Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mstigerlily
Stats: 170/152/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/1/10
I lowcarbed my way through my pregnancy with my son, I didn't try to be in ketosis but I know I was on and off. He was my only full term baby and 9 lbs.

I am a registered nurse in women's health. If I had a dollar for every time I dipped a pregnant woman's urine and found ketones I'd be very wealthy. Morning sickness with vomiting and not eating? You'll find ketones. Not eating due to illness during pregnancy? Ketones. Long labor where you are forbidden to eat? Ketones. Diabetic and out of control? Ketones. Some of these states, such as morning sickness can last for months. I don't think anyone should be doing induction during pregnancy - at least not when they KNOW they are pregnant - but ketosis is a natural variation that happens to PLENTY of women. No need to be terrified if your ketone stick turns pink one day, doesn't mean your baby is doomed. Try to eat healthy as you would in premaintenance or maintenance. Just do your best.
170/152/140 - I still lost 18 lbs!

Last edited by mstigerlily; 11-13-2010 at 09:16 PM..
mstigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MollyMcQT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstigerlily View Post
I lowcarbed my way through my pregnancy with my son, I didn't try to be in ketosis but I know I was on and off. He was my only full term baby and 9 lbs.

I am a registered nurse in women's health. If I had a dollar for every time I dipped a pregnant woman's urine and found ketones I'd be very wealthy. Morning sickness with vomiting and not eating? You'll find ketones. Not eating due to illness during pregnancy? Ketones. Long labor where you are forbidden to eat? Ketones. Diabetic and out of control? Ketones. Some of these states, such as morning sickness can last for months. I don't think anyone should be doing induction during pregnancy - at least not when they KNOW they are pregnant - but ketosis is a natural variation that happens to PLENTY of women. No need to be terrified if your ketone stick turns pink one day, doesn't mean your baby is doomed. Try to eat healthy as you would in premaintenance or maintenance. Just do your best.
All hail the Voice of Reason!!! Thank you for your professional insight! Very good to hear and it makes a lot of sense.
MollyMcQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NikiTTC
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 7/9/2012
Hey ladies just wanted to add my experience to this thread. Just did IVF am now 5w5d preggers. My Dr asked me to LC since I'm diabetic for sugar control. I mentioned concern about nutrients for the fetus, she said the Rx prenatals provide more than enough.

Now to map out how many good carbs to allow a day. Eating occasional bad carbs my sugars were hitting 193.I ate saltine crackers, grilled cheese sandwich. Etc. ( i didn't go on a carb fiesta or anything) Did 2 days of induction I'm back to normal. Just need to grab the Atkins book and plan to be on maintenance.

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited by NikiTTC; 11-30-2010 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Spelling
NikiTTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: earthmama
Stats: 158/148/128
WOE: south beach, organic, natural
Start Date: July 2010
I'm extended-breastfeeding my sweet baby boy & his development is WAY more important than a quick weight loss. i'm low-carbing it, but staying out of ketosis is important. I'm drinking lots of goat milk, eating whole organic yogurt & kefir & getting lots of veggies. Toxins w/i your body are stored in your fat cells. A rapid reduction of fat (ketosis) will cause those toxins to circulate in your blood & be fed to the baby (born & unborn). Better to avoid this altogether & lose weight gradually if breastfeeding or not at all when preggo.
earthmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jamiel777
Question about IVF and ketosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikiTTC View Post
Hey ladies just wanted to add my experience to this thread. Just did IVF am now 5w5d preggers. My Dr asked me to LC since I'm diabetic for sugar control. I mentioned concern about nutrients for the fetus, she said the Rx prenatals provide more than enough.

Now to map out how many good carbs to allow a day. Eating occasional bad carbs my sugars were hitting 193.I ate saltine crackers, grilled cheese sandwich. Etc. ( i didn't go on a carb fiesta or anything) Did 2 days of induction I'm back to normal. Just need to grab the Atkins book and plan to be on maintenance.

Good luck to everyone!
I'm new to this forum, but saw your post and wanted to ask about your IVF process.

Were you worried about being in ketosis during the IVF process before you actually got pregnant? I've lost 60 lbs so far and will start my 3rd IVF cycle the beginning of September. I want to know if I should go off Atkins as soon as I start the shots, or wait until they implant the embyo?

Thanks for you help!

J
jamiel777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: handywife
Stats: 185/?/166
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 1st: 9/12/11 2nd: 11/27/12
Well, the body is in ketosis every night while you sleep, so if ketones are "bad for baby", then I guess 1/3 of the time in EVERY pregnancy, the baby is getting those "bad" ketones. I highly doubt this is the case.
handywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Candiflip
Stats: 228/147/175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie Baby View Post
Our beloved Fawn posted a study on her Facebook concerning Pregnancy and LC. Facebook is blocked at work and I can't find the link via Facebook Mobile. But in a nutshell it said that the study had shown that LC pregnancies were easier, with less complications, LC babies were healthier and had large head circumferences to name a few things. I'll search out the link this evening and try to post it.
Are you still around the forum? did you ever find this link..? I would LOVE to read.. thanks!!
Candiflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:55 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blondie Baby
Stats: 213/126/130
WOE: JUDDD with LC
I am still here actually. And I did find the link. I'm so scatterbrained lately that I forgot all about it. I can't it from work but I will try my best to remember and do it from this weekend.
Blondie Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blondie Baby
Stats: 213/126/130
WOE: JUDDD with LC
Candiflip - I'm so sorry I can't find that article again. But I found another study you may find interesting.

http://www.ketotic.org/2011/01/kb-ar...velopment.html

Last edited by Blondie Baby; 10-14-2011 at 10:08 AM..
Blondie Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
I was in ketosis a lot of my pregnancy - not on purpose, I just could not eat. For a time I had a line in to feed me, and for a time I was just starving. I stayed pretty well hydrated because I was constantly given fluids though my PICC line.

So, I took a ton of medicines and had fake food fed into me so that I and my baby could survive.
My baby was born blind in one eye. We've been through extensive genetic testing and it is not genetic - so it was something environmentally in the womb. It could have been ketosis, it could have been medicine, it could have been the "food." It could have been something I did before I was ever pregnant!

All I can tell you is that the guilt eats at me even though I did not chose to starve myself, I could not help it. But I know something in my body caused my baby to be blind and my gut tells me it was because I was starving.

So- if you are worried about harmful affects, then stay out of ketosis - because if anything is wrong with that baby - even if ketosis had nothing to do with it - the guilt you will feel for the rest of your life is not worth it.

Of course there is the flip side of that coin, but I am marred by my personal experience...
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:38 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lizzybme
Stats: 270/149.8/150,2011: 156/240/207/196.2 after baby
WOE: LC after baby year later
Start Date: 8/21/09, 11/6/2010 #100 lost, 149.8 3/3/2011
Bump

Looking for answers.
Type 2
+ ketones
Great blood sugars
Dr visit 12/13
3rd pregnancy.....last one was 15 years ago.
39 years old.
I've been LC for over 2 years and down over 110 pounds.
lizzybme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Candiflip
Stats: 228/147/175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie Baby View Post
Candiflip - I'm so sorry I can't find that article again. But I found another study you may find interesting.

Ketogenic Nutrition: Ketones fuel fetal development
Thanks sooo much! Just seeing this now. I will try to read this later. Has a lot of hard stuff for me to understand.
Candiflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MzJanet
Recently went to E.R. in Ketosis

Hi. I recently went to the E.R. I was having a bad migraine and just feeling really sick. They took urine and said I was in Ketosis. They said it's not good for the baby. I've been eating about 1800 calories a day, but burning much more from working and being active. My body went into Ketosis from all of my activity. I lost like 8 lbs in 6 weeks? They didn't explain "why" ketosis was bad for my baby, but they seemed concerned about me being in Ketosis. That's why I googled and found this site. They gave me an IV with sugar fluids to get me out of Ketosis. So medical advice told me that Ketosis is BAD, but I am still unsure why? Ketosis means burning FAT for energy, instead of carbs. So i'm wondering if since my pregnant body is "taking fat" to produce energy, could my body be taking "my baby's fat store" to produce energy? or is it affecting my baby getting stuff to it's brain? i don't know. i wish i knew more Dr. says it's bad though. i'll post after I have baby and let everyone know how baby is, because i have a feeling my body is gonna keep going into ketosis. and i'm not even low carbing at all right now.
MzJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
Bump. Any more recent posts on this topic? I think doctors are irrelevant...they're just repeating whatever they were taught out of a text book. Some people must've stayed in keto while pregnant in the last 2 years. It makes even less sense to me that they're shooting up people with sugar and chemicals to get them out of ketosis.
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:55 AM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: masonsmom
WOE: Aktins
So....many of you have shared that you stayed in maintenance phase during your pregnancy. I am in induction, and found out I am expecting. I would like to be out of ketosis, understanding a bowl of pasta is NOT the way to go! The OWL rungs will not be appropriate as I need to add a substantial amount to my diet, but don't want to shock my system overnight! How have some of you done this?
PS. this is my second pregnancy, I was not overweight with my first and didn't gain a lot and did NOT do LC during.
masonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 AM   #46
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I ate meat even though it was gross to me, vegetables, and cheese for my pregnancy. Some days everything was gross so I ate cottage cheese or salami.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #47
Junior LCF Member

ok, but has anyone transitioned OFF of LC during pregnancy? I understand some did not, but I am in the process, and would like that feedback? I am not anti-LC, but am choosing not to do induction LC during my pregnancy.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #48

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
just a side note, but doesn't the woman's body produce HCG ,which tells the body to pull from the fat stores of the body in addition to using food intake? couldn't this hormone, that is known to help people lose weight by facilitating ketosis even in the absence of calories, be what is causing women to burn more fat even if they are not trying to lose weight?

Doesn't it make sense that the body will use what ever means necessary, including ketosis, to keep the food line to the baby going? Maybe the reason women might be losing weight during pregnancy is not that they are starving their babies and running marathons, but that the body is feeding both the baby and the woman from the fat that was stored up, expressly for that purpose?... Just maybe? Maybe women don't get fat just to be fat, but get fat in order to feed the babies inside them and getting heavier than the weight of the baby and fluid is a new construction, that maybe people stayed the same weight or lost weight at first until they started eating more for the ever growing baby? That maybe these women aren't dieting to reduce, but are reducing anyway because the body knows it's better to burn energy for the body and baby than to hoard it.

Why is this wonderful fail safe system so misunderstood and scary? It only makes sense.

Ketosis is not something you do only with diet, it's something the body does, any time it is necessary, every night, to keep you going, to keep you from having low blood sugar, to keep your brain going, to keep your baby growing. Why tell women that ketosis is killing their babies, but at the same time neglect the fact that ketosis is what feeds you at night and Ketosis is what the body does during pregancy to make sure the baby has energy to grow, even when Mom can't get food?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 09-11-2013 at 10:59 AM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:15 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsmom View Post
ok, but has anyone transitioned OFF of LC during pregnancy? I understand some did not, but I am in the process, and would like that feedback? I am not anti-LC, but am choosing not to do induction LC during my pregnancy.
Pretty much all of America is not low carb. So, lots of people eat grains and other car by foods when pregnant. I did for my first one.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

ok, thanks, I think? I came here asking for advice, and like another poster said in a different thread, apparently we cannot ask about moving away from LC! It was not my intention to put the LC lifestyle down, but thought perhaps other expecting moms had made a similar choice, and wanted to know about their experience. This is not my first pregnancy, and I was fortunate to be a very healthy weight and weight gain round one. As for ketosis effects, while that may NOT be why I am backing away from LC, I would caution making any choices based on a 'maybe.' I didn't even use sunless tan lotion when pregnant b/c it was a 'maybe.'
Old 09-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #51

I don't get why you think we are mad? I just said it is fine, that the majority of Americas eats that way when pregnant.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #52

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
ok, thanks, I think? I came here asking for advice, and like another poster said in a different thread, apparently we cannot ask about moving away from LC! It was not my intention to put the LC lifestyle down, but thought perhaps other expecting moms had made a similar choice, and wanted to know about their experience. This is not my first pregnancy, and I was fortunate to be a very healthy weight and weight gain round one. As for ketosis effects, while that may NOT be why I am backing away from LC, I would caution making any choices based on a 'maybe.' I didn't even use sunless tan lotion when pregnant b/c it was a 'maybe.'
I don't it's that you can't move away from LC, it's just that so many Mom's have been chastised for, or frighted away from, or flat out villafied for choosing to keep a moderately low carb lifestyle during pregnancy. The entire population has had babies with a non low carb lifestyle and they are fine, the issue is for women who want to Keep a Lowcarb lifestyle and not be given misinformation and stink-eye from doctors and other mothers because they choose to, or can't help but be, either low carb or sometimes in ketosis during their pregnancy.

In the end, it's each individual's choice. I personally don't like scaring people without actual evidence of harm, or blaming people for harm that can't be proven, ie Ketosis kills your baby kind of rhetoric. That's just me, and I have no children, so my opinion may not matter much to anyone...
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I'm jealous of any woman who has a choice on what to eat when pregnant...I simply could not bring myself to eat many things. I admire women who can push past the constant nausea and terrible food aversions and still eat low carb. I couldn't do it... I'm gluten free and everything I wanted had gluten. It sucked. BIG time.

That being said, I've never been able to cut out fruits or carby vegetables all the time even without being pregnant, so I would eat those during pregnancy too. I just plan to eat what I can eat and try my best. I'm hoping when MS reduces, that I will get back to my regular meat, veggies, fruit, yogurt, nuts, sometimes almond bread diet. It's my personal choice and I'm ok with it.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
ok, thanks, I think? I came here asking for advice, and like another poster said in a different thread, apparently we cannot ask about moving away from LC!'
I eat a ketogenic diet, and the basic rules are to stay below 50 total carbs and not overdo it on the protein. If you want to get out of ketosis (which happens much more easily than you might think), eat more than 50 total (not net) grams of carb in a day. Have an extra piece of fruit or a piece of bread - that should do it.

For your sanity's sake, don't worry too much about it. Eat healthy food, don't eat sugar and refined flour, and focus on getting good nutrition for your baby. Congratulations on your little one!
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote