Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
WLS Wagon August 2014

Wow! We must all be pretty busy!

Goals for August, Anyone?

I'm just trying to clean up my eating and exercise as much as I can without bothering my knee. I'm hoping to drop six pounds or more this month. I'll be going back to work soon and that will help because I won't have food available every minute... I'll also probably be busier, which will help. I'll be pre-portioning my food a lot, too, which I think will help.

Check in, Everyone!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Okaaaaay... Another question for contemplation:

What is your biggest challenge with losing weight and/or keeping weight off? What do you to to try to combat this issue?

My biggest challenge is avoiding eating for a bunch of reasons other than true hunger. Also, I (still) have equated eating certain foods with comfort, which is a terrible habit that resurfaced over a few years. How do I fight it? Well, every day I start over and once I get into a groove of things it does get easier. For me, the big thing is to not start saying a little of this or that is okay (of serious trigger foods), because before you know it I'm really in trouble.

What about you!?!?!?!?
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
I climbed mountains ! I could stay here forever - or at least until cold weather sets in in a few weeks!!!

I'm carrying bear spray! The first mountain we did 7.5 miles up and around a mountain. Found a waterfall.

The second was a 2 mile nothing but uphill climb! The picture shows the kind of "trail" it was...

The last picture is the view from the living room. See the structure at the top? That's where I hiked to!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140801_100401.jpg (48.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20140802_090149.jpg (71.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20140802_094132.jpg (57.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20140801_110043.jpg (62.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20140802_094505.jpg (51.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20140802_143542.jpg (55.1 KB, 12 views)
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow! Beautiful pics, Heather!!! Wish I was there climbing with you! (Continue to) Have Fun!!!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 220/130/120
Beautiful pics, Heather!

Hi all! I went for a bariatric checkup this week. I'm a little anemic. I'll be working on that. The surgeon said I have surpassed my 18 month goal he had for me already! I want to keep losing and toning.

Also, win! I tried on motorcycle boots yesterday. The tall pair not only fit my calves, but it fit my calves over my jeans! This is a 'beyond my wildest hopes' thing I never thought to achieve. So, yep, you betcha I bought those suckers =)

I am VA Beach bound next week! I've been walking, hiking, jogging, and exercising my heart out so I'll be as tone as I can be in my swimsuit.

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Got home from our road trip last night at 11pm. Had a great trip with one snafu, we ended up in a priceline hotel in Toledo Ohio that was a dump! Even better, we woke up Saturday morning to find a note shoved under the door that the water in Toledo was contaminated and we shouldn't drink it or shower. Well wasn't sure I wanted to shower in that particular bathroom anyhow, so brushed our teeth with bottled water and got into the car for the final 11 hour leg of the journey. Feel bad for the people of Toledo, they woke up Saturday morning to find out they couldn't even make a cup of coffee. DC was great fun and I love traveling with my now young adult children. They are awesome travel partners, even in the face of icky hotel they spent the night cracking jokes about it and laughing hysterically. Foodwise, I'm pretty sure I never hit my protein target any given day, and I am up 3 pounds. Since my ankles are now cankles from water retention, I expect some of it to go away this week.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: joyful48
WOE: atkins
crap amd more crap!

So many issues that I don't know how to deal . Have been walking/ jogging for about 6 weeks, Now my back has been acting up again, I am not losing weight either GRrr!!! So not good . Got to change!!!

Ready to get it done no matter what!
joyful48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #8

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Here's the photo I promised
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_965774331969537.jpg (22.8 KB, 46 views)
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Wow you look awesome !! love the dress!!
Old 08-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Here's the photo I promised
You look gorgeous! Love the dress, looks fantastic on you.Hope the concert was a fun evening.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

HT to answer your question my biggest challenge is getting enough fluids. (Hence the cankles I am currently experiencing, due to long car ride and not enough water). I still have to work at getting a minimum of 64 ounces a day. At two years out I suspect this is going to be a continuing challenge. It's like my thirst went away with the surgery. And sometimes it's not just an absence of thirst, but almost a revulsion towards drinking. I have to switch it up a lot. SF chai latte is my go to at home, and diet ice tea when I'm out usually works, but plain water, sometimes my stomach is just no.no way. even if I really need the fluids.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:13 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey Joyful - I share your frustration! Between my knee and my on-again-off-again eating issues losing is a great big problem right now. One of my doctors said - and I believe - that losing weight is 90% what we eat and 10% how we move/exercise. We are what we eat. Soooo, I need to eat better all the time, and especially after 8PM. Today is a new day of a new week of a new month. Time for changes, right?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:18 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow Mary! You looked amazing! Hope the concert was fun! I bought a somewhat fancy dress while in PA but I feel like I need to lose about 10 or 15 pounds before I wear it. My birthday is on the 21st - I might think about wearing it then if I'm feeling thinnish that day... Hope I can look as nice as you did!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Jesse - How did I miss that you were away on vacation? Listening to all you did one thing came to mind - would you have been able to do even half of that a few years ago? If you're like me, absolutely not! Isn't change great!?!?!

As for liquids, that sounds like a problem. I guess you've done a lot to combat it - finding things you do like that you can tolerate and then making sure to drink, whether you feel like you want it or not.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Wow, vava voom Mary. You look great.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Hi Jesse - How did I miss that you were away on vacation? Listening to all you did one thing came to mind - would you have been able to do even half of that a few years ago? If you're like me, absolutely not! Isn't change great!?!?!

As for liquids, that sounds like a problem. I guess you've done a lot to combat it - finding things you do like that you can tolerate and then making sure to drink, whether you feel like you want it or not.
I'm wondering if I will ever get over being grateful for all the changes. I hope not, an attitude of gratitude makes my life richer. Yes, imagine 12 hour days, taking in as many sites as possible in DC, 140 pounds heavier . I still think stairs are my most gratitude filled moment... I live in a typical suburb, not too many stairs, but whenever I'm in an urban area, especially using public transportation, I notice a lot of stairs! None of which scare me. Years ago we went to DC when I was around 270. I remember having to pause, chest heaving and lungs burning, and catch my breath more than once, while climbing to the Lincoln Memorial. Not this trip I my sleeve.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post
Beautiful pics, Heather!

Hi all! I went for a bariatric checkup this week. I'm a little anemic. I'll be working on that. The surgeon said I have surpassed my 18 month goal he had for me already! I want to keep losing and toning.

Also, win! I tried on motorcycle boots yesterday. The tall pair not only fit my calves, but it fit my calves over my jeans! This is a 'beyond my wildest hopes' thing I never thought to achieve. So, yep, you betcha I bought those suckers =)

I am VA Beach bound next week! I've been walking, hiking, jogging, and exercising my heart out so I'll be as tone as I can be in my swimsuit.
Enjoy all the fruits of your hard work!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post
Beautiful pics, Heather!

ohhhh - aren't boots awesome! I still have to get wide calf boots - my legs are just big... but still! I went from owning NO boots to 2 pair of boots to the knee and 3 pair of ankle boots (and a new pair is on the way...). Congrats on buying some that you love!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #19

loving the positivity starting this month...
Old 08-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thinr4me
My biggest challenge is making myself and my WLS needs PRIMARY!

That ended yesterday

I wasn't putting myself first, let life get in the way and needed to put the brakes on that behavior. Went to a nutrition class and support group last night and am refocused and won't be returning to making myself a low priority any more.

Amazingly, NOBODY starved in my house last night because I wasn't there to make dinner!
thinr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Nice to see you, Linda! Ironically, my issues are stemming from my me me ME shift since weight loss. I've got that immediate gratification thing in my head and I'm working at stopping it. Patience is a virtue. I can do this...so can you & so can all of us!
Old 08-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Nice to see you, Linda! Ironically, my issues are stemming from my me me ME shift since weight loss. I've got that immediate gratification thing in my head and I'm working at stopping it. Patience is a virtue. I can do this...so can you & so can all of us!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It is a balance to strive for. Ironically I honestly NEVER EVER realized I was an emotional grazer until AFTER my WLS! My support group leader just said on Monday night that this is so common. And stress is stress be it good stress or bad stress.

Most of my most recent upheaval comes from meeting a wonderful man 3 years ago. Good stress but VERY stressful as we, in middle age, try to live together under one roof with both of us being used to being in control of our own homes, etc...it's taking a great deal of compromise. Thankfully he is a man who always strives for healthy eating and exercise habits so when I say that I have to do (fill in the blank) I don't get pushback.

But over the past year I have had periods of time when I have eaten terribly just because I was so busy with he and I combining houses (there are 3 homes involved, long story) and family deaths/responsibility that I returned to my old habit of not being to politely say "no" and doing what I had to do to stay healthy.

My clothes are a tad snug and that's not acceptable to me. My support group was the BIG "oomph" I needed to help me refocus and online support also needs to be part of this.

This is a lifelong journey to never return to my preop weight!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

The fact that you're here and you know what's led to where you are is a great first step. I wish my support group from my WLS surgeon here (in my town) was...better. It used to be pretty good - lots of post-WLS patients and the doc and nutritionist would come and it was encouraging. It has changed to - usually - a few people pre-op or considering WLS, the nutritionist, and usually one or two post-op people who give some advice to the newbies... I don't mind going, but I just don't find it as helpful as I did in the past. Just one more reason why these boards are so important to me. I'm glad you're back.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The fact that you're here and you know what's led to where you are is a great first step. I wish my support group from my WLS surgeon here (in my town) was...better. It used to be pretty good - lots of post-WLS patients and the doc and nutritionist would come and it was encouraging. It has changed to - usually - a few people pre-op or considering WLS, the nutritionist, and usually one or two post-op people who give some advice to the newbies... I don't mind going, but I just don't find it as helpful as I did in the past. Just one more reason why these boards are so important to me. I'm glad you're back.
My group used to meet every 2 weeks so if I couldn't get to one I could get to the other and sometimes I would go every 2 weeks. But they changed it to once a month and now the group is too big at times and if you miss one you have to wait another month. For me, support is support, be it online or in person and I am so grateful to have both options. It's all about MAKING the time and making it a priority - my "lightbulb" came on!

Thanks for the "welcome back"! I am glad you are getting the support you need here!
thinr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: barbinga2
I don't have an in person support group at all - the ones around me won't even answer emails or phone calls so I don't even know if they even exist any more. I've never heard a word about the one with my surgeons office, but it's really too far for me anyway. :-( I'd love to have one to go to.
barbinga2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Girlies! Well I have had 3 decent days in a row.as I suspected I dropped 8lbs of water since Monday. I went to the gym Mon and today and will go Fri. Its just disheartening cause I was doing so well till my injection for my back wore off. Now my BPM wasn't over 85 , feel like I am spinning my wheels.

Linda~ I am in the same boat you are as far as meetings go . I never thought I would ever have to deal with gaining my weight back ...well not all of it but almost half of it.That has me so disgusted with my self. Fighting back!!! just gotta do it!!

230/ 123~ back 171 /120/ULTIMATE GOAL 115
Judd dd334 ud1668 start day 12/15/14

Nov~~160
Dec~ 171
Dec~ 12/22
Dec~ 12/29
Old 08-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Jesse~ you are awesome ! what an inspiration.!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful48 View Post
Jesse~ you are awesome ! what an inspiration.!
Thanks you're awesome too. Persevering in the face of chronic back pain requires a lot of mental and emotional strength.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Start of a beautiful day here in Minnesota I am on my front porch sipping a sf chai latte, surfing the internet and fixing to read the paper. DH works every other weekend, and had this one off, so that makes me We are going to a party and bonfire tonight, and then to my parents lake home tomorrow. Thursday we went out to dinner with some dear friends, and my friend posted a picture of us on Facebook. I keep looking at the photo over and over. Is that really me? Even now I still am surprised sometimes how different I look. I my sleeve.