Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmarie
WOE: low carb
May I join you?

I am a long time LCF member but have not posted in a long while. I have lurked on the WLS forum from time to time while trying to make the decision whether or not to have surgery. My weight is at an all time high and my diabetes is out of control. The more insulin I take, the more weight I gain. LC is the only thing that ever worked for me. I even lost 100# a few years ago. I just have not been able to stay on it long term.

So...my surgery date is a week from tomorrow. I am having the RNY. Starting today I am supposed to eat 1000 to 1200 calories a day to shrink my liver and then clear liquids, protein drinks and bowel prep the day before. Going to try to make my calories low carb.

I have been reading through all of your posts and I must say that you all are inspiring! Are there any tips you can share or things you wish you had known before the surgery?

Kim
kimmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
My wls changed so many things for the better in my life. I hope the same for you. Advice, hmmm. Don't judge the outcome of your surgery by the first few weeks, or maybe even the first few months. You will be asking a lot of your spirit and body, but it will be sooooo worth it. Try to find comforting things to replace the comfort food gives you. If you can afford a massage, or nice lotions, or tickets to an event you want to go to.... things to get you through the first month or so, until all your clothes get too big Once some of the weight is gone, a new world will open up for you!
Old 11-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Oh wanted to add that it makes me happy to know you've been reading posts here, and that helped you make your decision. I did the same,in fact I had never heard of the surgery I eventually chose until someone posted about it on this forum. So now I continue to post for many reasons, but one of them is to pay it forward. You never know who might be encouraged by what they read here.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:07 AM   #4

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Congratulations on your decision. I hope to see you posting here!
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmarie
WOE: low carb
Thanks for the welcome. I am busy trying to get some things done now before surgery that I know I won't feel like doing after surgery. Things like putting up the Christmas tree, working, cleaning. I am going to make this Saturday my day. Getting my hair done, pedicure, maybe visit one of my friends. I have a massage gift card that my son gave me for my birthday. I will use it sometime after surgery. Like you said, Jesse, I am going to have to come up with some things that are comforting besides food. I do love to read, scrapbook, crochet and shop! I am a caregiver by profession, and I have not always been good at caring for myself.
kimmarie is offline   Reply With Quote