Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #301
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I cried everytime I had to feed Andrew too. I would see him getting hungry and I would get so upset. I dread going through it again.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #302
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blondie Baby
Stats: 213/126/130
WOE: JUDDD with LC
Jilly - hope the breastfeeding gets easier for you.

RJ - I LCed thru my last IVF cycle. I have no intention of ever NOT LCing!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #303
KQT

Gallery: KQT
Stats: 203/post-baby/175
Jill, i hope the BF'ing gets better for you! i love your honesty about your situation. i wonder with all my meds if the doc would even recommend it.

FBS was 85 this morning and 2hr PP was 95. i feel good about that.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #304
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lizzybme
Stats: 270/149.8/150,2011: 156/240/207/196.2 after baby
WOE: LC after baby year later
Start Date: 8/21/09, 11/6/2010 #100 lost, 149.8 3/3/2011
So happy for you Jilly!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Hi Everyone! I'd like to join too.

First . . . Congrats to Jilly on the new baby!! I'm sure he's precious.

So, my husband and I have been trying for a little while now. I am actually in my TWW at the moment (8-9 DPO), so fingers crossed! I've been an off-and-on low carber for years, but this past year have been mostly paleo. Just over the past week, I've decided to get rid of any sweet potato and fruit and try to keep things very low carb (keto levels), at least until I get a BFP. I still haven't decided how low I'll try to keep the carbs once pregnant.

Anyway, I have read through all the posts and got all caught up, and just wanted to jump in on the conversation.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #306
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Mazel tov, Jilly! How exciting. Breast feeding is challenging for many women - the books that don't explain that are really doing women a disservice. You have a lot of choices as to how to move forward.

First, it does get better, usually by week 3. Second, you can get help! A visit with a lactation consultant can really help or you can find a la leche league near you and go to a meeting with the baby and they will help you.

Here is a list of LLL moms in Northern VA:

Breastfeeding Help in Northern Virginia

There are lots of other options, too - PM me if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie Baby View Post
Portia - feel free to PM me anytime. We can compare IVF notes! I'm still waiting for my period to start so we can start the IVF cycle. Was due yesterday but didn't. I'm hoping Saturday or Sunday.
That would be great. I am through my first week of BCP.

Portia's Journal
Old 04-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #307
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins
Start Date: A long time ago
Welcome, Sutton! Best of luck TTC. How long have you been trying, and will this be your first?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:45 AM   #308
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gab
Start Date: March 6, 2013
We are at 6+ hours of uninterrupted sleep! I woke after 5 1/2 because I wasn't sure what was going on and my breasts were so full. Decided to get up and pump at least some before he wakes. .

Wish I knew what brought this on - I would certainly repeat whatever we did lol
Old 04-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Welcome, Sutton! Best of luck TTC. How long have you been trying, and will this be your first?
Thank you! We actually got pregnant first try last May, but soon miscarried. We started trying again in September, so about 6 months. This will be my first, but I have a 15 year old step son.

We actually got our BFP over the weekend!!! So, now we are just praying this one decides to stick around. I'm feeling very optimistic.

Now I just need to dial in the diet, considering my new "condition." I'm thinking for now I'll just go with a traditional paleo diet of meat, eggs, nuts, healthy fats, some fruit (but not too much), and ample amounts of veggies. Maybe the occasional starchy vegetable. I may also think about adding some Greek yogurt down the road.

I appreciate any and all feedback!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #310
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton_02 View Post
Thank you! We actually got pregnant first try last May, but soon miscarried. We started trying again in September, so about 6 months. This will be my first, but I have a 15 year old step son.

We actually got our BFP over the weekend!!! So, now we are just praying this one decides to stick around. I'm feeling very optimistic.

Now I just need to dial in the diet, considering my new "condition." I'm thinking for now I'll just go with a traditional paleo diet of meat, eggs, nuts, healthy fats, some fruit (but not too much), and ample amounts of veggies. Maybe the occasional starchy vegetable. I may also think about adding some Greek yogurt down the road.

I appreciate any and all feedback!

Congratulations! I'm sorry for your loss last year. I can only imagine what that's like.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #311

Gallery: pocahontas
Sutton - and congrats on the BFP!

TOM came for me today. I knew it was wishful thinking as this was our first real cycle of TTC and DH had the stomache flu through most of my fertile period. On to the next cycle!!!!

How is everyone doing?

Jilly - KUTGW!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #312

I go in for an ultrasound tomorrow, 37 weeks, and see if they can turn the baby. But, my whole family thinks this is a bad idea and just take the c-section. I guess we will talk to the doctor tomorrow and see what is going on.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #313
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
et with a lactation consultant on Saturday who said Ben is slightly tongue-tied (tight frenulum), which is why breastfeeding was so painful for me - he was basically crushing my nipple against the roof of his mouth. It also meant he was getting very little milk because he was crushing the flow. So, until we can get him to a pediatric ENT for evaluation as to whether his frenulum may need to be clipped, I've switched to exclusively pumping.

BUT, for some reason, I'm producing very little milk. Saw another lactation consultant today to talk about why I'm producing so little milk despite pumping 10 times a day (every 2-3 hours around the clock). No one seems to have any answers. Yesterday, I pumped 10 times and got a cumulative total of a whopping 3 ounces of milk. She told me to keep up the pumping every 2 hours for the next 48 hours but that if my milk doesn't really come in by then, then, unfortunately, it just is what it is. I do give my baby the breastmilk I pump, so he gets formula for all but 1 feeding daily, but I can't very well continue pumping every 2 hours just to give him one bottle daily - my sanity would then be at risk!

So, formula is looking more and more like our reality. I will call my OB tomorrow to see what she thinks, and we will see the pediatrician again this week since baby still isn't pooping at all despite having been on formula now for 2 full days. *sigh* this is NOT how I expected the breastfeeding to go, and it's very disappointing and frustrating. The good news is that he's really thriving despite all this drama - he's regained a little weight (4 ounces since Saturday!), he's not showing any signs at all of dehydration (wetting plenty of diapers, that's for sure), he's not very fussy and doesn't cry much at all, and he's very alert when he's awake. If nothing else, he's a trooper!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I go in for an ultrasound tomorrow, 37 weeks, and see if they can turn the baby. But, my whole family thinks this is a bad idea and just take the c-section. I guess we will talk to the doctor tomorrow and see what is going on.
Why do they think trying to turn the baby is a bad idea?
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 04-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #314
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Jilly. sorry to hear it is so rough. Took me sometime before I would get more than an ounce pumping. Even now - sometimes the flow is so little.m hot shower or warm washcloths applied before pumping helps as does a pre and during massage. I wish you all the best. My gf pumped exclusively for 6 weeks while her twins were in NICU - they were bottle fed with both formula and BM - she picked up nursing when they came home so you could always try again if you want. Best always!

Pocahontas - I remember those days of hoping and then...nope. Best of luck!
First goal: 250 6/24/14
Second goal: 244.6 7/23/14
Third goal: 200
Old 04-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #315
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Suzanne - best of everything tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #316
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Jilly: I had "low supply". While I am, um, well-endowed, I actually have very little glandular tissue (learned that at my mammogram after DS#1). That being said, it's worthwhile to pump while supplementing with formula. Even if you just keep the pumping up a bit, so you can decide once you address the tongue issues with the ENT.

I have heard good things about fenugreek tea and there is also a med that can help - Domperidone.

Hang in there - whatever you decide will be fine and what a great start you have given him already.

Fingers crossed for you, Suzanne!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #317

I made a ton of milk, but still could not pump in the first 6 to 8 weeks. We all have our plans, but things do not always go our way! Just roll with it.
Little baby James would not turn, they could get him half way and then he just popped back into place. So, unless he turns on his own he will be born via c-section on the 20th. Not my plan at all, but such is life. At least I tried to turn him.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #318
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Guess baby James likes the way he is. I didn't think a c-section was too terrible. Wasn't what I had planned either. My little guy did not want to drop - even during the c - he kept tucking his head the opposite way.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #319
Senior LCF Member

My lactation consultant advised me to steer clear of fenugreek due to my history of type 2 diabetes; apparently, it can cause glucose issues. Domperidone isn't actually available in the US, and I'm very hesitant to order it from an online pharmacy (which is what has been suggested to me on other forums). I know Reglan is available in the US, but it comes with a potential for causing depression, and lord knows I'm emotional enough!

I'm still pumping (hooked up right now, in fact), and I'm getting about 3-4 ounces total per day. *sigh* It's a LOT of work for what amounts to only 1-2 bottles of breastmilk per day since I spend about 6 HOURS of my day with this stupid pump between the 20-minute sessions, cleaning the parts, drying the parts (since they don't fully dry beween the frequent sessions)...meanwhie, I switched formulas already. We were using Enfamil since I had a can I'd gotten as a free sample, but when Ben pooped, he struggled so much! I went out and bought Gerber Good Start Protect this morning, which includes probiotics, so hopefully that will help. The reviews I read on Amazon were promising.

In other news, we have nice neighbors at our new house I haven't met them by name yet, only happened to have a brief exchange one day before we even closed on our house, but they mowed our front lawn for us yesterday! It needed to be done pretty badly, but I sure don't have the time/energy to do it, and Jeff is so busy with work, school, and homework that he hasn't had time to do it, either. Super nice of them!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #320
KQT

jilly, thanks for popping in! glad to hear your move is complete and you have great neighbors! don't give up on the bf'ing. every little ounce helps.

I heard the heartbeat today on the doppler at the doc's office- 170. grow little baby grow!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #321
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lizzybme
Stats: 270/149.8/150,2011: 156/240/207/196.2 after baby
WOE: LC after baby year later
Start Date: 8/21/09, 11/6/2010 #100 lost, 149.8 3/3/2011
To any mmoms that are LC during pregnancy...
Did you use keto sticks to check for Ketones?
if so how much are you showing?

I got back on my LC ways....They were going to start insulin so I delt with it and got through the first day, on day 5 now.
I started showing ketones by 6pm the first day and have been ever since.
Feel so much better, just looking for support.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybme View Post
To any mmoms that are LC during pregnancy...
Did you use keto sticks to check for Ketones?
if so how much are you showing?
I never tested for ketones. Why bother? I wouldn't have changed my eating whether they showed up or not!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #323
Senior LCF Member

So, trying to get pregnant has lead to lots of research about fertility. I was talking with a friend tonight, and have decided to make an appointment with my doctor to talk about PCOS. I have soooo many of the symptoms. I'd like to try and get on metformin. It's too early to tell if I have fertility issues, but I think I need to address this now, rather than wait. Do any of you have PCOS or know much about it?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #324
gab
Major LCF Poster!

My reproductive endocronologist said I very likely have PCOS. his major recommendation for me was to follow a LC diet. I started the next day. He hoped I would maybe lose 25 lbs in 6 months...I lost just over 60 in 8 months.

I have not been good about returning to lc since I gave birth and the weight is just flying back on. So back to lc I must go!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #325
Senior LCF Member

I've had multiple lactation consultants ask me if I have PCOS, as that could be a cause of my extremely low milk supply. I have had type 2 diabetes and emergency surgery for removal of ovarian cysts when I was a teen, and insulin resistantce and ovarian cysts are two of the major PCOS symptoms, so...but I've never been handed an actual diagnosis.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #326
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
Start Date: every day
I have it. I'm on Metformin and a low carb diet really helps. My symptoms were cysts on my ovaries, insulin resistance and hormone issues (oh yeah, and weigh issues, ugh). Low carb really, really helps and I feel is the gold standard in treating it. Once I went serious low carb, I got pregnant *that* very month. Previously, we had tried for 3 years, and even did a couple of cycles of fertility treatments with drugs and timed intercourse to no avail.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #327
KQT

I have pcos and take 2000 mg metformin a day. I dropped 20 lbs in the first 2 months on it. I lso used the digital opk sticks to determine when I actually ovulate... last cycle was day 18. Just having the endo confirm I had pcos was a huge weight off my shoulders, I knew I had the symptoms but my last gyn would not help me out, just told me to lose weight. Well, with pcos that is easier said than done!

I would recommend the book pcos and your fertility, also patient's guide to pcos by futterweit, and of course the bible: taking charge of your fertility. Very informative!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #328
Senior LCF Member

My lactation consultant said taking metformin might help increase my milk supply, but since my glucose levels have been normal, I'm hesitant to start taking any drugs.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #329

I had my baby on Tuesday! I went in to have the baby turned that day and it triggered my labor. They rushed me into have my c-section. He was a few days short of 37 weeks, but 6 pounds 5 ounces. I was really sick after the c-section, puking everywhere and shaking. It was hell. But, I was able to breast feed him that night.
The recovery has been really easy too.
All my nausea is gone! My cravings are gone. I am back to zero carb and have about 20 pounds to lose. It was a rough pregnancy, that is for sure.
For all trying to get pregnant, it took me 9 years and I finally got pregnant at age 40! Go figure.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I had my baby on Tuesday!

And what a sweet picture!
Closed Thread