Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Hey Portia and Gab! Waving to you from across the LI Sound! I am in Fairfield County, CT.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Paleogirl
WOE: Paleo/LC
Start Date: 2011
I guess the one comforting fact I have is that although I've been indulging I've managed to keep it between 100-150g of carbs a day, which I still think isn't awful for a pregnant lady right?

Sweets make me awfully sick unless it's a donut lol. I do fine with sweet bready things as long as they aren't overtly sweet. But ice cream, milkshakes, cheesecake....I feel so very sick afterwards.

I think the grain cravings are coming in because I'm craving salt, and most very salty items are processed grain junk foods.

I did eat my first steak only meal in a long time the other night. I managed about half the steak before feeling ill, which I think is pretty good. Baby steps, right?

I too am worried about GD because I don't want to get tested for it. However, I do monitor my blood sugar weekly and keep track of about how many carbs a day I'm eating, so I don't think it will be a problem as long as I stay on track.

I just wish I knew what this baby's plan was with all of these bizarre cravings lol.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #63
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gab
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 6, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycat21 View Post
Hey Portia and Gab! Waving to you from across the LI Sound! I am in Fairfield County, CT.
I have to jump up and down to wave back since I'm on the south shore lol

Sometimes cravings aren't necessarily physical...I know my mood is a big influence on mine.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ghislaine
Stats: 197.5/184/128-138
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1/2/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleogirl View Post

I too am worried about GD because I don't want to get tested for it. However, I do monitor my blood sugar weekly and keep track of about how many carbs a day I'm eating, so I don't think it will be a problem as long as I stay on track.

I just wish I knew what this baby's plan was with all of these bizarre cravings lol.
I opted out of the test. Depending on your doctor/midwife, they might not like it, but it's your decision. Considering that you are monitoring your blood sugar and keeping track of carbs, things probably wouldn't get out of hand anyway.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghislaine View Post
I opted out of the test. Depending on your doctor/midwife, they might not like it, but it's your decision. Considering that you are monitoring your blood sugar and keeping track of carbs, things probably wouldn't get out of hand anyway.
Yes, I did my last pregnancy too and plan to for this one. I will just check my blood sugar first thing in the morning and an hour after each meal. I was able to control my after meal sugars just fine with diet alone, but the fasting one crept up to between 95-100 (they want pregnant women to be below 90). So, I got put a tiny dose of glyburide at night before I went to bed. The fasting number was the hardest to control with diet alone for me.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:48 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blondie Baby
Stats: 213/126/130
WOE: JUDDD with LC
I posted a long post this morning and it got lost! The transfer went well. Minimal bleeding and slight discomfort. I got to watch the whole thing on the ultrasound screen and they even gave me a picture for picture. The clinic called in the evening to say all my bloodwork came back good so continue with the meds and come in Sunday for a bloodtest.

Thanks to all of you for your prayers and support! Lets just pray I get a good answer Sunday!

Sorry - no personals but time to go home and just realized the other post was gone. Tomorrow, insha'allah!

<<<<<Me
Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Paleogirl
WOE: Paleo/LC
Start Date: 2011
So far my fasting blood sugar has been between 69 and 90 since the start of my pregnancy. So I'm doing okay I think.

I'm attempting to get back on track today. I honestly think the reason I binged the last few weeks is because I had a debilitating digestive disorder before I got pregnant that limited my food choices severely. However, after getting pregnant it went away (thanks baby!), so I was able to eat things I hadn't been able to even think about in months . I hope now I've got it out of my system lol.

My doctor is pro low carb, so I doubt he'll have a problem with me opting out of it. *crosses fingers*
Old 02-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #68
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I just told the doctor that I could not drink the drink for the test, I said it makes me throw up. She could have cared less. There is not way after all my struggles to stay on plan that I am blowing it on that sugar drink!
I had some steak this morning, totally gross. I think the dog got more than me. I really hope that I enjoy meat after this baby! It has been a really hard 31 weeks! If I am having a really rough day, I let myself have a small sweet potato.
I have to avoid dairy right now cause I am getting over a cold and it makes me all congested.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
My baby's movements seem to have increased in the last couple of days (or else I'm just feeling it more because I'm working from home, so less distracted). Or maybe he just has less room, so the movements are more noticable. Who knows...

I had a dentist appointment (just a regular cleaning) scheduled for early March, but I cancelled it yesterday. My gums bleed like crazy every time I brush my teeth even though I brush EVERY day. Drives me crazy! I know it's relatively common during pregnancy, but it still annoys me, and I just don't wnt to go in for a cleaning and end up with a mouthful of blood. I'll reschedule for a couple months after baby is born. However, when I called to cancel the appointment, the recpetionist initially said the wrong date and then corrected herself because that was an appointent for my husband. I need to talk to him because his appointment is scheduled ON my due date! I'll ask him to push that off by a week or two...

Blondie - glad to hear it went well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghislaine View Post
I opted out of the usual diabetes testing as well. I was actually diagnosed with type 2 diabetes before my weight loss surgery, so I assume my 1-hour post-prandial would be high anyway. I just test my own levels at home, and my fastings are usually in the 70s. I haven't been able to test many 2-hour post-prandials because, well, I don't often go 2 hours without eating something! I did do a somewhat controlled test in that I drank a store-bought smoothie with 60g carbs (including HFCS), 3g fat, and 9g protein, and tested my 2-hour, and I was at 82, so I think I'm doing okay
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #70
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
blondie, good luck and thinking good baby thoughts for sunday's test!

i had my nurse practitioner apt yesterday, she stressed testing my FBG and post prandials, so looks like i need to brush up on my testings. i have an U/S in 10 days to check the dates since my cycles are so off, that should put me at about 7 wks. as she was making my next 5 appointments i couldn't help but think - oooh i hope i get to make it to all of them!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie Baby View Post
Lets just pray I get a good answer Sunday!
I'm so glad it went well....! Do you have to stay off your feet until Sunday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleogirl View Post
So far my fasting blood sugar has been between 69 and 90 since the start of my pregnancy. So I'm doing okay I think.
Yes, that sounds perfect! How far along are you now? My fasting bs was controlled with a tiny dose of glyburide, but they had to up the dose a tad towards the end of the pregnancy becaue my sugar kept creeping up again. It didn't matter what I ate or didn't eat before bed, I needed the help of that medication. It was so frustrating, because I really wanted to control it with diet and exercise but my doctors said that since I was already considered pre-diabetic, that would be the hardest number for me to control on my own. I hated testing every morning wondering what the number would be....it reminded me of when I used to weigh myself each morning too. If the number was too high, I would have a crappy day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I had a dentist appointment (just a regular cleaning) scheduled for early March, but I cancelled it yesterday. My gums bleed like crazy every time I brush my teeth even though I brush EVERY day. Drives me crazy! I know it's relatively common during pregnancy, but it still annoys me, and I just don't wnt to go in for a cleaning and end up with a mouthful of blood.
Ah, yes, I remember how sensitive my teeth and gums became. In fact, my front tooth chipped while I was early on in my preganncy. It looked ridiculous! Luckily my dentist saw me right away to fix it. I was surprised to hear from my OB that it would be okay to get x-rays if I needed too, they just had to double cover my belly. I didn't need the x-rays thankfully, and the dentist put some kind of bond on my tooth which held up through the rest of the pregnancy (and still is now). She said that it is very common for things like that to happen in pregnancy due to hormonal changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQT View Post
i had my nurse practitioner apt yesterday, she stressed testing my FBG and post prandials, so looks like i need to brush up on my testings. i have an U/S in 10 days to check the dates since my cycles are so off, that should put me at about 7 wks. as she was making my next 5 appointments i couldn't help but think - oooh i hope i get to make it to all of them!
I hope you get to make it to all of them too!! I am 7 weeks too! Did they give you a due date yet?

Our baby boys that we waited so long for. They are 359 days apart!

Sharon
Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, why am I craving orange juice like it's going out of style???!! I know it's one of the worst things I can drink due to all the sugar, but I am downing this stuff like crazy. It all started on Monday when we went to Costco and they had this sample table of Tropicana orange juice. I kept sending DH back to get me another "shot" of oj! I must be deficient in Vitamin C maybe. With my last pregnancy, I remember having a lot of oj during the first trimester until they told me to start checking my blood sugars.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lizzybme
Stats: 270/149.8/150,2011: 156/240/207/196.2 after baby
WOE: LC after baby year later
Start Date: 8/21/09, 11/6/2010 #100 lost, 149.8 3/3/2011
Well I ate so bad yesterday!!
I had waffles for breakfast.
mushroom raviolis forlunch at Olive Garden
Fetticini alfredo and honey wheat bread from Outback
Then ice cream after.....
Had night mares last night.....wonder if its related???

My morning BG levels are usually between 65 and 84 since this all started.
76 this morning.

Quad screen test results tomorrow
Old 02-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #74
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Very happy with the way Cassandra is growing. Here she is at 5 and a half months. (See below.)

I am amazed at how well my way of eating and my training is going. With improved eating, my shape is slenderizing! I can fit into a size 6 (regular womens) and a size 7 juniors.

Eating really is 100% and my training is simply a bonus!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cassandra at 5 and a half months..jpg (48.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #75
gab
Major LCF Poster!

So what did you do to help your little ones sleep the night through? Or did you just wait til they were just ready themselves? In the past 12 weeks we had just two nights of only waking once for a change in diaper in a 6 -7 hour period. Otherwise we are up every two and a half to three hours for a nursing.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB View Post
Very happy with the way Cassandra is growing. Here she is at 5 and a half months. (See below.)

I am amazed at how well my way of eating and my training is going. With improved eating, my shape is slenderizing! I can fit into a size 6 (regular womens) and a size 7 juniors.

Eating really is 100% and my training is simply a bonus!
Hi LJB! If I remember correctly, you got pregnant around the same New England cold winter night I did!

Cassandra is beatiful, she is growing so fast!!

And congrats on getting down to a size 6, that is awesome!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gab View Post
So what did you do to help your little ones sleep the night through? Or did you just wait til they were just ready themselves? In the past 12 weeks we had just two nights of only waking once for a change in diaper in a 6 -7 hour period. Otherwise we are up every two and a half to three hours for a nursing.
Brandon just started having longer and longer stretches of night time sleep until he was doing about 6-7 hours at around 8 weeks. But we supplemented him with formula at nights because they said BM doesn't keep them as full. And I suffered with some pretty bad PPD, and the lack of sleep I was getting was not helping me (I was actually almost suicidal, it was such a scary dark place to be). So, it worked out to give him formula at night to help him sleep a bit longer at a time. Now (he just turned 4 months), he will sleep usually for at leat 8 hours, and on Sunday night he gave us 11.5 hours of blissful sleep which was awesome. He does fuss sometimes, but his bassinet is on DH's side of the bed and he will get up with him, and usually just reaches over and pats him gently and shushes him back to sleep. He also sleeps better on his tummy, which I know he shouldn't be sleeping like that, but he constantly rolls himself over to his side or tummy after we put him to sleep on his back. I called the pediatrician about this, and he said there was really nothing we can do short of staying awake all night to flip him back over (which Brandon would not have been happy about anyway!) He said just make sure he is on a flat, hard surface with nothing else in the crib and make sure the room is cool. I feel a bit better about it now too because his neck muscles seem a bit stronger and he can easily lift his head now.

Now, I am dreading when we need to put him in his own room. Technically, he should be in his crib by now anyway because the bassinet weight limit is 15 pounds and he is almost 16 pounds. THAT is going to be a struggle I am sure. Not looking forward to that.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #78
gab
Major LCF Poster!

I was thinking about asking the ped about supplementing wih formula at night - mine doesnt sleep long periods of time on his back - he does better in the car seat/stroller. I tried and tried to get him to take to the bassinet but getting just 45 min of sleep at a time for me just wasn't good for anyone. I think my son will be a tummy sleeper as well. If I put him on his mat for tummy time and he is even close to tired, he falls asleep. Lol

I'm glad you are doing better yourself! I never realized (how could I?) just how hard it is with such a little one and being in demand 24/7 literally.
First goal: 250 6/24/14
Second goal: 244.6 7/23/14
Third goal: 200
Old 02-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #79
LJB

Quote:
Hi LJB! If I remember correctly, you got pregnant around the same New England cold winter night I did!

Cassandra is beatiful, she is growing so fast!!

And congrats on getting down to a size 6, that is awesome!
Oh, yeah! Those cold January nights!

Thank you! Cassandra weighs about the same as my old tabby cat. She smiles, coos, and loves to chatter. We have a good time playing games like peek a boo and dancing baby.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Start Date: A long time ago
This thread is much busier now, I'm loving all the information! Welcome to the new ladies.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Alright, I have a major problem, and it's called HEMORRHOIDS. I've really had them pretty much all along, but just in the last couple days, they've become much more of a nuissance. They hurt and bleed a bit when I poop and wipe, and then they hurt and itch pretty much whenever I walk. I actually left my office early yesterday and am working from home today because walking around the office and sitting in my desk chair just was NOT working for me. I have some Prep H, but that just stings instead of soothes. I tried a bath and a shower, but, again, the water just makes them sting. While I was out running errands earlier, I grabbed a pack of wipes with witch hazel and aloe to try. I just don't know what else to do - it makes me never want to poop! And my bowel movements aren't difficult or strenuous or anything, just that wiping afterwards is literally such a pain. My next OB appointment is next week, but if this keeps up, I may need to see if I can get in earlier if there is ANYTHING they can offer for relief. I can't just sit on my couch for the next 5 weeks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KQT View Post
i have an U/S in 10 days to check the dates since my cycles are so off, that should put me at about 7 wks.
My cycles were off, too. When I went in for my first ultrasound, I was only about 8 weeks along, but according to my last period, I should have been about 10.5 weeks along. I lost 2.5 weeks :P Now, whenever a medical professional asks me my LMP, I tell them, but I also emphasize that that will NOT provide an accurate due date.
Quote:
Okay, why am I craving orange juice like it's going out of style???!! I know it's one of the worst things I can drink due to all the sugar, but I am downing this stuff like crazy. It all started on Monday when we went to Costco and they had this sample table of Tropicana orange juice. I kept sending DH back to get me another "shot" of oj! I must be deficient in Vitamin C maybe. With my last pregnancy, I remember having a lot of oj during the first trimester until they told me to start checking my blood sugars.
I don't keep oj in my house because, well, I would drink it all! But I was out at Target today and did buy a little single serving size bottle of Trop50, the kind with stevia so it only has half the sugar. I was excited to find it in the little individual bottles so I could indulge without buying a whole jug to keep in my fridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB View Post
ha, I have NEVER been a size 6 in my entire adult life! What size were you pre-pregnancy?
Old 02-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #82
LJB

I was mostly between sizes 9 and 11. I gained weight after I got married. My husband and I went out to eat a lot. Before I met him I was a size 4.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Alright, I have a major problem, and it's called HEMORRHOIDS. I've really had them pretty much all along, but just in the last couple days, they've become much more of a nuissance. They hurt and bleed a bit when I poop and wipe, and then they hurt and itch pretty much whenever I walk. I actually left my office early yesterday and am working from home today because walking around the office and sitting in my desk chair just was NOT working for me. I have some Prep H, but that just stings instead of soothes. I tried a bath and a shower, but, again, the water just makes them sting. While I was out running errands earlier, I grabbed a pack of wipes with witch hazel and aloe to try. I just don't know what else to do - it makes me never want to poop! And my bowel movements aren't difficult or strenuous or anything, just that wiping afterwards is literally such a pain. My next OB appointment is next week, but if this keeps up, I may need to see if I can get in earlier if there is ANYTHING they can offer for relief. I can't just sit on my couch for the next 5 weeks!
Ugh, I'm so sorry!! I didn't have a problem with them until after I delivered my little guy. And they check you for that in the hospital when you are recovering. Make sure you take the stool softener they (should) offer you! Let me repeat that, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE STOOL SOFTENER!
They gave me witch hazel pads (which I think are just generic Tucks?) in the hospital which helped soothe me. They also had special ice pads you could put in the mesh underwear they give you too.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh no, I just went to the bathroom and noticed that I have some very light blood on my pad (I've been wearing one since I gave birth 4 months ago....and I just never stopped even though I probably didn't need to anymore). I'm 7 weeks today, so I am so nervous about this. I had no spotting or bleeding with Brandon until I went into labor, not even implantation bleeding.

I will call the doctor in the morning, I'm not sure what else I can do right now. It's very light, but it definitely was blood. I'm going to lay down now....DH wants me off my feet.
that this is nothing....but I am so scared right now.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #85
KQT

Oh no! Fingers crossed and praying for you! Try not to freak yourself out, hubby is right, just take it easy, go lie down for awhile. The doc will try to get you in asap. Let us know!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blondie Baby
Stats: 213/126/130
WOE: JUDDD with LC
Happycat - all is well. Try to relax and not freak out!

Jilly on the hemorrhoids! Hope you find something that helps.

I have read that upping your fat intake will help baby sleep better. I think I would try that before supplementing with formula.

DH keeps asking me if I FEEL pregnant! Just praying for a positive result Sunday! I'm not on bedrest or anything. Working, but I work at a desk so no big deal. Dr. did say absolutely NO working out! I hate being so inactive, but its for a good cause.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:18 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

I'm working from home again today and emailed my (male) boss that I was too physically uncomfortable to be in the office. If he really wants more details, I will share, but I don't think he really wants to know :P

The down side of working from home is not getting OUT. I ran a few errands yesterday afternoon and went to dinner with my husband last night, but he has class after work today so won't be home until about 10pm, and I got my errands done yesterday, so...maybe I'll take my dogs out for a walk later if it's nice enough. We don't usually walk them, just let them out in our fenced back yard, so it would be an adventure for them!
Quote:
Oh no, I just went to the bathroom and noticed that I have some very light blood on my pad...
I spotted multiple times in my first trimester. It didn't mean anything - everything was fine. I was actually spotting before I even knew I was pregnant, and I was getting so mad that my period wouldn't just happen so I could start tracking my cycles for TTC! Little did I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie Baby View Post
DH keeps asking me if I FEEL pregnant!
ha, I only "felt" pregnant for about a week or two - sore breasts, food aversions, changes in tastes - all around 7-9 weeks along. After that, my symptoms went away, and I actually complained a lot that I knew I was pregnant because I'd seen it in the ultrasound, but I didn't FEEL anything. It was actually quite frustrating.
Quote:
Make sure you take the stool softener they (should) offer you! Let me repeat that, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE STOOL SOFTENER!
lol, yes, ma'am! I would take some now, even, but I don't think they would help since I'm not constipated or having difficult bowel movements - the issue is actually more with wiping, which would be even more of a mess if my stools were, umm, very soft
Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #88
KQT

jilly, sorry about your bum! i hope you get some relief soon! when do you move? this cycle i didn't Ov until day 18 so i have a feeling i'm not as far along as the nurses chart would put me at. she based on a 28 day cycle, which i have never seen. 29, 32, 35, 33, 39, i'm all over the place.

my FBG was horrible, 107. i need to get back to the gym but i can't shake this cold/infection thing i picked up last week and don't want to push it and make myself more sick. my goal is to get on the treadmill tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I called my RE and they want me to come in for blood work and an ultrasound this afternoon. I haven't noticed any more blood since late last night, so I'm hoping nothing is wrong. I still feel nauseous, so hopefully still having morning sickness is a good sign. Will update you guys later.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #90
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Happycat - I had an episode of random spotting during my 9th week. They had me come in for an ultrasound and everything turned out to be fine. I hope you have the same results.

I have a headache this morning - too much sleep I think DH took a feeding last night and my little one had two long periods of sleep - 11:30 - 4 and 5 - 8:30. So that meant I got to sleep the night through.

I think I might finally start to be able to stockpile some BM for the future It's stressful trying to make enough for a bottle in the same day as I need it.
Closed Thread