Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sinderstorm
Stats: all time high
What do you wish you'd known/done prior to your surgery?

I have made the decision to get the gastric sleeve after 15 years of fighting with my weight realizing that this is something I cannot do with diet alone. My husband is on board, and my mom and uncle have had great success with thier bypasses, so I have seen firsthand both the limitations and possibilities of the surgeries.

I will be paying out of pocket, and have 6-9 months before we'll have our finances together to get it done. What do you wish you had done during your pre-surgery time, or what are you glad you did do? As much as I wish that I could get it done next week, I'm trying hard to educate myself and be as prepared as I can be for the procedure and how my life will change afterwards.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Mair
Stats: 350/269/180
Start Date: Sleeved 12/26/2013
I don't really have anything I wished I had done because my husband had it before me and I pretty much learned from him. Start learning to chew your food to pulp, sip but drink a lot of water. Stop drinking 15-30 min before a meal and 30 min after. Good to just make it a habit. Good luck!
Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
I'm glad I was mentally prepared that the first few months could be difficult. My surgeon told me several times that you need three months to feel "normal". I was very fatigued, struggled to drink, needed IV s for dehydration (but only once, I learned my lesson) could only eat a bite of food here and there, had a stall at three weeks ... but since I knew some of this could happen, I was able to get through it without buyer's remorse. By three months the sleeved life was going extremely well and only got better as each pound slid off. Over two years later, I still have a moment in each day when I feel profound gratitude for this incredible life changing tool. I my sleeve.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Know the *realistic* expectations of life post op. Know that it doesn't just fall off as fast as you assume it would or as fast as it looks like it did on other people. Know that there will be a period of horrible horrible days in the in the first several months. Know that there will be stalls, long stalls, along the way. Know that it requires a lifelong change in diet, exercise, and habit because once the initial "magic" wears off it gets very hard to maintain.

My WLS was/is a huge success, but along the way I let a few things slide and once you do it's very hard to return to the status quo. Don't let sugar back in. Don't let high fat back in. Don't let high carb back in. You'll be fine maintaining without all those things, but once you decide you can have them in moderation it's hard to return to a life without them. And moderation increases the longer you enjoy them... what might have been a bite or two a year ago becomes a whole slice today...
Old 09-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
When the big weight loss is over, when the people stop telling you how amazing you look, when all the hype is over...then you have the rest of your life to maintain. Losing the weight was a walk in the park compared to how difficult keeping it off is! I agree with everything Heather said. Don't let your guard down. Success in the long run requires you learn good habits early out and also that you don't slide back into old routines. Every time you have to go back and lose a few pounds you gained it gets a little more difficult and takes a little longer. Back in the first few months after WLS I was losing a pound a day. Now? One pound a week is sometimes all I can get - and that is with proper eating and regular exercising... WLS saved my life but now it is totally up to me to not go back to the dark side...
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #6

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
The only thing I wished I had done is not waited so long
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
The only thing I wished I had done is not waited so long
That too - absolutely!!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LadyV
Stats: Not where I wanna be, damnit!
WOE: Atkins/SB
I was sleeved on Oct 6th....the truth
I wish I had know
1)That it would be so had to drink in the beginning
2) that you have to kind of figure out where your tummy , now actually your pouch, it located at
3) Head hunger...you think your hungry but your not...it's your head, you have to learn the difference
4)There will be some pain, just because it's done laperscopcally, it's still major surgery. You get NO brownie points for not taking your pain meds...if you need them take em!!!!
5) That I would be so so tired...you have to regain your energy
make sure you are mentally prepared and take it one day at a time...you may come home and have gained weight..because of the gas they use, the gas in you and your swollen....it will soon drop.
LadyV is offline   Reply With Quote