LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: xandersmama
Stats: 5'4" - 127/119/108
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: January 14, 2011
Weight during period?

I started eating a low carb diet on Friday, Jan 14th.. My period started on the 16th(for the first time in almost 3 years, ugh!) and since it started my weight loss has stopped completely. I'm not gaining, but I am losing absolutely nothing. I know it's common to gain some weight BEFORE your period, but isn't it supposed to be lost when it starts? Or does it last until your period ends? Because it's really frustrating and discouraging to be at a stall so early in this diet...

ETA: I am also having trouble *ahem* going to the bathroom.. it has been almost a week. I drank some epsom salts and water tonight because I can't stand not being able to go to the bathroom any longer! Could it be related to constipation as well?
xandersmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
I am not going to be a lot of help... But I am going though that time too. I have been good in months past by just not weighing myself until a week after. However, this month I am really down about the lack of weight loss and I feel bloated. I have been eating more carbs than I should have because I have this "what am I doing this all for" feeling. I am also dealing with a lot of other stress this month.
I think the best thing to do is to just stay on track with your eating and all will be well in a week!
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: xandersmama
Stats: 5'4" - 127/119/108
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: January 14, 2011
That is EXACTLY how I feel. What's the point? Why do this to have absolutely no weight loss... but I'm really trying to ignore those thoughts and hoping this is all just related to AF and will be gone soon..
xandersmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
Hang in there. It will be better soon for both of us!
: )
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
Just give it time--usually after the period is over, most women experience a whoosh! I never show any loss 2 weeks before my period and during it. But, it's even more important to stick with your plan exactly at those times.
Lucky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BWYA
Stats: started 1 Jan 11: 272.6/243.0/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1 January 2011
there is another thread that is similar to this one HERE.

I found that since about ovulation, i've not really seen the scale move. I'm on cycle day 2 and from what I read of others' experiences, I am waiting to weigh until it's over. I had planned to not weigh until 31 Jan (for other reasons) but I think I should start on CD5 or 6 and weigh for a few days to see when (IF) the bloating takes a hike. Then I might figure out when IS a good time to weigh.
BWYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kriscross
response to *ahem*

I'm on Day 12 of re-committing to low-carb eating, but I've used it successfully before and I've learned a thing or two about the *ahem* problem. I use a Fiber Therapy supplement. The one I take says you can take up to 15/day (5 with each meal). I have done OK with just taking 5 with my evening meal. Have stayed regular every day since I've started anew.

The first time I tried a low-carb plan, I was miserably blocked (and that has never been my problem), even though I was eating plenty of veggies w/high fiber content.

Hope that helps.

)
kriscross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mena
I do have some weight gain during my periods because I can't stop eating sweets sometimes
Mena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Skulldrix
Stats: 144/144/138
WOE: 20 carbs day,no nuts or fruit
Start Date: 7/21/13 restart 4/14/2014
Yes. I'm experiencing bloating, gas, and no weight loss during the start of my period.

But I guess it will all be over when my period ends.
Skulldrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Everything you're experiencing is normal for ketosis. You're probably retaining water and it's cancelling out any weight loss. The water weight should disappear in the next few days, but you can probably expect it to throw off your weight loss numbers every month. A lot of women find they don't losing during the week before their periods; some get a big whoosh afterwards, but some just don't lose. :/ Ah, the joys of womanhood....
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IndieKim
Stats: 202/163.8/130
WOE: Atkins-ish Low Carb
Start Date: 05/20??/2013
It's still relevant though IMO...I've had many of the same questions since I started LC'ing in May.

RE: mini-stall PMS - yep. I have it every month, or a slight gain, then it falls off at the end of the period IF I stay on plan. In fact just this morning (TOM departed last night) I had a woosh.

RE: Constipation. This happens to me during TOM no matter what WOE I'm on at the time, but LC brings it on worse. I find fat bombs serve dual purpose for me....cures the insatiable craving for chocolate, and they also get things...er...moving

May 20 2013 - 202 lbs - Waist: 38.5 - Hips: 45 - Thighs: 28

Sept 1 2013 - 167.2 lbs - Waist: 32.25 - Hips: 39.75 - Thighs: 24
IndieKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Smokey23
Indie Kim, I'm curios to know what a "fat bomb" is? Your post on this topic was encouraging. It's the week before my period and I gained back two pounds the last couple days and that's so discouraging. I haven't went to the bathroom in 4 days either. I lost 3 pnds 4 days ago. Any suggestions?
Smokey23 is offline   Reply With Quote