Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Gab--I meant to tell you how gorgeous your baby boy is! (I'm assuming that's him in your avatar!) He really looks just perfect.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: craec
Stats: 182/171/135 (5'3, HW 214)
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghislaine View Post
When I was an exchange student, my host mother was trying to get pregnant with a boy since there were already 3 girls. She followed a diet from a book that was supposed to change the pH down there to help the boy boys get to the egg first. It struck me later that it seemed to be fairly low carb though I think cheese products were excluded as well. I have no idea if the diet of the mother would really have that much influence but it seemed to work for her since she did end up pregnant with a boy! I've got a girl now so I wouldn't really mind if sticking to low carb while TTC nets me a boy this time around! I might even be willing to forgo cheese for a month or so!
LOL - I have one of each right now and while I know that technically I have no control over what we'll have next, I can't decide which I would like more. My little boy is adorable, but I have piles of little dresses boxed up waiting for another girl.

Thank you all for the info on low carb while pregnant, I know that the first few months will be rough with morning sickness. I want to have a plan so I don't fall back into old habits.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blondie Baby
Stats: 213/126/130
WOE: JUDDD with LC
Quote:
When I was an exchange student, my host mother was trying to get pregnant with a boy since there were already 3 girls. She followed a diet from a book that was supposed to change the pH down there to help the boy boys get to the egg first. It struck me later that it seemed to be fairly low carb though I think cheese products were excluded as well. I have no idea if the diet of the mother would really have that much influence but it seemed to work for her since she did end up pregnant with a boy! I've got a girl now so I wouldn't really mind if sticking to low carb while TTC nets me a boy this time around! I might even be willing to forgo cheese for a month or so!
I have never heard of that, but different cultures have different ideas. Where we you an exchange student?

Gab - I gotta agree, your little one is adorable, masha'allah!

2 more days until transfer!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ghislaine
Stats: 197.5/184/128-138
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1/2/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie Baby View Post
I have never heard of that, but different cultures have different ideas. Where we you an exchange student?

Gab - I gotta agree, your little one is adorable, masha'allah!

2 more days until transfer!
I was an exchange student in France. French is my first language though I lost it around 6-7 years old due to lack of use so I wanted to get my French back. An exchange seemed to be the best way to do it.

Good luck with your transfer!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:51 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
I have a baby shower today I'm excited not only because it should be lots of fun, but also because I want to be able to go out and shop for all the rest of the stuff on my registry that we need, and everyone kept telling me to wait until after the shower. It will be a "Skype" shower - we're meeting in MD at my husband's cousin's house for our local family, and then my aunt in CT (where I grew up) is hosting at her house for all of my CT family, and then we will Skype with our computers to see each other. Not sure how it's all going to work out, but should be interesting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycat21 View Post
I had my first ultrasound Thursday and the doctor said "I have nothing but good things to say" so that was good to hear.
Hurray! Isn't it nice to have a doctor verify that you're boringly normal :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by craec View Post
Those who have been pregnant on low-carb , how does that work? Do you need to increase your carbs?
I was likely in ketosis most of my my first trimester and into my second (I don't actually know because I never test for ketones - don't care if I'm in ketosis or not). I never intentionally increased my carbs - I've researched and researched and found NO good reason to do so. I found some fear mongering about how "dangerous" ketosis is, but not a single shred of actual evidence to support that claim. I'm now nearly 35 weeks along with a completely uneventful pregnancy and a healthy baby boy
Quote:
I'm in weight loss mode with the intention of getting pregnant once I drop another 15 pounds or so.
How exciting! I was not all the way down to my "goal" weight before I got pregnant, but then I ended up losing another 12 pounds in my first trimester. Since I was overweight to begin with, it was not a concern to my docs, and it helped to keep my overall weight gain to about 20 pounds so far compared to my pre-pregnancy weight.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 02-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #36
KQT
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
holy crap, 2 pink lines over here! i have a dr's appt on tuesday. i had just filled my Rx for clomid to start with the next cycle. talk about perfect timing.

jilly - enjoy your shower today! you're 35 weeks now, WOW!
ghislaine - i spent a semester in france, minored in the language in college. LOVED IT.

lots of new faces and stories in here, that makes me happy!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: craec
Stats: 182/171/135 (5'3, HW 214)
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Quote:
Originally Posted by KQT View Post
holy crap, 2 pink lines over here! i have a dr's appt on tuesday.
Congratulations!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lizzybme
Stats: 270/149.8/150,2011: 156/240/207/196.2 after baby
WOE: LC after baby year later
Start Date: 8/21/09, 11/6/2010 #100 lost, 149.8 3/3/2011
I HAVE to go back to low carb. I have gained too much and having problems with inflamation. I know its the wheat. Will you my low carb bread to keep sugar from dropping too low. Never had that problem before.

Had lab draw Friday, quad screen. Go back on Thursday for results.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ghislaine
Stats: 197.5/184/128-138
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1/2/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I have a baby shower today I'm excited not only because it should be lots of fun, but also because I want to be able to go out and shop for all the rest of the stuff on my registry that we need, and everyone kept telling me to wait until after the shower. It will be a "Skype" shower - we're meeting in MD at my husband's cousin's house for our local family, and then my aunt in CT (where I grew up) is hosting at her house for all of my CT family, and then we will Skype with our computers to see each other. Not sure how it's all going to work out, but should be interesting!
Have fun with it today! How neat that everyone is making an attempt to make it work in two places!

Quote:
How exciting! I was not all the way down to my "goal" weight before I got pregnant, but then I ended up losing another 12 pounds in my first trimester. Since I was overweight to begin with, it was not a concern to my docs, and it helped to keep my overall weight gain to about 20 pounds so far compared to my pre-pregnancy weight.
You are doing so well! I'll be low carbing through my next pregnancy for sure. I had borderline preeclampsia with my first pregnancy and was told to eat lots of protein so I figure that fits right in!

Quote:
holy crap, 2 pink lines over here! i have a dr's appt on tuesday. i had just filled my Rx for clomid to start with the next cycle. talk about perfect timing.

ghislaine - i spent a semester in france, minored in the language in college. LOVED IT.
Congratulations! We actually found out I was pregnant with my daughter while we were vacationing in France! Test de grossesse was definitely not a term I'd learned as a student! I majored in French in college, mostly as a way to be done within 4 years since I'd done a bit of major hopping. I pretty much speak exclusively in French with my daughter now.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
That's so neat! My assistant was telling me about a Skype baby shower they did for her cousin....mainly because she was suddenly put on bed rest and couldn't attend her own shower. But I guess it worked out okay, and at least they were still able to do it for her! Enjoy your shower....and enjoy the shopping afterwards too!

Quote:
Congratulations!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybme View Post
I HAVE to go back to low carb. I have gained too much and having problems with inflamation. I know its the wheat. Will you my low carb bread to keep sugar from dropping too low. Never had that problem before.

Had lab draw Friday, quad screen. Go back on Thursday for results.
I remember not having too much swelling of my legs and feet during my pregnancy, UNLESS I overdid the carbs and sugar. I had a mini binge episode with the cookies left over from my shower at work, and boy did I pay for that afterwards. My calves and ankles swelled up so bad, I couldn't stand it. But once I got the sugar out of my system, it went away and stayed away unless I 'messed' up again. Even after I had Brandon, I still had a problem with swelling if I ate too much sugar. It keeps me honest, I guess, because I couldn't believe how freaking uncomfortable it was to swell like that. I remember going out with my girlfriend for dinner while we were both in our third trimester. She was due a couple weeks ahead of me. She was always this tiny little thing, and she was so swollen, I couldn't believe it. Then I noticed what she ate for dinner, she ate a whole plate of pad thai chicken (lots of noodles and rice with it). I ate some kind of Thai steak with barely any carbs. The differences in our swelling was like night and day. Even her husband told me how I looked so much better than his wife which I thought was a bit rude of him (he waited until she went to the bathroom), but he was so concerned about her swelling up. I can't help but think that that if she didn't eat so many carbs, maybe she wouldn't have had the problem? Just my own n=1 experiment I guess.

Our baby boys that we waited so long for. They are 359 days apart!

Sharon
Old 02-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Mabrouk!!!!!!!

Ghislaine - Cool that you speak French to your DD! I thinks its so unfortunate that I only speak english. Even after 18 years in ABu Dhabi I struggle with Arabic. Al hamdu lillah, my kids are all fluent in Arabic and English. DH in fluent in both and also Swahili!

Jilly - How was the shower! That is a fantastic idea! We could do that to involve both DH and MY family!

Lizzy - Wheat does cause inflamation. If you absolutely have to have bread try buckwheat or rye and slice it very thin.

Happycat - yep, the carbs and sugar will do it! I never had a problem with swelling in previous pregnancies, but I did notice about year ago that my feet swell slightly when I sit at my desk all day - when I am not being careful with sugar and carbs! Maybe an age thing. But definitely will be on the look out for that - IF I get pregnant tomorrow!

<<<<<Me
Old 02-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday's baby shower went very well! We actually hooked up my sister's laptop to the hostesses living room tv, so the Skype was up on a big tv screen. Unfortunately, for some reason, the incoming video was not very clear, but they could see us just fine, so I guess that was more important. We could still hear each other as well, so that was fun At each house, we met at 1 for food and then started the Skype and did the gifts at 2.

Of course, most of the gifts were not from the registry, but there were more from the registry this time than at my "friends" shower a few weeks ago. I will still need to get the breast pump (though since I don't have one, I'm considering renting from the hospital to be sure it works out for us before I invest $200+ in my own). We certainly have plenty of clothes now to get us started, and even though we got a LOT of little outfits, we actually ended upw ith very few duplicates, which is awesome!

Today, I'm going to sort through my regustry for "necessity" items we still need to purchase so I can get on that - will probably purchase most online, butI did also get a $70 and a $25 gift card to Babies R Us, so I'll have to get something from there (usually don't bother since I can usually find thing cheaper on Amazon or diapers.com or whatever). Someone did give me BRU coupons with the gift card, though, so might work out

Oh, and Jeff's family pitched in to get us a new glider and ottoman, which was not on our registry, but is a good idea. I do have a glider, but it's a good 12 years old, has been a little chewed on by my dog, and my mom got paint on the cushions while she was helping to paint the crib, so a new one is definitely welcome! I just have to tell Jeff's cousin whether we want it delivered to our current house or the new house, which will depend on if we go to closing as scheduled...so much to coordinate, and so little time left!
Quote:
Congratulations!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybme View Post
I HAVE to go back to low carb. I have gained too much and having problems with inflamation. I know its the wheat.
I'm the sort who does best cold turkey, sort of all or nothing, but if you're the type who does better with sort of tapering off, maybe you could just start by cutting out grains or gluten? I've never gone through the "induction flu" myself when switching to low carb, but if you usually do, I'd hate to do so while pregnant, so maybe tapering could ease that a bit while still proving helpful.
Quote:
Jilly - How was the shower! That is a fantastic idea! We could do that to involve both DH and MY family!
It was great to be able to see some of my family in CT without having to make the 8-hour drive (heck, right now, my back hurts just driving to and from my office!).
Old 02-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: court613
Stats: -32
Start Date: baby boy born on 2/28/12!
ladies! It's been a while since I've posted! I've been checking in and have been so busy, I've just put off posting. I'm so glad to see so many new faces. I'll post more later when I have more time and can get to know the rest of you ladies, but just a few quick things...

KQT - HUGE congrats to you, mama! I know you've been trying a while and I'm so happy for you. Is your due date in October? I know you don't have an exact one until you see the doctor. I can't wait till your appointment tomorrow!! Again, I'm truly so happy for you

Jill - We are SO close to the finish line!!! Scary and so exciting. I'm so happy to read that your pregnancy has gone so great. Congratulations on the new house as well. So many changes but all good ones! Can't wait to catch up with you a bit more.

I'll post to everyone else a bit later when I have more time to read through everything. I'm glad to have so many mamas-to-be to get to know!

AFM - I'm 35 weeks now (32 days till due date. YIKES) and have had such a great pregnancy that I'm really sad about it coming to an end when this baby makes his appearance in about a month Of course I can't wait to meet this little person that I've dreamed about these past 9 months though. I'm so curious about what he looks like!! I'm still feeling pretty dang good although getting to that uncomfortable point. I'm only waking up once, maybe twice, at night so I'm still getting lots of good sleep. But getting out of bed is a NIGHTMARE and I dread it every time I wake up! It is hard and it hurts! Lots of moaning and groaning going on. DH thinks it is so funny, lol.

As of my last ob appointment last Friday, my blood pressure is high It was 140 over 90 at first then they rechecked me, and it was 130 over 90. That's pretty high for me. I didn't have any protein in my urine, thank goodness. But they did blood work to check for pre eclampsia just to be on the safe side. Dr. is pretty sure everything is fine, but I know blood pressure can become an issue VERY quickly at the end of a pregnancy. So I have my fingers crossed but will not be surprised if I'm put on bedrest pretty soon. I'm more concerned about the chance of induction now, which is completely against everything I want.

We had our growth ultrasound on Friday as well, and Bennett is a big boy!! I know these scans are wrong all the time, so I'm not putting much stock in it. He was estimated to weigh 6 pounds 2 ounces and in the 77th percentile. Still completely in the normal range, just a big boy and looking totally healthy. He has just a bit of hair (I was hoping for tons, lol).

I have lots more to say, as always, lol. But I have to get ready for work. Will check in later!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Paleogirl
WOE: Paleo/LC
Start Date: 2011
I am 9 weeks pregnant today, and I did great for the first two weeks of it (4-6wk). But then I started having a lot of carb cravings and broke. It seems like that's the only thing that appeals to me. It's so sad because I really wanted a low carb baby. Do the cravings go away after the 1st trimester? Thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Hi guys. I subscribed to this a while ago because I've been putting off posting. You all know how hard this is to post about!

I don't post about anything personal on LCF in general. But I need help and a plan, and I don't think it's reasonable to ask for help without first giving a little background.

I'm a part-time lawyer - I live in a little beach community in the NYC suburbs, married with two darling little boys, 5 and 8. We had been planning for 3-4 children, but around the time that our youngest was 2, DH became very ill. And the treatment for his disease made him even worse before he got better. Once he was better, he was so depressed he could barely function, whilst his company was unraveling (he works on Wall St.).

It took us 3 years to recover, physically and emotionally, but, thank g-d, he is now in great health. Maritally and financially, we're doing really great.

I'm now 40 and so overweight that my fertility has been compromised (according to the endo) and I am borderline diabetic. I have been so saddened and stressed by this that I haven't felt able to really start a concentrated plan to lose the weight. I have been trying to "watch portions" and exercise, but I struggle with cravings and nighttime eating.

The other day I vented to DH about my feelings and he was his usual loving and supportive self. He suggested coming on here and asking for suggestions and support. He wants the two of us to change our lifestyle and improve our health, and he reminded me that I don't have to get to goal weight to get pregnant, that even losing 30-40 lbs will probably do the trick, and that I can do that by summer. So, there's hope!

That's my whole sordid story, mamas. If any of you have been in a similar situation and have been helped by low carb or by anything else in particular, please share!

And of course congratulations to all the mamas-to-be.

Portia's Journal

Last edited by Portia; 02-20-2012 at 06:32 AM..
Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #46
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
Court, you're at 35 weeks too! wow! have the docs discussed putting you on bp meds? i have always been high and am currently on labetalol. my morning bp is 135/90 and then after the meds it drops to about 120/80. it sucks to have to be on it, i have been on bp/migraine meds for years - but it's heriditary and just best for me to be on it, especially now.

Jilly, your shower sounds like it was lots of fun! do you have a name picked out yet? i remember jiffy was the nickname.

portia, if you aren't planning on TTC just yet, i would ask your docs if they can put you on a D2 med. (wow i am a pharmaceutical pusher!) a few months ago my endo put me on the byetta pen and i dropped 10 lbs right off the bat. (i was quite nauseated too but that went away after an hour or two of taking the shot.) i have been borderline and my c-peptides have been creeping up. it really did help with my metabolism/hunger. just a thought! i was torn because the ob wanted me to do clomid and the endo wanted me to do the pen. i should have stuck with the pen longer, but the holidays came around, and i was surrounded by treats, you know how that goes... why bother taking it if i'm going to eat crap anyways!

for those who don't know - i have had 2 mc's prior. the first pregnancy was a complete surprise and the second was completely planned. i started seeing an endo after the first one and she diagnosed me with hashimoto's thyroiditis, pcos & insulin resistance. i'm now on synthroid 50 mcg/day and metformin 2000 mg/day, as well as the BP med and prometrium. fingers crossed, but i really think this one is going to make it this time! it's hard to be positive after the negitivity i've faced, but being worried isn't going to help my situation at all, so i'm progressing as if this WILL be a full term pregnancy.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #47
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gab
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 6, 2013
Thank you ladies for your compliments on my little one. He is a cutie! . We just had his baptism yesterday followed by his party. Good times!

Portia - my doc had told me to start LC and lose as much as possible that every single pound helps. I went cold turkey at 20 carbs a day and it worked great for me. Of course he also recommended moderate exercise (30 min at least 3x a week), I wasn't so great at adding that in. Good luck to you! So glad things have turned around and gotten better for you.

Jilly - I like my pump (medela brand) but wish I had gotten the double --- for me it takes around an hour to do both sides. Renting actually sounds like a great idea at first since you can't return an opened pump if you decide you don't want it.

Congrats to those of you that just found out your expecting! That's fantastic news! I just recently found out that I will be an Aunt come September (my brother is expecting his first). So excited!!
First goal: 250 6/24/14
Second goal: 244.6 7/23/14
Third goal: 200
Old 02-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Gab - I live in Nassau as well. Congrats on becoming an aunt!

My Dr. didn't recommend meds OR low carb. He, like many doctors, said I needed to "lose weight" and should consider gastric bypass. I would like to eat moderately, count calories etc., but given my age and how much I have to lose, I need something where I will lose fairly consistently. I know low carb will work - I am doing induction - 20 net carbs at the moment. But I do plan to add yogurt after the 14 days since I know from past experience that I do fine with it.

I would love any other tips, plans menus etc. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Fingers crossed for you KQT!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #49
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Portia - my doc (reproductive endo) is in Syosset. I loved him and his staff. My ob-gyn is in garden city and I delivered at Winthrop. really happy with everyone - they are really polite and caring without being obnoxious about weight issues.

Last edited by gab; 02-20-2012 at 04:15 PM..
Old 02-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Went out shopping today with my mother armed with a few items to return/exchange and a few gift cards! I'm confident that if baby decided to make a surprise early appearance tomorrow, we have all the necessities we'd need to be just fine We don't have the nursery set up at all since we plan on moving soon, but we do have a pack n' play handy just in case, so we would manage.

Next Saturday is our home inspection (was supposed to be this past Saturday, but it got pushed because the seller couldn't get the electricity turned on in time), so my parents are going to come stay with us again. I'm VERY happy to have my dad with us for the home inspection since he's very handy and will think to ask the inspector lots of things that we otherwise wouldn't even think about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleogirl View Post
I am 9 weeks pregnant today, and I did great for the first two weeks of it (4-6wk). But then I started having a lot of carb cravings and broke. It seems like that's the only thing that appeals to me. It's so sad because I really wanted a low carb baby. Do the cravings go away after the 1st trimester? Thanks!
I find the cravings only go away if you don't give in to them. For a couple weeks in my first trimester, ALL I wanted was grilled cheese sandwiches and macaroni and cheese. I avoided both, ate low-carb cheesy options in an effort to quell the cravings (not that it really worked, but I tried!), and after a couple weeks of not caving in, the cravings finally subsided. Once I started eating junk (part way into my second trimester), I've not been able to get back on track AT ALL. I regret having strayed to begin with.
Quote:
Jilly, your shower sounds like it was lots of fun! do you have a name picked out yet? i remember jiffy was the nickname.
Jiffy will officially be Benjamin David (David is my father's name)
Old 02-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Portia - I was over 40 when I lost all my weight. I lost over 70lbs in about 4 months doing LC. I was very strict with my diet and I did workout every day. I definitely think you can lose enough weight by summer to get Pregnant!

Jilly - So glad the shower went well!

KQT - 6lbs is NOT a big baby! And those scans are notoriously wrong. I am sure you will be fine and baby will be perfect, insha'allah.

Today is the day! Leaving in half an hour to go to the clinic for the transfer! Pray for me ladies!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #52
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Blondie
Old 02-21-2012, 04:40 AM   #53

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
My cravings have been horrible this entire pregnancy. I gave in during the first trimester, but it made me a mental case. So, now I just suffer through it. I hate most meat, but I just eat it and deal with it.
I usually dream of pancakes and candy though.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gab View Post
Portia - my doc (reproductive endo) is in Syosset. I loved him and his staff. My ob-gyn is in garden city and I delivered at Winthrop. really happy with everyone - they are really polite and caring without being obnoxious about weight issues.

Gab - sending you a PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Portia - I was over 40 when I lost all my weight. I lost over 70lbs in about 4 months doing LC. I was very strict with my diet and I did workout every day. I definitely think you can lose enough weight by summer to get Pregnant!

Jilly - So glad the shower went well!

KQT - 6lbs is NOT a big baby! And those scans are notoriously wrong. I am sure you will be fine and baby will be perfect, insha'allah.

Today is the day! Leaving in half an hour to go to the clinic for the transfer! Pray for me ladies!
Prayers and baby dust for you! Thanks for the weight loss encouragement.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Paleogirl
WOE: Paleo/LC
Start Date: 2011
Well unfortunately my hubby says "the cravings are there for a reason", so I should listen to them. Should I be doing that in all honesty, though? He thinks they will eventually go away. But now after hearing you ladies talk I'm worried.

I mean I'm not craving sweets but grains galore and salty junk food...grilled ham & cheese, garlic bread, bagels, etc. It's awful.

I almost wish I had the sweets cravings cause I know how to make stuff that's relatively low carb and healthy that would quell that
Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleogirl View Post
Well unfortunately my hubby says "the cravings are there for a reason", so I should listen to them. Should I be doing that in all honesty, though? He thinks they will eventually go away. But now after hearing you ladies talk I'm worried.
My opinion is that the body does sometimes crave what it needs. However, NO one's body NEEDS junk food or grains. The human body simply does not require dietary intake of carbohydrates to flourish. I think too many of us (and I do say "us" since I'm currently not sticking to my preferred eating plan!) use pregnancy cravings as an excuse to eat what we know isn't really good for our bodies. After all, even when not pregnant, I sometimes had cravings for certain things, but I would ignore those cravings because I knew those foods would not yeild the results I wanted for myself, so I would try to find alternatives that I knew were better for me. That is still true while pregnant. In my first trimester, when I wanted a PB&J sandwich, I had them - using oopsie rolls instead of bread, natural peanut butter, and all-natural reduced-sugar fruit spread. When I wanted grilled cheese, I fried up some Queso Blanco or made some cheddar cheese crisps in the microwave. When I wanted potato chips, I had some salt and vinegar flavored almonds.

*sigh* I need to get back to following my own advice!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #58

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Some people have cravings their whole life! Giving into cravings will not help you. Your body does not need sugar ot grains whether pregnant or not.
I would have killed for a bowl of cereal tonight, but I had gross hamburgers instead.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: court613
Stats: -32
Start Date: baby boy born on 2/28/12!
Blondie - Prayers for your transfer today! Hope you're feeling ok. Keep us posted!

KQT - How did your appointment go today?!!! Fingers crossed that all is well. Check in soon.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

for you Blondie Baby! By now, you should be done with the transfer.....hope it wasn't too uncomfortable and you are resting now!

Ugh, talk about cravings. You want to know what I had for lunch today? Why, yes, I had a Carvel Carvelanche with chocolate ice cream and Reese's Peanut Butter cups. Of course, now I am ready to and I should have never indulged myself. I think I am dreading when I have to start meeting with my endo again and they label me as gestational diabetic and I am just trying to get the carbs and sugar out of my system now. Because last night, I had Pad Thai Chicken. I also felt sick after eating that too. But before hand and while I was eating the chicken and ice cream, I was enjoying it a lot! I'm just being so foolish right now because I KNOW this stuff is not good for me, pregnant or not. Especially not when I'm growing a baby inside me! I've got to reign myself in.
Closed Thread