Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
My son graduates next week. His cap and gown is sitting on the dining room table. Whether I'm ready or not, the Times they are a changin.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Wendy T
Stats: 250.6/200.4/145 5'6" 50 years young
WOE: VSG
Start Date: June 2, 2014
Hi gang.

I'm getting sleeved on June 2nd..... 5 days!!! I'm excited, scared and nervous, but I know it will be worth it.
Wendy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy T View Post
Hi gang.

I'm getting sleeved on June 2nd..... 5 days!!! I'm excited, scared and nervous, but I know it will be worth it.
It has made what was a good life even more incredible. The benefits were both expected and but also surprising. Good luck! The adjustments at first can be tough, it is after all major surgery,but after a few months you will be AMAZED by your new life. Here is my advice for the first weeks, indulge yourself in whatever physical pleasures you can to replace the pleasure you once got from food. I got pedicures, asked dh for frequent foot massages, bought luxurious lotions, etc. Now my life is filled with so many good things, it's like food was the only melody I heard, but now I get the whole orchestra
Old 05-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Nice analogy, Jesse. In my case, my weight was a blaring radio blasting screaming heavy metal every waking moment of my life... Having WLS was like someone turned the radio wayyyyy down so I didn't have to constantly listen to it (my hunger) and then they turned off the heavy metal and replaced it with my own personal playlist of favorites so food isn't always on my mind - I just think of it once in a while - and usually in a good way. It isn't easy - it takes hard work to stay on-track - but WLS gave me the 2nd chance I needed to be successful. Maybe that's a bit scattered, but trust me, it is a very, VERY good thing! Good Luck!!!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 05-28-2014 at 05:06 PM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #65
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy T View Post
Hi gang.

It will be! Congratulations and welcome! Please feel free to join in ALL our conversations and threads!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #66

Three hot and humid miles yesterday. I ran them at a slow slow pace because I'm working on building and aerobic base through heart rate zone training. What would have been a 5+ zone run was a 3.7 so progress! 13 min miles.

I have a 7 mile run planned this Saturday at (wait for it) 545 am with the local running club group.

Hip and knee holding up well!

Back pain resolving. I have it RockTaped all up and it helps! Two 4 inch wide strips about 12 inches long from bra line to below the hips on either side of my spine. It's for support. I heart my sports chiro.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #67
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm glad your pain is lessening. I, however, somehow aggravated my right knee a few days ago. It HURTS!!! No running and only light walking today and yesterday. It is improving, but slowly and I hate that!!!
Old 05-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #68
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Wendy T
Stats: 250.6/200.4/145 5'6" 50 years young
WOE: VSG
Start Date: June 2, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
It has made what was a good life even more incredible. The benefits were both expected and but also surprising. Good luck! The adjustments at first can be tough, it is after all major surgery,but after a few months you will be AMAZED by your new life. Here is my advice for the first weeks, indulge yourself in whatever physical pleasures you can to replace the pleasure you once got from food. I got pedicures, asked dh for frequent foot massages, bought luxurious lotions, etc. Now my life is filled with so many good things, it's like food was the only melody I heard, but now I get the whole orchestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Nice analogy, Jesse. In my case, my weight was a blaring radio blasting screaming heavy metal every waking moment of my life... Having WLS was like someone turned the radio wayyyyy down so I didn't have to constantly listen to it (my hunger) and then they turned off the heavy metal and replaced it with my own personal playlist of favorites so food isn't always on my mind - I just think of it once in a while - and usually in a good way. It isn't easy - it takes hard work to stay on-track - but WLS gave me the 2nd chance I needed to be successful. Maybe that's a bit scattered, but trust me, it is a very, VERY good thing! Good Luck!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
It will be! Congratulations and welcome! Please feel free to join in ALL our conversations and threads!
Thanks all!
Wendy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

So I'm sitting here at our desk in the family room, looking at the picture of the 4 of us taken at my daughter's graduation. I am wearing a size 24W dress, black of course, and a cardigan sweater (a nice one, but it's June for crying out loud). I remember hoping it would be unseasonable that day, because I knew I needed to wear something to cover my fat arms. There was some mercy for me, because it was colder and overcast, so I could pretend I was wearing the cardigan to ward off a chill. (unlikely I was cold with over 140 extra pounds to keep me warm ). One of my friends whose daughter was also graduating, was wearing a beautiful, seasonably approriate dress, and she looked lovely. (She took the picture I am looking at.) I felt sad when I saw her, because I wanted to wear something that made me feel pretty on this special day, but like countless other times, I willed myself to put aside my feelings and not let them ruin a happy occasion. 3 years later I can feel all of it, when I look at the picture. One year and one week later, I had my surgery. Now two years out from surgery, I'm still having dress problems when it comes to my son's graduation next week ~ too many cute choices! I've settled on a dress that is the approrpiate amount of sexy chic for a 52 year old Mom and teacher. All the wonderful things that happened the day my daughter graduated, the pride, the excitement, the nostalgia, I will feel all those things again. But what I won't feel, sadness and yes even shame as I greet the other Moms. I will be proud, so proud of my wonderful son, but I will also have a moment where I can be proud to be me, every facet of me. I love my sleeve
Old 05-31-2014, 11:32 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Finally hot in MinnesotaFor today anyhow. Inventoried my summer dresses and discovered I have several choices for nicer occasions, but throw on go grocery shopping ones are now too big. Brought another armload to the consignment shop. Time to go shopping
Old 05-31-2014, 04:01 PM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

I have a Baker's cyst in my right knee. I haven't done much research yet, but I guess it might go away on its own, or it might require draining or something else... Heather, hoping you have some insight. I wouldn't have known this, but it wasn't getting better - it seemed to be swelling and getting even tighter, and of course, with my history of blood clots, I decided better safe than sorry, so I spent a few hours in the emergency room ruling out a clot.

I am very bummed and worried. Walking/jogging is my main exercise. I do think I aggravated this by climbing stairs (which I won't ever do for exercise again), but I need to at least be able to walk!

And now, because of this and some weak resolve, I've been pretty much eating anything that isn't nailed down. I KNOW what I'm doing, yet I still do it. Pretty much done for tonight, though, and tomorrow I'll be white-knuckling it - back to nothing white (except milk in a protein shake and/or a greek yogurt) - for the forseeable future to undo the crap I've eaten for a few days straight.

I'm very mad/hurt/upset...and my knee hurts, too!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:12 PM   #72

Hmmmm... baker's cyst. Steroid injection, drainage or pt but most resolve on their own. What is probably most important is determining what is causing your knee to over lubricate.

R.I.C.E. Scale back irritating activity and/or find a different activity in the meantime that doesn't aggravate it... Not fun things I know. I hated not being able to run!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:21 PM   #73

Up at 5am to meet my local running club for a group run. All paces all distances, it was an out and back route. Most were doing 8. I did 7 since I'm slowly increasing my long run distance so I don't tick off my ITB again. It's achy, but not hurting so... so far so good.

17.7 miles run for the week. 46.6 miles for the month. I had a goal of 50 and I could have pushed out and did another 3.4 to meet it but I don't want to reinjure again so it is what it is and I'll shoot for next month again. 13 miles more than last month so it's all good.

I also had a 2 hour yoga workshop today too. And grocery shopping on top of all that. I'm beat and just waiting for bedtime lol.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
Up at 5am to meet my local running club for a group run. All paces all distances, it was an out and back route. Most were doing 8. I did 7 since I'm slowly increasing my long run distance so I don't tick off my ITB again. It's achy, but not hurting so... so far so good.

17.7 miles run for the week. 46.6 miles for the month. I had a goal of 50 and I could have pushed out and did another 3.4 to meet it but I don't want to reinjure again so it is what it is and I'll shoot for next month again. 13 miles more than last month so it's all good.

I also had a 2 hour yoga workshop today too. And grocery shopping on top of all that. I'm beat and just waiting for bedtime lol.
Umm I went for a walk around one of Minneapolis' famed urban lakes. It started to rain, does that make it more rigorous? All kidding aside, if dh had suggested this walk after dinner and a movie a few years ago, I would have made some excuse to avoid it. My sleeve lets me say yes
Old 06-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Umm I went for a walk around one of Minneapolis' famed urban lakes. It started to rain, does that make it more rigorous? All kidding aside, if dh had suggested this walk after dinner and a movie a few years ago, I would have made some excuse to avoid it. My sleeve lets me say yes
I love summer rain runs.

Miscalculation in mileage! I was going by Runkeeper because it auto adds. But I looked at my log and my Garmin log and there was 5.6 miles not accounted for!

Goal acheived! 51.59 miles for May!
Old 06-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #76
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow Heather, fantastic on the running! Jesse, a big walk isn't anything to sneeze at, either!

My knee is feeling significantly better. Still no walking for exercise, but at least I'm not dragging it along anymore. I can walk fairly normally. I still have to read up about this... I hope this is just a weird flare-up and it continues to go away.

I'm eating much better today. Had a little come-to-Jesus talk with myself and then watched a few episodes of my 600-pound life. Man, I hate feeling like this. However, I am having a much better day.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #77

Join us in June!