Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Suzie
Aw She is so precious!!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #693
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples11 View Post
[Arctic Mama, I sent you a PM.]
Got it and am reading up, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess View Post
I had to laugh because I did NOT lc with my son and he was and is in the 6th percentile for height and under the 50th for weight. There were some early appointments where he was under the growth charts. My doctors weren't concerned as long as he was growing. He was above average in his development and is now about average at 3 years old. (I like to think he's smarter but that's me being his mommy )
This just goes to show that it doesn't make a difference IMO. As long as your baby is getting vitamins and nutrients he/she will develop appropriately. My pregnancy eating has been awful. I've had some low/no carb days and some days where I be had no protEn
That's my basic thought, and especially with how many women slip into mild ketosis overnight when they are pregnant, anyway, it seems ridiculous to posit that it is damaging to a child. As though dietary ketosis and diabetic ketoacidosis in the womb environment impact a baby the same way, JUST because both cause ketones to be present. The conditions are POLAR OPPOSITES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
Loved your post! Def gave me something to think about.
As soon as I found out I had early GD, I went low carb, then my blood sugars were too low and they kept bugging me that I "NEED" to eat carbs. I hate that.
They want me to have 1 carb (1 carb =15 grams) for breakfast, 2 at lunch and 3 at dinner, plus two fruits a day, and 1 carb with each of my snacks. It adds up. 1 carb can be something processed like bread, or it can even be 1/4 cup beans, 1/2 cup corn, etc. I've given in and have been doing bread for the easiness of it, I'm thinking I should start moving over to the beans and carby veggies like corn. I feel like I'm gaining quickly with all these carbs.
I usually only eat 1 fruit a day, since it seems to spike my Blood sugar more then the bread!

Stay strong and do what you know is right for you. We support you in that!
That would drive me nuts, too. My blood sugar is always somewhat low - I like to keep it in the low-normal range if I can, because for ME I feel better that way. It is the rapid swings and changes they should be concerned about, not just the overall number. And forcing you to carb load sucks big time I'd be doing a lot of oatmeal and sweet potatoes, with liberal butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Taryl - I too ate LC with my first pregnancy. The first tri was a crapshoot, I couldnt get down much meat and made up for it with carbs. After that, I settled in comfortably around 50 carbs per day. Occasionally I would have an indulgence but more often, not. I did include some fruit because I craved it and I had the occasional bowl of steel cut oats. DS was born happy and healthy at 8.5lbs and has been in the 95th percentile for height and 50th percentile for weight all along. He is almost 22mo old now and has exceeded all milestone's.

So far, this pregnancy is trending the same. The first tri is a struggle but I focus on staying LC as best I can.
Thanks for sharing, that's good to know. I did indeed crave carbs in the first trimester and indulged, but quickly it fed the cravings/up/down energy cycle and I was eating junk and crashing almost daily. Now that I'm back from a trip I decided detox was necessary and feel SO much better in at least mild ketosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I was under 20 carbs for my pregnancy, my baby was and is in perfect health. I am zerocarb while breastfeeding too. There are a few people I know who stayed zc for their pregnancy and they all have healthy babies.
I love how eating tons of sugar and processed foods is concidered normal when pregnant, but eat meat and vegetables and it is dangerous, lol.
People survived for over 2 million years as hunters, I am sure those woman ate mostly meat for their pregnancies.
Such a double standard - as if a slice of bread is better than a salad. Grr! I thought you low/zero carved throughout, I appreciate the confirmation! The obnoxious advice regarding this all was actually posted HERE, on this site, several years ago. It linked a poorly cited article and got my blood really boiling. But the atmosphere around these parts seemed to have changed since then and I'm SO grateful.

So you haven't found your supply negatively impacted by the lack of carbs? I struggle a bit with adequate milk so this is something of concern to me

As for my current plan, now that I've broken the cravings cycle here in Induction I did, as a precautionary measure, move my carbs up to 40-60 total per day. This lets me get in fruit (berries) and pumpkin, which I've been craving and is nutritionally loaded. I can also fit in a square of dark chocolate for a treat, which is about four carbs. This brings my daily menu to fried eggs, bigger salad and meat/cheese, pumpkin with cream for a snack, and meat/veggie/berries with cream for dinner. That should forestall all comments about healthfulness, regardless of my carb count, shouldn't it? It's optimizing my nutrition, I think, and may or may not still have me in ketosis at that level.

What say you ladies?

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Old 10-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #694
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQT View Post
Hello ladies! Its me, Brooke!

(Finally figured out how to post from the tablet!)
She's so CUTE! I love squishy newborns! So do we get a birth story at some point?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #695
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I have enough milk to feed ten babies! So, my lack of carbs does not effect my supply. Plus, I really only eat hamburgers and some egg yolks, not even any variety in my diet either.
I started to get too thin and added some cheese on my burgers.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #696
Major LCF Poster!

I'm jealous of your super power Though my milk supply was the worst for my first two babies (at 240-270 pounds, I'd guess) and much better for my third (at 200-ish pounds) which makes me think I was having some PCOS-like symptoms associated with the metabolic resistance at that high weight, and losing some of the excess fat tissue and the hormones it produced may have really helped.

I'm fairly resolved to go back to induction level carbs post-pregnancy, unless I see a supply dip. But if oatmeal and beer never helped before, there's no reason to think it would help now

I don't think I could do ZC, but anywhere from 10-40 total is a breeze for me if I'm not indulging in junk. So I think that should work just fine. I just wish I could get a better answer on ketosis during pregnancy - I truly don't want to cause my baby issues or my midwife conniption fits when she dips my urine, and I'm okay compromising with my current level, but just a little solid research to back me up would be helpful. Anecdotes have eased my mind, but my care provider may need more conclusive proof. Hmm...
Old 10-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #697
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SouthernCJ
Stats: 146/Pregnant!/129 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2009
Quote:
Hello ladies! Its me, Brooke!

(Finally figured out how to post from the tablet!)
Oh my goodness she is perfect!!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #698

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post

As for my current plan, now that I've broken the cravings cycle here in Induction I did, as a precautionary measure, move my carbs up to 40-60 total per day. This lets me get in fruit (berries) and pumpkin, which I've been craving and is nutritionally loaded. I can also fit in a square of dark chocolate for a treat, which is about four carbs. This brings my daily menu to fried eggs, bigger salad and meat/cheese, pumpkin with cream for a snack, and meat/veggie/berries with cream for dinner. That should forestall all comments about healthfulness, regardless of my carb count, shouldn't it? It's optimizing my nutrition, I think, and may or may not still have me in ketosis at that level.

What say you ladies?
Ok, I want to be on this diet! Maybe I'll just do it!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #699
Major LCF Poster!

Haha! It's Atkins induction with the dark chocolate square, half a cup of berries, and half a cup of pumpkin added in. I also added in another cup of salad veggies. That's it, nice and simple. The carbs are high enough that someone metabolically resistant should be just out of ketosis or in weak ketosis, but only you know if things like berries are a blood sugar spiker for you.

Mock pumpkin pie with a tbsp HWC, a few drops vanilla stevia, and spices to taste, is probably one of my favorite ways to get vegetables. It's SO delicious without causing cravings.

Last edited by Arctic_Mama; 10-25-2012 at 06:39 AM..
Old 10-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #700

Quote:
Haha! It's Atkins induction with the dark chocolate square, half a cup of berries, and half a cup of pumpkin added in. I also added in another cup of salad veggies. That's it, nice and simple. The carbs are high enough that someone metabolically resistant should be just out of ketosis or in weak ketosis, but only you know if things like berries are a blood sugar spiker for you.

Mock pumpkin pie with a tbsp HWC, a few drops vanilla stevia, and spices to taste, is probably one of my favorite ways to get vegetables. It's SO delicious without causing cravings.
Berries seem to spike my blood sugar bad, all fruit in fact. For some reason it spikes less with processed carbs. The diabetes educator can't explain it.

I like to take pure pumpkin from a can, and mix with with cinnamon, and stevia and pour unsweetened vanilla almond milk over it. It taste just like pumpkin ice cream! So good!

I think I'm going to start cutting out more carbs. Starting with breakfast, since that's when I'm more sensitive and my sugar spikes the most.
They make me chart what I eat, and they review it, so I guess I'll have to fib a little bit. :P
http://lorivsjourneytohealth.blogspot.com/
Old 10-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #701

So I've always read and been told that when pregnant all sandwich meat needs to be heated to kill listeria, I have to pack a cold lunch today, so a sandwich is my only option, I won't have a way to heat my meat! Do you guys think this is ok?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #702
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: court613
Stats: -32
Start Date: baby boy born on 2/28/12!
Coming out of lurkdom to congratulate the new mommas and soon-to-be mommas!

Ethan and Brooke are beautiful!!

Sharon - I hope baby Ethan is doing okay. Broke my heart to read about his broken collarbone And I hope you're feeling okay, too. I know you struggled with PPD before (so did I). It's a horrible feeling.

Krissy - Brooke is just gorgeous and has such a cute little full face already! I love her name.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #703

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
So I've always read and been told that when pregnant all sandwich meat needs to be heated to kill listeria, I have to pack a cold lunch today, so a sandwich is my only option, I won't have a way to heat my meat! Do you guys think this is ok?
I asked my doctor about this when I was pregnant with DS and she literally laughed. She said as long as your meat is fresh, from a trusted source and kept in the refrigerator, there should be no problems. I ate a ton of shaved turkey when I was pg with DS and had no issues but I know that many women choose not to. To each their own! I was told the only thing to avoid was raw fish, it worked for me even though I craved sushi occasionally!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #704
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
Thanks for all the well wishes and compliments, she is a cute little stunner! Our birth story is a typical planned c-section, the worst part was not eating all day. My appt was for 4pm, but just after they checked me into the computer system it went down and we had a little wait for the IT guys. She came out at 5.05pm and my hubby watched the whole thing. She spent 2 days in NICU before they released her to us and we left on Saturday afternoon. Hometime has been an adjustment, she rules the roost for sure. Last night was a good night, she fell asleep from 11-3 then we fed her and diapered, then she slept from 4-7. Right about now I think its my naptime I am still taking my meds and have an incision check tomorrow. Really don't have much of an appetite now, but it's hard to remember to eat anyways with brooke on my mind all the time. If I get my breakfast and shower before noon I feel accomplished.

I didn't eat lunch meat in the first trimester, then tried to stick with turkey or ham but no fancy italian meats for the remainder.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #705
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SouthernCJ
Stats: 146/Pregnant!/129 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2009
Quote:
I think that you are totally fine and as a biochemist (who works in a micro lab) I think the listeria thing is blown way out of proportion. JMO though

Wanted to edit to say that Listeriosis is an incredibly serious bacterial infection for a pregnant person, but that I think not eating lunch meat due to the chance of getting infected with it is overkill. Listeria is a soil organism and IMO you have a much better chance of contracting it through vegetables or walking barefoot with a cut than you do by eating lunch meat.

Last edited by SouthernCJ; 10-25-2012 at 11:45 AM..
Old 10-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #706

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I ate a lot of lunch meat with mayo, many days it was the only low carb food that did not make me gag. I also ate tuna and mayo, which is also on the "do not eat" list. I live on the edge, lol
Old 10-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #707
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The listeria thing is serious but very overblown, it's not something I'd worry about if the meat is fresh and has been well refrigerated until right before consumption. I haven't eschewed sushi/sashimi, soft cheeses, or lunch meat in ANY pregnancy I've had, and nary a food borne illness has been had. In fact, for me the diciest pre-prepped meat is rotisserie chickens. Those, being a hot item, can actually be more subject to food contamination during cooking or packaged or sitting than any vacuum sealed meat in the fridge.

Have you thought about buying turkeys and hams right now when they're cheap, and roasting one a week for lunch meat? I roast them, divide them into three or four freezer bags, and defrost them as needed. Cheap, sugar-less, preservative-free meat for as many sandwiches or main course as I need.

In a pinch, I'd do a tuna salad sandwich or nut butter on celery for a cold lunch, if lunch meat is too risqué for your preferences.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #708

Thanks everyone for the reassurance about lunch meat! I really hate having to eat a warm sandwich all the time. There's something about a nice cold sandwich that is delicious.

Quote:
Have you thought about buying turkeys and hams right now when they're cheap, and roasting one a week for lunch meat? I roast them, divide them into three or four freezer bags, and defrost them as needed. Cheap, sugar-less, preservative-free meat for as many sandwiches or main course as I need.
I wish I could, but one small problem, I don't have an oven. So cooking it would be a challenge.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #709

Quote:
Thanks for all the well wishes and compliments, she is a cute little stunner! Our birth story is a typical planned c-section, the worst part was not eating all day. My appt was for 4pm, but just after they checked me into the computer system it went down and we had a little wait for the IT guys. She came out at 5.05pm and my hubby watched the whole thing. She spent 2 days in NICU before they released her to us and we left on Saturday afternoon. Hometime has been an adjustment, she rules the roost for sure. Last night was a good night, she fell asleep from 11-3 then we fed her and diapered, then she slept from 4-7. Right about now I think its my naptime I am still taking my meds and have an incision check tomorrow. Really don't have much of an appetite now, but it's hard to remember to eat anyways with brooke on my mind all the time. If I get my breakfast and shower before noon I feel accomplished.

I didn't eat lunch meat in the first trimester, then tried to stick with turkey or ham but no fancy italian meats for the remainder.
Congrats! Sounds like she may be starting to get on a good schedule, that's a pretty good one too! Best of luck!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #710
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Krissy, Brooke is so pretty! Congratulations again!

Poor baby Ethan has a terrible case of baby acne. I guess it is caused by hormones and there is really nothing you can do about it except wait it out. Here are a couple pictures of him pre-pimples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9470.jpg (45.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9415.jpg (62.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #711

Gallery: pocahontas
Aww Sharon he is such a doll! Harris had a touch of baby acne but not too bad at all. AND, he totally had those reversable motorcycle Baby Gap pants!!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #712
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Aww Sharon he is such a doll! Harris had a touch of baby acne but not too bad at all. AND, he totally had those reversable motorcycle Baby Gap pants!!!!
Isn't that just the cutest outfit? Next time, we're doing to wear the stripe side!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #713
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aw, he is so cute! Love the itty bitty baby pictures!

I just watched The Business of Being Born on Netflix. Someone recommended it I think in a thread on the PG a few weeks ago. It really did get me thinking about what kind of birth plan I want. I do still want the hospital, but am really contemplating giving all I've got to trying natural. I have plenty of time to think about it and research more. This movie just has me really thinking about it this morning!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
Aw, he is so cute! Love the itty bitty baby pictures!

I just watched The Business of Being Born on Netflix. Someone recommended it I think in a thread on the PG a few weeks ago. It really did get me thinking about what kind of birth plan I want. I do still want the hospital, but am really contemplating giving all I've got to trying natural. I have plenty of time to think about it and research more. This movie just has me really thinking about it this morning!
It's a great documentary!
There is a part two on Netflix too now. More Business of being Born.
If you want to research this route, check out Ina May's guide to Child birth. I first read it almost 10 years ago and it changed my thinking about birth forever.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #715
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
It's a great documentary!
There is a part two on Netflix too now. More Business of being Born.
If you want to research this route, check out Ina May's guide to Child birth. I first read it almost 10 years ago and it changed my thinking about birth forever.
I already had that on the queue too. I'm almost through episode 1 now.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:09 AM   #716

Anybody in here in the area's being hit by the Hurricane?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #717
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yup, I am. *Gulp* I think I'm going to be sitting at home in the dark tomorrow with 2 baby boys all by myself. DH is back to work tomorrow. I'm also going to be pissed if I lose my breast milk stash in the freezer. I probably have almost 200 oz of milk in there.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #718

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
AH]Only have a minute but wanted to stop by. We had my sons birthday party Friday evening. Had to move it because we got the hurricane weather yesterday afternoon and today. It's not awful here, just windy and rainy.

We did just get back from an ultrasound for Stella Grace. It was amazing. She looks EXACTLY like her daddy. She has a cleft chin and thin upper lip just like him. I left in tears because I'm so anxious to meet her now. I hit 31 weeks yesterday

image.jpg
Old 10-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #719
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Awwwww, DP! She is just so cute....! Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #720
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
Whoa that is so detailed! So pretty!

I broke outa jail today to get groceries. I used to hate grocery shopping, now its the highlight of my day! Lol. We are doing well, but brooke likes to sleep all day and party all night. Once in awhile we can catch a nap.
Closed Thread