LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 05:09 AM   #1
AMBIE

Gallery: mtsofmercy
Stats: see sig
WOE: RNY
Start Date: 04/16/07
Dangers of ketosis durning pregnancy.

Does anyone know the exact dangers of ketosis during pregnancy. I have heard it is dangerous... but why? I would like to know what the risks to the baby are.
mtsofmercy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lbecker28
WOE: M&E
My dr said it was a load of bull and to continue LC, but not so much that I am losing weight. She says they baby needs protein and fat.
lbecker28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:29 AM   #3
AMBIE

Thanks lbecker28 for your reply.

What levels of carbs do you eat per day? Has your weights stayed the same then? Also, are you in ketosis??
Old 08-09-2005, 05:32 AM   #4
princess peskironi WIT

Gallery: Peskie
Stats: eek!
WOE: whatever it takes to be a good, energetic mommy!!
Start Date: 11/12/03 goal 7/11/05, crash, burn, restart again!
My nutrition book says ketosis isn't desirable for the growing fetus because the ketones are poorly used by the FETAL brain, and can possibly slow the brain development. My nutrition book says 100 grams prevents this.
Peskie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:35 AM   #5
AMBIE

Thanks Peskie: I am finding that it is suggested to keep carbs between 70-100g while preggers. That seems to go hand in hand w/ your information as well. Thanks for your post.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:49 AM   #6

Gallery: FatCat
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct. '99
The common advice has been to avoid ketosis while pregnant or while breastfeeding as the ketones are passed to the baby. And there hasn't been enough studies to determine if ketones are safe for the fetus or infant.

So...they say to avoid being in ketosis by eating enough carbs yet you can still be on a low carb life style.
FatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:41 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Denise85
Stats: 261/125 size 6; 5'5"
WOE: Normalized eating
The problem is they don't know if it's dangerous or not. They believe it may cause brain damage but there are no studies proving it. It' better to stay out of it. It's not worth risking your child health.
Denise85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:51 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsBenson
Stats: 196/164/150
WOE: Just no sugar :)
Start Date: 10/01/03
i did low carb while pregnant and actually lost some weight! it kept my preg weight at about 25lbs... i just had...protein...greens...and maybe cottage cheese and LC fruit during meals... i just skipped the white food... it was a life saver...i was gaining fast and this stopped it!
MrsBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:53 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarb Leann
Stats: 193/193/120
Start Date: re-start: Jan 2014
I was infertile prior to Atkins - for almost 20 years. I was almost out of my first trimester before I found out I was pregnant, and I was eating induction-level carbs until that point. My DD is fine.

The problem, however, is that I wasn't gaining weight - I steadily lost weight until I found out I was pregnant and upped my carbs. I wasn't that heavy (I was 133 lbs at the time of conception) so my body & baby didn't have much of a reserve to draw on. Everything turned out ok, but I shudder to think what would have happened had I not found out I was pregnant when I did! ("aunt flo" only came 3 times a year back then - sometimes 6 months apart!)

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got!
LowCarb Leann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:54 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
I'm with Denise on this one. It is not worth taking a chance. You can continue to do lowcarb and lose weight and not have to be in ketosis.
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 08:50 AM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jeepifer
Stats: HW:242/SW:232/135
WOE: Bad carbs are yucky.
Start Date: Every minute!
If you follow the "maintenance" plan you should be fine. Eat fruits and veggies -- they're good for you and your baby -- eat the protein and healthy fat as much as you can (morning sickness can play a part in what you can eat!) and leave out the starchy, white, processed junk.

Good luck!
jeepifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #12
Queen of the Planet of Redheads

Gallery: LunaAshling
I will be the one to point out that when a mom has morning sickness she will naturally be in ketosis off and on during that time.

If ketosis was as bad as they say it is.... not only would our species NOT have evolved but all us lowcarbers would have dropped over dead too.

Most people on this earth will tell you no............everyone will cover their own butts legally and no one will run studies on pregnant women.

But lets step away from the "scare tactics" and look at this honestly.........

How did our species survive if ketosis kills and maims? How did we ever get past those evolutionary blocks? How did every sick pregnant lady not give birth to a deformed kid?

Now you go in and tell any doctor that this is what you want to eat while pregnant:

lean meats
lots of veggies
some fruits
lots of water
a slice of bread here and there
and occasional treats

They will be sooooooo impressed!

Now walk in and say you are lowcarbing and tell them the same menu.

When they get done telling you the dangers.....ask yourself HOW on earth that is any different?

HOW on earth can eating that way be bad for your growing baby?

Who here has been pg before and NOT lowcarbing? How many of you were EVER told to avoid ketosis? I bet NONE of you. I sure was not.

So if it is this HORRIBLE thing............ why isn't EVERY pg woman told of the horrible dangers?
You don’t own the future you don’t own the past. Today is all you have.
LunaAshling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:05 AM   #13
wonton momma

Gallery: saltire
Stats: 252/252/200
I personally would avoid it, even if one person says it could harm my baby that is more than enough for me to listen. I will not tempt fate with my unborn child. I am somewhat LC but at maintenance levels, enough to keep me out of ketosis. Better safe than sorry.
saltire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:21 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 5foot2eyesofblue
Start Date: 11/8/2004
From the Atkins website:

A Mother-to-Be Does Atkins
Valerie Berkowitz, M.S., R.D., C.D.E.
On October 23, supervisor of education and research for Atkins Health & Medical Information Services Valerie Berkowitz gave birth to twins. Gabrielle and Aiden weighed in at 5 and 6 pounds, respectively. Congratulations to Valerie and her husband, Keith. While she was expecting, Val was more careful than ever about her eating habits.

I'm pregnant? I'm pregnant! A million and one questions are racing through my head as my joy competes with twinges of concern. There’s one thing I'm sure of: that I'll be able to provide my babies—I'm having twins—with the best environment in which to grow.

I’m a registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator, so nutrition is what I do best. I understand the importance of eating adequate amounts of a variety of nutrient-rich foods—and there is nothing more important to a growing fetus than good nutrition. I have been following a controlled carbohydrate lifestyle for several years and will continue to do so throughout my pregnancy. During pregnancy I’m following the guidelines of the Lifetime Maintenance phase of the Atkins Nutritional Approach™, which is the most liberal in carbohydrate intake. (The weight-loss phases of Atkins are not appropriate for pregnant or lactating women.) This phase will not only ensure normal growth for my babies and help prevent potential complications, such as neural-tube defects and gestational diabetes. It will also keep me healthy.

As you can see from my typical daily menu, listed below, I am eating lots of food with lots of variety, so I’m getting plenty of nutrients. My usual intake ranges between 100 and 150 grams of protein, 70 to 90 grams of carbs and approximately 1,800 to 2,000 calories. Interestingly, I have none of the cravings for specific foods that often plague pregnant women. Nor am I turned off by certain foods, another common side effect of pregnancy. After my first trimester my energy level was fine, meaning that I had no need to nap in the middle of the day. I attribute all these positive effects to my diet. For more information on having a healthy pregnancy, see Vitanutrients for Pregnancy and Foods to Avoid in Pregnancy.

Breakfast

1/2 avocado

Smoked salmon rolled around a teaspoon of cream cheese

Sliced tomato and onion

Midmorning snack

2 meatballs on Atkins bread

Lunch

Large salad made of greens, tomato, cucumber, artichoke, asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli, red cabbage, walnuts and onion, dressed with olive or flaxseed oil and vinegar

Chicken breast cutlet

Midafternoon snack

Berries with cottage cheese

Dinner

Steak

Sautéed spinach and red peppers in garlic and oil

Steamed asparagus

Peach

Snack Time

Even with years of nutrition education under my rapidly expanding belt, when I was feeling tired and nauseous in the early months I sometimes found it hard to eat the right foods. That’s why it is important to have a few light, high-protein foods handy at all times. My favorites are:

Cottage cheese served with melon cubes, grapefruit, strawberries or blueberries
1/2 tablespoon peanut butter with 1/3 banana or 1 teaspoon of low-carb strawberry jam on Atkins bread
Atkins Advantage™ Bars
Atkins™ Strawberry Shake
Sliced turkey (or any other sliced meat) rolled up with lettuce, tomato and cucumber
Hard-boiled eggs
1/2 tuna salad sandwich on Atkins bread and 1/2 cup whole milk
2 high-protein veggie burgers with mustard
Tofu with tomato and cheese
Nuts or seeds

Valerie Berkowitz, M.S., R.D., C.D.E., is supervisor of education and research at Atkins Health & Medical Information Services.

Also from the website:

Can I follow the Atkins Nutritional Approach while I'm pregnant?

Weight loss is not recommended while you are pregnant or breastfeeding, so the Atkins Lifetime Maintenance phase is ideal during this time. As with all phases of Atkins, build your eating program around protein, including meat, poultry and seafood, and healthy natural fats such as olive and flaxseed oil and avocados. Eat plenty of vegetables and one serving of fruit such as strawberries, blueberries or grapefruit daily. Instead of hydrogenated oils, consume healthy fats, seeds and nuts. Cook meat well but don't burn it—heavily charred meats can be unhealthy. Be sure to drink plenty of water. Try to walk 30 minutes a day at a comfortable pace. Avoid getting overheated during exercise and be sure to get plenty of rest. And have fun, this is a very special time!

Expect to gain at least 27 pounds over the full nine months—which will include baby, placenta and fluid. The weight should all come off a few weeks after delivery. Nursing your baby burns more calories and contracts your uterus, so it's good for both of you.

When pregnant or nursing, supplement your diet with the following nutrients daily:
Calcium: 1,000 mg
Magnesium: 500 mg
Zinc: 50 mg

Don't let success go to your head or failure go to your heart.
5foot2eyesofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:36 PM   #15
Mother of the year

Gallery: Laprettygurl
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Feb 26, 2013
Amber~I had such horrible morning sickness (actually it was all day, even when the temperature changed) sickness. I *must* have been in ketosis because I was literally afraid to eat.

I didn't gain any weight until about 7 months when I could eat! yay! I ate pasta almost every day. I put on 28 lbs which came off in 4 days after I gave birth. Water weight, probably super bloated from the carbs. Bad.

Cassidy was 8.1 at birth and she has quite the vocabulary already

I agree with Luna on this one.
Laprettygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lizzyd
Stats: 5'4" 192/182/128
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Re-start 04/28/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsofmercy
Does anyone know the exact dangers of ketosis during pregnancy. I have heard it is dangerous... but why? I would like to know what the risks to the baby are.
Hi there,

As others have said, there is no scientific research to prove health or harm one way or the other about ketosis during pregnancy.

My research (I am not a doctor) has led me to the conclusion that it is fine to be in ketosis during pregnancy, and might even be quite healthy. Here's why.

1.) The people who are anti-low-carb claimed for years "you can't cut out carbs, your brain needs them for brain food". You don't hear that so much any more, becuase if it were true, approximatelt 36% of the country would be brain damaged by now after the 3 year surge in low-carb popularity. The truth is, you get plenty of carbs from veggies. And, if you didn't get enough carbs from veggies, the body would start converting the protein you consume into just exactly the amount of carbohydrate you need.

2.) What Luna said. I'll just give you a more specific example. When the bodies of the human race were already physically evolved to what they are today, we were hunter-gatherers. We ate meat we could kill and plants we could gather, before moving on. That means we, as a species, were in a constant, life-long state of ketosis. It wasn't until we became an agrarian civilization that we started to ingest carbs in much larger quantities (grains).

3.) Example of a civilization that is still in a constant state of ketosis: The Inuit Indians. Above the Arctic Cirle there is basically fish, seal and whale (and their blubber) to eat. Grains don't grow. Even veggies can't be part of the diet (I'm talking about those tribes that have not become completely contaminated by modernity). They are in a constant state of ketosis. Heart disease, diabetes, tooth and gum disease, and obesity are virtually unheard of. And, they have some of the healthiest babies on the planet. No inordinate rate of brain-damaged children.

Having said all that, good luck trying to maintain the woe if you want to go for it! I myself was too queezy for the first few months and could only keep carbs down.

Hope this helped. Sorry if it was a little dry (...zzzzz )

LizzyD
Old 08-09-2005, 06:43 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sharone
Stats: 315.8/261.8/???
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/30/03
I agree with alot of the others, and I'm a labor and delivery nurse. However, you need to make sure you are staying well hydrated. That is key. We see more and more moms in the hospital go into preterm labor b/c they are dehydrated. You uterus is a muscle, and just like runners getting leg cramps in their legs (when they're dehydrated), you will get cramps in your uterus. Too bad it dosen't work this way when you are TRYING to contract and go into labor. No such luck. All these cramps do when you are term is make you miserable. You'll get sent home b/c you're cervix won't be dilating much from these types of contractions at term. BUT...it can put you into preterm labor if you don't drink enough.
sharone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #18
AMBIE

Thanks guys for putting these issues to rest. Thanks Sharon for a medical opinion!

More news to follow...

Testing in 2 days!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:48 PM   #19
Queen of the Planet of Redheads

Gallery: LunaAshling
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsofmercy
Thanks guys for putting these issues to rest. Thanks Sharon for a medical opinion!

More news to follow...

Testing in 2 days!!!

GOOD LUCK! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!!!!
LunaAshling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:25 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Maintenance plus.....
Start Date: 02/24/04
All the concern is great. The fact that you are worried about nutrition at all is commendable.

I like LunaAshling's observations but I'll take it one step further..... no one asked if it's ok to eat mcD's every day, or live on ice cream or pizza. Yet this happens all the time. You eat nothing (absolutely nothing) but garbage throughout your entire pregnancy and no one (and I do mean NO ONE) will say anything to you but say you are eating low carb and they're convinced your poisoning your child.

The point about no one willing to do a study on pregnant women is absolutely undeniable. Like I said the fact that you are concerned about your diet means you'll probably do a better than average job eating right.
Congrats!
Old 08-28-2005, 05:58 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Interesting the person who said we should eat 70-100 g's of carbs. That is a LOT of carbs. When I can stomach it, I've been eating lowcarb bread, nuts, plain yogurt, cottage cheese, and berries, bananas and fruits added to my yogurt in modest quantities in addition to the meats and veggies. (when I can't stomach a thing, only plain yogurt and fruit). Even with all that, I'm not coming near 100 g's. What are we supposed to do, eat bread with sugar added? Mounds of potatoes?

I gained HUGE amounts of weight with both my other kids and had pregnancy complications. No WAY, no freaking WAY will I go off Atkins during pregnancy. I'm convinced it is Atkins that healed whatever it was reproductively that kept me from getting pregant for a whole year. I go on Atkins and BOOM I am pregnant.

I am craving most of the foods on Atkins maintenance and there's no way I would just stick to veggies and meats right now; but you can bet I'm watching my carbs. And now I'm going on a month and my weight has stayed exactly the same. Just like it should.

Thank goodness I found this WOE. I'm looking forward to a normal-sized baby, a normal-sized mom, and a natural childbirth this time.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cavegirl
Stats: 230/217/140
WOE: VLC/VLCD
Start Date: March 2014
Woah. I was just googling "ketosis and pregnancy" when this thread popped up right at the top!

No comments for over 5 years!? But here i am wading in 5 years late!!

I was low-carbing when i discovered i was pregnant with my daughter (now 2 3/4), i was told it was unhealthy and immediately returned to eating carbs.

I had horrific sickness for nearly 5 months (all day/all night) and then after the vomiting ceased along came the gestational diabetes! And it was this that prompted me to look at the actual research on low carbing and read Taubes. It changed my life!!

I found out i was pregnant again last week (yay!) and i am without reservation, sticking with low carb this time. Just as Luna has mentioned, it is inconceivable to suggest low carbing is damaging to babies because we did not incorporate high carbohydrate quantities into our diets till the advent of agriculture 10,000 years ago. And since then our brains have shrunk in size by nearly a 3rd!!!! Bah humbug to the low-carb scare mongerers i say!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MollyMcQT
Quote:
Originally Posted by legrandeginge View Post
Woah. I was just googling "ketosis and pregnancy" when this thread popped up right at the top!

No comments for over 5 years!? But here i am wading in 5 years late!!

I was low-carbing when i discovered i was pregnant with my daughter (now 2 3/4), i was told it was unhealthy and immediately returned to eating carbs.

I had horrific sickness for nearly 5 months (all day/all night) and then after the vomiting ceased along came the gestational diabetes! And it was this that prompted me to look at the actual research on low carbing and read Taubes. It changed my life!!

I found out i was pregnant again last week (yay!) and i am without reservation, sticking with low carb this time. Just as Luna has mentioned, it is inconceivable to suggest low carbing is damaging to babies because we did not incorporate high carbohydrate quantities into our diets till the advent of agriculture 10,000 years ago. And since then our brains have shrunk in size by nearly a 3rd!!!! Bah humbug to the low-carb scare mongerers i say!!!
Thank you SO much for the bump! This is great info. I am 20 weeks and have gained about 4 lbs eating total garbage. I've just been super unmotivated to "make every bite count" nutritionally speaking. I'm inspired to do it again now!

Congrats on your pregnancy! That is awesome and BTW, you are so cute! GL with your pregnancy.
MollyMcQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blondie Baby
Stats: 213/126/130
WOE: JUDDD with LC
Our beloved Fawn posted a study on her Facebook concerning Pregnancy and LC. Facebook is blocked at work and I can't find the link via Facebook Mobile. But in a nutshell it said that the study had shown that LC pregnancies were easier, with less complications, LC babies were healthier and had large head circumferences to name a few things. I'll search out the link this evening and try to post it.
Blondie Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:40 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gardenofsimple
Stats: 161/146.5/130, pp #3 181/181/130
WOE: atkins inspired, whole foods
Start Date: 4/6/10, pp#3 4/28/14
fantastic! I'm glad this thread was bumped not long ago - it's got some terrific information and just what I was looking for!
gardenofsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:27 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OutbackWoman

Why do people have a mindset that it is ok to so something, if they have done it previously because nothing adverse happened the first time??

Dr Atkins said NO ketosis in pregnancy.
Your local G.P will say NO ketosis in pregnancy
READ ANY up to date, peer reviewed medical journal (on the subject) and they will say NO ketosis in pregnancy...

It's just NOT a good idea!!

I could give you a 10 page essay on why ketosis is bad in pregnancy, and anyone who is genuine about this issue I am happy to help....

having said that....

The argument that we were not eating processed carbs 10,000 years ago and nothing happened to those pregnant woman is a null argument...

10,000 years ago the life expectancy was about 45...
10,000 years ago it was COMMON to have a misscarriage

So why say 10,000 years ago, nothing happened to them, so it must be ok?!?

Ever wondered why we have an ageing population?? It's because we have the technology and the knowledge to prolong life!

(and before everyone jumps on the bandwagon about an anti Low Carb'er in the forum... I do atkins too, have done for years now, EXCEPT when I was pregnant and breastfeeding)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... anyone reading this and is considering being in Ketosis whilst pregnant, don't take your advice from "this happened to me" people... not this time... your babies life MAY depend on the choices you make... make it an informed decision
OutbackWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:28 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OutbackWoman

Last edited by OutbackWoman; 11-04-2010 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: Double Post
OutbackWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gardenofsimple
Stats: 161/146.5/130, pp #3 181/181/130
WOE: atkins inspired, whole foods
Start Date: 4/6/10, pp#3 4/28/14
I think most of the people in this thread are acknowledging the dangers of ketosis during pregnancy actually.
gardenofsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MollyMcQT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbackWoman View Post
I'm not headed into ketosis. All I need to do is add a honey crisp apple, some pork jerky and a cup of steel cut oats in the AM and eat pretty much low carb the rest of the time.

A diet like that will keep you out AND keep cravings down.
MollyMcQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #30
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMcQT View Post
I'm not headed into ketosis. All I need to do is add a honey crisp apple, some pork jerky and a cup of steel cut oats in the AM and eat pretty much low carb the rest of the time.

A diet like that will keep you out AND keep cravings down.
Exactly! Im not sure who the troll is but.....thanks for nothing!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote