Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Oriane
Stats: 323/284/180
WOE: Low Carb/VSG 8/18/2014
Had my VSG surgery monday...whew

Hi All! I posted here about three months ago, I believe, because I was in the process of moving from doing low-carb to preparing for WLS. My experience with low carb has always been improved health and general well being, and I've only ever had any dieting success with low carb ways of eating. Everything else was a huge failure. That being said, I got halfway to my goal so many times and then lost my motivation. Some slipup would turn into a 6 month fall off the wagon, the weight would come back, etc. I was in a decades long cycle of living low carb/falling off/coming back/relosing the same 50 pounds. And never getting to a healthy weight because I need to lose over 100. Sooooo I researched the heck out of WLS, and picked sleeve, attended 5 months of classes and nutrition visits (Kaiser really makes you get educated, which is good). I finally had the surgery on Monday last week, approximately 5.5 months after I said the words "I want to learn more about WLS" to my doctor.

It's been a bumpy road. The surgery was smooth and while there was some pain, it was mostly gone after 3-4 days. I'm slowly getting back to a new normal. I eat/drink tiny amounts of food a day, and that means big changes in how I shop, dine, spend my time, etc. I have so much time to fill now that I am not continually food-driven. I'm thinking I need to be more active, but for now I just walk as my calorie level is so low as yet that I don't have a lot of energy. My daily routine involves sipping water, eating a few spoonfuls of food, napping and walking. My husband and I are working through the changes and taking it one day at a time.

I want to post here more and learn from you all. Yes the weight is coming off but there's more to this than the weight. The feelings that caused the weight to come there in the first place (eating for comfort, or pleasure, or boredom or stress) are still there and I feel them a lot more now because I can't soothe them with food.

Good to know there are people with a low carb background to talk to. Thanks for making me welcome here.

Kim

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
For me the first three months were all about incredible amounts of change, and then things became more automatic. Two years later being sleeved is normal and my other obese life and it's continual eating seems very distant. Congratulations, you are embarking on a great adventure!
Jesse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Chrystee
How bad was the pain? I'm looking into it now.. I am the same.. I know low carb/paleo eating is right, and I do great, then gain it all back..
Chrystee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AshleyDillo
Stats: 360/160/176/150 (highest/lowest/current/goal)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: RnY 7/7/2009 (@320 lbs) LCHF 7/12/2014 (@220 lbs)
Everyone's experience with surgery is different. I had gastric bypass surgery and honestly had zero pain. I didn't use any of the IV on demand pain meds during my hospital stay and I didn't use the prescription pain meds I was given when I got home. I was shocked how little discomfort I had. The worst issue I had was some soreness in my stomach muscles as I was afraid I would injure myself that I kept myself upright and tensed up a lot.
AshleyDillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thinr4me
I had RNY and had very little post op pain. Came home with liquid Percocet and used it the night I got home, more for "discomfort" and sleeping than anything else. It's still in my medicine cabinet 4 years later. Everyone is different.
thinr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
I had some episodes where the pain was an 6 out of 10, the first couple of days, but not for very long. The worst was when I got dehydrated at about day 9 and began dry heaving and could. not. stop. even after they got an IV going at the hospital. I was super fatigued for the first month. But all of that is long behind me, and forgotten pretty much by my 3rd month post op. Small, small price to pay for all I've gained. I my sleeve.
Jesse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
The pain is so slight and temporary in exchange for what you get...I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:19 AM   #8

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystee View Post
How bad was the pain? I'm looking into it now.. I am the same.. I know low carb/paleo eating is right, and I do great, then gain it all back..
I didn't have pain. I had discomfort from the gas and some tenderness from the manipulation through the ports. But no pain. I didn't take pain medicine beyond the first day home.

But then I have a pretty high tolerance for pain.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:44 PM   #9

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Congrats Kim!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #10

Gallery: Chrystee
ok, I've had two c-sections, and stopped the percocets after a couple days..
Chrystee is offline   Reply With Quote