Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AshleyDillo
Stats: 360/160/176/150 (highest/lowest/current/goal)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: RnY 7/7/2009 (@320 lbs) LCHF 7/12/2014 (@220 lbs)
I bake my chicken wings, but only because it is less messy that way at my house. I throw them on a foil lined pan to bake them.. Then I run the broiler to crisp up the skin. I buy the Tyson big bag of iqf frozen wings from Sams and just follow their directions. You can even cook them from frozen. Super easy. Make your own sauce from hot sauce and melted butter. I avoid the prepared wing sauces because they usually have hydrogenated oils.

Vitamin Shoppe and GNC carry Isopure. I have never seen it in a grocery or a big box store. Both of those should be able to order it if they don't have it in stock.
AshleyDillo is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: barbinga2
Thanks Ashley!

I used the unflavored isopure. I was just trying to remember if the chocolate HT likes is the isopure one.

Anyone have any good shake recipes for unflavored? I need to come up with something new to use it for if I'm not going to do my fruit shakes.
barbinga2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Heather. Sorry I mixed your names up - yours is the yummy sounding lunch. Still having trouble with broiled chicken but I can do rotisserie so will pick that up today too.

I've GOT to add some things to my list that don't require much prep. Though, I'm also going through WLS recipes too trying to come up with some new things to make. I was out yesterday, feeling a tad discouraged and hungry. Not a great combination when my daughter asked to run through McDonald's. I thought how easy it would be to get a half of a double cheeseburger. I didn't of course. But I DID get the fish from their sandwich. Stats weren't too awful.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #94
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbinga2 View Post
Thanks Heather. Sorry I mixed your names up - yours is the yummy sounding lunch. Still having trouble with broiled chicken but I can do rotisserie so will pick that up today too.

I've GOT to add some things to my list that don't require much prep. Though, I'm also going through WLS recipes too trying to come up with some new things to make. I was out yesterday, feeling a tad discouraged and hungry. Not a great combination when my daughter asked to run through McDonald's. I thought how easy it would be to get a half of a double cheeseburger. I didn't of course. But I DID get the fish from their sandwich. Stats weren't too awful.
I pretty much don't eat out at all. Just easier that way. If we do go somewhere it's a sit down casual place like a local mexican food restaurant, a home cooking family style place or a steak house. They usually have something I can amend well enough to eat. Fast food joints have salad and chicken, but I really wouldn't call either one of them edible. If the family wants fast food I usually skip and eat at home, or grab something from the purse stash.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

So HT is not around and I'm going out in a bit - Heather I know you like the mint isopure too right? How is the chocolate? They have that in the store here.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #96

I've only ever had the mint cookie and peanut butter cookie. I love the first, but didn't care for the second. I imagine the chocolate is good. It's pricey and I already have a good chocolate (I only ever use for baking) so I have no need to try it. If you do, let me know how you like it!
Old 07-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #97

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Yes! I love the fit frappe big train mocha!! Yumm!! The vanilla, IMO, is not nearly as yummy and I love vanilla, so, not sure what is going on there. The Espresso is good too. But by far, my fav is the Mocha!

Quote:
I didn't even realize y'all had started this thread. A great read. I read every entry.

Questions. Maryposa you mentioned a Big Train product. Mocha I think. Good? I have a skewed schedule so breakfast doesn't usually happen. A good drink for mornings would be great.

To everyone. What protein products do you love?

HT your chocolate shake...did you say it was isopure also? Still haven't ordered mint. Stores don't carry it here. I've got to find another protein drink I can stand. Your chicken, avocado, hummus meals sound so good. Shopping for it today. Do you just eat the hummus? Not on anything? Stupid question maybe but do you just use canned chickpeas?

I've been having boars head chicken, muenster and a piece of bacon rolled up. It's pretty good. Also been really enjoying a small homegrown tomato seeded, peeled and flattened with a large amount of tuna salad, a little seasoned breadcrumbs, butter and broiled.

FINALLY starting to feel better. I haven't had a full blown, going to fall on the floor sick episode in about two weeks. I've been able to do more things. Was in Fl with my mom and did all kinds of shopping, went to the beach and went bowling!!!! The closest I've been to feeling normal in 5 months. VERY excited about that. Doing a full grocery shop today so will see for sure then. Must say, though, had a very hard time eating away from home. Didn't eat nearly enough. Even when home having a hard time getting that dang protein up. Working on it.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #98

Chicken wings... I love them. I do bake my own, similar to what has already been described.

Wing stop... assuming you are watching carbs, you can get them naked or garlic parmesan. I also get the veggies and ranch!

You can also get them naked at chillis

Pizza Hut wing street is mhe... ok... the garlic parm at wing stop is way better!

Funny thing is, I don't like hot wings lol I love BBQ ones but usually the sugar is too much.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Thanks y'all!

So I went to GNC to get the isopure chocolate and ended up coming home with GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Chocolate. Anyone ever used it or know if it's ok? They had it mixed and cold to sample a taste and it tastes REALLY good. It's very light and thin. They had it mixed with water but I will mix with 1% milk. It's 20g a scoop so with the milk will be perfect. (label says 60g but that's for 3 scoops).

I just want to make sure it's ok ingredient wise. I've only ever used 100% whey isolate and this is a blend of isolate (first ingredient) and hydrolyzed whey.

Serving Size 3 scoop(s)
Servings Per Container 17
Amount Per Serving % DV
Calories 280.00
Calories from Fat 10.00
Total Fat 1.00 g 2%
Saturated Fat 0.50 g 3%
Cholesterol 15.00 mg 5%
Sodium 300.00 mg 13%
Potassium 450.00 mg 13%
Total Carbohydrate 7.00 g 2%
Dietary Fiber 1.00 g 4%
Sugars 2.00 g
Protein 60.00 g 0%
Calcium 280.00 mg 28%
Micronized Amino Acids: 8.50 g 0%
Glutamine (as Whey Protein Isolate and Micronized Glutamine) **
Arginine (as Micronized Arginine and Whey Protein Isolate) **
Leucine (as Whey Protein Isolate and L-Leucine) 7.70 g 0%
L-Carnitine (as L-Carnitine L-Tartrate) 500.00 mg 0%
Amino Acceleration System 239.00 mg 0%
Carbogen **
Aminogen **
Patented Bioactive Polypeptide enzyme ststem **
Enzyme Matrix Blend (Amylase Protease 4.5 Protease 6.0 CereCalase Peptidase Alpha-Galactosidase Glucoamylase Bromelain **
Protease 3.0 Lipase Protease AM Invertase Lactase)

Other Ingredients: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey), Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Polydextrose, Lecithin, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium
Old 07-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

I wonder why wings settle well and other chicken doesn't. My stomach just likes the crispy skin - moister I guess? Publix has an unbreaded fried wing in the deli which is what I got to eat on the bus the other day and they were pretty good. Just a little blah, had I had ranch or something they would have been fine.

Thanks for the breakdown about the restaurants Maryposa. Garlic parmesan sounds so good.

I just got back from the grocery store and looked for a reduced sugar bbq sauce. The only thing I found was a light verson by heinz. It had 3g of sugar for 2 T I think. I wanted it for a fake crust bbq chicken pizza.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #101

Quote:
I wonder why wings settle well and other chicken doesn't. My stomach just likes the crispy skin - moister I guess? Publix has an unbreaded fried wing in the deli which is what I got to eat on the bus the other day and they were pretty good. Just a little blah, had I had ranch or something they would have been fine.

Thanks for the breakdown about the restaurants Maryposa. Garlic parmesan sounds so good.

I just got back from the grocery store and looked for a reduced sugar bbq sauce. The only thing I found was a light verson by heinz. It had 3g of sugar for 2 T I think. I wanted it for a fake crust bbq chicken pizza.
Oh 3 grams is great! I'll look for that
Ya wings are easier for me because of the fat making the texture much less dry
Old 07-25-2014, 10:06 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Do you drink the mocha hot or cold?

I've got the mocha in my cart - anything else that anyone thinks is a must have before I check out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Yes! I love the fit frappe big train mocha!! Yumm!! The vanilla, IMO, is not nearly as yummy and I love vanilla, so, not sure what is going on there. The Espresso is good too. But by far, my fav is the Mocha!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #103

There's directions to make it hot but I never made it that way. I love the frappe taste/texture so i make it that way
Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #104

Quote:

3 grams for 2T is too high for me. Especially if it contains actual sugar. It would set off my vicious cycle of sugar craving. I would make my own. I use tomato paste, chipotle chili powder and sweetener. Sometimes I add different seasonings depending on the food I want it with. This one is GREAT on meatloaf fyi.

Wings are fattier, therefore moister. Chicken breast tends to be drier and sticks more. A lot of newly post ops can't stomach chicken breast. I had to cut mine small small and eat it with tzatziki to juice it up.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #105

Quote:
Thanks y'all!

So I went to GNC to get the isopure chocolate and ended up coming home with GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Chocolate. Anyone ever used it or know if it's ok? They had it mixed and cold to sample a taste and it tastes REALLY good. It's very light and thin. They had it mixed with water but I will mix with 1% milk. It's 20g a scoop so with the milk will be perfect. (label says 60g but that's for 3 scoops).

I just want to make sure it's ok ingredient wise. I've only ever used 100% whey isolate and this is a blend of isolate (first ingredient) and hydrolyzed whey.

Serving Size 3 scoop(s)
Servings Per Container 17
Amount Per Serving % DV
Calories 280.00
Calories from Fat 10.00
Total Fat 1.00 g 2%
Saturated Fat 0.50 g 3%
Cholesterol 15.00 mg 5%
Sodium 300.00 mg 13%
Potassium 450.00 mg 13%
Total Carbohydrate 7.00 g 2%
Dietary Fiber 1.00 g 4%
Sugars 2.00 g
Protein 60.00 g 0%
Calcium 280.00 mg 28%
Micronized Amino Acids: 8.50 g 0%
Glutamine (as Whey Protein Isolate and Micronized Glutamine) **
Arginine (as Micronized Arginine and Whey Protein Isolate) **
Leucine (as Whey Protein Isolate and L-Leucine) 7.70 g 0%
L-Carnitine (as L-Carnitine L-Tartrate) 500.00 mg 0%
Amino Acceleration System 239.00 mg 0%
Carbogen **
Aminogen **
Patented Bioactive Polypeptide enzyme ststem **
Enzyme Matrix Blend (Amylase Protease 4.5 Protease 6.0 CereCalase Peptidase Alpha-Galactosidase Glucoamylase Bromelain **
Protease 3.0 Lipase Protease AM Invertase Lactase)

Other Ingredients: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey), Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Polydextrose, Lecithin, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium
I've heard some good things about it. I would NOT use the 3 scoops at once as that's unnecessary to get THAT much protein at once and there are debates about whether your body would even absorb/use it all or not. 60 grams in one sitting is too much. Cut it in half and you'll be good.

It seems this is marketed as a muscle gainer, which is okay. It does have some fiber in it so don't let it sit as it will tend to thicken (polydextrose) although it has some emulsifiers in it to seemingly prevent it.

My first initial thought was WOW that's high calorie, but then I saw it was for 3 scoops and 60 grams. If you cut it down to half (1.5 scoops) you still get 30 grams of protein and it's only 140 calories - which is a good ratio. The other numbers are good too, especially when you consider you are cutting them in half using the 1.5 scoops instead.

The other items below protein are unnecessary, and I assume are added for muscle gain/health. I'd be interested to see what effect those items actually have.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #106

Yesterday

B - SF Iced Butterscotch toffee coffee with cream; 2 slices bacon
S - More coffee with cream, this time hot, mocha
L - crack slaw
D - wing stop? Garlic parm wings and LC veggies with ranch
Old 07-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #107

Today

B - SF butterscotch toffee iced coffee with cream, 1 chicken wing
L - 2 bacon and a few bites fage with sf blackberry syrup
D - more chicken wings, veggies with ranch

I was hungry yesterday when I ordered my wings and thought I'd eat more today. I still will have some left lol oops all that wing talk made me hungry lol
Old 07-26-2014, 07:22 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

The emulsifiers must work because they keep a fresh mixer cup in their little fridge to give sample tastes and it was very thin. The cup was about half empty and I was there towards the end of the day so I'm assuming it had been mixed for a while. That's part of what appealed to me and the reason I've been able to tolerate nectar, because they aren't thick. Thanks for looking at it! I'm excited about it. Mixed with water it tasted like a fudgesicle. I'll probably use a heaping one scoop - added to milk it will give me my 30 and make it last longer. It was $66!! Though he matched the $53 isopure cost.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
3 grams for 2T is too high for me. Especially if it contains actual sugar. It would set off my vicious cycle of sugar craving. I would make my own. I use tomato paste, chipotle chili powder and sweetener. Sometimes I add different seasonings depending on the food I want it with. This one is GREAT on meatloaf fyi.

Wings are fattier, therefore moister. Chicken breast tends to be drier and sticks more. A lot of newly post ops can't stomach chicken breast. I had to cut mine small small and eat it with tzatziki to juice it up.
I found a recipe to make a sauce with Montreal seasoning that I'm going to try this week. I got the Heinz just in case. I wanted it for a protein crust BBQ chicken pizza recipe. I think it called for two T. It might be enough to summon the raging cravings in me too. We'll see. The other BBQ sauces had 10 and 15g sugar per 2T! I knew they were high but not that bad.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #110

Ya, ketchup and bbq sauce have more sugar per tbsp than ice cream
Old 07-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

7/26/14 - Going to try to post each day

L: My new chocolate shake
D: 2 slices Boars Head roast beef, havarti and mayo
S: 1/2 oz dry roasted peanuts
Old 07-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #112

B - SF butterscotch toffee iced coffee with cream / calorie countdown milk
L - small sausage patty, cheese, part of an egg, flax muffin
D - probably spaghetti squash with thick meat sauce
Old 07-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Today

B - SF butterscotch toffee iced coffee with cream, 1 chicken wing
L - 2 bacon and a few bites fage with sf blackberry syrup
D - more chicken wings, veggies with ranch

I was hungry yesterday when I ordered my wings and thought I'd eat more today. I still will have some left lol oops all that wing talk made me hungry lol
Instead of fage I had chia pudding
Old 07-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

I've missed posting the past few days, but that's because I've been bad..

Only ate once a day, so it was severely undereating!

However, I did eat out for the first time since starting back up again..Hooters. I opted for the steamed shrimp. I'm sure salad with grilled chicken would have worked too, but I haven't really been eating the veggies to keep my carb counts super-low. I did snag one of my mother's wings though..she ordered them naked so they do have the option to not be breaded there. And she did the Cajun seasoning which was more of a dry-rub. I was satisfied with half of the shrimp and my one wing.

I believe I'm firmly in ketosis now..stinky breath and pee. And I found out I last weighed in on July 12 at 220...I weighed again this week and I'm at 202. I guess this way of eating really shocked my body from what I was doing before and I dropped almost 1/3 of the excess weight I've gained in the past year in 2 weeks!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

L: GNC Max 60 Shake
D: Caprese Chicken (gasp I cooked - wasn't that great though)
S: Watermelon - just a little but :-)
Old 07-29-2014, 05:49 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Marinated a flank steak and did deconstructed fajitas with it...beef has more calories so it is helping get my calorie counts up! It tastes good to eat a mix of things together to get blended flavors. I had been sticking to simple single item foods out of the laziness of having to track all the separate ingredients.

Still haven't eaten off plan at all. Only artificially sweeteners have been what is in my vitamins ans my protein shake.

Got a trip to Disney World coming up, so I need to start thinking about options for easily portable foods that don't need constant refrigeration.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:13 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

B: 12oz coffee with 1T hwc
L: 3oz marinated flank steak with 2T salsa and 2T sour cream
S: 12oz coffee with 1T hwc, and if I want solid food I have a mini Babybel light cheese and a hardboiled egg
D: I will be roasting a chicken, so I will have 4oz or so of the meat and probably steal all the crispy skin
Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #118

B - sf hazelnut iced coffee, 3 slices bacon
S - 5 carbs worth of carrots with home made ranch
L - spaghetti squash with thick meat sauce and cheese
S - hot sf mocha made with cream
D - cheese and 8 cherries
Old 07-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Wayyyyyyy not enough food today. Hate to cram later in the day but think I need to - posting to make myself accountable.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Back to the drawing board. I had to take the GNC max 60 back - four tries and each time i had major nausea. He said that some react to the amino acids (?) that way, so I exchanged for the isopure dutch chocolate that I went in the other day to get. Just had a shake and, guess what? Major nausea. And it tastes kind of salty! Dang it. I just seem not to be able to handle anything "milky". I can drink milk with no problem, so it's not lactose intolerance. I don't know what it is, but I know these didn't work. I've GOT to find a shake that works because my protein counts are still way too low.

I'd been saying I was going to get the mint cookie one, but now I'm wondering if it wouldn't make me sick too. Any suggestions?

Battling a very emotional family issue and didn't eat until almost 8 tonight.

D: Fresh tomato with tuna, light seasoned breadcrumbs and butter broiled - at half
S: Isopure chocolate shake with 8 oz 1% milk