Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MerryJ
How did you decide

That you wanted the surgery and made that first step?
MerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ View Post
That you wanted the surgery and made that first step?
It all started with a long dreamed of trip to Italy. I began the planning and saw myself sitting on some bench while my husband climbed a bell tower. And I felt so sad thinking about everything I wouldn't be able to do on that trip and how I was only living half the life I wanted to live because of my weight. And so I began the journey and two years later I am happier than I ever dreamed I would be. Turns out I had put aside things and hopes and dreams that I didn't even realize I let go. After I lost 130 pounds in a year I went on that trip to Italy for 15 magical perfect days and on a enchanting summer morning Iclimbed a mountain, and turned around to check out the view of the sparkling Ligurian Sea, and I'm not making up a word of this, church bells began ringing in the little town below and my heart swelled with gratitude. Without my sleeve this day wouldn't have happened. I my sleeve.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I had thought about it for over ten years, but never had the money. Then, my mom offered to pay for a lap band. I went to the seminar and wasn't impressed - I knew I could "cheat" it. (Right there I knew I wasn't ready, too, if I was figuring out how to get around it...) I dropped the idea and went on with my life... Fast forward about 8 years when I had a blood clot (from being so overweight and sedentary) which broke apart and caused me to have pulmonary emboli all around my heart. There I was, 375 pounds, in the ICU, unable to get out of bed, with 3 young children who couldn't see me due to ICU rules. The room had ceiling -to-floor windows, and all but the bottom two feet were mirrored, so I could see them, but they couldn't see me. There those little kids were, on hands and knees, waving to me and blowing kisses, while I sat in bed waving back, not sure if I'd live or die (for the first few days, anyway...).

Can you imagine, even after THAT, I couldn't manage to lose more than 20 pounds without giving up and gaining it back?

Fast forward about a year later, and I was on vacation at Baltimore's inner Harbor. Mind you, we had to drive because I would not try to fly at my size; how embarrassing THAT would be... It was a warm day, and we had to walk maybe 1/4 mile to get to - where else - a restaurant... Well, that walk was the most painful of my life. Literally every cell in my body was screaming by the time we got to the destination. I was on 2 different blood pressure meds at the time, and truly believed I would have passed out if not for them. When we finally made it back to our car and I hauled myself behind the steering wheel I knew. I knew I had to try something else, because I was fairly certain I was dying. My kids were still very young. I was relatively young, but I was going to die and leave them without a mother. That was June of 2010. July I went to an informational seminar about WLS. Thank God my insurance at the time covered 75% of the cost. I had the surgery on 11/08/10. I lost 160 pounds the first year and an additional 46 pounds the second year. I exercise faithfully and I eat very carefully 90% of the time. I can now run 1/4 mile without stopping...I can run a whole mile without stopping... I can run and play with my kids. I can walk into 99% of stores and buy clothes off the rack. I am not on blood pressure meds, and haven't been for several years. It hasn't been easy, and I learn as I go...but I would still do it over again in a heartbeat. I am a totally new person and I am forever grateful for gastric bypass. It isn't a "cure;" it is a second chance that I absolutely needed. Thank God I did what I needed to do; I wouldn't be alive today if I hadn't done it.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 05-17-2014 at 11:41 PM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
I wrote a post a while ago titled why I wanted WLS. It was a letter I had to submit to my clinic.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Oriane
Stats: 323/284/180
WOE: Low Carb/VSG 8/18/2014
I am in the final weeks of my pre-op program. With luck, I will have my surgery in late June.

I have toyed with this idea for nearly 10 years. I always thought I could do it myself, and low-carb was probably the closest that I ever came. I truly do believe that low carb is the way humans should eat, and I feel best when I eat this way. But my loss on low carb has always been very, very slow. I have made it to 50 pounds lost, twice, but just lost focus and motivation because it took so long and because (let's be real) I was still overweight after that 50 pounds came off and the dedication it took to get there was something I just couldn't sustain. Bottom line is I need an additional tool and the restrictive nature of surgery is it.

I look back on my entire adult life, and I have never been not-overweight. I need to take extreme measures because my health and my happiness are in danger of going down the tubes. I was told by my doctor that if I have the surgery now, when I am still relatively young and healthy (45, with the beginning of high BP, high cholesteral and pre-diabetes) that I have a good chance of avoiding long-term health problems. I decided that since I have health insurance that will cover it, and plenty of sick time saved, that I shouldn't wait any longer.

Once I decided, I knew it was the right decision. I'm excited and looking forward to the changes.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriane View Post
the dedication it took to get there was something I just couldn't sustain.
The dedication required post op, especially the further out you get, is infinitely more important and much much more difficult to sustain.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Wendy T
Stats: 250.6/200.4/145 5'6" 50 years young
WOE: VSG
Start Date: June 2, 2014
I've had problems with my weight all my life, but it wasn't until the last 2 years that I became "obese". I started thinking of WLS over a year ago, meanwhile still trying to lose weight on my own, but only gaining. Finally told my husband I was doing this, and started the process of the monthly doctor weigh-ins/talk in December 2013. My surgery is in 5 days now
Wendy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Wow, Wendy! Congrats! Your life is about to change in a great big way!!! All the best to you!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Y0-Y0
Stats: H265/PO260/SW254/CW148/G165(1st)/G140(Rvsd)
WOE: VSG
Start Date: 5/2/13
For years I didn't think I would even consider surgery. I tried everything under the sun. When I was younger I could lose weight easily but I always gained it back becuase I didn't stay on program. Something that I think we can all realte. As I got older I found it harder and harder to lose weight. I did do well on low carb the first time. I lost a lot of weight and it was the first program that I coudl really stick to. I followed it religiously for 5 years and really learned a lot about heating whole and healthy foods that have stuck eith me to this day, but I still slowly started to gain wegiht back. After a few years of slow steady gain I got scared and went off low carb to try other things to try to stop the weight gain. Carb Addicts, WW core, WW points, etc, but not matter what I tried I just started gaining more and faster. I was making healthy choices when eating all the time but I was just gaining and gaining. I couldn't cut back portions/calories enough to lose weight and be able to sustain it. That was my achilles heal. Portions. I had to eat so much to be able to be satisfired where I didn't obsess about food and ultimatly fall off the wagon.

That is when my PCP suggested weight loss surgery. I was reluctant but started reseaching it and looked into it for months before going to my first information session. The farther I got into it I decided I thought it was the right choice for me. I understood that It wouldn't be an easy fix and that I may not succeed with this either, but I decided that at this point of my life it was worth the try. I was 52 and had stuggled with my weight all my life and I felt for the firt time that I was starting to run out of time to really start enjoying life. I was sick of not being able to do things I wanted becuase of my weight. So I finally pulled the trigger and had surgery last year. So far I am loving my decision I am finally at a weight that I feel free to really enjoy life for the the first time. I was lucky. I had a pretty smoth process with everything sp far, that is not the case weith everyone. I am at the point that I am starting to think about maintaining. That is the scrary part. That is the part that I have never been able to do before and it scares me like you don't belive, but I am thankful that I have this added tool to help me work towards having a healthy life for the rest of my life.

I don't think it is necessarily the right choice for everyone, and only time will tell if it was the right choice for me. Do your research, think about the consequences and the benifits. Make sure you are committed to making healthy food choices and make the decision that is right for you.

Good luck!

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
-Albert Einstein
Y0-Y0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: northernstar
Stats: 314/180/160
Start Date: RNY June 25, 2012
I had looked into surgery but it always scared me. I even posted a thread here, years ago. I took surgery very seriously and decided it wasn't for me, I could do it on my own if I really tried.

Three years later my sister OD'd and I realized how unhappy I was in my own life.

The very next day I heard a radio show about WLS. They laid out the cold, cruel fact: people who do not have WLS have less than a 5% chance of ever losing the weight and keeping it off. Not that WLS is a magic bullet (it's NOT) but the show slapped me in the face with one very clear message: WLS was my only option to lose weight.

Nearly 140 lbs lighter, two years later, it was absolutely the right decision.

Good luck with making your decision. Ask lots of questions.
northernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #11

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Thanks for sharing, northernstar, Y0-Y0 and all!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #12

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
MerryJ I don't have time right now to write much, but you can check out my youtube channel (it's in my sig).
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
1999, saw Roseanne Barr talking about her surgery made up my mind then and there I was sick of yo-yo. Being a self pay made the situation much easier as I did not have to go through Insurance hoops.I made the decision in February and had the surgery in May of that year. Right after I had my surgery Carny Wilson went public with hers. Of the three I'd say I fared best.At 145 today I still wish and continue to try and reach my goal weight of 130. I am currently working on my Master's degree in Vocational Education. I never would have gone back to school at 285lbs. I've been to Turkey, Greece and other points in the Medetteranian and this year I will be going to Viet Nam and Guatamala. Just being able to fit behind a desk and sit safely in an airplane cannot be underestimated!
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote