Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #151
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins
Start Date: A long time ago
Ladies, I have a few questions about TTC. I've been keeping track of the days since my last period started and using OPK sticks. I'm 14 days out and still haven't had a positive test. My doctor recommended trying on the 10th, 12th, 14th, and 16th days. Tomorrow will be the 16th day. Is it possible I've missed the positive test, or I haven't ovulated? I'm testing twice a day now, just to be sure. This is the first month I've actually charted my cycle, so it's good practice. It's all so confusing!

Shana

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Oregon, it's possible you haven't ovulated yet either...some women don't ovulate right in the middle of their cycle. Do you check your cervical mucous? That's what did it for me, both times I got pregnant.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #153
KQT
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
I ovulated on day 18, so don't give up! the digital opk's by first response gives you 20 little sticks. i tried the other product sticks and kept coming up with "is that a line? i can't tell" so i needed the YES or NO.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:56 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Well, I'm on bedrest! My BP the first time they took it yesterday was actually 155/105 They retested on my other arm, and it was in the 140s/92. They took some bloodwork to check for any other signs of preeclampsia (I have no swelling, no headaches, no protein in my urine...). Otherwise, I'm just out on "hypertension during pregnancy." I go back in on Monday for the bloodwork results and a BP follow-up. I'm pretty sure the BP is stress-related, not preeclampsia, but if anything else wonky comes back in that bloodwork, doc said they can't "keep me pregnant," so we would then be discussing induction. I'd much rather NOT induce, especially since I'd rather keep him in there until at LEAST 39 weeks, but well do whatever we need to do to have a healthy baby. Good news is we also did an NST yesterday, and that came back completely normal, so baby is not stressed (I think that is what helps me feel better about this all).

Oregon - sorry, I'm not much help! I didn't track anything at all. But my friend who had been TTC for months finally got a positive on an OPK stick and BAM, got pregnant! So I hope you see some color on those sticks soon!
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 03-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #155
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Well, I'm on bedrest! My BP the first time they took it yesterday was actually 155/105 They retested on my other arm, and it was in the 140s/92. They took some bloodwork to check for any other signs of preeclampsia (I have no swelling, no headaches, no protein in my urine...). Otherwise, I'm just out on "hypertension during pregnancy." I go back in on Monday for the bloodwork results and a BP follow-up. I'm pretty sure the BP is stress-related, not preeclampsia, but if anything else wonky comes back in that bloodwork, doc said they can't "keep me pregnant," so we would then be discussing induction. I'd much rather NOT induce, especially since I'd rather keep him in there until at LEAST 39 weeks, but well do whatever we need to do to have a healthy baby. Good news is we also did an NST yesterday, and that came back completely normal, so baby is not stressed (I think that is what helps me feel better about this all).

Oregon - sorry, I'm not much help! I didn't track anything at all. But my friend who had been TTC for months finally got a positive on an OPK stick and BAM, got pregnant! So I hope you see some color on those sticks soon!
Jilly - this happened to me! I was on bedrest for PIH. I also doubt you have pre-eclampsia. Don't they know that you are moving, lol?

I delivered at 37.5 weeks (after they tested for lung maturity - make sure they do this) and everything was fine. He was just 6 lbs but he is now a healthy, strong boy in the 95th% for height and 85th% for weight. So if BP doesn't settle down, don't get too worried about the baby coming out a bit early. It'll all be fine. Sometimes 39 weeks are not in the cards.

My guess is the resting will bring your BP right down anyway.

Portia's Journal
Old 03-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #156
Blabbermouth!!!

Oregon - I have always ovulated late - day 19 or 20 - and had a 30-32 day cycle. This was true both times I got PG and is not uncommon, so *keep testing*. I gave up too soon for several cycles and thought I was not ovulating before I figured it out.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #157
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I am 33 weeks and miserable. I am so tired and can do nothing all day.
Ah, babe. You're in the homestretch. Try to nap and do short stints of activity. I know it's hard.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:10 AM   #158
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by court613 View Post
KQT - I could have written your exact story in the beginning of my pregnancy. Started spotting, went in for u/s and only saw the empty sac. My hcg kept going up though and thy told me that I probably wasn't as far along as I thought I was. A week or so later I went in for the follow up u/s and baby was there!

I know I haven't been around much, but I wanted to let everyone know that Bennett has arrived!!! He was born last Tuesday night after a long 23 hours of labor. He weighed 6lbs 3 oz and was 19 in long. He was 3 1/2 week early so I was freaking out when my water broke Monday night. But all is well and he is perfect. We came home Thursday night and have fallen completely, totally in love with this little guy. He is a piggy and breastfeeding is going great. Postpartum hormones are no joke - they are brutal! I haven't been very hormonal during pregnancy so I've been a little caught off guard with how emotional I've been.

Good luck ladies! I'll check back in soon. Jilly - you're next!
Mazel Tov! How exciting. I love the name, too. Oh gosh - I remember those hormones. I was so weepy but then so euphoric. Post pics!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:13 AM   #159
KQT

jill, do you have a home BP monitor? i use mine religiously. my readings are actually higher at home than they are at the dr's office - probably more sensitive than their machines. i've been maintaining 135/85 for my pre-med BP reading and the meds drop it down to 120/75ish within an hour. my husband took his last night, it was something ridiculous like 107/70. boys.

either way - it's your body telling you to relax! i know it's hard with all the excitement of baby and new house!

suzanne - i'm sorry you're not feeling well. 7 more weeks!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #160
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie Baby View Post

Portia - on the GD diagnosis! I never had to deal with that. And if I do manage to get pregnant will probably refuse the test!
I know they don't even do the test in many countries, but I will say that I am not sorry that I did it or that we treated the GD. Mine was full-blown GD and I did read some of the studies connecting high BS to heart defects in children. In the end, testing my bs didn't do me any harm and I kept my blood sugar nice and low. I mean, it s_cked, to be sure, but I am going to get tested again if I get pg again.

But - there is a whole growing movement against even doing the test, so I can see where you are coming from.

Ok ladies - I am off to see my new RE, who I found on this very thread.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lizzybme
Stats: 270/149.8/150,2011: 156/240/207/196.2 after baby
WOE: LC after baby year later
Start Date: 8/21/09, 11/6/2010 #100 lost, 149.8 3/3/2011
my fasting numbers are going up...it was 105 this morning.
Insulin.......it's coming.
I would request just some R to treat highs only. The same food can make a big bump one day and none the next....freaky.

18 weeks today.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

suzanne - I'm so sorry you're feeling crappy. I went through a few weeks probably right around your time where I was just SO TIRED. I seriously could not function at certain times throughout the day. I started working from home more and actually literally fell asleep during a conference call once! I woke up to all the beeping of the other participants hanging up because the call had ended - hope they hadn't asked me any questions! Anyway, just a couple weeks ago, my energy seemed to come back a bit. I'm not about to be running marathons, but I can at least stay awake during the day. I hope you find the same, that it'll just be a bit of a rough patch, and it will get better soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQT View Post
jill, do you have a home BP monitor? i use mine religiously.
You know, I do own one...and it was in my kitchen, which means it's now packed up in a box somewhere! I need to do some grocery shopping later today anyway, so maybe I'll use the one at the pharmacy at the store while I'm out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybme View Post
my fasting numbers are going up...it was 105 this morning.
Insulin.......it's coming.
I would request just some R to treat highs only. The same food can make a big bump one day and none the next....freaky.
Ugh, that's the biggest ***** about diabetes - the inconsistency. It's so hard to nail down the right treatment when the symptoms keep fluctuating!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jillybean-so sorry about the blood pressure! I had to do that annoying 24 hour urine collection twice my last pregnancy. They always tested my urine at every doctor appointment and it never had protein in it, but I would show a lot of protein in the 24 hour test. My blood pressure started to go up a bit in my second trimester, but a lot of my issue is white lab coat syndrome. I have a home monitor and would take it every day, sometimes twice a day and never had a high reading at home. So, they agreed to let me track it at home and report in once a week with my numbers because they realized I would stress so easily at the dr. office. I never had to go on bp meds, but I was so worried I would have to go on bed rest. Also, try laying on your left side, it usually will bring your blood pressure down pretty low.

You said you're going to the store today. I'm confused....how does bed rest work then? I thought that meant you literally could not get out of bed unless you had to pee or go see the doctor?

Our baby boys that we waited so long for. They are 359 days apart!

Sharon
Old 03-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: court613
Stats: -32
Start Date: baby boy born on 2/28/12!
Thanks for the Congrats everyone! I'll post some pics as soon as I turn get on the laptop (on my phone now).

Maryam - thinking tons of good thoughts for you. Keep us posted on the next step.

Jill - my bp started rising in week 33. It was usually around 140/90, sometimes higher and sometimes lower. I was tested for pre-e too but was just diagnosed with PIH, thank goodness! Mine was just stress related. I wasn't put on bed rest for it, but I was scheduled for a NST and BPP the week I delivered and have a feeling I would have been taken out of work then. High bp can cause premature delivery and now I'll always wonder if that is what caused me to go into labor at 36w 4d. Glad you're full term now in case you are induced or go into labor!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice. I will keep testing and try not to get discouraged. This is our first cycle for TTC, so I'm just excited and anxious. I'm so grateful for finding this group. I've learned so much already! <3 you guys and your willingness to help.

Court- Congratulations!

Jilly- So sorry to hear you're having BP issues and on bed rest. I hope you get to keep that little guy in there a bit longer.

Lizzy- Time flies by, can't believe you're 18 weeks! I must have missed it, but did you have blood sugar issues before you became pregnant, or it it just GD?

Suzanne- Sorry to hear you're feeling bad, but you're almost there!

KQT- I'm glad everything's checking out ok now. Scary! Thanks for the advice, I appreciate you sharing.

Sharon- I have been checking my CM, but I feel like I'm not very good at interpreting the results! I haven't seen any egg-white or stringy texture yet.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #166
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gab
Start Date: March 6, 2013
Portia - gl at the RE -hope it goes well
Oregon - I found out that I did not ovulate every month even when I would have regular cycles. I only found that out when my reproductive endo began doing ultrasounds each month. Several months I had a cyst not an egg. I think it was part of what led to the pcos diagnosis for me. Good luck to you!

Hi to everyone else

Last edited by gab; 03-08-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Old 03-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #167
Blabbermouth!!!

Gab - it went great! Really liked him. He was informative, didn't rush me, was reasonably personable and friendly.

Ovaries looked good, have eggs (this month's egg was "right where it is supposed to be." My only problem is probably age and lack of *viable* egg.

He sent me for some additional blood tests and the plan is to start clomid next cycle! Yay!!! I go back in 2 weeks.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

OB called me today and said all of my lab results look "excellent" So no signs of preeclampsia at all, just the high BP. It was kind of weird to not work at all today - I kept feeling like I was forgetting to do something! And I had bad dreams last night about being in the hospital and not being able to reach my husband and the doctor trying to rush me into things...hopefully, the stressful dreams and the stressful feeling of thinking I should be working will go away sooner than later! In the meantime I was at least able to nap on the couch this afternoon, and I plan to finish my baby shower thank you cards tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycat21 View Post
You said you're going to the store today. I'm confused....how does bed rest work then? I thought that meant you literally could not get out of bed unless you had to pee or go see the doctor?
I can't stay confined to the bed - way too much to do! I really think that just not having to work will be a huge stress relief for me. Plus, when doc called today to let me know the bloodwork came back fine, she said to just make sure I "take it easy" and try to relax. I bet my BP will even be down a bit already by Monday without the stress of working (I had a big project I was working on that is due on the 21st, which wasn't helping!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by court613 View Post
Jill - my bp started rising in week 33. It was usually around 140/90, sometimes higher and sometimes lower. I was tested for pre-e too but was just diagnosed with PIH, thank goodness! Mine was just stress related. I wasn't put on bed rest for it, but I was scheduled for a NST and BPP the week I delivered and have a feeling I would have been taken out of work then. High bp can cause premature delivery and now I'll always wonder if that is what caused me to go into labor at 36w 4d. Glad you're full term now in case you are induced or go into labor!
I'm really glad I had the NST esterday as well - made me feel better to know baby Ben is doing fine even though my BP is up. And she said I didn't have any contractions while I was on the NST monitor. I very rarely feel contractions at all, maybe once or twice a day, max, and usually in the evenings, so just BH for now. I don't know if I'm ilated or effaced at all because I refuse to let them do any cervical checks, but without much in the way of contractions, I'm hoping I'll be able to keep him in there!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #169
Blabbermouth!!!

That's great, Jilly!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I can't stay confined to the bed - way too much to do! I really think that just not having to work will be a huge stress relief for me. Plus, when doc called today to let me know the bloodwork came back fine, she said to just make sure I "take it easy" and try to relax. I bet my BP will even be down a bit already by Monday without the stress of working (I had a big project I was working on that is due on the 21st, which wasn't helping!).
Oh, I hear you, that was my biggest fear being put on bed rest. I had so much to do too when pregnant with Brandon last year. I literally worked up to the day I went in for induction (the induction was Saturday, but I couldn't go into work Saturday---I would if I could!) I did spend the day Saturday doing a lot of shopping, I remember having an Italian Sausage at Costco ) So glad to hear that it isn't pre-eclampsia!

Quote:
I don't know if I'm ilated or effaced at all because I refuse to let them do any cervical checks, but without much in the way of contractions, I'm hoping I'll be able to keep him in there!
How do they react when you tell them you refuse to let them do the cervical checks? I didn't know I could have refused....my OB literally made me see stars every time she did a cervical exam. Unbelievable pain. That's why I had to get my epidural at only 1.5 centimeters because I was sobbing in pain everytime she even came near my bed. When the nurses did it, it didn't hurt as much, but my OB said they weren't doing it right. When will (if ever) you let them check your cervix? And what is your reason for not letting them do it?

Last edited by Happycat21; 03-09-2012 at 07:37 AM..
Old 03-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

I have been a diabetic for years. On insulin 70/30 65 units twice a day.
Started low carb, got off all meds, and dropped 120 pounds.
Hit my 1 yr make for keeping the weight off in Sept.
Had to have a abdominal surgery in Nov, turned up pregnant by thanksgiving.
Weight has been up about 10 pounds a month, had MS and unable to eat meat at all.
So I'm at 18 weeks, up 36 pounds, and looking at insulin again.
I have tried to go back to LC since I love most meat again, but BS crashes in the afternoon I'll hit 60 and get the shakes. I don't know what will be worse, having constant bs drops or after meal 2 hour readings of 130's.

Cw 206 Gw 150
Avi is at goal weight. Got to get baby weight off.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycat21 View Post
How do they react when you tell them you refuse to let them do the cervical checks? I didn't know I could have refused....my OB literally made me see stars every time she did a cervical exam. Unbelievable pain. That's why I had to get my epidural at only 1.5 centimeters because I was sobbing in pain everytime she even came near my bed. When the nurses did it, it didn't hurt as much, but my OB said they weren't doing it right. When will (if ever) you let them check your cervix? And what is your reason for not letting them do it?
First, Costco has awesome food - a slice of Costco pizza is one of the meals I treat myself to at times because it so amazingly cheesy and delicious

As for cervical checks, I just never even take my pants off! At my last appointment, the nurse or assistant or whatever handed me a drape cloth and said to undress from the waist down, and I asked why. She said doc was going to check my cervix I just shook my head no, and she put the cloth back in the drawer.

I refuse them because they're not medically necessary, and they really don't tell you anything. You could be not dilated at all one day and still go into labor the next day, or you could walk around at 3cm dilated and not go into labor for WEEKS. It's meaningless! Plus, for some, the checks can cause cramps or discomfort, and some even think they can help stimulate things to start happening - I do NOT want my baby coming any sooner than he is ready for, so I don't let anyone stick anything "in there" unnecessarily. Also, while generally safe, it's just another way to potentially introduce bacteria to an already sensitive area. So, I just say no to cervical checks. I plan not to have any until I'm in the hospital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybme View Post
I have tried to go back to LC since I love most meat again, but BS crashes in the afternoon I'll hit 60 and get the shakes. I don't know what will be worse, having constant bs drops or after meal 2 hour readings of 130's.
How low carb are you going, and are you on any meds? It's not really normal to have lows with low carbing if your carbs are low enough and you're not on meds or insulin, so I wonder if something else is going on there (or if maybe the pregnancy hormones are playing more of a role?).
Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Jillybean, that makes sense. I just may consider doing the same thing this time around. I find myself already super nervous about them and I'm only 9 weeks along! I don't need to add any extra anxiety to my already nervous personality.

And yes, Costco pizza is soooooooo good too.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #174
KQT

well, there's a baby in me! it's amazing how you can go from a black lonely blob to an entire baby & yolk sac in a week! heartbeat was at 143 and measuring at 7w3d. words can't express how relieved we were to see that, i'm still amazed that this pregnancy is finally working for us. on sunday i had horrible all-day sickness and threw up at work later in the week and i was like, if there isn't a baby in me, this is a cruel cruel joke!

jilly, i love how smart you are. you've definitely done your homework.
lizzy, thanks for all your diabetic input as well. i'm learning a lot from you ladies.
Portia, i'm happy to see they put you on clomid, we'll be wishing you good luck with your eggs!
Old 03-10-2012, 04:57 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQT View Post
well, there's a baby in me! it's amazing how you can go from a black lonely blob to an entire baby & yolk sac in a week! heartbeat was at 143 and measuring at 7w3d.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah!!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #177
gab
Major LCF Poster!

KQT - congratulations!!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #178
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Portia - so glad things went well. I really liked his staff - the Michelles are both really sweet and gentle. Wishing you the best of luck
Old 03-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KQT----so excited and happy for you!!!!!

I just knew your HCG levels were a good sign. And you're right about the all day sickness!!!

So awesome. Congrats!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

KQT- YAY! Congratulations!

I finally got a positive ovulation test today! What a relief! Of course I tested several times just to make sure. Cross you fingers for me...
Closed Thread