Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #661
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Suzie
Sorry I have been quiet! I have just been super busy and tired these past few weeks! I'll be 11 weeks on Tuesday. We have a doctor appt tomorrow when we will hopefully hear the heartbeat!

Sharon - How is Ethan doing? I hope he is still not bothered by the injury and healing up fast!

Lori - I second when is the anatomy scan? Are you finding out the gender or waiting? Sorry if I've missed you mentioning that before.

Disney Princess - I'm so glad your husband is home! Have you been enjoying this weekend? The sign was so cute and so was the video posted in the other thread!

http://suziesnewnormal.blogspot.com/

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #662
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Hi Suzie!
Thanks for asking! Ethan seems to be doing good....the doctor said that he was already moving his arm in sync with the other one, so that is a good sign. He doesn't seem too bothered by it, and we are just keeping it taped up for the next week or so.

So far (knock on wood!) he is such a mellow, content baby. He sleeps really well, basically he wakes every 3-4 hours to be changed, fed, burped and put back in his rock and play sleeper. He has been opening his eyes a lot more lately, but usually just lays there pretty quiet and watches what goes on around him. I have been pumping for him and my milk sure came in fast! I am already getting 8 oz or more out of one side. I hope I can keep up the pumping this time. Last time, I only pumped for a few weeks before I had to stop because I needed to re-start Wellbutrin because I got hit super HARD with PPD. Right now, I feel okay, but am keeping a close eye on my mood and I know what symptoms to watch out for with PPD.

Our baby boys that we waited so long for. They are 359 days apart!

Sharon
Old 10-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #663
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycat21 View Post
Hi Suzie!
Thanks for asking! Ethan seems to be doing good....the doctor said that he was already moving his arm in sync with the other one, so that is a good sign. He doesn't seem too bothered by it, and we are just keeping it taped up for the next week or so.

So far (knock on wood!) he is such a mellow, content baby. He sleeps really well, basically he wakes every 3-4 hours to be changed, fed, burped and put back in his rock and play sleeper. He has been opening his eyes a lot more lately, but usually just lays there pretty quiet and watches what goes on around him. I have been pumping for him and my milk sure came in fast! I am already getting 8 oz or more out of one side. I hope I can keep up the pumping this time. Last time, I only pumped for a few weeks before I had to stop because I needed to re-start Wellbutrin because I got hit super HARD with PPD. Right now, I feel okay, but am keeping a close eye on my mood and I know what symptoms to watch out for with PPD.
I am so glad to hear everything is going well and that he seems to be pretty laid back! I hope you can keep up pumping, but it is good you know what to watch out for this time. I plan on trying to breastfeed and hope it all goes okay. The norm in my family is formula so my family will have to adjust a bit to the idea.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:08 AM   #664
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!

I'm here I'm here. Been spending time with my family I've had a wonderful couple of days with my boys. It's so nice to have my husband home.

I hot 30 weeks on Saturday. I'm ready now that dh is home! Lol. Have a checkup thursday and then Sunday is our 4D ultrasound. I can't wait to see her
Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #665

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Quote:
Lori-When do you have your anatomy scan? You should be getting close!
My Anatomy scan is Tuesday of NEXT week. The 30th. It can't come fast enough!
Yes I am going to find out the sex, there's no way I could ever wait til delivery to know! So excited to find out. Then I want to go buy one cute outfit. I'm going to try really hard not to buy anything else til after the baby shower.

Man I can't believe how quickly this seems to be going, I imagine it's going to pick up speed as the holidays approach and I'm super busy.
Kind of bummed that I've gained about 17 pounds already, really trying to keep the weight gain at a minimum.
http://lorivsjourneytohealth.blogspot.com/
Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #666
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
Hi ladies! Taking a break while grandma and grandpa fight over who gets to hold brooke after 2 days in nicu we finally got her in our room, then we were able to leave saturday afternoon and we've been ballstothewall ever since. We dropped our internet so I will have to take the laptop the next time we venture out to post a pic for you. She's a little tongue tied so breastfeeding hasn't been happening but I am pumping. Milk finally came in today, I thought it would never show up and the girls were getting pretty hard!

Dp, so happy that your hubby is home now!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #667
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SouthernCJ
Stats: 146/Pregnant!/129 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2009
I'm here still! Keeping up with all of you but not much new with me to report. My 8 weeks ultrasound is Nov. 1st, so fingers crossed we see a nice strong heartbeat! Trying to make healthy choices with food but I am just so insanely exhausted it is hard, I just eat whatever is around. I was barely awake this afternoon at work. Today I am 6w3d and I'm feeling very tired and my chest is REALLY sore and already, ahem, getting larger.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #668
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had a doctor appointment this evening and we got to hear the heartbeat for the first time! It was so awesome! Heartbeat is going strong at 160! 11 weeks tomorrow!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #669
Senior LCF Member

Start Date: A long time ago
Awww, good news from everybody!

I"m done with my first round of Clomid today. It wasn't bad at all, just a few headaches and hot flashes. I'm not sure if I'll O earlier than usual or not, so I'll be using OPKs and temping...again. Sigh. We were referred to a fertility clinic and we'll be making an appointment soo. IUI will be our next step, likely while I'm still on Clomid. It's not nearly as expensive as we thought it would be. I have some hope now!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #670

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCJ View Post
I'm here still! Keeping up with all of you but not much new with me to report. My 8 weeks ultrasound is Nov. 1st, so fingers crossed we see a nice strong heartbeat! Trying to make healthy choices with food but I am just so insanely exhausted it is hard, I just eat whatever is around. I was barely awake this afternoon at work. Today I am 6w3d and I'm feeling very tired and my chest is REALLY sore and already, ahem, getting larger.
Doesn't this make you wonder how people can be pregnant and not know it?

Can't wait for your first ultrasound, you're gonna be thrilled.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #671
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
I had a doctor appointment this evening and we got to hear the heartbeat for the first time! It was so awesome! Heartbeat is going strong at 160! 11 weeks tomorrow!
That is soooo cool! I have to admit I am jealous, that must have been so special!

I had been settling in to this pregnancy thing but now I am feeling anxious for my appointment to get here! I need to see that heartbeat
Old 10-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #672
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
Doesn't this make you wonder how people can be pregnant and not know it?

Can't wait for your first ultrasound, you're gonna be thrilled.
I was thinking that same thing yesterday! I could explain away the tiredness, maybe, but these boobs? No way in h*ll.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #673

Lol. My chest grew almost a full size before I was like 10 weeks!

Can morning sickness come back in the 3rd trimester? I'm very ill today and was yesterday morning too. Actually threw up this morning and am waiting on dh for some ginger ale and saltines
Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #674

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess View Post
Lol. My chest grew almost a full size before I was like 10 weeks!

Can morning sickness come back in the 3rd trimester? I'm very ill today and was yesterday morning too. Actually threw up this morning and am waiting on dh for some ginger ale and saltines
aw man I dunno. Hope you're feeling better soon!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #675

Gallery: pocahontas
ladies!

Boring over here too. I am 8wks tomorrow, my first appt is Monday and my OB will likely send me out for a dating u/s. Im excited to hear the heartbeat and then maybe this will all feel real.

Shana - Good luck on the Clomid! I have read on TCOYF so many success stories with it. Ive got my fingers crossed for ya girl!

Suzie - Hearing the heartbeat for the first time is amazing.

CJ - the wait for the first appt is always so hard. I feel your pain!

Krissy - I cant wait to see pics of Brooke!

Lori - your anatomy scan is on my b-day! We didnt find out the sex with DS but DH is already putting the pressure on for this one. he says he NEEDS to know this time. Pffft!

DP - Sorry you arent feeling well. Let DH take care of you!

Carlini - Where are you sista? How are things going?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #676
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Okay, talk me off an angry ledge, ladies!

The misinformation and complete lack of conclusive data for ketosis in pregnancy is driving me NUTS. And the scare tactics about possible mental and physical retardation in children who are closed to ketones in pregnancy is ridiculous and unfounded.

I did the carb thing for the first fifteen weeks, *just in case*. Primarily health carbs in moderate quantities, too. Not only did I balloon up in weight I was irritable, exhausted, overly nauseous, and my inflammatory symptoms became prevalent again.

Sick to death of that I decided to just do what I know has worked to quell such issues in the past and went on induction. Not moderate carbs, true induction. Within three days my energy was completely back up, I was sleeping better, not feeling so ill, and my gastrointestinal and dermal inflammation has almost completely subsided.

HOW MANY WOMEN END UP IN KETOSIS IN PREGNANCY?! Surely most of the gals I know who struggle with H.G and can't keep anything down. Most women I know eating a grain free diet would be hard pressed to stay OUT of ketosis for much of pregnancy, because of what their diet is composed of.

There are clinics intentionally treating women with ketogenic diets during pregnancy to control things like morning sickness, gestational diabetes, pre-e, etc. And the outcomes for these children have not been markedly different than their peers.

Is someone really going to tell me that a metabolic response as tightly controlled as ketosis is going to somehow damage an infant in a way that excess blood sugar from all the carb dumping won't? Seriously? And do so without citing ANY conclusive data from a heathy, controlled carbohydrate diet?

Yes, I'm eating 20 net carbs a day here halfway through my pregnancy. I eat three eggs with some butter and decaf coffee or tea with heavy cream for breakfast. Snack is some cheese and maybe pepperoni, if I'm hungry. Lunch is a salad and turkey/tuna/salmon. Dinner is usually some cheese, broiled steak or salmon, and some sautéed mushrooms or dill sauce to complement. Dessert is an Italian cream soda with half n half or three Brazil nuts, if I'm feeling crunchy and need a few more carbs.

I'm not hungry on the above menu. Is someone seriously going to try and tell me that guzzling oatmeal and topping it off with fast food is more healthy for me and my baby than protein, fat, and healthy carbs in small quantities? When every physical indicator I can watch for shows an improvement and baby is growing right on target and moving just fine?

An old thread from this site and accompanying article is actually what set me off, but I'm so SICK of being told I'm killing myself and my kid because I needed my heal back under control, even during pregnancy. It is SO frustrating.

Can someone, ANYONE, commiserate or comfort me regarding this. Or at least provide some decent data to back up the scare tactic assertions I've heard (and their spotty support, to boot)? I'm probably taking this way too personally, but at my body weight and with my metabolic history (nobody with a healthy metabolism gets morbidly obese and stays that way without some dysfunction in leptin and insulin response!) it seems highly unlikely spending the second half of my pregnancy eating induction and OWL plus moderate daily exercise is going to do anything but improve my outcomes.

So who here has controlled their diet with very low carbs through pregnancy and doesn't have a dead or growth/mentally stunted child to show for it? Sheeeeeesh!

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Old 10-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #677
Major LCF Poster!

Btw, congrats to our new mommies, I swear I'm not ignoring you, I just had to get that rant out

All is well here at 18-ish weeks, especially now that I'm not eating sugar and grain again!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #678
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, Ethan Alexander finally made his appearance, apparently he wanted his cool birth date (10/11/12)! Went in Wednesday afternoon around 4 pm, had a cervidil for 12 hours, then a cytotec for 4 hours, then started pitocin. Had been having contractions since I got in Wednesday, but the pitocin really, really made them instense fast. Had my epidural around 3:30 (and honestly I should have gotten it sooner, the contractions were painful and coming every 3 minutes by then). After the doctor broke my water at 4:30, Ethan came FAST! I went from 5 centimters to 10 centimters in less than an hour and pushed for 5 minutes. The doctor almost didn't make it back in time from the c section he was doing! Holy moly, that was intense! I feel like his head was almost out before the doctor sat down on his stool. And it is true, the epidural may help the pain, but that pressure you feel in your bottom is for real!!! DH was almost going to leave to get some food for himself, but I am glad that the nurse suggested he stay or he would have never made it back for the birth! Anyway, he was 8 lb, 6 oz and 20.5 inches long. We're both doing good, but why does no one talk about how much blood there is after you give birth? I remember from last time, but yikes! It's crazy......!
Here are a couple pictures! ♥♥
He is SO precious! Congratulations!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #679
Major LCF Poster!

Ugh. How can ketones be both nutrition for a fetus/baby and dangerous, too?

SO much conflicting data!

Special Diets: diet for breastfeeding mom, dr robert atkins, free fatty acids
Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #680
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks ladies! We were so excited! It is my first, so all of this is brand new and amazing to me! DH has a 7 yr old son, but it has been so long he is super excited and it feels new again.

I already can't wait until the next appointment and it isn't until November 21!

I'm so glad everyone is doing well! I can't wait until we get to see Brooke and I think it has been a little too long since we had some Ethan pictures!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #681
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
So who here has controlled their diet with very low carbs through pregnancy and doesn't have a dead or growth/mentally stunted child to show for it? Sheeeeeesh!
My first pregnancy, I kept very low carb....probably ate 40 or under carbs on most days. He just turned one last week and is doing great! His doctor check up last week showed that he is has met or exceeded all the milestones he should be hitting for his age. He has a ton of energy, smiles and laughs all the time and is as cute as button (IMHO! ) He is just over 20 lb (20th percentile) and just under 30 inches long (41 percentile). I guess those numbers are below the 50 percentile, but the doctor is perfectly fine with them, his growth curve has been perfect according to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
I can't wait until we get to see Brooke and I think it has been a little too long since we had some Ethan pictures!
I know, I know....I tried to upload a bunch of pics off my camera and I got some weird error message. I'm going to try again hopefully tomorrow!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #682
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
My first pregnancy, I kept very low carb....probably ate 40 or under carbs on most days. He just turned one last week and is doing great! His doctor check up last week showed that he is has met or exceeded all the milestones he should be hitting for his age. He has a ton of energy, smiles and laughs all the time and is as cute as button (IMHO! ) He is just over 20 lb (20th percentile) and just under 30 inches long (41 percentile). I guess those numbers are below the 50 percentile, but the doctor is perfectly fine with them, his growth curve has been perfect according to her.

I know, I know....I tried to upload a bunch of pics off my camera and I got some weird error message. I'm going to try again hopefully tomorrow!
Sounds good! Hopefully you can upload without issue.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #683
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

My kids tend to run small for the first year, too, and I didn't low carb for any of them. This one would be the first. I can comfortably eat 40-50 total carbs most days, but without sugar and grain (and getting enough protein and fat) I am not HUNGRY enough for more! Thank you for reassuring me, I've been annoyed about this all night
Old 10-24-2012, 03:46 AM   #684
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naples11
Stats: (200# pg) 120s
WOE: ZC for mental health
[Arctic Mama, I sent you a PM.]
Old 10-24-2012, 04:22 AM   #685

I had to laugh because I did NOT lc with my son and he was and is in the 6th percentile for height and under the 50th for weight. There were some early appointments where he was under the growth charts. My doctors weren't concerned as long as he was growing. He was above average in his development and is now about average at 3 years old. (I like to think he's smarter but that's me being his mommy )
This just goes to show that it doesn't make a difference IMO. As long as your baby is getting vitamins and nutrients he/she will develop appropriately. My pregnancy eating has been awful. I've had some low/no carb days and some days where I be had no protEn
Old 10-24-2012, 04:51 AM   #686

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
ladies!

Lori - your anatomy scan is on my b-day! We didnt find out the sex with DS but DH is already putting the pressure on for this one. he says he NEEDS to know this time. Pffft!
?
OH MY GOSH, It would drive me nuts not to know.
If they aren't able to see it at this ultrasound, you can rest assured I'll be at those 4d places to find out within a week or so.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Okay, talk me off an angry ledge, ladies!

The misinformation and complete lack of conclusive data for ketosis in pregnancy is driving me NUTS. And the scare tactics about possible mental and physical retardation in children who are closed to ketones in pregnancy is ridiculous and unfounded.
Loved your post! Def gave me something to think about.
As soon as I found out I had early GD, I went low carb, then my blood sugars were too low and they kept bugging me that I "NEED" to eat carbs. I hate that.
They want me to have 1 carb (1 carb =15 grams) for breakfast, 2 at lunch and 3 at dinner, plus two fruits a day, and 1 carb with each of my snacks. It adds up. 1 carb can be something processed like bread, or it can even be 1/4 cup beans, 1/2 cup corn, etc. I've given in and have been doing bread for the easiness of it, I'm thinking I should start moving over to the beans and carby veggies like corn. I feel like I'm gaining quickly with all these carbs.
I usually only eat 1 fruit a day, since it seems to spike my Blood sugar more then the bread!

Stay strong and do what you know is right for you. We support you in that!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #688

Gallery: pocahontas
Taryl - I too ate LC with my first pregnancy. The first tri was a crapshoot, I couldnt get down much meat and made up for it with carbs. After that, I settled in comfortably around 50 carbs per day. Occasionally I would have an indulgence but more often, not. I did include some fruit because I craved it and I had the occasional bowl of steel cut oats. DS was born happy and healthy at 8.5lbs and has been in the 95th percentile for height and 50th percentile for weight all along. He is almost 22mo old now and has exceeded all milestone's.

So far, this pregnancy is trending the same. The first tri is a struggle but I focus on staying LC as best I can.

Last edited by pocahontas; 10-24-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Old 10-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #689

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I was under 20 carbs for my pregnancy, my baby was and is in perfect health. I am zerocarb while breastfeeding too. There are a few people I know who stayed zc for their pregnancy and they all have healthy babies.
I love how eating tons of sugar and processed foods is concidered normal when pregnant, but eat meat and vegetables and it is dangerous, lol.
People survived for over 2 million years as hunters, I am sure those woman ate mostly meat for their pregnancies.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #690
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
Hello ladies! Its me, Brooke!

(Finally figured out how to post from the tablet!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B one week.jpg (22.5 KB, 31 views)
Closed Thread