Old 03-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #121
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Cassandra turned 6 months yesterday!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 423639_3179729047179_1084256312_32870549_864470680_n.jpg (41.3 KB, 18 views)

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
Stats: 279/272/180
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
She's a cutie, Lora!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
Start Date: every day
She is so beautiful!!

How fast time flies!!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #124
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Momtoamayalilal2
Stats: 195.7/193.3/165
WOE: Atkins Induction
Hi ladies! I hav enjoyed reading through this thread and seeing that there are mama's who are eating low carb while pregnant!

I am a 34yr old wife and mama to 4 kiddos and am 4 weeks, 4 days preggo with my 5th! Child! I have a history of PCOS/infertility (although you wouldnt think so With all the kids I have ) and IR. i have been doing Atkins off and on for 2 yrs.

This morning I tested my fasting blood sugar levels and am at 110. I am not Diabetic but defintely prediabetic and want to have as healthy a pregnancy as possible..keeping my blood sugar stable.

I have seen several different things online in regards to carb amounts etc and how eating maintenance levels in atkins is best.....but those are not giving me hard numbers to keep track of. I need a good guideline to stick to or I am all over the place. A friend of mine said 100 grms of carbs per day, abother site said 65-75 grms. How many are those of you who ate low carb eating? I am gaining weight already and dont want to gain anymore this trimester! I am 5'8 and as of this a.m 197 lbs This is 10lbs more than I have started any of my other pregnancies and at the rate I am going I will be 40-50 lbs heavier at the end when i really dont want to gain more than 20 for my health, the baby's, and ease of delivery!

Thanks in advance and great to meet you all!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycat21 View Post
Oh my gosh, Jillybean....it just hit me, you are due in less than a month!!! How are you feeling? Nervous? Excited? Do you have a birth plan?
I'm feeling fine - just tired. No nausea, no contractions, no heartburn, no swelling, no nothin' but a big belly and some fatigue I'm not making any sort of formal birth plan because evenryone I know who has said it went right out the window when real labor started. I have no desire to try to be a hero and go all natural, so my preference is to go until I just can't stand it anymore, then get an epidural; I don't want to get the epidural too early in the hopes that the later I get it, the less chance of stalling my progress. I DO know that there will be no one in the delivery room with me besides my husband and the medical staff. I actually had my childbirth class today, and she was presenting relaxation techniques like a focus object, calming music, massage, etc., but I seriously don't think I personally have the personality for that kind of stuff - I think they would all make me roll my eyes and get mad instead of actually soothing me :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtoamayalilal2 View Post
I have seen several different things online in regards to carb amounts etc and how eating maintenance levels in atkins is best.....but those are not giving me hard numbers to keep track of. I need a good guideline to stick to or I am all over the place. A friend of mine said 100 grms of carbs per day, abother site said 65-75 grms. How many are those of you who ate low carb eating? I am gaining weight already and dont want to gain anymore this trimester! I am 5'8 and as of this a.m 197 lbs This is 10lbs more than I have started any of my other pregnancies and at the rate I am going I will be 40-50 lbs heavier at the end when i really dont want to gain more than 20 for my health, the baby's, and ease of delivery!
Welcome, and congratulations on #5! All I can say is I was around max 50g of carbs (usually less) throughout my first trimester, and it was fabulous - I wish I'd stuck with it instead of letting life get in the way!
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 03-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #126
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gab
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 6, 2013
Jilly - in my birthing class I felt the same way about most of the techniques just annoying me like having DH massage my arm. I ended up with a c-sec so never tried them out. I do use some of the breathing for my root canals and general dentist visits.

Momto - I had to be up near 100 carbs. My do recommended avoiding ketosis and using ketone strips I determined that less than 100c and I was still in ketosis. Like jilly I wish I had stuck with it the whole pregnancy and beyond.

Cassandra is a cutie pie!
Goal: MUCH LESS!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Start Date: A long time ago
Momtoamayalilal2, welcome to our group!

Officially TTC this week, as I should be ovulating soon. I'm 11 days out from my last period, so this is the week to try, try, try. I spent the day with my best friend yesterday, she just had a baby in November. Spending time with her and her daughter make me feel baby crazy! She's adorable and starting to smile and coo now. She knows we're TTC, her and her husband are the only ones who know, so we talked a lot about that. I'm just so excited to be officially trying!

I'm very interested in the discussions about keeping LC while pregnant. I'd love to, that's my goal. I am already much heavier than I want to be, so I'm really trying to lose as much as I can now and be healthy. Now I have some real motivation!

Shana
Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I'm very interested in the discussions about keeping LC while pregnant. I'd love to, that's my goal. I am already much heavier than I want to be, so I'm really trying to lose as much as I can now and be healthy. Now I have some real motivation!
Congrats on beginning the TTC adventure! I stayed around 50g or less of carbs daily in my first trimester (and it was only even that high because I allowed myself some organic whole milk and more fruit than usual), and I actually ended up losing about 12 pounds that trimester, so it was a nice little step ahead in the weight gain game because I started out with a deficit instead of gaining right away
Old 03-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #129

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I am still around too. I am 32 weeks and feel just huge and cannot wait to be done! There has been a lot of family stress recently that I just do not need. I did get my cast off, but my arm is still really sore and swollen. I thought it would be fine once the cast was off, boy was I wrong!
Baby moves all the time too.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #130
Blabbermouth!!!

Momto: I had GD with my second pregnancy. I was put on a low-ish carb plan where I ate 15-20 carbs per snack and 30-45 for meals or thereabouts. The carbs can come from whatever you like.
This comes out around 100-120 carbs per day. I felt pretty good on this plan and did NOT gain a ton of weight (was overweight to begin with).

Personally, I would not go super-low while pregnant. Many people on the board do - personal choice of course.

Make sure that if you are cutting fortified grain products that you are being very careful to take your folic acid supps.

Also, if you're fasting is high, you may be experiencing "dawn effect." I had this as well (google it). What helped me was to have a protein snack at night pretty close to bed time. When I did that, my morning numbers improved.

GL and congratulations. Very envious here.

Portia's Journal

1/1/14: 279
3/20/14: 274
3/24/14: 272

Pounds to goal: 93
Old 03-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #131
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Momtoamayalilal2
Stats: 195.7/193.3/165
WOE: Atkins Induction
Thanks for the welcome!

So for the last two days my numbers have been ok but still too high, I think.

My fasting yesterday was 110 and my fasting this morning was 104. I had one meal where my BS was 125 (1 hour postprandial) and I ate no more than 100 grms of carbs yesterday. I am going to try to have something high protein before bed again, but if my numbers dont go down by tomorrow morning I think I need to drop my carbs When I am low carbing my fasting number were in the 70's and my after meal BS mever went over the 80's-90's. We'll see first if the protein helps at night though because its easier for me to have some more carbs during the day than going low carb with morning.

I eat whole foods, so not a lot of grains in terms of cereals etc...but get enough folic acid from veggies and a whole food vitamin I am taking...but I am going to try and up my veggies and fruits more this week and cut back on the ww bread a bit since that is what seemed to cause my number to go up after lunch yesterday to 125!

Congrats on TTC Portia!! Baby's are such a blessing!! I love having so many kids
Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #132
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
Hi ladies, hope all are doing well!

I had a slight amount of spotting on and off for the last couple of days so I called it in and the doc ordered me an u/s. We saw a tiny sac but nothing was seen inside it as of Thursday. I might not be as far along as we thought (which wasn't far to begin with) but I have had my hcg levels tested every 48 and they are increasing as they should so that is a glimmer of hope. Also havent spotted since the appointment. After tomorrows blood draw results she will schedule me for another u/s. Suffice to say, we are scared by the thought of it being a blighted ovum, but are trying to be as positive as we can and press on!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #133
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Kqt
Old 03-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KQT! Please take it easy. That is good about your HCG levels though!!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blondie Baby
Stats: 213/126/130
WOE: JUDDD with LC
Sorry I haven't been around. Was feeling to ill and rundown I took a few days off work to just rest and relax. Had my test yesterday - negative. So guess we start trying again. Dh and I decided we would do 2 cycles of IVF and that's it. So one more try.

KQT -

Momtoamayalilal2 - . I love having lots of kids, too!

Oregon - for good results!

Jilly - Your on the home stretch!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:36 AM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blondie Baby, I'm so sorry.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lizzybme
Stats: 270/149.8/150,2011: 156/240/207/196.2 after baby
WOE: LC after baby year later
Start Date: 8/21/09, 11/6/2010 #100 lost, 149.8 3/3/2011
Hi there
I have a big sinus and congestion problem since Tuesday. Gone threw 3 bottles of tussin dm

My LC has been a bust. I try to do 2 meals LC and let myself have the extras at dinner. I have had BS lows and shakes when I stay too low for too long. Was at 61 and fainty on Saturday.

My weight gain has slowed, 1 to 2 pounds a week. Still way to much.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #138
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie Baby View Post
Sorry I haven't been around. Was feeling to ill and rundown I took a few days off work to just rest and relax. Had my test yesterday - negative. So guess we start trying again. Dh and I decided we would do 2 cycles of IVF and that's it. So one more try.

KQT -

Momtoamayalilal2 - . I love having lots of kids, too!

Oregon - for good results!

Jilly - Your on the home stretch!!!!!!
From what I have heard, second try is often the winner because the Drs learn quite a bit from your first round. In any event, so sorry it didn't work out this cycle and fingers crossed for the next one.

Prayers for you, KQT.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just had another ultrasound this morning, and the doctor said everything looks great. In fact, I have now officially 'graduated' to my regular OB. I will be 9 weeks tomororw. Heartbeat was 167 bpm and you could see the little bean moving around in there. So cool.

I just have to go back in this Thursday for blood work to test my progesterone levels. The doctor is having me stop my prometrium supplement tomorrow.

He also wants me stop the Metformin, but I am going to stay on it for now anyway. I stayed on it with Brandon until at least 3 months, and two of my doctors last time said it would be perfectly safe to stay on through the whole pregnancy. With PCOS, I have a higher chance of miscarriage, so I would feel better staying on it and getting the extra help with my blood sugar for now while I am eating carbs (they seem to be the only thing that helps quell the nausea for now).

Our baby boys that we waited so long for. They are 359 days apart!

Sharon
Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

Great news, Sharon!

I was on Met for one of my pregnancies for the entire time with no problems.

I see my new RE on Thursday, courtesy of gaby here on this thread. Nervous!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Portia-when you took Metformin for the whole pregnancy, did they ever diagnose you as gestational diabetic? Did you have to do that annoying test? Did they have you testing your blood sugars?

Good luck with your appt. on Thursday....it's the start of good things I just know it!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #142
KQT

I've been on Metformin for over a year, and I plan on staying on it for the entire pregnancy. i also picked up the rainbow light prenatal's, they're gagging me but i'm getting them down.

I have an U/S scheduled for Friday. My hcg's are still going up and right where they need to be, so I'm thinking positively that there might be a little nugget in there. I've been having nausea, no desire to eat at all. and sooooo sleepy! i love to sleep.

good luck on Thursday, Portia!
sharon, congrats on the baby's HB!
blondie, so sorry you missed it this round. hoping you get it next cycle!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Well, the packing has begun - we packed up my entire kitchen (we're just using paper plates/bowls, plastic utensils, and plastic cups now!), pakced up books and home decor type stuff, packed up all of my non-maternity clothes, packed up bathroom stuff that we don't need every day, and disassembled some shelving units.

UGH, as I was typing this response, I just got a call from my realtor - we can't close on our scheduled date!! We were supposed to go to settlement on the 16th, and that just got bumped to TBD...we "should" still be able to close before the 24th, which is when we plan on moving in. If we can't, then I don't know what's going to happen.

Well, that should be agood trigger to increase my BP for tomorrow's weekly OB checkup!

KQT - glad the HCGs are still looking good - that's a great sign!

Blondie - I'll have everything crossed for you!!

Happycat - I'm pretty sure they will want you to test for GD whether you're on metformin or not, especially since met alone isn't always enough if you DO have GD. I haven't been on met while pregnant, but I did decline the usual GD testing (the glucose tolerance tests) because I know they would make me ill. I just test my glucose levels at home to make sure everything stays about where it should be.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #144
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycat21 View Post
Portia-when you took Metformin for the whole pregnancy, did they ever diagnose you as gestational diabetic? Did you have to do that annoying test? Did they have you testing your blood sugars?

Good luck with your appt. on Thursday....it's the start of good things I just know it!
Yes - I took the annoying test and was diagnosed as GD. I had been borderline for my first pregnancy, so they were looking for GD, so to speak.

I tested my sugars like a fiend the entire PG. It was interesting, actually. Had a perfectly healthy 6 lb baby.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: court613
Stats: -32
Start Date: baby boy born on 2/28/12!
KQT - I could have written your exact story in the beginning of my pregnancy. Started spotting, went in for u/s and only saw the empty sac. My hcg kept going up though and thy told me that I probably wasn't as far along as I thought I was. A week or so later I went in for the follow up u/s and baby was there!

I know I haven't been around much, but I wanted to let everyone know that Bennett has arrived!!! He was born last Tuesday night after a long 23 hours of labor. He weighed 6lbs 3 oz and was 19 in long. He was 3 1/2 week early so I was freaking out when my water broke Monday night. But all is well and he is perfect. We came home Thursday night and have fallen completely, totally in love with this little guy. He is a piggy and breastfeeding is going great. Postpartum hormones are no joke - they are brutal! I haven't been very hormonal during pregnancy so I've been a little caught off guard with how emotional I've been.

Good luck ladies! I'll check back in soon. Jilly - you're next!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #146
KQT

OMG Court, I am so happy for you!!! congratulations on finally meeting little boy bennett!! i'll be thinking of you and the raging hormones. i had my own crack at my husband last night, it was totally out of the blue and i was like whoa -- let's back it up. thanks for understanding my plight with my pregnancies - it's certainly been a journey.

jilly, you sure are cutting it close on your new house! i hope you don't put yourself into early labor!

my FBS was 90 today. i was proud.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by court613 View Post
I know I haven't been around much, but I wanted to let everyone know that Bennett has arrived!!! He was born last Tuesday night after a long 23 hours of labor. He weighed 6lbs 3 oz and was 19 in long.
You know we need photos, right?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KQT View Post
jilly, you sure are cutting it close on your new house! i hope you don't put yourself into early labor!

my FBS was 90 today. i was proud.
Well, I'm past the 37-week mark, so I'm considered full term now. Could technically pop any day, but keeping my legs crossed in the hopes he stays in there until after we move!

Keep up the good FBS control!!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #148

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I am 33 weeks and miserable. I am so tired and can do nothing all day.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #149
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Jilly & Suzanne - you're both so close! So exciting.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blondie Baby
Stats: 213/126/130
WOE: JUDDD with LC
Court - to your baby Bennet!!!! So happy all is well and he is perfect, masha'allah! MABROUK!!!!!

Jilly - I hope you get moved before baby arrives! for you!!!

Portia - on the GD diagnosis! I never had to deal with that. And if I do manage to get pregnant will probably refuse the test!

Suzanne - Sorry you aren't feeling well. It won't be much longer! Just enjoy the rest now because once baby comes, you will wish you had so much time to rest!

Still waiting for the clinic to call with my appointment so we can proceed.

<<<<<Me
Closed Thread