Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
I looked up some pediatricians near our new house, but I am SO lot as to where to even begin! I don't have any friends or family that live in that specific area, so no recommendations or referrals to go by. I started Googling some of the names, but most don't appear to have any reviews online. I really don't have the time/energy to interview the 39 female peds located within a 5-mile radius of our new zip code!

I also looked up daycares near our new house, and there's one in a fabulous location that appears to have good reviews. I called them, and they do not currently have an infant waiting list (hurray!), but they won't provide me any information on pricing unless I go in for a tour. Umm, honestly, if you're too expensive, I'm not going to waste my time touring your facility, so...that's annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KQT View Post
my FBG was horrible, 107. i need to get back to the gym but i can't shake this cold/infection thing i picked up last week and don't want to push it and make myself more sick. my goal is to get on the treadmill tomorrow.
Don't forget that being sick/battling an infection can also cause higher than normal glucose levels. Hope you can shake it soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gab View Post
I think I might finally start to be able to stockpile some BM for the future It's stressful trying to make enough for a bottle in the same day as I need it.
I worry about the stockpiling of breastmilk. I have to go back to work full-time after 6 weeks, and I'm trying to figure out how on earth I'm supposed to have any milk pumped/stored by then if I'm supposed to be feeding the baby every 2-3 hours throughout the entire day and night!
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Yeahhh!!! I just got back from the RE's office and the ultrasound showed everything looked great. We even heard the heart beat, 141 bpm. They did do a blood test and will let me know tomorrow, but everything looked good from the ultrasound. They said it is common for some women to have spotting, they were glad to hear it wasn't an awful lot of blood, they said that's when you really have to worry. I also got a prescription for Zofran becaues I've been having awful nausea and have thrown up a few times. He said I have to take it *before* I get nauseous though, it doesn't do much to treat it once you already have it. I hate taking more meds than I need, but if this nausea continues this severely, I will have to take it. I didn't have morning sickness hardly at all with Brandon. Maybe a couple times, but it was mainly when I ate too much at a time, so I learned very quick not to do that.

Our baby boys that we waited so long for. They are 359 days apart!

Sharon
Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #93
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gab
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 6, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I looked up some pediatricians near our new house, but I am SO lot as to where to even begin! I don't have any friends or family that live in that specific area.

I worry about the stockpiling of breastmilk. I have to go back to work full-time after 6 weeks, and I'm trying to figure out how on earth I'm supposed to have any milk pumped/stored by then if I'm supposed to be feeding the baby every 2-3 hours throughout the entire day and night!
When I was looking for a pediatrician, I asked my ob for recommendations. She said that most peds, in her experience, are good - you don't go into that line of work if you don't like kids. For me - it was about location of the office, their hours and accessibility (office is open 7 days though Sunday's are just for sick visits and available by phone whenever office is closed). I lucked out though as I grew up in the area and many of friends/family have recommended this office. Know any local teachers? Have them ask the school nurse for recommendations.

As for the BM, I felt the same way as you - the math didn't add up as to how to make more if the baby eats so often. My son tends to eat only from one side at a time unless he is especially hungry, so then I pump the other. They recommend pumping after he eats and your empty for 10 min or so because it will cause you to make more so you'll have extra eventually. I bought a single pump and wish I had gotten a double to save time.

Happycat - happy for you! My son's hb was up in the 170s - 150s throughout most of the pregnancy.
First goal: 250 6/24/14
Second goal: 244.6 7/23/14
Third goal: 200
Old 02-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycat21 View Post
Yeahhh!!! I just got back from the RE's office and the ultrasound showed everything looked great.
I knew it would be fine! Glad you got that quick confirmation that things are going well And I hope the nausea eases up for you. I know what you mean about not wanting to take meds - I had a bacterial infection in my firsttrimester and had to take an antibiotic, and it worried me. I've not taken so much as a single Tylenol throughout the rest of my pregnancy - just supplements and probiotics. But, we gotta do what we gotta do, and if you're not able to keep any food down, that's an issue! I was nauseous for a couple of weeks early on, and then it seemed to ease up on its own. I only ever actually threw up 3 times throughout my entire pregnancy, so I hope you nausea is as short-lived as mine was!
Quote:
When I was looking for a pediatrician, I asked my ob for recommendations. She said that most peds, in her experience, are good - you don't go into that line of work if you don't like kids. For me - it was about location of the office, their hours and accessibility (office is open 7 days though Sunday's are just for sick visits and available by phone whenever office is closed).
Yeah, I asked my OB, and she only had recommendations in Fairfax, which would be at least a 30-minute drive from our house (my OB's office is near my work, not near my home). Good point, though, that peds must like kids or else why be one! I think location and convenience will be a huge factor for us, but I also am hoping to find someone who is willing to work with us on possibly using an extended vaccination schedule (we're not skipping vaccs, but maybe not wanting to get 10 at a time) and someone who doesn't jump to certain medications as an first reaction instead of trying anything else first. When I was a kid, I became resistant to penicillin and amoxicillin because I was on them so frequently. Maybe it couldn't have been helped, but I can't help but wonder if maybe I was given meds too quickly or too often in cases that perhaps could have been treated by other means. I feel like they would put me on antibiotics sort of as a precaution practically every time I went to the doctor! Probably part of why I'm so anti-meds now as an adult - I was not a particularly healthy kid.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lizzybme
Stats: 270/149.8/150,2011: 156/240/207/196.2 after baby
WOE: LC after baby year later
Start Date: 8/21/09, 11/6/2010 #100 lost, 149.8 3/3/2011
Had a quad screen done....
had a gender scan today.....

It's a boy!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #96
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I have had to take medication for nausea this entire pregnancy. I had to take anti biotics with Andrew. Oh, I also had to get an x-ray when I broke my wrist.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybme View Post
It's a boy!!!!!!
Congratulations!!

We had such a quick glance at the sex during the anatomy scan that I had them double check at my last ultrasound. Sure enough, they saw testicles (but not his penis because his HAND WAS OVER IT - typical guy :P ).
Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Congratulations!!

We had such a quick glance at the sex during the anatomy scan that I had them double check at my last ultrasound. Sure enough, they saw testicles (but not his penis because his HAND WAS OVER IT - typical guy :P ).
Old 02-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #99
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybme View Post
Had a quad screen done....
had a gender scan today.....

It's a boy!!!!!!
Yay for little boys!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Little boys are awesome!! Congrats!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ghislaine
Stats: 197.5/184/128-138
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1/2/12
Quote:
Yeah, I asked my OB, and she only had recommendations in Fairfax, which would be at least a 30-minute drive from our house (my OB's office is near my work, not near my home). Good point, though, that peds must like kids or else why be one! I think location and convenience will be a huge factor for us, but I also am hoping to find someone who is willing to work with us on possibly using an extended vaccination schedule (we're not skipping vaccs, but maybe not wanting to get 10 at a time) and someone who doesn't jump to certain medications as an first reaction instead of trying anything else first. When I was a kid, I became resistant to penicillin and amoxicillin because I was on them so frequently. Maybe it couldn't have been helped, but I can't help but wonder if maybe I was given meds too quickly or too often in cases that perhaps could have been treated by other means. I feel like they would put me on antibiotics sort of as a precaution practically every time I went to the doctor! Probably part of why I'm so anti-meds now as an adult - I was not a particularly healthy kid.
I looked through the local board on the Mothering website to find recommendations for peds in my area who'd be delayed vax friendly and knew how to deal properly with an uncircumcised boy. I interviewed the two recommended there and the ped that was closest to our house. Those meetings quickly narrowed down our selection to one family practice!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Start Date: A long time ago
Lizzy- congratulations on the buy!

Sharon- So happy to hear everything's ok. That's nice you got to hear the heartbeat too. Yay!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #103
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycat21 View Post
Yeahhh!!! I just got back from the RE's office and the ultrasound showed everything looked great. We even heard the heart beat, 141 bpm. They did do a blood test and will let me know tomorrow, but everything looked good from the ultrasound. They said it is common for some women to have spotting, they were glad to hear it wasn't an awful lot of blood, they said that's when you really have to worry. I also got a prescription for Zofran becaues I've been having awful nausea and have thrown up a few times. He said I have to take it *before* I get nauseous though, it doesn't do much to treat it once you already have it. I hate taking more meds than I need, but if this nausea continues this severely, I will have to take it. I didn't have morning sickness hardly at all with Brandon. Maybe a couple times, but it was mainly when I ate too much at a time, so I learned very quick not to do that.
So glad - great news! I didn't want to post this until you had some results, but I had a huge bleed at 12 weeks - subchorionic hematoma (bleed in the placenta). There was no "cause", it just happens sometimes. I thought I was have an MC for sure because of the amount but no - baby was fine. He's now 8 years old!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #104
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I have had to take medication for nausea this entire pregnancy. I had to take anti biotics with Andrew. Oh, I also had to get an x-ray when I broke my wrist.
Hope you're doing ok with everything. I know it's a tough time.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #105
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all - 12 week well baby check up - my little one is 14 lbs and 24.5 in. Doc was pleased with everything. He said to hold off on changing any feeding conditions since we are doing well as is.

So at least one more month of not really sleeping through the night.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #106
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
i had my bloodwork results and my hcg levels were great but looks like i am slightly anemic. still fumbling with this little upper resp. congestion but haven't taken any meds for a couple days, hoping it'll eventually go away on its own. my fbg's were in the low 90's for the past few days so i feel much better about that.

question - what kind of prenatals are you taking? i need to change mine up.

lizzy, yay for baby boy! i took a quick glance at your links and saw the cupcakes with pink frosting and the pineapple with the cherry on top - so pretty!

sharon, i'm so glad everything is ok! i was so nervous for you!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

My PN Vit were making me sick and causing the constipation to be SOOO BAD that I now take a childrens chewable. Still has enough of the good stuff not not so much iron. But I don't have a problem with anemia.....

Listened to the baby this morning with my doppler. He was up moving I felt it a few times.

My dad is giving me names......He latest was Johnny Cash ....
Old 02-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Well, it's not even 10am, and I've already gone to Walmart and a grocery store this morning and am now waiting for my parents to arrive for the weekend. Our home inspection is at 3pm, so hopefully Jeff can get his homework done for his classes before then so we'll be able to do whatever we want tomorrow.
Quote:
I guess, as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! But that's a long time for around-the-clock feedings. I feel like we're going to be complete zombies when I have to go back to work at just 6 weeks post-partum because we'll still have to be getting up every 3 hours overnight. Yuck. I foresee more working from home in my future...
Quote:
question - what kind of prenatals are you taking? i need to change mine up.
I don't bother with a prenatal. I take TwinLab brand multivitamin capsules. I did a little research on the differences between regular multivitamins and prenatals, and the general consensus was that prenatals tend to have more folic acid, calcium, and iron. Well, I compared my multi to a prenatal, and mine had MORE folic acid than the prenatal, so no go on the front. And including both calcium and iron in a prenatal is stupid because the body can't actually absorb both at the same time (they are absorbed by the same receptors, and calcium will always win), so it's no wonder so many women battle anemia even though there is iron in the prenatals. I take extra calcium and iron spearately (at different times), so I saw no need for a specific prenatal. I did add a DHA supplement, though, which I just get at Walmart because they sell an "algal" form (from algae instead of from fish oil) that is supposedly better absorbed by the body.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #109
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
Quote:
And including both calcium and iron in a prenatal is stupid because the body can't actually absorb both at the same time (they are absorbed by the same receptors, and calcium will always win), so it's no wonder so many women battle anemia even though there is iron in the prenatals.
thanks for your information. right now i'm taking 2 generic PNs a day, it's a cheap brand but goes down easily. my chiro keeps pushing me to take a whole foods vitamin but the last time i took them i about gagged each time, it smelled horrible and was a huge horse pill, and the RDA was 4 a day! ack! I'm assuming the slow-fe pills would be a decent supplement in the meantime.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #110
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hi all - 12 week well baby check up - my little one is 14 lbs and 24.5 in. Doc was pleased with everything. He said to hold off on changing any feeding conditions since we are doing well as is.

Ugh. It's just the hardest right at 3-4 months when you've been up *every* night. Hang in there - it' gets better.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ghislaine
Stats: 197.5/184/128-138
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1/2/12
Quote:
thanks for your information. right now i'm taking 2 generic PNs a day, it's a cheap brand but goes down easily. my chiro keeps pushing me to take a whole foods vitamin but the last time i took them i about gagged each time, it smelled horrible and was a huge horse pill, and the RDA was 4 a day! ack! I'm assuming the slow-fe pills would be a decent supplement in the meantime.
I wonder if Rainbow Light Prenatal One which is food based would be an option. I only have to take one a day though my doctor did say to start taking two a day when we actively start trying.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #112

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Hey all. I am hanging in there. We had a family celebration on Friday night for my son'd 9th birthday and today is his birthday party with his friends, so we are staying busy and that helps a lot.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Suzanne....I am so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you are able to carry on with Andrew's birthday celebrations. Please take care of yourself and that little baby.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

The home inspection went pretty well, so we are really going forward with the move! The major things are all in good shape - HVAC system is only 6 years old, all kitchen and bath fixtures are brand new, termite inspection came back clean, circuits are wired properly, the roof is in very good shape...the biggest (most expensive) issue is that the windows are older and should be replaced, which I said when we first looked at the house, but what was more unexpected is that many of the windows don't even latch/lock! Luckily, the ones that DO lock properly are in the master bedroom and one of the small bedrooms, so that made it an easy decision as to which bedroom to use as the nursery! We won't be able to afford to replace all the windows anytime very soon (13 windows total at a few hundred bucks a pop...), but they are a design with two vertical panels that slide open (kind of like a sliding glass door), so we can at least put a rod in the track of the broken ones so they can't be opened from the outside. Other than that, just a few minor issues that we're going to go back to the seller requesting fixes for, and, honestly, if he doesn't do them, they're simple enough things that my dad can handle most of them

Now to start packing! I did multiple loads of laundry over the weekend, so all the crib sheets, baby clothes, baby towels/washcloths, pack n' play sheets, blankets, changing pad covers, etc., are all washed and ready for use (err, ready to be packed up for the move and THEN used!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
Hey all. I am hanging in there. We had a family celebration on Friday night for my son'd 9th birthday and today is his birthday party with his friends, so we are staying busy and that helps a lot.
I got nothing but for you!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #115
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Jill - on the house and inspection. As I sit here by the window in my LR, I know that we will need to replace them someday. I can feel the cold air just flowing in! I have thick black out curtains to help block the draft but it also blocks the sun - which is good/bad.

Went to the endocrinologist today - Need to have my thyroid levels adjusted again now that I am post partum. Should be a simple reduction and yay for a bunch of samples so I don't have to pay for a full prescription until we are sure of the dosage. I have bottles of different levels from when my levels were bouncing all over the place.

So for some reason my little one had decided yesterday that he was hungry almost hourly - hour & 1/2. Made for a long day. He wasn't quite as demanding today. We've been to the doctor twice in the past month for conjunctivitis and now it seems it is back again - sigh. I'm wondering if it is viral or if he has the blocked/underdeveloped tear duct. Guess I will call the doctor tomorrow - we were just there on Friday.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
We've been to the doctor twice in the past month for conjunctivitis and now it seems it is back again - sigh. I'm wondering if it is viral or if he has the blocked/underdeveloped tear duct. Guess I will call the doctor tomorrow - we were just there on Friday.
Aww, I hope you get it figured out soon. You feel so helpless when they're so little and sick!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Hope everyone is doing okay! Got quiet around here...
Old 03-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi! I'm still here! Still having some "morning" sickness (at night time though!) Monday we go four our next ultrasound. I guess I am 8 weeks and a couple days along right now. So, nothing too exciting to report!

My baby boy is starting to wake up in the middle of the night again, usually his diaper is super duper wet and he just HATES that. They don't seem to make Size 2 overnight diapers though, they seem to wait until size 3 to sell them. We may try to start him on solids this weekend because I think he is waking up because he is hungrier too. He already gets 6-6 oz bottles of milk each day, but lately has been taking in an extra one. Maybe he's going through a growth spurt? But I hate this waking up in the middle of the night things...he was sleeping through the night at 8 weeks, but now at 4 months he is regressing a bit. I am tired! It's so hard to get up with them and then go work your full time job the next day.

Last edited by Happycat21; 03-02-2012 at 10:41 AM..
Old 03-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, have been thinking about Blondie Baby, haven't heard from her lately. Hope everything is okay!?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my gosh, Jillybean....it just hit me, you are due in less than a month!!! How are you feeling? Nervous? Excited? Do you have a birth plan?
Closed Thread