Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: amah_2011
low carb and PCOS

Hi Everyone,

I am following a low carb diet for pcos. I just wanted to know if anyone had success in regulating periods or getting pregant with PCOS following only low carb . If yes, how low carb did you go and in how much time did you see results.
amah_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
Hi there! I started eating LC with PCOS to get all pregato. I lost 34 pounds in...three months, I think. It may have taken four. yes, it was four. I started in Sept. and was pregnant in January, found out in Feb. Just took a few months to regulate me. I had been TTC for 3.5 years before that. No miscarriages, but no luck, either. I did Atkins induction for two weeks, maybe a little longer. Then I gradually raised my carbs to about 30-50 each day and then once a week I would have a very low carb treat from Starbucks. I had a friend who told me about eating LC to get pregnant. She was also on Metformin and then continued eating LC the first three months of her pregnancy. I didn't do that, but also didn't go crazy with the carbs. Basically I went on to the last phase of Atkins while pregnant. I did 20 carbs a day. However, I wasn't counting net carbs. I was counting total carbs, so I'm sure I was probably more like 10-15 carbs a day. I must have missed the "net carb" part in the book. Anyway, I'm starting back LC to get my PCOS under control again. I noticed the random facial hairs, weight around my middle, skipping periods, sudden weight gain, etc. etc and just knew I needed to try again. My cycle has gone insane in the 5 weeks I've been eating LC, but it's a normal length now. This was a life saver for me, and gave me my next two children. I could not be happier! You can do it, too! It really does work!
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2inlove04
Stats: 265/238/136
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 1 2010 (restart) June 22 2011
This is really encouraging, I'm definitely doing this to become healthy, regulate cycles and achieve pregnancy as well to remain healthy during and after pregnancy
2inlove04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SherriS.
Stats: 198/190/150 Weighed 225 in '05
WOE: Gluten Free (wheat allergic)
Start Date: March 2011
I have PCOS and 22 years ago had to take medication to help me concieve. I have twin boys now that are 21. I didn't know that LC would help back then. You may be wondering why I'm writing on this thread but I have to tell you that I now ovulate regularly and have normal cycles since I eliminated wheat from my diet. I had consulted with a nutritionist a few years ago (her diet didn't work for me) and she also said milk products are a problem for PCOS sufferers. I hadn't heard that one before! Just wanted to share.

I still suffer with other symptoms of PCOS (embarrassing facial hair primarily - ugh).

Good luck to you!

When you look into a mirror, Do you like what's looking at you? Now that you've seen your true reflections-What on earth are you gonna do?
Find some inspiration-It's down deep inside you! Amend your situation, yeah, Your whole life is ahead of you!
Lyrics by Boyd C. Tinsley performed by Dave Matthews Band
SherriS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 322/306/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 8/20/14 for yet another time
After being over weight since a teen, & PCOS around 25, I started low-carb at 29. 3 months and 30+ pounds gone, I became pregnant (Gage is now 9), the OB said no to low-carb but changed his mind when I failed the sugar test, but I could also have bread and pasta. When I stopped breast-feeding, Gage was 4 months and grew teeth, I went back to low-carb. Quaid just turned 8! Doc said I turned into Fertile Mertyle while low-carbing, but since it put my periods back on schedule, I stayed with it, most of the time.

I try to stay around 20 carbs per day, that seems to be my magic number for losing weight. But make sure you get your OB's opinion on low-carbing while pregnant!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gab
Start Date: March 6, 2013
Hey there -
I lost 60 lbs in about 6 months following induction level of carbs (about 20 grams a day). It was the doctor's recommendation that I pick a low carb plan to help me out. My cycles began to regulate themselves about 3 months in....I waited longer than that to make sure that my thyroid levels (I'm hypoactive) were regulated as well and had wanted to lose as much as possible. So 8 months after starting, I was preggo I had pushed my carb level up to 100 grams a day when we began to TTC at the dr's recommendation since he had said ketosis could be bad for the fetus. I had to go up as high as 100 just to get out of ketosis. I've not been following LC exclusively since I got preggo. So far though, I've only gained 3 lbs in the last four months.

Best of luck to you!!!
First goal: 250 6/24/14
Second goal: 244.6 7/23/14
Third goal: 200
gab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovemyfamily
Stats: 295/291/120
Start Date: reinduct 01/14/2012
In 2000 I was trying to have a baby. I had been on the pill for 5 yrs and didn't have a period for a year after I stopped the pill. then they came every now and then. Of course I went to the doctor and he just gave a shot and shrugged me off-saying that sometimes happens after being on the pill. Well (4yrs after that) I started low carb dieting--just to lose weight--and here came my periods--regular--and then the baby-- I would say about 3 months at most. Since then I have found out that I have PCOS and my gyn, this year, actually told me to low carb diet--for life of course. I haven't got back on that wagon yet but am going to. Just bought the new book and realize I have an intoleracne to carbs---period-- I can not metabolize carb. I'm not a big meat eater so low carbs was always kind blah to me but I was the most satisfied and lost easiest on it. So I'm coming back--and of course not low carbing leaves my cycles in a mess. Low carb really did cure my PCOS symptoms when I was doing it. My doctor did place me on Metformin to help regulate my cycles this year-- and it has some. Good luck to you!
lovemyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/142/105
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Day one recommitting back 9/21/14
This is why low carbing is awesome!!!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I did low carbing and Metformin to fix my messed up metabolism 11 years ago. I was 41, infertile (first child was IVF and was already 8) and didn't even dream of becoming pregnant. I had my first (ever!) ovulatory period within a month, before any appreciable weight was lost, and six months later I was (to my utter surprise!) pregnant. Our wonderful surprise is 10 now, and we have to use birth control!
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tdodson88
Stats: 210/185/155
Start Date: Sept 2011
I am hoping that this round of LC will be my ticket to ovulating. 3 rounds of provera & clomid 50 & 100 mg did not do the trick, so I am going to try a more natural approach! Crossing fingers xxXxx
Tdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:43 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GenStarX
Stats: 260/255/175
Start Date: 10/03/2011
Hey all. I'm currently 27 years old. About 8 years ago when I was with my ex boyfriend (then of 2 years), I started to notice that I was getting sick after EVERY meal... no matter how large or small the meal was. He (and everyone else started asking if I was pregnant), and after about 6 straight months of bi-monthly PG tests, and always having them turn out negative, I was finally able to say "no, i'm not. there's something else wrong." I went to the family doctor about it, who tried to say that I had hypothyroidism and did all sorts of tests to prove it, they all came back negative. At this point, I was STILL getting sick after every meal, and was getting to the point where I no longer even WANTED to eat, because I always felt so sick afterward, that I didn't even see a point to it. I somehow managed to gain 60 lbs during the first 6 months of all this "involuntary bulimia" as I called it. I would sometimes go up to 3 months without a period, and sometimes would have three in a month, it was frustrating to say the least. The doctor again, ran me through a battery of tests for thyroid problems, all which came back negative, WHAT A SHOCKER. Apparently, all of the doctors I would see for the next 6 years had no idea that PCOS existed, because it wasn't until about 6 months before my 26th b-day that I finally experienced what, at the time, was the scariest night of my life. I had been menstruating for about 2 weeks straight at that point, incredibly heavy as always (lets just say, having to double up on the "hygeinic products") and as my husband and I were watching a movie on the couch, I stood up and felt what seemed like a horse kicking me in my pelvis and then a horrible crippling back pain, followed by (what i felt was) horrifying hemmorraging. We rushed to the women's ER here in town, where they finally did tests to verify that I in fact had polycystic ovaries, fibroids on my uterus, and diagnosed me that night with menorraghia. I've been on and off of different birth control pills for the past 2 years. The first few causing the hemorraging to be worse. While off the pill for a 6 month period, I lost 40 lbs LC'ing... Sorry it took so long to get to this point, I tend to ramble. When I lost that 40lbs, not only did I start to feel better LITERALLY from day 1... but my periods normalled themselves out, they lightened up, and the issues w/ the random "hairface" (as i call it) seemed to drastically subside. I've been off the diet for some time now, just because I was going through a rough patch where I just wasn't able to focus on it, and this entire time that I was off the diet, I put on the 40lbs again (+8 additional pounds) and I must say, that I was back to feeling HORRIBLE every day: no energy, constant stomach pain and indigestion, body aches, and good ole "hairface" came back. I just started the diet back up this past Monday. Here it is Friday, and I already feel so much better. I do of course have a bit of an annoying headache, but honestly, I've suffered chronic migraines since I was a small child, I honestly can't tell if its from the diet or not anymore. lol...

I'm hoping if I can lose that 40 lbs again, that I can get off of this birth control pill, and that me and DH can finally, FINALLY think about having children. I was told in much nicer words, that essentially, I have a hostile uterus, and that odds are very slim that I even ovulate on a monthly basis. I want so badly to have a baby. All I'm asking for is 1, lol... So hopefully, this round will go much better, and DH supports me all the way. He's stopped bringing home candy bars and trying to stash them in places he thinks I won't see them... and he stops bringing home smoothies from Jamba Juice (one of my old favorites) and he's even decided to start exercising me (which says a whole lot because he's the biggest couch potato I have EVER met... yet go figure, he's a skinny butt!). Its been 4 days and I'm down 5 lbs. Not as dramatic of a loss as I'm used to seeing the first week... but I'm okay with that. Any loss is still loss, and that's what counts, right??
GenStarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbCarrie
Start Date: Feb 2011
Got pregnant LCing

Ever since I hit puberty around 12 years old, I've never had a consistent period. Though I was never formally diagnosed with PCOS, all the doctors I saw said it was very likely. I had an insulin resistance, major hormone imbalance, and I only ovulated with periods (which only occured every 9-14 months) 25-50% of the time. I asked my doctor how difficult it would be to get pregnant once my husband and I were ready, and she said it was likely I'd need some sort of medical intervention of some kind.

Back in September of 2010 we stopped trying to prevent a pregnancy. I wasn't LCing at the time and hadn't thought much about it either. But then I saw the documentary "Fat Head," did some LC research and discovered that lots of women with irregular cycles just happened to get pregnant while trying to regulate via Low Carbing.

I started low carbing (somewhat inconsistently, to be honest, but definitely more than normal!) around March of 2011. May 9, 2011 I just happened to take a pregnancy test to confirm that I wasn't pregnant for some medical forms, and WHAM! Double pink line. I hadn't had a period since early December of 2010 so I had no clue how far along I was. Turns out I was only about 4 weeks and a few days the day I found out... so I either had a period really early, or LCing helped kick me into a cycle!

As far as the number of carbs I was consuming- Induction levels mostly. I would cheat about once a week though
LowCarbCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: choocha4u
PCOS, weight gain and low carb

Hi all,
I am extremely glad to have found this discussion thread. I have been diagonsed with PCOS 2 years ago, few months after i got married. I am 25 years old now weighing at 191lbs & height of 5'4". I have regular periods and no other issues related to periods. I am struggling to lose weight and facial hair etc associated with PCOS. I dont want to take meds and I am trying to loose it the natural way. Is there a good website or a book that you can suggest to me about Low Carb food? After hearing stories from this thread, I really am excited and hoping to lose weight using LC and to become a MOM....I just cant wait.
Please do help by giving some suggestions and thanks in advance
choocha4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Busymom14
I have PCOS, had a baby and now trying again!

There is hope!

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2007. I have classic symptoms: weight gain, missed cycles, lack of ovulation, male pattern hair growth, ovarian cysts etc. BUT my Dr and I have worked together to fix these side effects and it is working! I want to share my experience to help others going through this frustrating health issue.

I became pregnant in 2008 unexpectly! I didn't know it until I was 2.5 months along since my periods were always sporadic. My baby made it full term and she is a healthy, happy 3.5 year old today. I didn't take any meds to stay pregnant except my OB prescribed me Progesterone.

Since the birth of my daughter in November 2008 I have not become pregnant again. We have never been careful and would love to have another child. More recently I have really wanting another baby and trying to make it happen.

My Dr. Suggested I exercise and lose 40 lbs. before i get pregnant. I was 280 lbs (my heaviest) when she told me this. I was having high blood pressure and only 29 years old! Very scary to say the least. So I started working out 5 days per week. I do 1 hour cardio (moderate to intense... On the treadmill or eliptical machine) plus full.body weights everyday for 15 minutes or so. I've lost 20 lbs in 2 months!

In addition to the exercise my Dr. Put me on Metformin. I am not diabetic but some women ovulate and lose weight easily on this medication! It is amazing and is definitely working for me. I take it before bed so I do not feel shaky, stomach cramps etc which are common side effects. It also has suppressed.my appetite and this is such a blessing when trying to lose weight. I've been on thyroid medicine since 2010 as well. I have a low (hypo) thyroid and I take Levothyroxine daily to supplement hormones my body needs to balance itself. So between the Metformin and Levothyroxine my body is getting healthier and I'm having less symptoms of PCOS!!

I am now having regular periods the last few months, no painful cysts, less hair growth and I tested positive for ovulation today!! I can not tell you how thankful and happy this makes me. I wasn't sure if I was ovulating at all so I bought a Clear Blue Easy 1 month ovulation testing kit. It was about $30 at Walmart and works amazing! Now I know that the exercise along with medication is working. Now my husband and I will do the baby dance (intercorse) for the next few days to hopefully get pregnant!

I wish everyone out there with PCOS luck! I am here if you need support or have Q's. It can feel very lonely and embarrassing to have PCOS. But there is hope, I'm proof of it and you hopefully will be too!
Busymom14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: riss
Stats: VLCD9 down 3.5 lbs plus 6.5 lbs from loading
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: began R1P2 on 9/7/2012
I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS. I've had hypothyroidism for years and had 2 miscarriages along the way. After the 2nd miscarriage I began going to a reproductive medicine doctor group that a friend recommended. One of the doctors there has a book about fertility. He recommends a low carb diet to help with PCOS.

The Fastest Way to Get Pregnant Naturally: The Latest...The Fastest Way to Get Pregnant Naturally: The Latest...
riss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
I'm curious about anyone's experience with going off the pill, not to get pregnant, but to regulate cycle. Is the pill really necessary? My doctor seems to think it is, but I'm not convinced. I recently missed a period (first time in my life) and it came three weeks later along with painful cramps. All while on orthocyclin.

I haven't been great taking Metformin the past year, because my blood sugar was normal (I'm diabetic Type II). But I'd like to try being better with the Metformin and not being on the pill. I'm not trying to get pregnant but I'd love to not have to deal with the pill especially if it's not particularly helpful.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ucdoit
So glad to have found this thread. I'm new to this forum and have been reading up on some posts with some helpful advice.

My period stopped about 3 years ago and stopped for about 1.5 years, which is when I decided to go to the doctors. They obviously just put me on the pill and told me to wait and see if anything "happens" Nothing happened so now I'm on the pills constantly. After reading this thread, I might give LC a go to see if I regulate.

Should I keep taking the pills while LC-ing, or should I stop? Also does it have to be less than 20g of carbs per day for this to work?
ucdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smallgoodthings
WOE: Low (not no!) Carb, Modified Atkins
Start Date: May 8, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdoit View Post
Should I keep taking the pills while LC-ing, or should I stop? Also does it have to be less than 20g of carbs per day for this to work?
Hi there,
I was diagnosed with PCOS three years ago. I have been on YAZ since my diagnosis. I tried Metformin shortly after my diagnosis, but it made me very sick and I haven't been back on it since. I started a low-carb diet in mid-May of this year, and have kept my carbs under 30 per day. Since then, I've lost a little over 30 pounds and I've seen improvement with my skin, mood swings, and overall health. I hope this helps!

Last edited by smallgoodthings; 09-30-2012 at 08:15 PM..
smallgoodthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
I was on the pill for about a year after being diagnosed with PCOS and it didn't help me at all in regulating periods or easing cramps (or with skin problems). So I'm off the pill now and doubled my Metformin. I think you might have to test out what's best for you. Even if this pill isn't helping, there are other types that might. PCOS can be a tricky thing to sort out.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ucdoit
Thanks both for the helpful advice!

Right now I'm still quite addicted to carbie junk and find it difficult to stay LC. I think after this month of pills I will stop taking them and do LC and see how it goes!
ucdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: leigh09
Good luck. I have PCOS also and had three kids in a row. They were all conceived with the help of metformin. I wish I could say I had also been good on my LC diet but that wasn't the case.
leigh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LosinitwithGrace
Stats: 216.3/208.3/175
WOE: Low Carb Living.
Start Date: 6/8/13
Hi.. about 5 years ago. I went on low carb lost 20 pounds and stopped metformin.
then i got pregnant. and lost the baby at 15 weeks.. they said.. its becuase my hormones were not leveled.. Never got pregnant since then. so if doctor puts you on meds.. Stay on meds until they take you off..
Going back on low carb now. to get to my final goal. even thou im almost 40 and pretty sure not going to get pregnant. After 10 years of trying. but .. just make sure if your on meds stay on them until doctor takes you off. But Low carb diet is the only diet that has worked for me. I feel so much better when im on it and my weight is down!!
Good luck!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Radiogchik
Stats: 225/208/160
Start Date: Oct 2012
Any of you ladies have long heavy periods in the beginning of LCing? I have always had whacky cycles. Basically not having a period at all. Couple times a year. After starting LC mine are crazy heavy and very long. I'm wondering if this will subside after a few months or what!? DH and I are trying for a baby and that's hard to do with a period for 20 some days! Went to a fertility Dr who put me on Metformin to assist in ovulation. Any suggestions or anyone in same position?
Radiogchik is offline   Reply With Quote