Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: joyful48
WOE: atkins
WLS ~APRIL~~HOP ON EVERYONE

Just thought I would get us started girls!!
joyful48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Enjoyed a day at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn Michigan. They had the actual bus that Rosa Parks was on when she refused to give up her seat. And for something completely different, last night a hooker approached my husband and me in the hallway of our seemingly very nice hotel. That was a new one for us. Just to be clear, we declined.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #3

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Checking in
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:12 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
I don't believe I ever set goals for March. I can't remember any so I'm assuming I didn't. Even if I did I'm sure I didn't achieve them.

I need to set some April goals...

1. Run a minimum of 50 total miles in the month of April. With my IT issues I only had a total of 21.7 running miles in March and 13 of them were in one swoop. This is a stretch goal, but not outside of my capabilities. If my injury persists I'll reevaluate.

2. Remove unnecessary foods and calories from my diet. This will require some persistent thinking and attention, but sometimes I find myself eating or wanting to eat out of habit versus hunger. That snack right before bed... habit. Somehow along the line I trained myself to eat something in bed to "avoid" hypoglycemia in the middle of the night. If I eat correctly for dinner, the hypoglycemia doesn't happen, therefore I don't need to prevent it...

3. Lose 5 pounds in April, working towards my ideal racing weight. Ultimately I'd like to be back down at or around 140 again. 135 would be optimal but not mandatory. Not for vanity's sake, but for performance sake. I perform better at a lower weight, it's a proven fact. I also think it couldn't hurt my it issues.

4. Declutter my physical and emotional environments. Physical is a given. It's spring cleaning, I do this every year lol. Emotional - that's a bit tougher. I have some things that are weighing me down, literately and figuratively. And I'm using them to avoid things that I enjoy because people (person) that triggers those feelings *might* be in attendance. My baggage. I need to dump it.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #5

So. Seriously. I MUST have an addiction. Or am a glutton for punishment.

4/6 Potential 5k (not registered yet)
4/12 5k, potential upgrade to 10k if Lucy doesn't run with me
4/26 Potential 5k (not registered yet)
5/3 5k (with Lucy if dogs allowed)
5/10 5k (with Lucy if dogs allowed)
5/17 5k (with Lucy if dogs allowed)
6/13 Zombie 5k (def, but not registered yet)
8/24 Half Marathon (not registered yet) Yes. An August half in Texas - I *am* on crack.
5/24 Potential 10k (not registered yet)
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #6

2 miler today after work and it felt great! No pain or tightness. THANK YOU WARM WEATHER!

48 more miles to go for the month of April.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #7

I have a photo shoot April 5th and a showcase May 16th! Little Motivators to keep on track.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
I have a photo shoot April 5th and a showcase May 16th! Little Motivators to keep on track.
Sounds exciting! A photo shoot for what? And a showcase? Share!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #9

I'm thinking perhaps a 2-3 mile run depending on weather tonight, then a power yoga class to follow.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Yes, we need more details!

Heather so glad to hear you can get your "run" on again!

Returned safely, to learn that the weather forecast is for 9 - 12 inches of wet snow tomorrow Well maybe that will take distract me from the scary weigh in tomorrow. whatever number awaits me, ready to get back into my healthier eating routine. I made sure there would be healthy options the minute I came home like tuna, milk, greek yogurt and fruit. I started the minute I walked into the house, ignored the pizza my son made, and made myself a sf chai latte. Let the detoxing begin!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #11

The photo shoot is a retro/pin-up shoot outdoors with vintage trains. It's a "trade" (models and photographers exchange their services, no one gets paid but all involved get some cool shots for their portfolios.

The showcase is a charity event but I am invited as a "professional" dancer. It's at a university at the women's resource center and I danced in it last year too. It's a huge show and the other dancers are well-known in my area so it is quite an honor.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Wow Mary, nice!!

Congrats on getting right back to it, Jesse. That will keep you out of trouble!

Heather, congrats on the pain-free running!!

I'm hanging in there, too.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #13

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Ok--I need opinions/advice. I made an apt with a counselor to get to my "food" issues. Went on my ins website to see who accepted my ins and found a name here in my lil town that I recognized. I called and talked to the woman--a social worker not psychiatrist or dr. Then we got to talking a bit and found out she's one of my neighbors---about 1/4 mile up the road--new to Arkansas the last 2 years or so. Now I'm concerned about my privacy and issues getting out into the neighborhood. They don't like us "Yankees" and I don't particularly like them. I have a Wed lunch appt but I'm thinking of canceling. It's convenient but I really don't need her having some wine with them and trashing me. What do you think?
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #14

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Congrats, Mary. I can't wait to see your photos. You will share, right?
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Ok--I need opinions/advice. I made an apt with a counselor to get to my "food" issues. Went on my ins website to see who accepted my ins and found a name here in my lil town that I recognized. I called and talked to the woman--a social worker not psychiatrist or dr. Then we got to talking a bit and found out she's one of my neighbors---about 1/4 mile up the road--new to Arkansas the last 2 years or so. Now I'm concerned about my privacy and issues getting out into the neighborhood. They don't like us "Yankees" and I don't particularly like them. I have a Wed lunch appt but I'm thinking of canceling. It's convenient but I really don't need her having some wine with them and trashing me. What do you think?
One word, although it's not really a word per se. HIPAA. Whatever you disclose is private. If she breaches that privacy and it's reported (if it's in your neighborhood and you find out and report it) she loses her license and is subject to fines and/or lawsuits. Period.

I can't even acknowledge to anyone that someone was IN my facility, let alone say anything about what's going on with them, even if they ask. If a family member calls or comes to the nurse station they can't give out any information without a "code word" that the patient designates, or without verbal permission from the patient.

The Privacy Rule

My opinion? If this person is going to be a new friend to you in the future and you would be uncomfortable with discussing your issues, then I would find someone else. She would probably be very professional, but with a professional/friendship relationship it could be hard for both parties to not cross the counselor/patient lines whenever something hard came up. You might think you were just asking her opinion, but really you would be using her professional services for free. If you only want to have a professional relationship with her and never pursue a good friendship then I would say keep the appointment without worry of TMI getting out into the neighborhood.

Because it's a patient relationship you are protected by the HIPAA Privacy Rule. If you were just confiding in a friend then she's not bound by HIPAA, regardless of her profession.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #16

Power yoga last night. It was storming so no running. Running tonight if the weather permits. Rain is okay. Thunder and lightening not so okay!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #17

3 miler this afternoon. Man I love hot weather lol. No pain! Definitely some cardio/stamina issues as I have to get myself back up to where I was 3 months ago. It's true, use it or lose it... It was a good run today.

And ever the glutton for punishment I put myself on the backup (alternate) list for the local running club's relay team for the 233 mile Capital to Coast run. I'd have just straight up joined the team but I wanted to get back into my groove before committing in case I had a re injury boo hiss. But then I said alternate this year and definite tan member next year. It's a relay so someone is always running while the others "rest" in the van following them. It's about 4 legs of 6-8 lonely miles per person. I got that lol, no biggie!
Old 04-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #18

So, I'm gonna spend April getting myself back up to par and then early May start training for a sub 2:30 August half.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

I've been reading a lot about gut bacteria and it's role in diabetes and obesity. Some studies are suggesting that one of the ways wls puts diabetes into remission is because the flora in our guts changes dramatically. In mice studies they found if they did a fecal implant from skinny to obese mouse the obese mouse lost weight. Interesting. For me, I definitely feel like my body's reaction to food has changed drastically. I thought it was a hormone thing, but maybe it is also related to a change in gut flora. I eat yogurt with live cultures everyday. I'm thinking about ways to add more antibiotics to my diet. I especially want to learn more about this for my daughter. She is not obese, but she struggles with keeping an extra twenty pounds off. We've talked about flipping the obesity switch, meaning once you have 50 or more excess pounds there are metabolic or hormonal changes that set you up for a lifetime struggle. Now she was a kid who had lots of antibiotics making her a candidate for messed up gut flora. Has anyone else been reading about this? How do we increase good bacteria?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Quiet, quiet, quiet in here! I know Heather is probably out running... Where is everyone else!

I'm here, plodding along. Walked and ran 3 miles yesterday inside on the treadmill - can you believe it is already way too hot to be walking in the middle of the day around here? Have I mentioned I really don't like living in Florida? It was not my choice - well, it was, but I did it to be close to family, not because I wanted to live in humidity and too-hot temperatures most of the year. I know, some people would kill to live here, but honestly, I miss the West, or I'd even go to PA or MD instead. Seasons are nice. Especially for Christmas. Anyway...

Chewie - I have to say, I think I'd find someone else. I know about the privacy stuff, but I just don't trust people generally. I have lived in a few small towns (kinda including the one I live in now), and if what I hear about other people is any indication of what they hear about me...well, I'd even drive ten or twenty miles to make sure no one knew who I was... I am a bit on the paranoid side, however...

Jesse - I've also heard some of what you are talking about and I think there's something to it. I know, especially at first, the way my body handled food did seem to be totally different to me. I think of my kids - especially one of them - is already having a terrible battle with weight and food and urges to eat. We see a nutritionist and a counselor as well as her doctor and it is a daily battle. I hate that my kids have inherited my genes in this area...

Mary - Where's the pics? I know, like I'm one to talk, right? I know I rarely post pics - mostly due to the paranoid thing I previously mentioned.

Joyful - How are you doing? Any word on surgery? O,o

NSV - I have been to several doctors in the past week or two. Now, if you listen to my ranting, you know I've been in the process of losing weight since about mid-January. I've lost 16 pounds, and I'm pretty happy with that. Well, first, my plastic surgeon looked me over and said I looked really good and she was happy how stable my weight was. I told her the truth about gaining and now losing, and she pretty much said that's how it is for everyone, all the time, and obviously I knew how to not let it get out of hand. Yay! Then, the other day I went to my gynecologist. The nurse took my weight and bp, etc... I told her I had been trying to lose and she said, "Well there is a 7 pound difference." I said, "Man! I gained 7 pounds since last year at this time?" And she said, "Noooo, you're down 7 pounds!" Then the doc came in. He said he was very happy to see how well I am maintaining. I just smiled. I'm just really glad I started caring again and am working at this. In about 2 months I think I'll be seeing my brother, and by then I'd like to be down to 182. Therefore, I will keep at this!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

HT what a feeling when our weigh ins can be a source of pride instead of the oppressive sense of shame we used to feel. This is can keep us going in the battle to live well!

Friday it snowed 7 inches! Yesterday and today it has mostly melted. The sidewalks were dry today so I went for a walk with my dog. Oh glorious sun! It's only 50 degrees, but the sun was warm on the top of my head. Maybe winter will retreat at last!

HT I identified with your comments about living in Florida, we are different sides of the same coin. We endure the extreme climate because all our family is here. Our kids have grown up knowing their cousins and aunts and uncles. My uncle hosts Thanksgiving every year and their are typically 30 - 40 people there, all relatives that I see several times a year. I would have picked a different climate, but I am happy when we line up all the cousins from dh's siblings on my sofa every Christmas Eve for a photo They range from 30 to 12 and it has been a blessing to be their aunt and take part in their everyday lives. We wouldn't be as close if I ws visiting from down south once or twice a year. Hmmm, I'll try to remember this feeling next January when it's -25 again.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

I don't like to make weight loss goals because of all the failures in the past, but I'm going to make one now ~ it's a new sleeved era and I have better knowledge and tools. My current weight range is 155-158. By my 2 year anniversary for my sleeve, I will weigh 150. My anniversay is June 13th. So I am giving myself over 2 months to lose 5 - 7 pounds. I will need to tighten up my eating and add more exercise. Now that the ice has melted I will walk my dog 4 times a week minimum. I am thinking about using the couch to 5k app, not to start running because my ankle and knee won't permit it (at least not now) but to build up my walking speed and distance. I figured when it was the part of the tape when you jog/run I will walk as fast as I possibly can, thereby getting some interval training. I will also commit to doing my lower body strength training exercises at least 5 times a week.

Last edited by Jesse; 04-07-2014 at 02:00 PM..
Old 04-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I don't like to make weight loss goals because of all the failures in the past, but I'm going to make one now ~ it's a new sleeved era and I have better knowledge and tools. My current weight range is 155-158. By my 2 year anniversary for my sleeve, I will weigh 150. My anniversay is June 13th. So I am giving myself over 2 months to lose 5 - 7 pounds. I will need to tighten up my eating and add more exercise. Now that the ice has melted I will walk my dog 4 times a week minimum. I am thinking about using the couch to 5k app, not to start running because my ankle and knee won't permit it (at least not now) but to build up my walking speed and distance. I figured when it was the part of the tape when you jog/run I will walk as fast as I possibly can, thereby getting some interval training. I will also commit to doing my lower body strength training exercises at least 5 times a week.
That's completely feasible with whole food eating - curing out processed foods and unnecessary simple (twined) carbs! And great plan with the c25k. If you can cycle then that's an interval option too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Quiet, quiet, quiet in here! I know Heather is probably out running... Where is everyone else!

I'm here, plodding along. Walked and ran 3 miles yesterday inside on the treadmill - can you believe it is already way too hot to be walking in the middle of the day around here? Have I mentioned I really don't like living in Florida? It was not my choice - well, it was, but I did it to be close to family, not because I wanted to live in humidity and too-hot temperatures most of the year. I know, some people would kill to live here, but honestly, I miss the West, or I'd even go to PA or MD instead. Seasons are nice. Especially for Christmas. Anyway...

Chewie - I have to say, I think I'd find someone else. I know about the privacy stuff, but I just don't trust people generally. I have lived in a few small towns (kinda including the one I live in now), and if what I hear about other people is any indication of what they hear about me...well, I'd even drive ten or twenty miles to make sure no one knew who I was... I am a bit on the paranoid side, however...

Jesse - I've also heard some of what you are talking about and I think there's something to it. I know, especially at first, the way my body handled food did seem to be totally different to me. I think of my kids - especially one of them - is already having a terrible battle with weight and food and urges to eat. We see a nutritionist and a counselor as well as her doctor and it is a daily battle. I hate that my kids have inherited my genes in this area...

Mary - Where's the pics? I know, like I'm one to talk, right? I know I rarely post pics - mostly due to the paranoid thing I previously mentioned.

Joyful - How are you doing? Any word on surgery? O,o

NSV - I have been to several doctors in the past week or two. Now, if you listen to my ranting, you know I've been in the process of losing weight since about mid-January. I've lost 16 pounds, and I'm pretty happy with that. Well, first, my plastic surgeon looked me over and said I looked really good and she was happy how stable my weight was. I told her the truth about gaining and now losing, and she pretty much said that's how it is for everyone, all the time, and obviously I knew how to not let it get out of hand. Yay! Then, the other day I went to my gynecologist. The nurse took my weight and bp, etc... I told her I had been trying to lose and she said, "Well there is a 7 pound difference." I said, "Man! I gained 7 pounds since last year at this time?" And she said, "Noooo, you're down 7 pounds!" Then the doc came in. He said he was very happy to see how well I am maintaining. I just smiled. I'm just really glad I started caring again and am working at this. In about 2 months I think I'll be seeing my brother, and by then I'd like to be down to 182. Therefore, I will keep at this!
I wish I had been running. It was a crummy stormy rainy yucky weekend. I purged. In a god way though. Went throb my bedroom and got rid of many things. Went through my workout gear and thinned all that out too (AGAIN). My workout dresser (yes it has its own lol) is still stuffed to the brim but at least it's not overflowing into 2 baskets now!

Today is a GORGEOUS day for running. 63 and super sunny. Waiting for my kid to get out (half hour). He didn't tell me he had after school practice until after school and I had a chiro appt. I'd get my run in now but I hadn't planned on having to wait here half an hour so I not dressed for it nor do I have the right footwear on either!

So sit and read about marathon training it is!!

HT after all your struggles I'm so happy to see you rocking this!!!

I'd like to get down to a racing weight of 135-140 so I have a bit to go. I think I ran best at that range. Lol it's all about the running now you know!!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #24

I got in 2 1/4 miles with Lucy last night. Came home, ate dinner, let it settle then went out for a run. I waited a tad bit longer than I'd like as it was cooler (60's) and I like warmer, but it was a good temp for Lucy to run in. She has tooooo much energy. She had me running 8 minute miles that last 1/4 mile home lol.

Average running speed for my miles (walking breaks for us between each mile) was 10:08. So I'm getting back to it, slowly. Now just to work on sustaining it for LONGER distances!
Old 04-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

I've been thinking some more about the gut flora argument of obesity. So maybe when we have WLS the severe restriction we have in calories plus the physical alterations to our digestive systems changed our flora. We "starve" the bad critters by denying them processed carbs, and allow the good critters to flourish. Resisting crap food feels almost effortless, or at least much easier than before. THEN, over time, we let some processed carbs back in, giving those bad critters a new lease on life and they begin screaming for MORE MORE and suddenly maintence becomes more difficult. Just a theory, but strengthing my resolve to keep my probiotics strong and not feed the bad guys.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #26

The bloat and gassiness I get if I eat a meal of processed carbs is more fuel for your theory. I'd love to read more about it if you have found research.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #27

In an effort to prevent overraining injuries and not add too much running in too quickly Lala and I went on a nice 2 mile walk around the neighborhood. Tomorrow I shall run, it's *supposed* to hit 80 yeah!

Lucy and I have beast mode on (ha!)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140408_180016.jpg (24.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20140408_180209.jpg (32.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
The bloat and gassiness I get if I eat a meal of processed carbs is more fuel for your theory. I'd love to read more about it if you have found research.
Heather the first 2 links talk about chnages in the weight of mice when they receive a fecal implant:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/he...mice-down.html

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl...e-Transplants/

This one refers to the differences of gut bacteria in obese people, thin people, and WLS people:
The Microbes in Your Gut May be Making You Fat | Bacteria Obesity | LiveScience

There are a lot of links if you google gut flora and obesity or fecal implants and obesity. Makes you go hmmmm. It seems nobody is certain why WLS puts some people's diabetes into remission even before they lose weight. Some researchers are exploring the theory that it is the change in gut flora. Another article I read talked about diebesity. a term coined by one writer to describe the links between obesity and diabetes.

Last edited by Jesse; 04-08-2014 at 05:44 PM..
Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #29

Down 6 pounds this month.

Before you celebrate lol MOST of it is fluid from my half marathon. It's totally ego boosting though.

Although SOME of it is from my return to running. I've logged 9.4 miles in April, which is 18% of my 50 mile goal. That may have been a loft goal considering where I came from recently, but we'll see. As long as it's not less than the 21 from March and the 23ish from February.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

So I made a particular weight loss goal and now my weight stubbornly refuses to change at all 157.5 since Saturday. Really, not even a half pound up or down? Not worried, I just think it's funny that it's happening now.

Grateful for my weight loss today. We had a fire drill at school, meaning I had to walk up 3 flights of stairs back into the building in a crowd of teenagers. 2 years ago this was an ordeal that I dreaded. every.single.time. (And by law we need to have 6 drills a year). No problem today, I scampered up the stairs, breathing hardly changed at all. I think it's these small, but in a way huge, things for which I will be forever grateful and that I will fight to keep.