Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-surgery/)
-   -   WLS Wagon ~ May 2014 ~ (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-surgery/829620-wls-wagon-may-2014-a.html)

Maryposa 05-01-2014 12:05 PM

WLS Wagon ~ May 2014 ~

It's May!

joyful48 05-01-2014 12:33 PM

Ok where is everybody? Well now that my dh has started his new job last week, I have been getting up with him at 4 am. I want to fall asleep about 3 pm . I went to bed at 10 woke up at 2 (BR) went back to sleep then up at 4am. My dh nite before last caught me sitting up on the couch with my computer on my lap at 1.30 am out like a light LOL. got up and went to bed and fell back to sleep!

Jesse 05-01-2014 08:47 PM

Not much to say, still being brought very low from the plague, haven't been this sick since I had pneumonia five years ago. Hoping a weekend of rest will restore me.

joyful48 05-02-2014 04:56 AM

Jesse~:console: Sorry to hear of your illness . Girlie get better soon!! When I get colds or pneumonia It's bad cause it is,a very rare thing for me. Yes rest is what you need! Take care of yourself.

myyellowstang 05-02-2014 06:28 AM

April Recap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by myyellowstang (Post 16859991)
I need to set some April goals...

1. Run a minimum of 50 total miles in the month of April. With my IT issues I only had a total of 21.7 running miles in March and 13 of them were in one swoop. This is a stretch goal, but not outside of my capabilities. If my injury persists I'll reevaluate.

2. Remove unnecessary foods and calories from my diet. This will require some persistent thinking and attention, but sometimes I find myself eating or wanting to eat out of habit versus hunger. That snack right before bed... habit. Somehow along the line I trained myself to eat something in bed to "avoid" hypoglycemia in the middle of the night. If I eat correctly for dinner, the hypoglycemia doesn't happen, therefore I don't need to prevent it...

3. Lose 5 pounds in April, working towards my ideal racing weight. Ultimately I'd like to be back down at or around 140 again. 135 would be optimal but not mandatory. Not for vanity's sake, but for performance sake. I perform better at a lower weight, it's a proven fact. I also think it couldn't hurt my it issues.

4. Declutter my physical and emotional environments. Physical is a given. It's spring cleaning, I do this every year lol. Emotional - that's a bit tougher. I have some things that are weighing me down, literately and figuratively. And I'm using them to avoid things that I enjoy because people (person) that triggers those feelings *might* be in attendance. My baggage. I need to dump it.

1. I hit 68% of this goal. I'm okay with that. I was aiming for 50, but shooting for at least more than March. I hit 33.8 miles and 14 running activities so I'm good. I will shoot for 50 in May. :)

2. This continues to be a work in progress. I have a habit to "need" to eat something at bedtime. I've cut quite a bit of other unececsary calories, but this one I am having trouble. I'll find myself eating something and then immediately after I think "seriously, why did you just do that?". Usually it's a protein bar, sometimes a protein drink followed 10-15 minutes later by a protein bar so it's a lot of calories that add up.

3. Today I am 5.6 pounds less than my highest weight in April. Before I call it good though, I am only 2.4 pounds lower than my starting weight in April. Still down though so it's a good thing, but I can't call this goal achieved.

4. Physical decluttering is always a work in progress. I did thin out my clothes (again) and worked on the bedroom. The computer/craft room is not cluttering up again, which is a miracle because that's where everything goes until it finds a "real" home. Emotional decluttering - I haven't even gone there yet. This is probably going to be an ongoing long long goal.

I'm going to marinate on May goals and come back and report them. A few will be repeats or new renditions of the above.

myyellowstang 05-02-2014 06:31 AM

Last night was power yoga. So far this week I've done something every day.

M - 4.16 mile run
T - aqua class
W - 4.1 mile run
Th - power yoga

Today is a run day. Tomorrow is a 5k. And Sunday is a "long" run day, realizing that my long run will be anything over 4 miles :laugh:. I don't want to increase too much so I might just keep it at 4 for the long run and just do a hilly route. 4 miles again for next week and maybe increase my long run to 4.5 or 5 miles... baby steps so I don't increase or overtrain too fast and reinjure my IT band!

Hot Tamale 05-03-2014 12:21 PM

Running/walking, eating right, and just being so overwhelmed at the moment at work and home. That's me. O,o

myyellowstang 05-04-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myyellowstang (Post 16896495)
M - 4.16 mile run
T - aqua class
W - 4.1 mile run
Th - power yoga

F - 3.1 mile run. Ironically NOT what I was shooting for, but the .25 mile warmup walk to the park (and again .25 back to the car) plus the 2.6 miles I ran on the trail just worked out to that distance. I was shooting for a shorter run because I was also running Saturday.

S - 3.1 miles. I got 4th in my age group. I have to add a disclaimer that there were only 7 in that group lol, but I did sprint to the finish to pass that lady in front of me just in case she was in my age group. She was. And I beat her by 5 seconds. :) Because I was sprinting at 5:15 there at the finish. Yeah, that didn't last long lol. Just long enough to cross the line. :stars:

There's no smiley for passed out cold at the finish... :hyst:

Contemplating going out for a SHORT 2 mile run, but I should rest and just do the 5@5 (but only do 4 or 4.5) with the local running club tomorrow AM. Yes, that means 5 miles at 5am.

Maryposa 05-04-2014 07:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had panda express for a late lunch today. I was worried about the cals/carbs but pleasantly surprised (I asked for no sauce). I was full with a few pcs leftover. Second pic shows how much was left. Anyway thought I would share, since the stats were pretty good IMO for fast food.

For the whole thing:
Cals 300
Protein 36
Carbs 8

Maryposa 05-04-2014 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
... and here is why I was out and about and lost track of time and ended up having a fast food LATE lunch lol

I was out playing.

myyellowstang 05-05-2014 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryposa (Post 16899052)
I had panda express for a late lunch today. I was worried about the cals/carbs but pleasantly surprised (I asked for no sauce). I was full with a few pcs leftover. Second pic shows how much was left. Anyway thought I would share, since the stats were pretty good IMO for fast food.

For the whole thing:
Cals 300
Protein 36
Carbs 8

Interesting. I've never had Panda Express because I assumed it was like all other Chinese food and loaded with carbs and sugar. What kind was it and how did you ask for it modified beyond no sauce? We have one in town. If I ever have to eat out for whatever reason it would be Chick-Fil-A 4 pc grilled nuggets and a sm fruit cup (with leftovers!) but this might be a second option as well. What concerns me is that there are about 135 calories unaccounted for with your carb and protein stats (both 4 calories per gram) which makes me worry it's too high fat for me.

myyellowstang 05-05-2014 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryposa (Post 16899057)
... and here is why I was out and about and lost track of time and ended up having a fast food LATE lunch lol

I was out playing.

FUN!

myyellowstang 05-05-2014 06:57 AM

Got up super early to get in a run with the local running club at their weekly 5@5 run. This was my first time out at this particular run/route so I went out 1.75 and turned around. That would have given me 3.5 miles total. The plan was to add an additional 1/2 mile by backtracking 1/4 mile. But my sleep addled brain did the math wrong and I only made up a 1/4 mile total. So I finished with 3.75 miles. Not bad for before the sun even came up. :)

myyellowstang 05-05-2014 09:53 AM

I found a new running energy/electrolyte source. This morning was my first time to try it and I am thus far 100% sold on it! It uses "Superstarch" which is a non-GMO gluten free cornstarch that was created originally discovered for children with life-threatening energy imbalances. No sugar, so no inevitable crashes afterward. It's made to slowly fuel you during your run because it's processed so slowly. I know triathletes that use it to fuel a 4 hour workout on 300 calories worth!

My run this morning was just shy of 4 miles and was about 43 minutes. Lately I've been having "lead" legs when running but I tried a partial pack (65 whole whopping calories worth of fuel) and it was awesome! No stomach upset like ordinary fuel (or even Gatorade!) gives me, no crash afterward (I got up at 0415 this morning, it's now 1145 and I'm still feeling good and awake!), no jitters, no sugar rush. It's a little pricey when you just look at it, but considering how much "workout" bang for your buck you get it's actually less pricey than gels, GUS, sports beans, chews or electrolyte fluids because you need so much MORE of it to get the same results.

I think between this new sports nutrition find and Mint Cookie protein I'm set for life! :D

chewiegand 05-05-2014 12:18 PM

Hi. Happy May. Just marking my spot.

Maryposa 05-05-2014 05:24 PM

Huh that is weird I thought I posted earlier. Oops on the not posting what the dish at Panda Express is. It is Grilled Teriyaki Chicken. It has 13 grams of fat. It does have the skin on, but if you peel it off to reduce the fat, it would be pretty boring lol.

myyellowstang 05-05-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryposa (Post 16900361)
Huh that is weird I thought I posted earlier. Oops on the not posting what the dish at Panda Express is. It is Grilled Teriyaki Chicken. It has 13 grams of fat. It does have the skin on, but if you peel it off to reduce the fat, it would be pretty boring lol.

My meals usually are pretty boring. :) I'm okay with that!

I just looked at their website. The shitake kale chicken breast looks decent in stats. But I wonder if the kale is bitter?

Maryposa 05-05-2014 11:46 PM

I also meant to say chickfila is one of my safe bets too, but they are closed on Sunday!

myyellowstang 05-06-2014 06:32 AM

Another pound down. :D

Last night I had to take my kid to school for a school board recognition thing for band. Dropped off at 615, picked up at 710. In between instead of shopping and spending money (gasp!) I had found a new little park right down the road from the school with a gravel walking trail and walked about 7-8 laps in that timeframe. On top of my 4 miles this morning.

chewiegand 05-06-2014 06:48 AM

I need help with a decision. The gist of it is:
So I have been at my job just shy of 6 months now.(May 18) Yesterday I was asked into the bosses office and offered my pick of positions. One is for a new "residential" company they are trying to get going. The other is stay and learn the invoicing part of the current admin job, and continue doing what I have been doing plus taking on the invoicing once I learn. Either one will mean more work and more money. The new position will be solely responsible for the whole shootmatch---from taking calls to scheduling to payroll, taxes, invoicing, etc. I'm stressed out about this decision. Having owned my own business in the past, gives me a great sense of obligation to the owners and realizing how much the position can make or break them. Dh said there is no down side to the new position but I tend to look at the negatives more than him. Men don't have the "guilt-obligation" gene, I guess. Any thoughts?????

myyellowstang 05-07-2014 01:33 PM

Those who order through Netrition... how fast is delivery? I need a new source for my mint cookie crack.

Hot Tamale 05-07-2014 04:44 PM

It is pretty fast. I would tell you to order over the weekend to get it before the next weekend so it doesn't sit in a warehouse over the weekend - at least if you decide to get anything that could be affected by heat in addition to the protein powder...

Maryposa 05-07-2014 06:12 PM

I think it depends where you are... I am in So Cal and it takes a few days, there are faster shipping options but I only use the $5 flat rate shipping. I have sooo many Netrition Shaker bottles because every time my order qualifies for the free item to chose from, I get the shaker bottle. I use one every morning for my coffee/breakfast lol I know HT gets the tshirts

Jesse 05-07-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewiegand (Post 16900843)
So I have been at my job just shy of 6 months now.(May 18) Yesterday I was asked into the bosses office and offered my pick of positions. One is for a new "residential" company they are trying to get going. The other is stay and learn the invoicing part of the current admin job, and continue doing what I have been doing plus taking on the invoicing once I learn. Either one will mean more work and more money. The new position will be solely responsible for the whole shootmatch---from taking calls to scheduling to payroll, taxes, invoicing, etc. I'm stressed out about this decision. Having owned my own business in the past, gives me a great sense of obligation to the owners and realizing how much the position can make or break them. Dh said there is no down side to the new position but I tend to look at the negatives more than him. Men don't have the "guilt-obligation" gene, I guess. Any thoughts?????

Well me, I would pick whichever position interests ME the most, which type of work is likely to get me out of bed and ready to go. Now I'm also a person who likes novelty and challenges, but I DO NOT like high levels of stress, so I look for that balance. (And yeah I know it sounds ironic that a high school special ed teacher doesn't want a job with high levels of stress :), but I guess the stress in my job is stress I can usually handle and it recedes from time to time so I can catch my breath for the next wave) but again did I mention I would choose what is good for ME, not the boss and not my husband.... I want to be happy, so it's again, all about choosing what's right for ME. Soooo, go for it, choose what is right for YOU, figure out which one suits YOU the best, and if you are happy, it will work out best for everyone :)

myyellowstang 05-09-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryposa (Post 16900592)
I also meant to say chickfila is one of my safe bets too, but they are closed on Sunday!

Sundays are when I crave the SF lemonade the most! :sad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewiegand (Post 16900843)

I always go with what will interest, advance or help ME the most. Ultimately you are the one that needs to be happy with your decision, and you may be a good fit for one position, but is it a good fit for you? Everything I do pretty much is determined by how much it will advance me in combinations of my pay, my knowledge, my skills and my goals. I won't take a position just to benefit my employer unless it provides me some benefit as well. Now... the only exception would be if I *had* to accept a position to keep a job and I had no other options on the table, but that doesn't sound like the situation here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Tamale (Post 16902766)
It is pretty fast. I would tell you to order over the weekend to get it before the next weekend so it doesn't sit in a warehouse over the weekend - at least if you decide to get anything that could be affected by heat in addition to the protein powder...

I'm not out (yet), so I'm in no hurry. But if it was going to take a week or two to get it I wanted to go ahead and get an order in. :) And everything is going to be affected by the heat, it's Texas lol. But no, I won't be getting any melty or chocolatey things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryposa (Post 16902840)
I think it depends where you are... I am in So Cal and it takes a few days, there are faster shipping options but I only use the $5 flat rate shipping. I have sooo many Netrition Shaker bottles because every time my order qualifies for the free item to chose from, I get the shaker bottle. I use one every morning for my coffee/breakfast lol I know HT gets the tshirts

What qualifies you for the shaker bottle? I pretty much won't buy anything else from them but the protein, I don't really eat many processed or "snacky" items but instead I eat a lot of veggies and fruits. Now I do like the dehydrated fruits (not the sugary kind but the crispy kind - I wonder if they have those...).

myyellowstang 05-09-2014 06:49 AM

Slacker week. I haven't run since Monday morning. I did put in over 5 miles that day and had some discomfort in my knee/hip after chiro Monday evening so I rested it a few days. Yesterday and again this morning was thunderstorm so I'm hoping to get out for a small run today. Tomorrow I have a 5k and Sunday I want to (try) to increase to 5 miles.

myyellowstang 05-09-2014 06:50 AM

Oh, and no aqua because I'm covered in Rock Tape from the chiro to support the hip. He did Graston and dry needing again. I didn't miss that at all. :stars:

Maryposa 05-10-2014 04:02 PM

Heather, I am not 100% sure, I think spending $50? Maybe Heather knows. But I easily do that. I buy my vitamins/supplements, erythitol sweeteners/coffee syrups, protein there. I save up a list rather than buy one item at a time.

Jesse 05-10-2014 04:23 PM

Enjoying my Saturday. Did a little shopping, at a store that brings me by the hospital where I had my surgery. Everytime I go by, I say a prayer of thanks for my sleeved life.:heart: I bought my own Mother's Day present :) my husband asked me what I wanted and I decided I wanted a linen upgrade, he had to work today, but I had time to shop so I bought new luxurious pillows with lots of heft and 500 thread count sheets. Can't wait to go to bed tonight!

Jesse 05-11-2014 02:40 PM

Celebrated Mothers Day by doing laundry and putting some bedding plants in my flower bed. The predicted overnight lows for the coming week are in the 30s:stars: I hope my new flowers don't freeze.:sad: DH is home from work and is going to make dinner, then we are off to a movie. Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!