LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: megh
Stats: 183/160/145-(5'7")
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: July 28 2012
Breastfeeding older babies

I know that many people say not to go into ketosis while breastfeeding. My LO is 11 months old and still breastfeeding 3-4 x day but eating plenty of other foods. I wondered if there are any new opinions out there on this? I was in ketosis yesterday, but after reading some things I ate a few carbs because I am just not sure if it is safe. I know I shouldn't lose weight too fast due to the toxins, but I am at a standstill and really need a kickstart!
megh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 24/7Mamma
Stats: 4 mos postpartum/working off the baby weight
WOE: WW carb controlled/whole foods
Start Date: restart: October 2010 after delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by megh View Post
I know that many people say not to go into ketosis while breastfeeding. My LO is 11 months old and still breastfeeding 3-4 x day but eating plenty of other foods. I wondered if there are any new opinions out there on this? I was in ketosis yesterday, but after reading some things I ate a few carbs because I am just not sure if it is safe. I know I shouldn't lose weight too fast due to the toxins, but I am at a standstill and really need a kickstart!
I'm not a lactation consultant or a doc. I'm just a mom who has nursed 6 babies and this is just my .02.

I went down to 30ish carbs a day with a child around that age who was still nursing, because I needed to lose weight and watching calories wasn't working. Experts say lots of things about nursing and what foods we consume. I listen to *all* of them in the early days (well...except when they say not to eat garlic). A lot of the advice given about toxins and such is given because they assume that most people aren't nursing older babies/toddlers. Once a child is consuming a lot of table food and is nursing only 3-4 times a day, and the nursing is not their primary food, I don't worry as much. The truth is, there are toxins in baby food, toxins in the water, toxins in the cookie Aunt Bea gives them when we aren't looking, etc...

And I think a mom who is trying to be at a healthy weight for her family is a good thing for the baby, too. I still ate tons of veggies, watched my water intake, and tried to eat whole foods/low carb foods, but I didn't eat any starchy foods or bread, no glasses of milk, and for the first 6 mos. or so, I didn't eat fruit, either.

24/7Mamma
24/7Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: megh
Stats: 183/160/145-(5'7")
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: July 28 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24/7Mamma View Post
I'm not a lactation consultant or a doc. I'm just a mom who has nursed 6 babies and this is just my .02.

I went down to 30ish carbs a day with a child around that age who was still nursing, because I needed to lose weight and watching calories wasn't working. Experts say lots of things about nursing and what foods we consume. I listen to *all* of them in the early days (well...except when they say not to eat garlic). A lot of the advice given about toxins and such is given because they assume that most people aren't nursing older babies/toddlers. Once a child is consuming a lot of table food and is nursing only 3-4 times a day, and the nursing is not their primary food, I don't worry as much. The truth is, there are toxins in baby food, toxins in the water, toxins in the cookie Aunt Bea gives them when we aren't looking, etc...

And I think a mom who is trying to be at a healthy weight for her family is a good thing for the baby, too. I still ate tons of veggies, watched my water intake, and tried to eat whole foods/low carb foods, but I didn't eat any starchy foods or bread, no glasses of milk, and for the first 6 mos. or so, I didn't eat fruit, either.

Thank you, it makes me feel better to hear from someone who has been there and done that!!!!! You read so much and it is hard to know what to believe!
megh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 24/7Mamma
Stats: 4 mos postpartum/working off the baby weight
WOE: WW carb controlled/whole foods
Start Date: restart: October 2010 after delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by megh View Post
You read so much and it is hard to know what to believe!
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Information overload...
24/7Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote