Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/)
-   -   breakthrough bleeding (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/778586-breakthrough-bleeding.html)

mayleesa 07-20-2012 02:39 PM

breakthrough bleeding

sorry TMI for some but i'd feel alot better knowing this happens to others. whenever i'm in ketosis or wlm it never fails that i get my period. like FULL on. I'm on a pill that stops it completely thoughout my year. its amethyst/lybrel. it's worked fine until i went back on induction and nearly 2 weeks in i've had my period everyday since last wednesday LAST WEEK!?! I'm gonna see my gyn but it's happened to me before when i was on lowcarb induction levels but it really is becoming the most giantest pain in the you know what. please if this has happened to you, let me know sooooo sorry this is crazy

kitakaze 07-20-2012 02:45 PM

I've been having this a lot over the past month, although I was thinking it was from my endometriosis. A friend recently sent me some articles about how low carb can help the endo melt away. I have no idea if this is even possible or if it is the problem.

It is everyday though... so I certainly empathize.

mayleesa 07-20-2012 02:56 PM

thanks for replying!!!! i don't have endo but i had what they are calling pcos....and it didn't happen until later in my 20's and right now i'm having the cramps of a lifetime....i'm losing weight and taking my b12 to keep up with blood loss??? but dang if i have to have my period to lose weight then so be it, it just really puts a damper in my life...again thanks for responding and listening!

Janknitz 07-20-2012 03:51 PM

Two things:

1. Low carbing can treat PCOS because PCOS is really a problem of isulin metabolism. When you low carb, you correct the underlying metabolic issue and you may have ovulatory cycles. I got pregnant (without trying) on low carb, after having to go through infertility treatment hell, including two IVF cycles to conceive my first child. I was thrilled, but if you don't want a pregnancy, you will need to do some family planning. By "breakthrough" I'm guessing you may be on BCP's but you still might be fertile with the reduction in insulin resistance despite the BCP's (because the dose was based on your infertile state)--so talk to your OB/GYN.

2. I had a lot of erratic bleeding from eating too much flax. It's a phytoestrogen, and perhaps because of PCOS my body was very sensitive to it. So if you're not cycling but having strange bleeding check to see if you're eating a lot of flax (1 MIM a day did it for me) or perhaps even chia seeds.

socaligirl714 07-20-2012 04:02 PM

im the opposite... im 2 days late... but its throwing my cycle off

LadyKT 07-20-2012 04:44 PM

Weird...cause i've been spotting for two weeks now - last month I started Beyaz, and skipped those four white pills in the end of the last pack (so to try to avoid getting a period this month...yeah, that worked!) and i've been bleeding ever since! So, i've stopped taking this pack, will wait til i get my *real* period...and pray to god this never happens again!

Passion68 07-20-2012 04:50 PM

My periods stopped almost altogether several years before I started low carb, and I was at my heaviest at just over 300. My doc diagnoised me with peri-menopause at the age of 40! Since starting low carb, my periods are back to normal. I'm on the BC pill, too.

zombiegoat2000 07-20-2012 05:24 PM

mine have become lighter and shorter, hell i aint complaining!!!

mayleesa 07-21-2012 09:04 AM

:hugs:thanks for the responses...i haven't eaten flax so maybe it's something else. i'm not looking to be pregnant at the moment so this is kind of crazy since i don't know what exactly my cycle is doing while i'm on the pill and having this "period", it has lightened some so i'm hoping its my bodies way of just releasing estrogen....congrats on getting pregnant and i will check with my doc....it's just crazy but if i'm losing weight, i'll put up with incovienience for awhile!

MerryKate 03-03-2013 11:46 PM

Mayleesa, any update since July? I'm considering trying Lybrel, and after reading your account I'm wondering if it's going to work for me. I've got PMDD and can't take any more....something's gotta give!