Old 11-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sammyj22
Stats: 285/279/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 27, 2010
PCOS and pregnancy

Hello guys,
I'm pretty new to the Atkins thing. I started out Monday (again, after falling off the bandwagon for 2 weeks while family was in town & I was sick!). I have been googling my little fingers off for the last few days looking for success stories for women who have PCOS that used the Atkins to become pregnant. I have found a lot of stories actually but I figured I should come back o the LCF Board and see if any of you had personal success stories or knew of anyone who became pregnant after trying for a long time?

My wonderful sister in law brought a new baby boy into the world this last weekend and ever since then I've had baby fever more than ever. I can't wait to start a new family and I'm REALLY hoping that I don't have to take any sort of medication make it happen. I don't even like taking Asprin if I have a headache!

I can't wait to hear your stories or even to hear that other people know what I'm going through! I was just diagnosed with PCOS in April and being only 22 at the time (23 now) it was heartbreaking. I know that I'm on the right path to making myself healthy not only for me but for when I do get pregnant, the little one.

I've spent my whole life overweight. The last time I was under 200lbs was at the age of 14. It's getting to the point that I feel so frustrated with everything and even looking into the mirror that I cry :/ I can't wait to start seeing real results and not just on the scale. Anyway! Please share your story with me and bring some more hope into my life
sammyj22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: VictoriaLynn
Stats: 5'2'' 366.4/284/130
WOE: BistroMD
Start Date: January 21, 2013
I just want to say I do understand what you are going through. Keeping low-carb does help my cycle to be more regular and helps me to ovulate. When I weighed in the upper 200's I was able to get pregnant twice and miscarried both times. Not sure if it had to do with the PCOS or not. I would love to get pregnant again, but I'm scared too. I'm really hoping low-carbing will get me at a low enough weight so that I can have a sucessful pregancy. I do know that other women that have PCOS that have had successful pregnancies, some on their own others with some help. And then there are people like me... I totally understand and wish you the best of luck.

Goodbye 290's!

Second Mini Goal: Under 250
First Mini Goal: Under 300-Met 05/29/2013
VictoriaLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: flutterbyu
Another non-success story (yet) here from me, but I want to wish you lots of luck and let you know that I know a TON of success stories from this board and others I'm part of.

I was diagnosed when I was 19 and I'm 32 now (will be 33 in March). We're actively TTC now and I'm in the big 2 week wait, so hopefully with fingers and toes crossed, we get a postitive this month. If not, we'll keep on trying. I'm using no meds other than supplements (prenatal vitamins and Vitex) to help with my cycle and I'm 4 days freshly back on the wagon and down 4 lbs already.

We have a "Getting Healthy for Baby" thread going a few links down- come join us there!
flutterbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Just bc you have PCOS doesn't mean you'll have trouble conceiving. "THEY" say that bc we don't get our periods regularly. Think about it - that just reduces our chances bc we less periods. For example, I took 6 mos to conceive my first but it was only 4 cycles. Other women would have had 6 chances to my 4. But we still have plenty of chance to get pregnant. Of course, I didn't have all the symptoms of PCOS...I had the androgens in my blood test, acne and infrequent periods. But I have no hair thinning or hair growth. So that might factor into things, I don't know. I was worried tho bc I would only have 2-3 days of my period and then miss many. When we decided to conceive it took me 68 days to get my first period! I did temp and tried to time things to help us. You can read Taking Charge of your Fertility if you are interested in trying that.

Then with our second we conceived the first month!

So yes, there is no reason to believe you won't be able to conceive

Deanne
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Oh - and I wasn't LCing at all before. I just started post pregnancy. I suppose it could only help more tho.

Good luck!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: paulav99
I was diagnosed with PCOS around 2000 when I was 19. I was so scared I wouldn't be able to conceive.

Low and behold my periods were pretty regular after getting off birth control. Our 1st DD took 2 months of trying to conceive, and this pregnancy also took 2 months.

Just because you have PCOS does not mean you will have trouble conceiving.

BUT, I will say that I was on metformin both times, so that may have helped. The Dr. just went ahead and put me on it before we started trying.
paulav99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Toridoll2004 - Thank you so much for your reply! I'm sorry about your miscarriages - that's actually what I'm most scared for when I actually DO get pregnant I have a friend that went through one and she was heartbroken.. still is, even though she's pregnant again and already to term.

flutterbyu - I'm hoping you get great news! Thank you for sharing your story :] I know that it's a hard road but us girls gotta just keep on truckin' and know that one day it'll all be worth it!

hockey_gal - My husband and I have actually not been "preventing" having a child for almost 3 years now and there is still nothing. My periods have gone from 2 months of constant period to skipping 3-4 months.. so I'm very very irregular. I have all the symptoms of PCOS - hair growth, irregular periods, blood work done, acne.. etc. So I know that's why I haven't gotten pregnant in the last 3 years of not preventing pregnancy. I'm hoping that losing weight will help with that. I actually had my first normal period a month after starting the Atkins (a few months ago) but this months is all out of wack again. I know it'll take time and patience, I just hope it works!

paulav99 - I'm so happy you were able to conceive with PCOS! As I told hockey_gal, we haven't been preventing pregnancy for almost 3 years now and so far there's been nothing so I know that I have a problem. I'm just hoping once I lose some weight and get my normal periods (hopefully for the first time in my life!) that it'll be easier. I'll have to ask my doctor about metformin though and see if it's something he thinks I should try. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Well, my sister (who has very similar issues to me and probably has PCOS but never bothered to look into it)...went 6 years of not preventing before she got pregnant. She tried progesterone (if that's correct? she couldn't remember the name) for one month and she got pregnant that month. Not sure if it was the pills or not bc she said she only took them for like a week. She got pregnant the second time w/no problems. And then a third time while trying to prevent! She is not a total success story tho. Her 1st child was 5 weeks early, 2nd was 9 weeks early and the 3rd too early to survive. This was 18 years ago tho and I believe that nowadays (and more so in the US, we are in Canada) the medical/OB field is more equipped to help women like my sister.

I hope you get your bundle of joy when you are ready

Deanne
Old 11-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: poppiesinjuly
Stats: 255/240/180 5'8"
Start Date: March 2010
Hi, I just wanted to tell you my experience. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2001.

My DH and I started trying to concieve 4 years ago. I'm currently due in January. It took us a long time, and we did use medication eventually, but I think beginning to eat low carb also played a HUGE part in us finally getting pregnant with a sticky baby.

Are you charting your cycles? It is one of the single most important things you can do when you are trying to get pregnant (and is good information, even when you're not). Get yourself a good themometer that goes to .00 (there is a pink one at Walgreens that is cheap and works really well) For charting to work, you have to wake up at the same time each day (including weekends) and take your temperature before you move from bed.

(I work early, and had to set my alarm for 5:00, even on the weekends, for 2 years. Annoying, but eventually you learn to just roll over and go back to sleep.)

Beginning the day your period STARTS, record your temperature each day. A graph works really great for this. I have one I could e-mail you if you need it, or you can just look up "basal body temperature chart" on the web and find a printable one.

It takes a couple of months of charting to start to see the pattern you are looking for. Usually, temperatures start out lowish (for about 2 weeks, can be more or less, by a lot). Then, around the time you are ovulating your temperature might take a little dip. (Mine did, not everyone's does), then, a couple of days after ovulation, your temperature should jump up by about a degree. It should stay up for about 14 days, and then it will drop and your next cycle will start. The trick is to do this for a couple of months and then make sure you are doing the deed BEFORE that little dip and then your temp rising. If your temp is up for more than 18 days, take a pg test.

Finding out the time when you are ovulating is one of the single most important things you can do to get pregnant. Almost no one actually ovulates on day 14. It's also really important for the number of days your temperature stays high to be more than 11 days. That was my issue, and the reason I started medication. Medication is not the easiest thing, but it's not the end of the world either. (It made me hyperemotional) It's actually fairly low on the scale of infertility interventions.

Take the charts to your ob on your next visit. It will give them A LOT of information they can use you help you if you are not getting pregnant.

Anyway, maybe that was TMI, lol. I really do think charting works though. Eating low carb can only help too. It was after already being on the medication for 5 months, I began eating low carb and was pregnant with my sticky baby 2 months later. LOL, then 6 weeks later the 5 months of morning, noon, and night sickness kicked in and all I could eat was carbs, but that's another story.
poppiesinjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the information poppiesinjuly! I've never even tried charting my ovulation but I suppose it would help A LOT to know when I am. :] I'm not getting *too* worried yet as we are just really starting to think about having a baby... we're actually going to buy a new car this weekend - 4 door and baby safe! I like to plan way ahead so this is the first step for me since I'm hoping that next year will be the year. :]