Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #601
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I love posting pictures! Here is one of me feeding some formula to Cassandra.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #602
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Cassandra is so cute!! How old is she now? I think she's a couple months older than my Brandon if I remember correctly
Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #603
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gab
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 6, 2013
Well baby check up today. All is well and milestones all met . We can go ahead and start fruit and veggies. Sam has been very vocal today
Old 05-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #604
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Anybody make their own baby food before? How did you store it?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #605

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gab View Post
Anybody make their own baby food before? How did you store it?
I did! I made it in ice cube trays. Once the food was frozen I popped them out, put the cubes in freezer bags and labeled them. When it was time to eat I just defrosted in the microwave. It was great! As my son got older I was able to mix the cubes up and try new variations. I'll be making my own again.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #606

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I just feed regular foods, avocado, eggs, anything lc and natural. I try to avoid fruit.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #607

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I just feed regular foods, avocado, eggs, anything lc and natural. I try to avoid fruit.
I did this too with foods that could easily be mashed. Things like green beans, squash, broccoli, etc... I made and froze. I didn't serve fruits until 10 months I think?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #608
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well, I guess we're lazy in my house....Brandon gets Earth's Best jarred foods. We do give him fruits, but not all the time. Mainly prunes and pears to "get him going". I prefer to give him real prunes as opposed to prune juice. His first food was sweet potatoes and he LOVES, LOVES, LOVES peas!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #609
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks .

I don't think I will keep him lc for now - eventually though we will go heavier on the veggies.

I was looking at one of the pre-packaged organic foods and they had tuna oil mixed in with it along with a list of 10 things. What? Why? The non-organic had just the main food and salt listed. so for now I went with that.

KQT and Dp. - how are you both feeling?
Happycat - I figure I will try to make my own for now. But once I start working...well, we will see. Plus I have a weekend trip coming up where I won't have access to refrigeration so I am sure I will just bring the pre-packaged that neednt be cold stored.
First goal: 250 6/24/14
Second goal: 244.6 7/23/14
Third goal: 200
Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #610

You are not lazy happy! For me it was easy and convienant, and a LOT cheaper. I don't do organic at all really. Plus, I wanted my son to get a wider variety than what they provide in the jars. I used jars when we traveled or where out and about.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #611
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
I plan to make my own baby food as much as possible. I don't understand why so many people start with rice cereal - we'll be skipping that. I will hold off on sweet fruits for a while and preferably start with things like avocado, green beans, baby brussels sprouts...things we normally eat anyway. How long are you supposed to wait for meats? I want to be able to give him things like chicken (in tiny pieces, like shredded) - not just dry pieces for him to choke on, but maybe mixed in with some mashed veggies. Or scrambled eggs. I think you're supposed to hold off on cow's milk until about 12 months, but what about things like cheese or yogurt? I'm so clueless :P

Oh, and my MIL already bought us a few jars of baby food and a box of rice cereal. I'll hold on to the food for when we are visitng family and such, but the rice cereal will likely find its way to the trash can before my baby's mouth!
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #612

Andrew ate meat right away, he loved it! It depends o the baby and their gag reflex.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #613

I was told meat can wait until they are a year old. I started Kyle on it at about 10-11 months I think

The suggest starting with the cereals because it is easiest for them to digest. Fruits and veggies have a lot of fibre and can be harsh on baby bellies when they aren't used to "solid" foods. I never did rice cereal with my son though, we did oats, rye, and barely.

No egg whitess until they are 12 months.

Yogurt and other dairy at 6 months.

Last edited by DisneyPrincess; 05-23-2012 at 09:59 AM..
Old 05-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #614
Senior LCF Member

Pregnant mommas, keep your vit D in check!

"...vitamin D deficiency was linked to a 2-fold increased risk of cesarean for prolonged labor..."

Maternal vitamin d status and delivery by cesarean. [Nutrients. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
Old 05-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #615

Gallery: pocahontas
DS didnt like anything pureed. I made him a bunch of stuff but he wouldnt eat it. We just started him on finger foods at 5.5 - 6 mo and he has been feeding himself ever since. He still doesnt like mashed potatoes or anything whipped/pureed but he has no problem with yogurt!

I have a bunch of cheap HPT's and took one this morning and 9DPO and it was a BFN. I will probably test again in a couple days because I am crazy.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #616
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We never gave him rice cereal, I never saw the point. He has had oatmeal a few times, but he doesn't really seem to get too excited about it. He'll eat it (he hasn't turned down ANY solid food yet!) but he doesn't shreek with glee like he does with the sweet potatoes and peas, The pediatrician said at his 6 month appointment that we can start giving him any food now except for honey which has to wait until after the first year. She said to just introduce it slowly, one food at a time. Give it to him for 3 days to make sure there is no reaction. As far as eggs go, she said to start with just the yolk and then add the whites in after 3 days to make sure there is no reaction.

I saw that stuff with the tuna oil, it kind of skeeved me out. I think it was Gerber organic, and I think the purpose of it being in there was for extra DHA. We add powdered DHA to his formula now (Nature's One) so I really don't think he needs the extra. I like the Earth's Best because the ingredients are just the veggie or fruit. That's it. His main source of food is still the formula now since the solids really don't have that much nutritional value. The doctor said to keep giving him formula as his main source of nutrition until he is at least 1 year old.

Our baby boys that we waited so long for. They are 359 days apart!

Sharon

Last edited by Happycat21; 05-23-2012 at 01:22 PM..
Old 05-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #617
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

An update on our little guy (in my belly! ) He really is a mover and a shaker! I am just over 20 weeks along and he is really making his presence known.....constantly bopping around. I can't remember when I first started feeling his big brother move. My placenta is also anterior this time (in the back where as with Brandon it was posterior---the ultrasound technician said I will definitely feel this guy a lot more than Brandon since the "cushioning" isn't there in the front). It feels like he is beating really fast on drums in there, !
Old 05-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #618

I would never give cereal or fruit to start. I know a few moms who have fed their babies zero carb, just meat. Back in cave man days they hunted and babies survived, I am guessing they went from breastmilk to meat. Not a lot of banana trees in Quebec! So, if humans survived thousands of years that way, I can too with my family.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #619
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lizzybme
Stats: 270/149.8/150,2011: 156/240/207/196.2 after baby
WOE: LC after baby year later
Start Date: 8/21/09, 11/6/2010 #100 lost, 149.8 3/3/2011
Good morning all!
I got my computer fixed and now the catch-up begins!!

I am up 4 pounds in 2 days. My hands are swollen. Joints hurt to type.
I was having heart problems all day yesterday and dizzy spells when up walking last night.
I need to really push the water and stop eating crap.

I have had 2 atkins shakes for breakfast this morning. Filling my tummy so far.
I have a Cardi Dr appt today. I will be surprised if I don't come home with a 24 hour monitor on.

29 weeks today!!!
I had pre-E with both of my other pregs so I watching out for that as well.
I know that wheat is so bad for me just have to kick it. Have been off the wagon for 6 months now.
TIME FOR A CHANGE!!!!!!!

Cw 206 Gw 150
Avi is at goal weight. Got to get baby weight off.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #620
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Gl with the dr today lizzy. Just about ten weeks left for you

We were up 3x for night feeds last night but I actually feel rested maybe because he easily went back to the crib? Except once and that was a wet diaper, once changed he was out like a light.

We discovered of we lie him down on his right side, he stays asleep for hours but on his back - barely at all. Side sleeping = magic!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #621
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycat21 View Post
Cassandra is so cute!! How old is she now? I think she's a couple months older than my Brandon if I remember correctly
Thank you! She is 9 months old (technically speaking) as of today!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #622
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gab View Post
Except once and that was a wet diaper, once changed he was out like a light.

We discovered of we lie him down on his right side, he stays asleep for hours but on his back - barely at all. Side sleeping = magic!
Ben never cres if his diaper is wet or dirty. It's nice to have him not cry now, but I hope that characteristic doesn't last through his childhood or he'll be the smelly kid in class! :P

Does he stay on his side in the crib, or does he end up rolling to front or back? I've let Ben nap on his side in the Boppy lounger, but it sort of holds him due to the shape of the lounger so he doesn't roll. I'll get braver about letting him sleep other than on his back at night when he can roll himself over.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #623

James sleeps either on his side or on his back with his arms over his head. He looks too cute sleeping or stretching to wake up.
I took him for a walk today and used an umbrella to keep the sun off. Then we took a cool bath, which he loves.
He is always happy except in the car seat driving, then he flips out!
Old 05-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #624
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Brandon loves the car seat while driving, but can't stand to be in it if he's not in the car. Then I discovered the power of the binky, and he's much better in it now while he's waiting for me to finish getting ready for work before we leave to take him to daycare.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #625
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Does he stay on his side in the crib, or does he end up rolling to front or back? I've let Ben nap on his side in the Boppy lounger, but it sort of holds him due to the shape of the lounger so he doesn't roll. I'll get braver about letting him sleep other than on his back at night when he can roll himself over.
He eventually ends up on his back every time so far. He does push with his legs so he slides up his crib on his back and once in awhile turns like the hands on a clock. He hasn't rolled in the crib yet. He has only done it a few times on the floor so far and he doesn't stay on his belly. I have one of those floor gyms that dangle the toys overhead so he hasn't had the external motivation to really roll or crawl yet. I started today playing on the floor on a blanket only so that toys were just out of reach. He loves loves to be held in standing position. I will not be surprised if crawling is a short stage for him.

And just to keep me guessing, he just fell asleep lying on his back on the couch next to me without any tears or anything. Lol
Old 05-25-2012, 03:59 AM   #626

Good morning.

I hate waking up feling like I've never even slept!

Feeling 'fat' today. I hate this stage of pregnancy when I just look and feel fat and not pregnant!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #627
gab
Major LCF Poster!

9 out of 10 times the baby wakes a half hour before DH leaves for work...coincidence? My DH thinks so, it couldn't be because he has no sense of volume. I probably won't be laughing quite as much tomorrow and Sunday when DH works the 4 am shift.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:33 AM   #628
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
i swear my belly grew 3 inches out overnight. wow.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #629
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQT View Post
i swear my belly grew 3 inches out overnight. wow.
I was just thinking that myself too....and now my sciatica is giving me issues.

How far along are you now?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #630
Senior LCF Member

Took Ben to the pediatrician yesterday for his 2-month checkup. He is 23 inches and 12 pounds 1 ounce, which puts him in the 55th percentile for height and 61st percentile for weight, so he's pretty average and proportionate He got his 2-month vaccines, and they use combined shots, so he only had to get 2 actual needle sticks and the oral liquid rotavirus vaccine. He did fine with the oral and got bet red and cried hard for all of about two minutes from the shots and then was fine. He slept a lot throughout the day but still woke up to eat and seemed pleasant when he was awake (not crying, smiling, etc.). I stayed home with him all day to monitor for reactions, buit no signs of fever, diarrhea, vomiting, swelling...nothing. I am so thankful he's so easygoing! I'd had my thermometers and infant acetaminophen out on the counter since the night before in preparation and ended up not needing anything. He's back at daycare today. And despite how much he slept all dayyesterday, he still slept fine last night.

And thank goodness he slept so much because I've been battling a sore throat all week...keep popping Tylenol and all my vitamins (including zinc, vit C, and vit D) hoping it doesn't develop into an actual cold or anything.
Closed Thread