Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #331
KQT
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
Congratulations Suzanne!!! What a precious picture.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #332
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lizzybme
Stats: 270/149.8/150,2011: 156/240/207/196.2 after baby
WOE: LC after baby year later
Start Date: 8/21/09, 11/6/2010 #100 lost, 149.8 3/3/2011
Old 04-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #333
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gab
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 6, 2013
Wow congratulations! So glad to hear your recovery is going well.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #334
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Congratulations, Suzanne! He is beautiful, and that is such a sweet picture.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #335

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
The nurse came to the house today and he is gaining weight really well, back up to 6 pounds 5 ounces already! He is a champion at nursing. I was able to actually sleep last night. The first night I just wanted to watch him all night!
Now, I am back to my zero carb diet and ready to lose the baby weight. I did stay VLC during the pregnancy and it was REALLY hard. I am glad I stuck with it cause I only have 20 pounds to lose now, not too bad.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:51 AM   #336
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: emya
Stats: 175/160/135
WOE: PCOS/GF
Start Date: April 2012
Hello all... I am new to this board and this forum.

A little bit of background... I am 26, and have been TTC for nearly 2 years. After wasting nearly a year seeing an OB (who put me on 50 mg of Clomid for 6 months, then thought the best next step was 3 months on 100 mg, and I finally put my foot down), I got a referral to an RE last Tuesday. After about 15 minutes, the RE diagnosed me with PCOS (finally!), then spent the next half hour outlining a plan, which included Metformin, a checklist of diagnostic tests to slog through, and most importantly, LOSING WEIGHT by eating low carb, low fat, low sodium, and high protein. I gained 40 lbs. within several months after going off BCP, and having never dieted or regularly exercised in my life, just put up with my new weight as inevitable. But I am now determined to give my body every fighting chance to improve my fertility before having to resort to more invasive and expensive treatments. (It would also be nice to be able to remove my wedding ring... it's been stuck on my finger for almost a year. ) So I started this diet and exercise plan last Wednesday.

Days 1 & 2 were fine, though I had a hard time exercising at all (only 3 minutes of jogging, but it *was* 30 degrees and really windy!) Days 3 & 4 were fairly miserable, so fatigued, irritable, nauseous, headache, dizzy, diarrhea, I thought I couldn't possibly be dieting correctly. Slept 13 hours Friday night, and 12 hours last night. I see now that "induction flu" is a fairly normal part of the process. Today was Day 5, and I woke up feeling good, energized, and did more housework today than I've done in months. Was able to exercise for over 30 minutes, twice as long as I have been earlier this week. Alas, I am still wide awake at 3 am, I'm sure because I slept so long this weekend, and not looking forward to work later today!

My main question tonight is, does anyone have any good resources for diet guidelines for PCOS? My RE didn't specifically mention one name brand diet over another, and what I've learned this week has come from Google. I have been sticking mostly to veggies, modified Cobb salads, chicken breasts, egg white omelettes, cheese, and a few strawberries per day (they helped the last few days when I was feeling so sick), and washing it all down with water and tea. This seems like it will get old fast. I not only do not cook, but I despise grocery shopping as well, so this is not just a diet change for me, it is changing everything. Trying to negotiate with DH to do the shopping, and I am working on preparing a few easy meals for myself (I was very proud of my spinach/mozzarella/turkey omelette this morning!) I would love some easy crock pot suggestions, too! Oh, and before I forget... I am also avoiding gluten. (Long story short, I've had chronic tummy pain for years now, several people had suggested GF, and I finally tried it in January. I started feeling better immediately, so whether or not I'm Celiac or have a gluten sensitivity, it helps, and therefore, I will continue doing so.) I feel that LC and GF go fairly hand in hand, so I have an added interest in avoiding bread and pasta and crackers and such!

Anyway, long introduction, just glad to finally find a forum like this!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #337
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
hi emya! when i eat low-carb i would munch on turkey rollups: cheese, turkey, & honey mustard rolled up in romaine lettuce leaves. meatballs. HB eggs. string cheese. steak! hotdogs, brats (no buns). cheeseburger quiche. You can find a lot of good recipes here. i had the same problem with my husband, he's a complete opposite of me and always want to eat potatoes, pasta, breads, cookies, so we could never agree on dinner. but the exercise and the metformin alone should help you lose weight right off the bat too, and help you ovulate a little more regularly.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #338

I am losing the baby on zero carb, that is how I ate prior to my pregnancy. It has always worked for me.
But, if you do low carb, you really should not exercise until your body adjusts to the low carb and that can take a few weeks.
I am losing all my weight without working out.
I will add in exercise when I lose the weight and find the time. I did the same when I lost the weight after my first baby.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #339
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Welcome emya! I agree with Suzanne...don't push yourself too hard with the exercise at first, that will come. When you feel better from eating LC, you will WANT to exercise more and more. Also, just curious, it sounds like you are trying to be low fat and low carb? You mentioned egg white omelettes? My advice-don't be afraid of the fat! Egg yolks are the healthiest part of the egg, I always get sad when someone orders egg whites at the deli I go to for my breakfast a lot. The yolk is the best part!

I would also highly recommend you google "Mark's Daily Apple" and "primal diet".

Good luck to you!

Our baby boys that we waited so long for. They are 359 days apart!

Sharon
Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #340

I noticed the low fat too. I eat a very high fat diet on low carb. Most of my pregnancy was high fat burgers with onions and cheese. Now I just eat high fat burgers and have been losing.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #341
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: court613
Stats: -32
Start Date: baby boy born on 2/28/12!
Congratulations, Suzanne!! He is beautiful and that is such a sweet picture. So glad the baby is doing well (and you too). Bennett was born a few days shy of 37 weeks as well, and I was so nervous about how breastfeeding would go because of him being late pre-term. Great news that your LO is a little piggy too and gaining weight so well!!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #342
Senior LCF Member

Start Date: A long time ago
Congratulations Suzanne!

Thanks ladies, for all the helpful info on PCOS. I'm hoping my appointment goes well on Friday. I feel a little weird about self-diagnosing and asking for medication, but I'm convinced after all the reading and test I've gone that I have it. I hope my doctor is on board.

Welcome Emya. It might help you to pick up a copy of an Atkins book. It's traditional low carb and should give you some direction for low carb food choices. You've come to the right place, you'll learn so much here.

Shana
Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #343

Gallery: pocahontas
Hey ladies!

Im just waiting to O over here, probably over the weekend or early next week.

Suzanne - I already told you congrats but CONGRATS again!

Emya - pick up an Atkins book, preferably an older one and get to reading! Its such a basic program and can really help you get your diet focused and working FOR you. Relax on the exercise a bit until your body adapts to the new diet. Maybe do some walking or light weights. One thing at a time! and
Old 04-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #344
Senior LCF Member

Start Date: A long time ago
Andi- We're set to O around the same time- probably this weekend, if this cycle is like my last and I O late. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #345
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gab
Start Date: March 6, 2013
Hi all -

Why do people (family) think it is ok to try to give my child tastes of food when a) I said not to b) he isn't even eating solids yet? And then call me overprotective when I get annoyed? UGH
Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by gab View Post
Hi all -

Why do people (family) think it is ok to try to give my child tastes of food when a) I said not to b) he isn't even eating solids yet? And then call me overprotective when I get annoyed? UGH
huge pet peeve of mine!!!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Andi- We're set to O around the same time- probably this weekend, if this cycle is like my last and I O late. Good luck!
You too!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #348
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AmyLiz
Stats: pregnant
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: April 3, 2011
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes.

I've been experiencing what I'd consider pregnancy symptoms for the past week or so. I'm not TTC, in fact I'm on the pill, but out of the blue last week I had a day that was full of nausea, dizziness, headaches, weight gain, and a "spare tire" around my lower stomach that appeared out of nowhere. I didn't think much of it, but a couple days ago, it happened again, and the nausea was so severe that I was on the verge of vomiting for hours. I skipped lunch, and by dinnertime, i was hungry, but still sick-feeling. The only thing that sounded good was chicken wings with hot sauce, which I ate with no problem. Everything else within sniffing range made me want to vomit. Today, i feel moderately sick, dizzy, headachy, etc. When i eat something, i feel worse afterwords. Out of curiosity, I took a HPT this morning, but got a negative. I can't seem to find an explanation for any of it! I also have a thicker discharge and some slight cramping twinges down there....

My last period started around March 6, but it came a week early (which doesn't happen to me when on BC), and since my pills only allow me to have a period every 3 months, I won't know until JUNE if i missed a period.

Even though this would definitely be a shock and surprise, it wouldn't be an unhappy one. I'm getting married in less than 2 months, and we both want to have kids in the near future...
Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #349

These could also be detox signs if you just strarted low carb, take a test.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #350
Senior LCF Member

i've been low carbing for a year now....
Old 04-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #351

Amy, I would just keep testing if you feel like you might be PG. Unfortunately those symptoms can be horomonal, TOM or PG and since you are skipping your TOM maybe you are just getting all the symptoms without the flow? My body never did well when I tried to skip my TOM, I had to just let it run its course every month.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #352
Senior LCF Member

I guess it's possible that that I'm just getting symptoms without the flow, but after 2 years of using the same BC, you think it would have done this before? I'm just kinda weirded out by the whole thing, haha.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #353
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Today, we learned how to use our Moby wrap Ben is currently napping on my chest, all wrapped up tight to me. It's pretty hot, though, but definitely convenient to have two free hands and still be holding him.

I went to the doc this morning because, in addition to the pain I've been having in my nipples (despite not having breastfed since Thursday or even pumped since Friday), I have a little bit of a rash on the tops of my breasts. I assumed that was maybe from the nursing bras, so I stopped wearing those as of yesterday. However, this morning I also woke up to find little red blisters all over my right breast, which is the one that generally hurts more and randomly gets shooting sharp pains. Doc has no idea what I have, so she gave me a topical ointment for the rash and an antibiotic in case I have some sort of infection. If it's not improved within 48 hours, I will go back in. My mother did have a good idea that even I hadn't considered - I've had shingles in the past, and with these little blisters appearing this morning, we're wondering if I might have shingles again. The blisters are not in the same spot as last time I had shingles, but they are on the same side of my body (last time, the blisters were just to the right of my right breast), and Google seems to think that makes sense for a shingle recurrence. *sigh* it's always something!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gab View Post
Hi all -

I dread this, and I KNOW it will happen, particularly with my MIL. Let them call you overprotective 0 do what YOU know is right for YOUR family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emya View Post
...most importantly, LOSING WEIGHT by eating low carb, low fat, low sodium, and high protein.
I'm going to reiterate what others have already mentioned: first, careful on the exercise while your body is adjusting to such a major shift in diet, and second, why are you trying to eat low in fat? I would even question the low sodium as well, as many sources state that those eating low in carbs actually need MORE sodium. If you're eating low in carbs, fat should not be limited because it becomes your primary source of energy. I lose weight best when I keep my intake to about 10% or fewer calories from carbs and 65% or MORE calories from fat with protein filling in the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLiz View Post
Out of curiosity, I took a HPT this morning, but got a negative.
I have THREE negative HPTs the same week I got a blood test showing I was actually at LEAST 6 weeks pregnant already. If you think something is up, I urge you to go get a blood test to find out for sure, especially sinc I assume you're still taking the pill, which you would obviously need to STOP if you are, in fact, pregnant.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)

Last edited by jillybean720; 04-09-2012 at 04:11 PM..
Old 04-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #354

Jellybean, you are certainly having a rough time!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #355
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for all the advice so far, it's very helpful! I love the lettuce wrap idea, I will have to try that. I will make sure to put the Atkins book on hold at the library.

To clarify, I did not choose that diet, my doctor did! Here's what he told me:

1) Eat low carb
2) Eat lots of lean protein
3) Avoid fat
4) Lower sodium
5) Do cardio 3 times per week for 45 minutes; his suggestion was to alternate running/walking for the full 45 minutes, as long as I can handle it. I have instead been jogging a little every day, trying to get my muscles used to the activity, while working up to the whole 45 minutes. I used to run track in high school, so I prefer that activity to other kinds anyway.

Along with the diet, here's what he told me specifically to try and eat:
Breakfast: A "5 egg white to 1 egg yolk" omelette, can add veggie, cheese, meat, pepper, no salt
Lunch and Snacks: Lots of fresh veggies, a salad with protein, some low fat dairy products, etc. For snacks, I picked up some string cheese and colby jack cheese sticks, and zesty dill pickle spears (yum!)
Dinner: A large helping of lean protein like boneless, skinless chicken breast or a non-fatty fish (he said tilapia, not salmon), plus a large helping of my favorite steamed veggies; can eat lean beef for dinner about once a week

Does this not sound very healthy? I spoke with a coworker who knows a lot more about the Atkins diet today, and it's so confusing to me that bacon and cheese and hot dogs and hamburgers (no buns, of course) are part of a LC diet but fruit and brown rice isn't.

Also, any solutions for sweet cravings? I've been really good about choosing the right foods this past week and not feeling deprived, till someone handed me a caramel at work today. I took it so as not to be rude, but then that one little piece of candy preoccupied my brain for a good hour, lol. As far as candy goes, it wouldn't even make my top ten, and yet just having held it in my hand a short time made me want it SO bad! I shoved it in my drawer, and tried to forget about it.

Thanks again, everyone. All these changes are so foreign to me. Just gotta keep my eye on the prize.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #356
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Originally Posted by emya View Post
To clarify, I did not choose that diet, my doctor did! Here's what he told me:

1) Eat low carb
2) Eat lots of lean protein
3) Avoid fat
4) Lower sodium
5) Do cardio 3 times per week for 45 minutes; his suggestion was to alternate running/walking for the full 45 minutes, as long as I can handle it. I have instead been jogging a little every day, trying to get my muscles used to the activity, while working up to the whole 45 minutes. I used to run track in high school, so I prefer that activity to other kinds anyway.

Along with the diet, here's what he told me specifically to try and eat:
Breakfast: A "5 egg white to 1 egg yolk" omelette, can add veggie, cheese, meat, pepper, no salt
Lunch and Snacks: Lots of fresh veggies, a salad with protein, some low fat dairy products, etc. For snacks, I picked up some string cheese and colby jack cheese sticks, and zesty dill pickle spears (yum!)
Dinner: A large helping of lean protein like boneless, skinless chicken breast or a non-fatty fish (he said tilapia, not salmon), plus a large helping of my favorite steamed veggies; can eat lean beef for dinner about once a week

Does this not sound very healthy?
I would still question the lack of fat. Even a non-low-carb "healthy" diet includes about 40-60 grams of fat daily. We NEED fat inorder to absorb and utilize vitamins A, D, E, and K, and we need fat for healthy eyes, hair, skin, nails, and organs. And, when eating very limited carbs, we need fat for energy. That prescribed diet, to me, sounds like a very restrictive plan that would leave me with very little energy and probably dry skin, brittle nails, and unhealthy hair. If nothing else, the yolk is the healthiest part of the egg - it's where all the nutrients are! And I NEVER use low-fat or fat-free dairy products (or really anything else, either) because they are usually higher in carbs (when you take out the fat, you have to make up for the flavor somehow!) or processed junk.

I know it goes against everything you've ever been tught about "healthy" eting to hear that a bunless hamburger with cheese, bacon, and mayonnaise is a better choice than a bowl of brown rice, but the fact of the matter is that the human body NEEDS protein and fat - it does not need dietary carbs. You could never eat another slice of bread, potato, grain of rice, flake of cereal, etc., again and still live a long and healthy life. The same is not true for protein and fat, both of which are necessary for good health. We've all been duped into thinking we need these "heart-healthy" "whole" grains, when we actually don't need them at all. As a type 2 diabetic, I can tell you that eating a scoop of brown rice or a fresh banana or a bowl of oatmeal is just as bad to my body as a scoop of ice cream or a donut or a candy bar.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #357

I am guessing you have never read "why we get fat" by Gary taubes or the original Atkins book. Pick one of these up, they are easy to read and will explain why a hamburger is a better choice than fruit and brown rice.
I struggled with food my whole life until I switched to low carb. Suddenly I was thin, not hungry, and not thinking about food 24-7. It was amazing.
I like to weigh 120 at 5 5. I am 134 a week after having a baby and staying vlc for the pregnancy, minus one week in my first trimester. It was really hard too cause all meat made me gag for nine months, but I knew it was the healthiest for my baby and me.
I am 40 and had a c section. I am completely back and recovered. I cook, clean, and am full of energy. I owe it all to healthy eating.
I eat burgers three times a day now cause they are fast, easy, and, cheap. I drink only water.
Read the books. And good luck, the road to success is harder for some, but it iis worth the work.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #358

Gallery: paulav99
emya: I was diagnosed with PCOS over 10 years ago. I was able to lose 75lbs on WeightWatchers (before I had my kids) and got pregnant fairly easily (the 2nd time weighing 280) with the use of Metformin 500mg.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #359
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Potaty
Stats: 227high/227now/150goal
WOE: LC + Exercise
Start Date: July 2013 (this time, LOL)
coming out of lurking to say Jilly, it sounds like you might have thrush or mastitis
Old 04-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #360
Junior LCF Member

I can't thank you guys enough for your incredibly detailed posts. No, I haven't read any books in particular on any sort of nutrition, much less LC. I guess I have been indoctrinated with the food pyramid my whole life, and their recommended 5-6 servings of grains per day. It is healthier to cut out all the processed junk (I love potato chips!) but I will do more research and make sure I'm not cutting out all fat.
Closed Thread