Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/)
-   -   Baby Talk - all planning on TTC, TTC, pregnant, and new moms welcome! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/womens-health/757860-baby-talk-all-planning-ttc-ttc-pregnant-new-moms-welcome.html)

jillybean720 02-14-2012 05:09 AM

Baby Talk - all planning on TTC, TTC, pregnant, and new moms welcome!

Hopefully, we can start a thread where we can all share experiences and journies. Some of us have faced the reality that not everyone is supportive of a low-carb lifestyle, ESPECIALLY when they find out you're TTC or pregnant, so let's start our own little support group :up:

Happycat21 02-14-2012 07:47 AM

Hi there! :hiya: Sorry, this might be a bit long. It's nice that you started this support thread! :)

Well, here's my story.....and forgive me when I tell you how 'freaked out' I am right now because I just found out am I pregnant with #2 (and my son isn't even 4 months old yet.....:eek: :stars: :o :D)

I struggled with infertility for many years (long story short: PCOS). We tried a few fertility treatment cycles (only meds, hadn't ventured into IUI or IVF yet). They didn't work, even though I DID ovulate with the help of the drugs. We used "timed intercourse" and it was soooooo stressful. After a few attempts, we decided to stop trying so hard for awhile and my plan was to go straight to IUI after a few months "off". We also had just bought a house that was a major fixer upper and in need of a total gut job. We worked so hard on that house (for 9 months coincidentally), but a couple months before we were able to move in, I found out I was pregnant with DS (Brandon). I was beyond shocked because we were able to do it on our own, without any medical intervention this time. The *only* difference (besides not being so focused on trying to get pregnant) was that DH and I had just started eating pretty strict low carb because I had just found out I had a whole bunch of food allergies, and it seemed like the only thing that I wasn't allergic to was chicken/beef, veggies and fruits. Oh yeah, and I had started synthroid because my thyroid had tested to be on the lower side, but not really that low. So, a very small dose of synthroid.

Of course, they immediately called my pregnancy "high risk" because of my age (38 at the time) and that I had PCOS. I was pretty much diagnosed with gestational diabetes right away (had already been on Metformin). I stayed on Metformin through about 4 months when the endocronolgist pulled me off and had me testing my BS 4 times per day. I was doing pretty well keeping it under control with low carb (my one hour after meal numbers were under 120 98% of the time) but my fasting numbers kept creeping up (they want it under 90, and it slowly started to creep up to 100). The endocronologist threatened to put me on insulin but I refused and got prescribed glyburide (an oral diabetes med) instead. I was on the lowest dose and that helped my fasting numbers stay below 90. I would take it before I went to bed. My after meal numbers were all controlled by low carb.

Anyway....they kept giving me growth ultrasounds and at one point they decided they wanted to induce me at 39 weeks because Brandon was measuring to be almost 10 pounds on the growth ultrasound. :eek: I was feeling so terrible about it because they said it was because of the gestational diabetes and I felt like they insinuated that it was my fault that he was going to be so big and that I wasn't taking care of myself. Which, of course made no sense since I was so strict with low carb and my BS numbers were mostly awesome!! So, I allowed them to induce me early. I went in Saturday night for the induction, and didn't deliver him until Monday night! It was hell....I was begging for a c section at one point. I was not tolerating the cervical exams AT ALL (either my doctor was too rough, or I'm just ultra sensitive). She finally convinced me to get the epidural at 1.5 centimeters (very early) so I could try to avoid a c section and instead be able to tolerate the cervical exams. This would also allow them to put an internal monitor on Brandon instead of using the straps on my belly. Which was a relief because my supposed 10 pound baby seemed to have a lot of room to move around and kept wiggling off the external monitors! The next cervical exam she did, my water broke and then I was in offical active labor. I labored for about 14 hours before I had him. I should also mention that the epidural didn't take that well....I had to have two "top offs" and I only got about an hour of relief each time. I also had a severe reaction to the epidural, my blood pressure crashed very low and I lost hearing in my right ear. They got my blood pressure back up, and thankfully my hearing came back. Getting the epidural was easy peasy for me, but the during and after effects of it were not good IMO. And as I said, it didn't help with the contractions by my bladder area AT All. (We later found out that Brandon's head was blocking the output line of the internal catheter so that was causing a lot of the pain too....)

So....when he was born and they weighed him, he only weighed 7 lb, 4 oz!!!!! :confused: I was expecting this huge 10 or more pounder child! So, right in that moment when I heard his weight and that he was so healthy (and alert!), I knew that I did the right thing by eating low carb. And I also couldn't believe the ultrasounds were so off with his weight! I actually had LOST 10 pound my whole pregnancy. But I got some confirmation that I had done right by him by eating the way I did, and I also credit it for allowing me to get pregnant again so quickly like we did!!! We weren't really trying, but we weren't NOT trying. I'm 39 years old, so I knew that if we were going to have another child, I didn't want to wait THAT long to try again, but I never in a million years imagined that I could get pregnant so quickly again. If all goes well with this new pregnancy, :aprayer:, I will have two children under the age of 1 years old!!! This new baby is due to be born a couple of weeks before Brandon's first birthday (10/17). :eek: I'm scared out of my mind....have no idea how DH and I are going to do this, but I just know that I'm going to treat this pregnancy the exact same way I did with Brandon, because I feel that eating that way and taking care of myself that way will give us the best chance! :)

jillybean720 02-14-2012 06:05 PM

Sharon - congrats on #2! I'm sure it's sooner than expected, but at least you've still got all the pregnancy "rules" and expectations fresh in mind ;) You know, you're not the first person I've heard of who was told their baby was going to be so big, and then it came out 1.5+ pounds SMALLER than estimated - it makes me so frustrated that they freak women out about this all the time when the ultrasound measurements are OBVIOUSLY not 100% accurate. I see so many women on my birth board on another forum who freak out because they're told their baby will be 9+ pounds, and I always try to remind them of the many stories I've heard like yours.

I'm in a different boat in that baby was measuring in the "28th percentile" at my last ultrasound, which they said was fine, just obviously on the smaller side for his age. I have another ultrasound on Thursday (just another growth scan), so we'll see what they say. But, as you can tell, I don't put a whole lot of stock into their measurements since they're clearly often inaccurate!

gab 02-14-2012 06:48 PM

Hi - my son is two and a half months. I had the same issues with the ultrasound estimates, the highest was 9 lbs 6 oz. then during my c-sec (there were other issues besides his size), they announced 11.10 my DH and almost died!!! Then the nurse. Looked at us and quickly added "that's the time" lol. DS ended up at 8 lbs 15 ozs. Not too far off the mark.

I find it more challenging to eat at higher carb levels to avoid ketosis than I ever did with eating at induction levels. I have not gotten back to being low carb again fully - I usually get at least one meal or two at lower levels.

I'm happy to met some other newer or soon to be moms. Just to add to story - doctor told me I likely have pcos and said best thing to manage it was to go low carb.

Blondie Baby 02-14-2012 08:22 PM

Morning ladies. My story is on the other thread and I don't want to totally retell itt here. DH and I are going thru IVF because I had a tubal ligation 10 years ago. We have a good embryo which is frozen and waiting for us. I had some problems with my uterus due to a fibroid but all is well now and we have a date for embryo transfer! Next Tuesday! I'm so excited, nervous, scared.

I was also told during my second pregnancy that my baby was really big and I would have to think about a c-section. I had a natural birth and as it turned out she was my smallest baby - only 6lbs 9oz!

Jilly - thanks for starting this thread. I have been following you on the other thread, though I never posted there!

Happycat - Thanks for the confirmation that LC is best for baby! I plan to stay LC if I get pregnant. Congrats on #2!

Gab - Congrats on your new baby!

jillybean720 02-15-2012 04:16 AM

Last night's challenge: I shaved my legs for the first time in MONTHS! :P I'd had a lot of trouble with being in the shower for very long since standing there often made me dizzy/lightheaded, so I'd given up on shaving. I couldn't get myself to shave in the bath because the thought of sitting in a pool of tepid water filled with floating hairs just icked me out. So I sat on the edge of the bathtub, and that worked. I was going to then take a shower, but shaving took so long that I ran out of hot water :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by gab (Post 15417597)
...they announced 11.10 my DH and almost died!!! Then the nurse. Looked at us and quickly added "that's the time" lol. DS ended up at 8 lbs 15 ozs. Not too far off the mark.

ha, that's a great story! It seems almost everyone I see whose ultrasounds provided estimated sizes ended up having babies SMALLER than they were told. I can't think of any who came out bigger than expected.

Quote:

I find it more challenging to eat at higher carb levels to avoid ketosis than I ever did with eating at induction levels.

Just curious - why are you trying to avoid ketosis?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blondie Baby (Post 15417768)
I was also told during my second pregnancy that my baby was really big and I would have to think about a c-section. I had a natural birth and as it turned out she was my smallest baby - only 6lbs 9oz!

Jilly - thanks for starting this thread. I have been following you on the other thread, though I never posted there!

Jeez, yet ANOTHER who was told the baby would be bigger than it really was! I'm beginning to doubt all this supposedly wonderful technology we have access to nowadays!

Happy to start this thread - I was getting sad that the "Getting Healthy for Baby" thread had apparently dwindled down to just me and lizzy, mostly. I checked it every day, but it was very slow. It was much busier earlier (in the fall and early winter), but then I think some had their babies, and not enough new ladies joined to keep it going. Hopefully, this will be a more active group :)

lizzybme 02-15-2012 04:43 AM

Good morning!!!!
Well blood sugars are still bouncing low and giving me problems. Going to try and eat a bacon egg and cheese fold-over on the low carb bread. I am hoping to get back down to 30 carbs a day and not have the lows. Never had the problem before but I have been eating that high carb food for 12 weeks now. Might just take a while to get regulated again.

I am 14.5 weeks right now. I think it will be a boy. Heart rate around 140. I got my fetal heart monitor on Monday....it's so nice to hear the heart beat when I want to. Not feeling much movement yet...

I also had a experiance with ultrasound....night before I was induced, pre-ecl, Dr. said "oh about 7 pounds we are going to be good." Had a 9#2oz baby.
Had GD with that one, but it was 1997.

I have gained 30 pounds since I got pregnant this time. Unable to eat any form of meat during first 12 weeks. Got sick every time. Lived on crackers, cheese-its and the like. Stepping on the scale every morning and watching the numbers go up has been heart breaking.
Dr has me coming in this friday to do quad screen and A1C . I told him I've been keep my fasting BS 85 or below, mostly 74. And 2 hour was back down to 120 130 if I was sleeping after eating. Only 2 high ones 154 and a 180 once. I had french fries.
I don't think he beleives me do to the 30#. But it's all because of the carbs...

ok that's me...

Oregon Transplant 02-15-2012 09:08 AM

Welcome ladies! Maybe this thread will become more active, since we've merged into one now.

Sharon- Oh my! Isn't that funny how you stop TTC and get pregnant? We put so much pressure on ourselves trying. Just think, your babies may have an extra special bond being so close in age. My BF and his sister are nearly a year apart and are very close because of it. I wish you a healthy pregnancy with your new little one. You will manage! It'll be ok.

Jilly- Congratulations on the new house! What an exciting time with many changes.

Gab- It will be great to hear from another new mom. Feel free to share your insight and wisdom with us. Congratulations on your new little one.

Maryam- Welcome to this thread. Good luck TTC. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes with the IVF.

Lizzy- My best friend didn't find out the sex of her baby, but the heart rate was higher. Her ultrasound tech actually told her she would bet money on a boy- she had a girl! So, who knows about the heart rate thing, or if it's true. Are you wanting a boy this time around?

Well, I had my IUD removed yesterday. I met my Gyn/OB for the first time. She was wonderful! I went to the Women's Health clinic at the medical group I got to for my primary dr. I chose her because she focuses specifically on fertility issues. I asked what we could do to help conceive, her answer "have lots of sex!" lol Well, of course! I got some OPK tests, but she said don't even bother. I'm just going to start a calendar and track from my first day of my period and count out from there. From what I'm reading, your supposed to try on your 10, 12, 14, and 16 days out from your first day of your last period. That's easy enough. I think we'll do that for now. I am so very excited to begin this journey! :)

Justababy 02-15-2012 09:52 AM

Sharon
:goodpost:

I am so happy for you!! I am new to the group but this was all the encouragement I needed to stay eating healthy!! I too have PCOS am 30 y.o. and I have a 7 yr., when my son was 3 y.o. I had a MC and that's when I found out I had PCOS. My dh and I have been ttc fo a while now but this year is different for me I am not focused on ttc but rather focused on my health.. I started low card at 229.8 on 1/23/2012 and today i am 2/15/2012 I am 210.6!!:jumpjoy:.. I pray :aprayer:you continued healthy babies and a most pleseant experience.

Alecia

Happycat21 02-15-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillybean720 (Post 15417481)
Sharon - congrats on #2! I'm sure it's sooner than expected, but at least you've still got all the pregnancy "rules" and expectations fresh in mind ;) You know, you're not the first person I've heard of who was told their baby was going to be so big, and then it came out 1.5+ pounds SMALLER than estimated - it makes me so frustrated that they freak women out about this all the time when the ultrasound measurements are OBVIOUSLY not 100% accurate. I see so many women on my birth board on another forum who freak out because they're told their baby will be 9+ pounds, and I always try to remind them of the many stories I've heard like yours.

I'm in a different boat in that baby was measuring in the "28th percentile" at my last ultrasound, which they said was fine, just obviously on the smaller side for his age. I have another ultrasound on Thursday (just another growth scan), so we'll see what they say. But, as you can tell, I don't put a whole lot of stock into their measurements since they're clearly often inaccurate!

I have heard that especially if its your first baby, it is so hard to get an accurate measurement of the baby's size and weight. My regular OB told me this (but the high risk OB who advised us to induce early still defended her decision afterwards, she kept saying that all the markers indicated, blah blah blah blah.....! :dunno: In fact, DH overheard her on the phone the day after I delivered Brandon (her office was right across the hall from the nursery and she had her door open) talking to someone on the phone about the vast difference in actual birth weight vs. predictable weight. He said she was obviously shocked herself.

Quote:

Hi - my son is two and a half months. I had the same issues with the ultrasound estimates, the highest was 9 lbs 6 oz. then during my c-sec (there were other issues besides his size), they announced 11.10 my DH and almost died!!! Then the nurse. Looked at us and quickly added "that's the time" lol. DS ended up at 8 lbs 15 ozs. Not too far off the mark.

I find it more challenging to eat at higher carb levels to avoid ketosis than I ever did with eating at induction levels. I have not gotten back to being low carb again fully - I usually get at least one meal or two at lower levels.

I'm happy to met some other newer or soon to be moms. Just to add to story - doctor told me I likely have pcos and said best thing to manage it was to go low carb.

That's a very funny story, Gab!! Just think, the time could have been 12:55, and you would have even been more shocked. Or, if they used military time and they announced 23:10! :eek: :laugh:

So glad to hear about another doctor who agrees that eating low carb is the best thing to manage PCOS too! :up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blondie Baby (Post 15417768)
Morning ladies. My story is on the other thread and I don't want to totally retell itt here. DH and I are going thru IVF because I had a tubal ligation 10 years ago. We have a good embryo which is frozen and waiting for us. I had some problems with my uterus due to a fibroid but all is well now and we have a date for embryo transfer! Next Tuesday! I'm so excited, nervous, scared.

Happycat - Thanks for the confirmation that LC is best for baby! I plan to stay LC if I get pregnant. Congrats on #2!

Thanks, Blondie Baby! :) You will be in my prayers for next week's embyro transfer! :aprayer: How long do you have to wait to see if the transfer went well? Is it the 2 weeks like after an IUI?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillybean720 (Post 15418034)
Last night's challenge: I shaved my legs for the first time in MONTHS! :P I'd had a lot of trouble with being in the shower for very long since standing there often made me dizzy/lightheaded, so I'd given up on shaving. I couldn't get myself to shave in the bath because the thought of sitting in a pool of tepid water filled with floating hairs just icked me out. So I sat on the edge of the bathtub, and that worked. I was going to then take a shower, but shaving took so long that I ran out of hot water :o

I'm with you on the sitting in a pool of water with floating hairs is not my idea of a good time! Do you find that your armpit and leg hair have grown a ton faster since you've been pregnant? I used to be able to get by with shaving once or twice a week. Now, I swear, I get a 5:00 shadow by 2 pm the same day I shave! Shaving my toes are the worst...but I love to get pedicures (not that I could have done them myself when I was 7 plus months pregnant), so I have to make sure I shave my legs and toes before I go in for the pedicure. And why don't these nail salons offer that as a service....shaving our legs for us before a pedicure? I know they do waxing, but my skin is so sentitive that I'm sure I'd regret getting waxed for the next several weeks. :mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzybme (Post 15418087)
Good morning!!!!
Well blood sugars are still bouncing low and giving me problems. Going to try and eat a bacon egg and cheese fold-over on the low carb bread. I am hoping to get back down to 30 carbs a day and not have the lows. Never had the problem before but I have been eating that high carb food for 12 weeks now. Might just take a while to get regulated again.

I am 14.5 weeks right now. I think it will be a boy. Heart rate around 140. I got my fetal heart monitor on Monday....it's so nice to hear the heart beat when I want to. Not feeling much movement yet...

I also had a experiance with ultrasound....night before I was induced, pre-ecl, Dr. said "oh about 7 pounds we are going to be good." Had a 9#2oz baby.
Had GD with that one, but it was 1997.

I have gained 30 pounds since I got pregnant this time. Unable to eat any form of meat during first 12 weeks. Got sick every time. Lived on crackers, cheese-its and the like. Stepping on the scale every morning and watching the numbers go up has been heart breaking.
Dr has me coming in this friday to do quad screen and A1C . I told him I've been keep my fasting BS 85 or below, mostly 74. And 2 hour was back down to 120 130 if I was sleeping after eating. Only 2 high ones 154 and a 180 once. I had french fries.
I don't think he beleives me do to the 30#. But it's all because of the carbs...

ok that's me...

Hi, lizzybme! Your A1C will set the doctor straight....when he sees it is not high he will have no choice but to believe that you've been keeping your numbers within range. Last pregnancy, I got mine down from 5.7 to 5.2 by the time I delivered. Yet, the endo still didn't seem like he believed me that I was keeping my bs in great range either....so I was so happy to announce Brandon's weight to them when I went back for my follow up visit!! I also lost 35 pounds the by the first two weeks after I had them. Again, I believe that the staying low carb helped with the rapid weight loss right after. It's funny, even my rings got loose *during* my pregnancy, to the point I couldn't wear them anymore because I thought I'd lose them! I still can't wear them now, I need to get them resized. But I'm going to wait until after this baby.

And I also remember I didn't stay too low carb during the first trimester of my last pregnancy-just the smell of the previous night's steak dinner in the kitchen would make me want to hurl. I only puked about 4 or 5 times, but I was nausous an awful lot. I went through a lot of ginger ale and saltine crackers, in fact I was amazed at how well the saltine crackers worked to alleviate the nausea. I had heard to eat them, but I never believed it until I went through it. So, even though I wasn't too low carb during the first trimester, I didn't gain any weight (in fact I lost a bit-could afford to though) because I ate so little. All my body wanted was saltine crackers, ginger ale and maybe some scrambled eggs. Oh, and orange juice. Couldn't get enough of that. Which of course we know is no good for blood sugar!!! No meat though! But once I got to the second trimester, I ate a sausage, egg and jalepeno jack cheese platter practically every day for breakfast. I could always count on my blood sugar being perfect after that meal.

Happycat21 02-15-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant (Post 15418959)
Sharon- Oh my! Isn't that funny how you stop TTC and get pregnant? We put so much pressure on ourselves trying. Just think, your babies may have an extra special bond being so close in age. My BF and his sister are nearly a year apart and are very close because of it. I wish you a healthy pregnancy with your new little one. You will manage! It'll be ok.

Thank you so much! Yes, I've heard that they will probably be very close, and Brandon probably won't have too many jealousy issues if at all since he probalby won't even remember being an only child. I would love to have a girl, but I would definitely not be disappointed if I had another boy because they would hopefully be best friends. In my dreams, I will have a boy again this time around, and then have a girl a year or two later who will be protected like *crazy* by her two older brothers and her daddy! :love: But daddy seems to want to stop at two....but we'll see. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant (Post 15418959)
Well, I had my IUD removed yesterday. I met my Gyn/OB for the first time. She was wonderful! I went to the Women's Health clinic at the medical group I got to for my primary dr. I chose her because she focuses specifically on fertility issues. I asked what we could do to help conceive, her answer "have lots of sex!" lol Well, of course! I got some OPK tests, but she said don't even bother. I'm just going to start a calendar and track from my first day of my period and count out from there. From what I'm reading, your supposed to try on your 10, 12, 14, and 16 days out from your first day of your last period. That's easy enough. I think we'll do that for now. I am so very excited to begin this journey! :)

Awesome! Yup, have lots of sex! :D It's so funny, becasue the nurse at my dr office asked me if the new baby has been sleeping through the night, and I responded back, "apparently, or I don't think I'd be here right now expecting #2 already!" :hyst: We DID wait at least 8 weeks before we "resumed" activities though....:o

They told me that using OPK weren't going to be too accurate because of the PCOS, so I saved my $$$. What I did BOTH times I got pregnant was monitor my cervical mucous. (Once my period got more regulated.) It's kind of gross to say, but when it gets like an egg white consistency, it's time to do the deed. :birthday: My girlfried told me that, and I will also credit her with helping me get pregnant with Brandon. I went to the bathroom, noticed a definite change in the mucous and called down to DH who was busy playing a video game and said "honey, you got a minute"? :laugh: :laugh: He still reminds me of that story!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justababy (Post 15419116)
Sharon
:goodpost:

I am so happy for you!! I am new to the group but this was all the encouragement I needed to stay eating healthy!! I too have PCOS am 30 y.o. and I have a 7 yr., when my son was 3 y.o. I had a MC and that's when I found out I had PCOS. My dh and I have been ttc fo a while now but this year is different for me I am not focused on ttc but rather focused on my health.. I started low card at 229.8 on 1/23/2012 and today i am 2/15/2012 I am 210.6!!:jumpjoy:.. I pray :aprayer:you continued healthy babies and a most pleseant experience.

Alecia

Alecia-that's awesome, you've already lost almost 20 pounds! My reproductive endogronologist said that even a 10% reduction in weight can help ease PCOS symptoms. :)

And while I hated to hear it when I was in the throws of TTC, I found the thing that worked the best for me was to NOT foucs on TTC. Once I stopped that focus (although I threw my focus and energy to fixing up the new house), I got pregnant soon after. But it's so hard when all you want is to have a little baby in your arms, I totally get it. I know my personality though, I always have to have a "project" or keep "busy" with something or I can get awfully depressed. So, even though I got obsessed with something new (the house), it took my focus off of what I most wanted, and then I got it. :love:

Best of luck to you in your journey! Focusing on your HEALTH is an awesome way to start your journey. The better you feel and the healthier you are, the easier your pregnancy will be I believe! :hugs:

Happycat21 02-15-2012 10:41 AM

Sorry, it's me again, LOL!

Had my blood work to confirm the pregnancy yesterday, and the nuse called me and said that "yes, you are very pregnant"! So, I take that to mean that my levels are very strong. As expected though (and with PCOS apparently very common), my progesterone levels are low, so I am supplementing with prometrium. I had to do that with Brandon too. Tomorrow, I have my first scan. I am going to go through the RE's office for the first few weeks of pregnancy like I did last time even though we didn't use fertility treatments. I just liked how close they followed me last time and I had a few re-assuring ultrasounds before I was "graduated" to my regular OB. I assume my due date is on or around 10/8 based on my last period, but I should get a more accurate date tomorrow from the scan.

I get so nervous though because I don't want to get told there is anything wrong. I know worrying isn't going to change anything, but I will be much happier when/if we can see the heart beat tomorrow. I also have a couple of fibroids that didn't cause me any problems last pregnancy, but who knows what they'll be up to now. :dunno:

I'm also concerned because I did take some Klonopin (anti anxiety med) before I found out I was pregnant. It is a class c drug I think, so I hope I didn't do any damage. I only took 4 or 5 small doses since I conceived though. (I had PPD and PPA after having Brandon, and my anxiety was especially bad.) Again, I didn't know I could get pregnant so easily, so I feel awful now that I still took the meds. I'll mention to the doctor tomorrow.

Portia 02-15-2012 10:58 AM

subbing

gab 02-15-2012 12:42 PM

Jill - I've been told/read that ketosis while preggo and breastfeeding can be harmful to the baby. When I was preggo, I got up to 100 carbs a day before I was out of ketosis. I started out really well, but in the last trimester with massive heartburn (yes, baby was born with LOTS of hair), I just needed the extra carbs and milk. ATM I am not counting at all.

My little one is up to eat every two to three hours. Sleep is a luxury but I wouldn't trade it for even missing one toothless smile.

My pcos prevented me from conceiving for four years before I sought help. Part of me wants to kick myself for waiting, the other part says it was meant to be this way. My brother is now expecting his first in sept so the cousins will be less than a year apart.

gab 02-15-2012 06:36 PM

Just downloaded an awesome app for the iPad - baby log. Wish I realized it was there before now.

jillybean720 02-16-2012 04:36 AM

Hurray for lots of new posts since last checked in :D

I had a regular checkup yesterday morning, and they said I've not gained any weight since my last appointment 2 weeks ago. Doc seemed mildly concerned because he said I should be gaining about a pound a week at this point, and I'm only up about 2 pounds in 5 weeks. I was not concerned at all since I'm over 200 pounds - I promise I'm carrying enough weight for us both! I have an ultrasound this morning to check growth/size, and I'm sure it will be just fine.
Quote:

Originally Posted by gab (Post 15419704)
Jill - I've been told/read that ketosis while preggo and breastfeeding can be harmful to the baby.

I've heard/read this as well, but I have yet to find a single actual study or any form of concrete evidence that supports it. I think people just fear what they don't know or understand. Ketosis is a very natural state for the human body, and mommas were having babies long before fruits, starchy veggies, and grains were widely readily available. I stayed very low in carbs throughout my entire first and into my second trimester, and I had SUCH an easy time - now, I've never been pregnant before, so maybe it was not due to my diet, but I've read lots of stories of other low-carb or paleo women who reported the same (little to no nausea, no morning sickness, no headaches, no swelling...I have been a bit tired, but other than that and a growing belly, essentially NO sypmtoms/side effects of pregnancy).

Not trying to convince anyone to go lower carb than they are comfortable with - we each obviously have to do what works for us :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happycat21 (Post 15419305)
I'm also concerned because I did take some Klonopin (anti anxiety med) before I found out I was pregnant. It is a class c drug I think, so I hope I didn't do any damage. I only took 4 or 5 small doses since I conceived though. (I had PPD and PPA after having Brandon, and my anxiety was especially bad.) Again, I didn't know I could get pregnant so easily, so I feel awful now that I still took the meds. I'll mention to the doctor tomorrow.

heh, my doc's office told me I was "very pregnant" also - I thought it was a funny choice of words :P
I didn't take any medications, but I was previously supplementing with high doses of vitamin A in palmitate form (I've previously had weight loss surgery, so I take supplements in some high dosages and multiple times a day), which is known to be linked to physical birth defects. I didn't know I was pregnant until I was already about 8 weeks along, so I didn't make any changes to my supplements until then, and, like you, I wasn't expecting to be pregnant already (I'd been using the NuvaRing, and everything I'd read said something like 6-12 weeks to become fertile again after removing it, but I ended up pregnant in my very first cycle after I took it out!). I am still concerned that baby may come out with a cleft lip or something, but I know there's nothing I can do about it now, so we will do the only thing we can...wait and see!

lizzybme 02-16-2012 07:16 AM

I love all the info!!!

jillybean720 02-16-2012 09:13 AM

Whoot, good ultrasound this morning! We were able to comfirm that it is a boy (hurray!), though he had his hand between his legs over his penis :P But she could see the testicles. No photos from today's ultrasound since he was facing my back, so we never saw so much as even a profile.

They're estimating he weighs about 5 pounds now and estimating he'll be around 7 and not more tha 8 at birth. We'll see!

gab 02-16-2012 10:13 AM

Seems to me that there are a lot of boys coming round lately. I :heart: boys!

Portia 02-16-2012 12:05 PM

subbing - will add info later. :hiya:

craec 02-16-2012 01:49 PM

Subbing...

I'm new to the forums (again). I just started low-carb again on Sunday after enough of my family hit me over the head reminding me that "that" was what worked and also kept my depression in check. Today is Day 5 and it's a relief to be low-carb again. :)

We have two kids right now, a little girl who is 6 and our baby turns 1 at the end of this month. Hoping to get my weight down and get pregnant with baby #3 at the end of this year. :)

Blondie Baby 02-17-2012 10:23 AM

Jilly - Hurray on a good US. Boys are great, but then, so are girls!:love:

I start the progesterone suppositories tomorrow in preparation for the Embryo Transfer Tuesday. Can't believe it is happening in 4 days!

Happycat21 02-18-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gab (Post 15422086)
Seems to me that there are a lot of boys coming round lately. I :heart: boys!

Yes, I :love: boys too! Yeah, Jillybean congratulations for your boy! :D

I had my first ultrasound Thursday and the doctor said "I have nothing but good things to say" so that was good to hear. We saw the heartbeat too, and he said we should be able to hear it next appointment. I'm on prometrium because my progesterone is low (common with PCOS), but the nurse called yesterday and said that my progesterone levels were at 30 and looked really good. The doctor did want me to go back on Metformin for the next few weeks at least just so that my sugars are more in check (I'm not checking them yet though). Of course, Friday morning due to the Metformin side effects, I puked right into my garbage can at work....how embarrassing. :o :sick: :sick: And then I had to tell my assistant I was pregnant because I started getting sick when she was there. Oh boy....I wanted to wait to tell people, it's still too early since I'm only 6 weeks along. Just hoping that everything continues to go well and the little bean stays healthy!

How is everyone else doing?

Happycat21 02-18-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blondie Baby (Post 15424731)
Jilly - Hurray on a good US. Boys are great, but then, so are girls!:love:

I start the progesterone suppositories tomorrow in preparation for the Embryo Transfer Tuesday. Can't believe it is happening in 4 days!

Yeah!! Saying prayers for you! :aprayer:

Ghislaine 02-18-2012 08:54 AM

Best of luck to all of you!

I'm in weight loss mode with the intention of getting pregnant once I drop another 15 pounds or so.

I only had one ultrasound with my first at 12 weeks to know if I was carrying twins or not. Three weeks before the birth the midwife told me she thought I had a seven pounder already. *grins* I gave birth to a six pounder!

craec 02-18-2012 10:33 AM

Those who have been pregnant on low-carb , how does that work? Do you need to increase your carbs? My goal is to be at a maintenance level for a few months before getting pregnant, would I be able to just continue like that or would it need to be increased?

gab 02-18-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craec (Post 15426812)
Those who have been pregnant on low-carb , how does that work? Do you need to increase your carbs? My goal is to be at a maintenance level for a few months before getting pregnant, would I be able to just continue like that or would it need to be increased?

My doctor told me to eat enough carbs to avoid ketosis. For me personally, that meant I had to up my carb count to 100 carbs a day. I used the keto sticks to track my progress. I started a month ahead of time and went up to 40 carbs for a week, then 60, then 80 --- until I found I dropped out of ketosis. I was amazed it took so many carbs for that to happen.

Happycat21 02-18-2012 03:13 PM

My doctor told me that I should try to eat around 50ish grams of carbs a day. Some days I stayed VLC, and other days I ate a little more. My doctors were not concerned about ketones, and never had me check. (Thankfully since I was already checking my BS and BP several times per day every day!)

suzanneyea 02-18-2012 03:30 PM

I am 30 weeks pregnant, also with a boy. I stay under 10 or 20 carbs a day. I ate off plan for 2 weeks in the first trimester, but I turned into a crazy lady. So, even though I hate all lc food, it is what I eat to stay mentally healthy. I dream of eating candy though,
In Canada, we only get 1 ultrsound at 20 weeks.

Ghislaine 02-18-2012 05:01 PM

When I was an exchange student, my host mother was trying to get pregnant with a boy since there were already 3 girls. She followed a diet from a book that was supposed to change the pH down there to help the boy boys get to the egg first. It struck me later that it seemed to be fairly low carb though I think cheese products were excluded as well. I have no idea if the diet of the mother would really have that much influence but it seemed to work for her since she did end up pregnant with a boy! I've got a girl now so I wouldn't really mind if sticking to low carb while TTC nets me a boy this time around! :laugh: I might even be willing to forgo cheese for a month or so!