Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: erika1228
New Here - Not Losing

Hello. This is my first post here. Let me give you some history. I had gastric bypass in 2013 and lost 13 pounds...yes you read correct..13 pounds. I have recently started a low carb diet trying to get on track with weight loss. My physician is supervising my diet and will do some labs next week to make sure I do not have some sort of metabolic disorder (and to ensure the surgeon actually did perform gastric bypass. Since I have been on low carb, I have only lost 3 pounds in the last month. WAYYYY less than normal. My question is - can artificial sweetners hinder weight loss? I drink a TON of coffee per day (6-7 cups with 4 splenda in each). I am wondering if this could be the issue if not a metabolic issue happening. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated. I know I should be losing more as I am exercising and following a strict diet (no more than 20 carbs, 8 glasses of water, and 1000 calories per day). I did low carb several years ago and lost a lot of weight very quickly, so I am not sure what is happening this go round. Thank you.

Ema
erika1228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2014, 03:21 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Erika-
I'm so sorry you're struggling, but I need to ask whether your surgeon had any explanation for your failure to lose more than 13 lbs after gastric bypass?

The reason I'm asking is that my sister had WLS (gastric sleeve) a couple of years ago, and for the first 2 months, she lost exceptionally slowly and was upset. Her surgeon told her that happened with some of his patients but she'd lose better soon. Sure enough, within the next month, she began losing very well.

Didn't you have follow up with your surgeon, and didn't he/she have any reasons for your failure to lose more weight? It's my understanding that WLS would override any metabolic issues--which is why it's so successful for many people who cannot lose weight.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
As a fellow gastric bypass patient I'm completely perplexed as to why you only lost 13 pounds. I lost that the first week or two. No explanation from your surgeon?

Do you trust that he really did the surgery? You need to have a scope because that's my first inclination (were you by any chance self pay?). Metabolic disorder or no, you should be losing with the reduced intake and malabsorption regardless.

Tell me what you eat/drink in a typical day. Be specific.

This is highly suspicious!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:37 AM   #4

Oh and no, I don't believe it can. I drink tea with splenda all day long and I lost over 130 pounds.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

My surgeon - gosh he was a hard pill to swallow. I told him at my 2 week post op apt that I didn't feel any restriction and he said "that's not possible". He then told me I needed to exercise two hours per day to get my metabolism up. I'm sorry, I know exercise is important, but I cannot devote more than an hour a day to exercise. I just don't have any more time than that. My family doctor wants to do a barium swallow to test for actually having the surgery, but I cant do that until I have different insurance (I am on my husbands California HMO now and I am in TN). After my bypass surgery, I didn't lose a pounds once I passed to the soft food stage. Those 13 pounds happened during the post op liquid stage. My typical diet now consists of the following:
Breakfast - protein shake 160 calories, 2.5 grams of fat, 35 g of protein
Lunch - Salad or tomato soup
Snack - cheese slices or cottage cheese
Dinner - another protein drink or a small portion of fish with vegetables.

Today thus far I have only had a protein drink and cheese and its 6pm. I just don't understand this...I am lucky if I get in 1000 calories and still nothing.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

oh I and I was not self-pay. My insurance paid for it. As soon as I have different insurance, I will move forward to see if he actually did the surgery...I am doubtful.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

The doctor told me it was failed because I was not exercising long enough (2 hours) and I must have been cheating on the diet, but I swear I followed it to a "t'. This just doesn't make sense. I have been on a diet for a month now, and the scale is barely moving.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #8

I didn't exercise a lick the first year.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #9

Contact your insurance company that did the surgery. Contact the hospital and get op records.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
People lose weight all the time without exercising.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:19 AM   #11
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I've never heard of a WLS patient being told to exercise 2 hours a day!

I did not have WLS, and I have a very slow metabolism. My endo told me that exercise would 'help' spur my metabolism--but the difference is so minor that it really doesn't make much difference in terms of weight loss in the long run.

For example, during my weight loss, I had surgery twice, and both times I could not exercise for a month. I continued to lose at the same slow rate as when I was exercising, eating the same amount.

Exercise is great for overall health, but it doesn't do much for weight loss.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AshleyDillo
Stats: 360/160/176/150 (highest/lowest/current/goal)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: RnY 7/7/2009 (@320 lbs) LCHF 7/12/2014 (@220 lbs)
Was there any soreness after your surgery? How many incisions did you have? I can't believe you didn't lose more if you actually had gastric bypass, especially because of the malabsorption that comes with it!

I read an article on CNN about WLS hypnosis..maybe that's what your doctor did? I'm kind of kidding..but maybe not. Supposedly for WLS hypnosis you go through the entire pre-op program up to and including preparation for surgery. They take you in as if you're having the surgery and instead do the hypnosis and it tricks the brain into thinking you actually had the surgery. Maybe your doctor tried that and your brain didn't fall for it? Not trying to make light of your situation or anything..but it's hard to explain the lack of losing otherwise!
AshleyDillo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

re:

I was incredibly sore after surgery and actually developed an infection at one of the incision sites. I had five incision sites (he did is laprascopically) I am pretty sure he did some type of surgery just not gastric bypass. A month after the surgery I contacted his office and asked them to check the op. report to see if anything was amiss and nothing was.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:36 AM   #14

It's honestly perplexing. If you are eating like you say you are there's no reason you should not be losing, even without exercising. Rule out anything metabolic, although you should be losing with that even post WLS.

Have a barium swallow, have an egd, and be prepared to look into getting a lawyer. If he didn't do the surgery but the op report says he did then there's all kinds of falsification going on. The OR staff doesn't work for the surgeon, nor does the hospital so they would be separately liable as well.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:37 AM   #15

If you'd like to have some accountability in your current weight loss efforts, please feel free to join over in the daily threads!

There are a couple of them.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I agree with Heather. If you had this surgery you would know it! I mean, the discomfort with eating and the recovery time...something doesn't add up. Go to another doctor and find out what's really going on. There was absolutely no way I couldn't have lost weight those first six months at least!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #17

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Horror story from Mexico, kaiser patient went to Mexico because sleeve wasn't covered by kaiser at the time. Came back and didn't lose, and didn't have much restriction.... went to kaiser docs and they found a piece of mesh in her completely intact stomach.

Not knocking Mexico, that's where I had my sleeve and no regrets, just illustrating that I've actually heard stories of surgeons not really doing surgery.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

re:

Well, I had a bunch of labs done...and no insulin resistance present. However, my synthroid dose had to be lowered (I have hypothyroidism). This is the first time in 14 years my dosage has had to be adjusted. As soon as I can, I am going to get the barium swallow.