonly held that glucose levels above 140 are where real damage starts happening in the body. Based on your diet and the fasting numbers you're seeing, I would bet a large sum of money that those fasting numbers are the result of a morning increase in glucose levels, NOT the result of coming down from a higher spike. That means the fasting numbers you're seeing are likely the highest you're reaching all night/morning. This is good news - it's not like you're going to bed with readings in the 200s, and you're "only" back down to 110 or so in the morning - THAT would be a major concern. Your fastings are only slightly elevated, and, in my non-medical opinion, not dangerously so. I personally would be more concerned about the potential effects of medication daily on my baby than a single, likely brief period of very slightly increased glucose levels once a day.

Have you tried including some carbs with your evening snack? Maybe a few apple slices with cheese or peanut butter - keep some protein and fat, just work in a few carbs. Sometimes, the cause of high fasting levels is a natural occurrence commonly referred to as "dawn phenomenon." In short, everyone's body, diabetic or not, releases some extra glucose from the liver to give you the energy to wake up in the morning. Those with a compromised insulin/glucose cycle just don't quite cover that bump of glucose well enough or quickly enough, which shows up as a higher fasting blood glucose level. Some find that having carbs with their evening snack sort of gives their liver something else to work on (same theory as to why an evening glass of wine helps some - the liver is working on the sugar and alcohol). Just maybe something to try.

In any case, your numbers are NOT outrageous, and your diet looks great. Don't beat yourself up; I'm sure your little Rose is thriving on all that fabulous protein and fat you're providing her for growth and development! It sounds like even your doc isn't too worried about your recent reported fasting levels, so keep up the good work!
Thank you Jilly
Yes I believe it is Dawn Phenomenon. I had that as well when I was borderline diabetic a couple years ago. And I check my blood sugars before bed and they are in the 90's. Then spike up to 100 before waking. I was up in the middle of the night at 130am and decided to check my numbers, it was 95, yet again this morning it was 104.
Yesterday I tried exercise and apple cider vinegar to bring it down. I am planning to try the carb/protein mix tonight, as I've recently read about that. Hoping that helps! DH is even suggesting now fasting, to wake up in the middle of the night and eat something. What do you think?
DH wasn't home all weekend, so I was in panic mode. Finally got a chance to discuss things with him this morning. We are going to call the midwife and see what the risk of being slightly elevated for the rest of the pregnancy are compared to the medication. We'll have to weigh the two. Either way I may get removed from the midwife clinic and put back in the hospital setting. But we want to know if the risk of the Blood sugar is worse then the risk of the med.
http://lorivsjourneytohealth.blogspot.com/
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #1206

Quote:
I will probably take advantage of getting a free one from my insurance! I was looking at all the links last night and seeing what was available. This one seemed like the best deal I could get through out the different suppliers that work with my insurance. It is Medela and I would get everything pictured in that top system for free.

Breast Pumps | SunMed Medical
Hmmm I should really look into this!
I have HMO. But I noticed on my registry that a friend already bought me a breast pump.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #1207
KQT

just wanted to add, i took 2000 mg metformin and a BP med everyday of my pregnancy and my baby is completely healthy. don't be afraid of meds.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #1208

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Andi: If I were you I would just tell them to hold the x-rays, normal dental work should be okay.
Thanks! I already had my cleaning and xrays right after the miscarriage so this is for replacement of an old filling. They need to remove the old one and refill it and I am not sure if novoicain (sp?) is ok or not. I will just call them and ask.

Krissy - I love your avi!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #1209
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SouthernCJ
Stats: 146/Pregnant!/129 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Thanks! I already had my cleaning and xrays right after the miscarriage so this is for replacement of an old filling. They need to remove the old one and refill it and I am not sure if novoicain (sp?) is ok or not. I will just call them and ask.

Krissy - I love your avi!
I am so dense. I have never had a cavity and forget that people need dental work other than regular cleanings Yes your dentist will know. My hygienist always asks me if I'm pregnant right off the bat.

Thank you so much guys, for all the breast pump tips! Seriously I read through every single one and will re-read again. It's one of those purchases where quality really matters. Looking up stuff online is good but I always refer to you guys as my #1 internet opinion
Old 01-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #1210
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Next time around I might just take the rental home and use that for a few days and compare the two.
That's what I did - I brought a rental pump home with me. I didn't have to rent it while IN the hospital; use of it was included with my hospital stay.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #1211
KQT

Quote:
That's what I did - I brought a rental pump home with me. I didn't have to rent it while IN the hospital; use of it was included with my hospital stay.
In hindsight, I wonder if I would have taken that one instead if my production could have been better. My TT only has 5 settings but the medela had 10 or so. while I was at the hospital, it was still just barely colostrum (like 10ml at a time... hardly anything) since my body hadn't really caught on that she was evacuated. I feel like I have a better idea what to do next time, the first few days were all a mess with her in NICU and me downstairs recovering. If I had her birth to do over, I wouldn't have taken the c-section so early. I know the benefits were for my BP and diabetes 2, but I wish my body would have had the "omg it's time" instead of ho hum, i think i'll go have a baby today...

speaking of -- I hope DP is cranking out miss Stella!!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #1212
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
In hindsight, I wonder if I would have taken that one instead if my production could have been better. My TT only has 5 settings but the medela had 10 or so. while I was at the hospital, it was still just barely colostrum (like 10ml at a time... hardly anything) since my body hadn't really caught on that she was evacuated. I feel like I have a better idea what to do next time, the first few days were all a mess with her in NICU and me downstairs recovering. If I had her birth to do over, I wouldn't have taken the c-section so early. I know the benefits were for my BP and diabetes 2, but I wish my body would have had the "omg it's time" instead of ho hum, i think i'll go have a baby today...

speaking of -- I hope DP is cranking out miss Stella!!
ME TOO!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #1213

Quote:
just wanted to add, i took 2000 mg metformin and a BP med everyday of my pregnancy and my baby is completely healthy. don't be afraid of meds.
Yes, I realize it's very common to have to take meds and have a perfectly healthy baby. But the side effects of this med are scary....especially fetal toxicity! And ya just never know....
Old 01-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #1214

That's right! DP should be cranking her out by now!
Can't wait to hear all about it!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #1215
Senior LCF Member

I really need to clean up my diet. I'm maintaining right around 200 pounds, but I would really like to get back down another 15-20 before getting pregnant again if possible. That would put me right about where I was when I got pregnant with Ben last year.
Quote:
All that matters is that our babies are healthy, right? I went into labor naturally and had him vaginally. I was producing colostrum and even a little milk while still in the hospital. Little did I know that was as much as my body was going to make! I had been dead set on breastfeeding and was totally unprepared for the world of formula. But, we survived. You know what they say about hindsight!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #1216

Quote:
I really need to clean up my diet. I'm maintaining right around 200 pounds, but I would really like to get back down another 15-20 before getting pregnant again if possible. That would put me right about where I was when I got pregnant with Ben last year.

All that matters is that our babies are healthy, right? I went into labor naturally and had him vaginally. I was producing colostrum and even a little milk while still in the hospital. Little did I know that was as much as my body was going to make! I had been dead set on breastfeeding and was totally unprepared for the world of formula. But, we survived. You know what they say about hindsight!
You can do it! That's a totally doable goal!

So I had a carb/protein snack before bed last night, my numbers were even higher this morning! 117 and 120. poo.
What do you think about not going into a "fasting" state, but rather eating something around 1am and then going back to bed? (I go to bed at 9pm and get up around 5am, so 1am would be a good middle point)
Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #1217
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What do you think about not going into a "fasting" state, but rather eating something around 1am and then going back to bed? (I go to bed at 9pm and get up around 5am, so 1am would be a good middle point)
If you're willing to try it, I think it makes sense. I personally would not be willing to wake myself up in the middle of the night, especially while pregnant
Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #1218

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
Forgive me for lack of personals. Ill read and catch up soon

Well she's here and home!! I went in Saturday to be checked and they decided I was having enough contractions to stay. I wasn't supposed to start induction until Sunday night. I was thrilled!! Labor/delivery was SO different than with my son. With my son I was in labor for 24 hours, pushed for 2 and a half. With Stella I was 6 hours and she literally came with one push. It was great!! She is perfect. 7.7 at delivery and 19 inches. She is feeding well and sleeping good. I feel so blessed. And my son is doing amazing with her too.

image.jpg
Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #1219

Gallery: pocahontas
OMG, DP she is precious! Congrats on the smooth labor.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #1220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congratulations Disney Princess! She is absolutely adorable! You will have to share some more pictures of that cutie when you are feeling up to it!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #1221
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm home sick from work today (throbbing head, nausea, achy all over), yuck. However, I'm lying on the couch and got an e-mail that a lot of nursery bedding at Babies R Us is 30% off, so I went to check if my set was included. Well, I went to my registry to get to it, since that is easier than searching for it. Found out on accident that someone has already bought the crib set, lamp, wall decals, and window valance. Oops! I'm excited to know we are for sure getting it, but hate that I ruined the surprise! It had to be either my parents or one of my sisters, since they are the only ones that know about the registry as of now.

I guess it is time to start staying away from editing and messing with my registry! I thought we were still way too early, but apparently my family is shopping early to get their picks for sure.

http://suziesnewnormal.blogspot.com/
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #1222
KQT

happy birthday Stella!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #1223

First born

image.jpg
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #1224

And here she is today coming home

image.jpg
Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #1225
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
And here she is today coming home

Attachment 47863
Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #1226
Major LCF Poster!

She is soooo perfect and beautiful. So amazing! Totally teared up
Old 01-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #1227

Quote:
If you're willing to try it, I think it makes sense. I personally would not be willing to wake myself up in the middle of the night, especially while pregnant
I figure I'm up enough to go pee! DH called the midwives, they said to give it a try.
Just hope I can get back to sleep after that, I'm a very sensitive sleeper.

Quote:

Well she's here and home!! I went in Saturday to be checked and they decided I was having enough contractions to stay. I wasn't supposed to start induction until Sunday night. I was thrilled!! Labor/delivery was SO different than with my son. With my son I was in labor for 24 hours, pushed for 2 and a half. With Stella I was 6 hours and she literally came with one push. It was great!! She is perfect. 7.7 at delivery and 19 inches. She is feeding well and sleeping good. I feel so blessed. And my son is doing amazing with her too.

Attachment 47860

CONGRATS! OMG! SO BEAUTIFUL! I'm so happy for you!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #1228
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday was better food-wise, but not great. Some sugary snacks entered my world later in the day, but at least it was progress, as my breakfast and lunch were on target. I actually tried an Atkins frozen meal for lunch and didn't have high hopes, but it was actually pretty darn good, and the ingredients aren't even that scary. I have a few more varieties in the freezer and am now more excited to try them. Easy lunches!

Lori, keep us updated on how the mid-night eating goes. I was that pregnant women that all other pregnant women hated because I never had to get up to pee at night, but if you're getting up anyway, then it sounds like a good plan to try!
Quote:

Attachment 47860
HUGE congratulations!! She's perfect, and I'm so happy you had a good labor/delivery experience. Thank you for sharing pictures
Quote:
I guess it is time to start staying away from editing and messing with my registry! I thought we were still way too early, but apparently my family is shopping early to get their picks for sure.
I had to keep checking my registry (both baby shower and back when we got married) because I have a knack for picking products that end up being discontinued or not carried in stores! I would make my registry and then two weeks later go to update it and see that another item I'd registered for was being discontinued. No one could find anything! So frustrating - I ended up sometimes buying the items myself even before the event for fear the items wouldn't be available much longer
Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #1229
Major LCF Poster!

Someone in the PG was saying that it was tacky to go look at your own registry to see what had been bought. I had to keep going back in to our wedding registry to add things because people kept buying it out! It was super nice of our friends and family, but then I felt guilty for going in to check on it. I'll be sure to put a lot of stuff on our baby registry this time. If you guys want to recommend any must have baby gear feel free
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #1230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

I had to keep checking my registry (both baby shower and back when we got married) because I have a knack for picking products that end up being discontinued or not carried in stores! I would make my registry and then two weeks later go to update it and see that another item I'd registered for was being discontinued. No one could find anything! So frustrating - I ended up sometimes buying the items myself even before the event for fear the items wouldn't be available much longer
I did two registries, because the big baby store, Babies R Us, in this area isn't too close. I did one at Walmart too, for people who don't want to go to that town, since there are Walmarts located tons of convenient places here. I have to keep double checking to make sure I don't have doubles on items though. I had a Walmart and Target registry for our wedding and got so many duplicates it was awkward! People didn't really hand the registry like they were suppose to either, so that was part of the problem, the items weren't being taken off.

DH and I had already planned on going back closer to when shower invites go out to add some more seasonal stuff, like clothes, bibs, etc. So, I figure we will end up seeing things anyway. I didn't want to add stuff too early just for that purpose though! I didn't want it to be clearanced out by the time of the shower.

Quote:
I figure I'm up enough to go pee! DH called the midwives, they said to give it a try.
Just hope I can get back to sleep after that, I'm a very sensitive sleeper.
Good luck! I hope it works for you! There is no way I could fall back asleep if I got up walking around and ate a snack. I'm a light sleeper too, but if I do more than look at the clock/run to the bathroom(rarely) I am up for the night.

Quote:
Someone in the PG was saying that it was tacky to go look at your own registry to see what had been bought. I had to keep going back in to our wedding registry to add things because people kept buying it out! It was super nice of our friends and family, but then I felt guilty for going in to check on it. I'll be sure to put a lot of stuff on our baby registry this time. If you guys want to recommend any must have baby gear feel free
Honestly, I couldn't resist checking the wedding registry a few times. It is just too tempting! I think that was why when I told my husband yesterday I had seen that purchased on accident.. he said uh huh, accident? I said this time it really was an accident!

I am feeling quite a bit better today, so will be going back to work tomorrow for sure. I was planning on going back today, but then got really sick last night. I ended up throwing up and having other stomach issues, throbbing head, and a fever. So, I decided to take it easy today since I have the paid days off banked up.
Closed Thread