Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
I'm not going to meet my 50 mile goal for April, but I have already surpassed my March mileage (half of which was done on a single day with my 13.1 mile run!). I'm sitting at about 28 miles for the month with a week left to go. This past week was a beast with work and commutes so I lost about 6-9 miles I would have run. Next week will be better!

I'm at about 100 miles for the year, 70 of them in the last 3 months, according to Runkeeper (I can post this app/website because it's on the tools page). So even with the IT issues all this year I'm not doing too bad. It should only increase from here on out. My Garmin watch syncs to Runkeeper so it captures ALL my miles. Does anyone else use this mileage tracker?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
I'm not going to meet my 50 mile goal for April, but I have already surpassed my March mileage (half of which was done on a single day with my 13.1 mile run!). I'm sitting at about 28 miles for the month with a week left to go. This past week was a beast with work and commutes so I lost about 6-9 miles I would have run. Next week will be better!

I'm at about 100 miles for the year, 70 of them in the last 3 months, according to Runkeeper (I can post this app/website because it's on the tools page). So even with the IT issues all this year I'm not doing too bad. It should only increase from here on out. My Garmin watch syncs to Runkeeper so it captures ALL my miles. Does anyone else use this mileage tracker?
So your rehab work has paid off and you're running pain free? That's a great outcome. I'm still struggling with my ankle but it's improving. DH keeps telling me my butt looks good, must be the clamshells The thing I need to do better is ice it, but I hate doing it. The only time I willingly ice is when it's throbbing so much the pain is worse than the chill of the ice. If I iced more proactively I probably wouldn't get to throbbing pain.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Quote:
Oh, does anyone have any experience with sciatica? Can you describe to me what it feels like?

I get, maybe 2-3 times a year, a radiating weirdness down my groin, buttocks, the backs of my thighs and calves and into my heels. I say "weirdness" in that it's not a pain, but it's painful. Like topical nerve overstimulation maybe? I touch the skin and it "burns". I sit on the toilet and where I sit, it "burns". My heels "burn" where they touch the ground. Like a crawling burning skin sensation. I wake up with it, it's HORRIBLE for about 24 hours, less horrible the next day, nearly non-existent the third day and then gone.

I've wondered if it were sciatica but I never think about it until it happens.
That's what it feels like! Almost like your nerves are on edge or something. Weird sensation.
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 220/138/120
Heather, that sounds like wonderful progress to me!

I am much better today, but the ER thinks I had a recurrence if C-Diff, back from when I had my surgery. Not sure how it can suddenly recur nearly five months later! I am back on flagyl and awaiting results. No gym yesterday and most likely today. I slept on/off all day yesterday so am surely caught up on sleep, but I'm feeling so good today that I'm eating fine and about to take the dog for a long walk =)
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #95
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Hi Guys! As for early-morning walking...I used to love it, but during the week the schedule for my family changed and I just can't get up to walk and get everyone out the door, etc... Maybe in a few years when my younger kids are teenagers. I slept in (8AM), but then did go for a 3.3 mile walk/jog. However, it is already so crazy hot here - and HUMID - that it wasn't the least bit fun. After the first half of the walk/jog each time I stopped running I felt worse and worse (kinda dizzy/sick to my stomach)... I was well-hydrated, but it just wasn't enough I guess. I made it home, put on swim bottoms, and jumped right in the pool! I was thinking about a 5K on 5/26, but I just don't think I wanna chance feeling so crappy while far from home. I think I'll just do the treadmill or go to the gym that day instead.

Food is better today - days aren't the big issue - nights are. I'm considering saving half a protein shake (what I typically have most days) for the only thing I'll "eat" after 5 or 6PM. If I don't "break the seal" of solid food maybe I won't snack and snack! If/when I do run later in the evening the protein shake is also great for after that, too. Guess I should give it a try.

Today I swept and mopped my entire house (except for the kids' bedrooms), did several loads of laundry (I think I'm on #4 now), made breakfast and lunch and am about to make dinner, cleaned two bathrooms, and did half a dozen other things besides that...and the 3.3 miles this morning. When I sit back and consider there would have been NO WAY I'd have even finished the laundry (not anything else, just laundry) 4 years ago it makes me so SO happy I had WLS.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #96
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post
Heather, that sounds like wonderful progress to me!

I am much better today, but the ER thinks I had a recurrence if C-Diff, back from when I had my surgery. Not sure how it can suddenly recur nearly five months later! I am back on flagyl and awaiting results. No gym yesterday and most likely today. I slept on/off all day yesterday so am surely caught up on sleep, but I'm feeling so good today that I'm eating fine and about to take the dog for a long walk =)
Alisa - I think I missed your trip to the ER, but I sure hope you're feeling better now. The long walk is a pretty good replacement for the gym in my book. Anything is better than nothing, and you can't have a super exercise day every day... I think one thing I have learned is that I can't be perfect with eating and exercise - but I can do what I can when I can, you know? Feel Better!!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #97
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE80 View Post
That's what it feels like! Almost like your nerves are on edge or something. Weird sensation.
I'm not sure if I've had it or not, either, but I think I have and I think that was part of my pain, too. Has it gotten better Heather?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Ugh I came down with the plague. I thought I could avoid it with my vitamins and healthy eating but I guess I only postponed it Hope to bounce back soon. Called in sick which also means there will be a price to be paid when I return. Students don't like unexpected changes.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post
Are you taking PPIs or have IBS? Both of those can put you at risk for c-diff, as can taking antibiotics. And FYI your reinfection risk once you've had it is 20%, and that increases up to 50-60% with each subsequent infection. You may also be "colonized", meaning you carry it but do not have active symptoms.

C-diff is not a "germ" that you can kill. It forms spores. And those spores can live sometimes for years outside of the body on surfaces. it just takes ingesting them for them to become active again. You cannot kill these spores so bleach and disinfectant is not effective at ridding the home of c-diff. The spores must be "washed away" by good, almost OCD hand hygiene. Not alcohol hand gels either. Soap and water to remove them from surfaces and wash them down the drain.

So you see how easy it could theoretically be to re-infect once someone in your house has had this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
After the first half of the walk/jog each time I stopped running I felt worse and worse (kinda dizzy/sick to my stomach)... I was well-hydrated, but it just wasn't enough I guess.
Are you hydrating with just water? What are you doing for electrolytes? Lick your arm during exercise. If you are salty tasting and aren't replenishing sodium, etc then that's probably the cause of your symptoms. Mild deficiency presents with what you just described. Water during the first half of the workout, sodium replacement the second half. That can be salty snacks, sports drink (I like nuun, it's no sugar), or just plain salt caps or salt packages from a fast food place!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #100

Quote:
I'm not sure if I've had it or not, either, but I think I have and I think that was part of my pain, too. Has it gotten better Heather?
It resolved after about 4 days or so and then nothing.

My first (nurse think) thought was OMG somehow I got herpes! Because that crawly nervy symptom is a prodromal sign for that. My husband would have had some SERIOUS explaining to do if anything else had "popped up".
Old 04-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #101
Blabbermouth!!!

Are you hydrating with just water? What are you doing for electrolytes? Lick your arm during exercise. If you are salty tasting and aren't replenishing sodium, etc then that's probably the cause of your symptoms. Mild deficiency presents with what you just described. Water during the first half of the workout, sodium replacement the second half. That can be salty snacks, sports drink (I like nuun, it's no sugar), or just plain salt caps or salt packages from a fast food place![/QUOTE]

Wow - I didn't realize that could happen - especially in such a short period of time (30 min or so into my walk/jog...) - but I am VERY salty (I was sweating a lot and happened to get a taste - sorry, TMI...) and I notice when this happens I also tend to really get drenched, too. I was really sweating after tonight's 2 mile run - didn't have the queasy feeling, however... I don't take water with me - or anything else - but I guess I could take a salt packet with me...I know I eat a good amount of salt though - is it just due to the exercise then? Running around in 98% humidity might have something to do with it, huh? Thanks for letting me know about this Heather!!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:02 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: joyful48
WOE: atkins
Hey Girls !! Not going to be a complainer, tired of being that way. I haven't any back
issues resolved GRR!!! Life goes on I am glad April is on its way out and May is upon us,.

HT~ Humid , Humid, and Humid . If you want to do a virtual 5k walk/run in the coolness of the gym I am game. It was real nice at the beach this week from now on though its gonna be hot, hot , hot.

Heather~ I am so weird !I don't sweat. Even when I was running outside races I never had sweat to bead up on my skin. What's wrong with me????

230/ 123~ back 156 /120/ULTIMATE GOAL 115

Jan- 27 153
Jun-19-156

Last edited by joyful48; 04-29-2014 at 04:09 AM..
joyful48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:34 AM   #103

Quote:
Wow - I didn't realize that could happen - especially in such a short period of time (30 min or so into my walk/jog...) - but I am VERY salty (I was sweating a lot and happened to get a taste - sorry, TMI...) and I notice when this happens I also tend to really get drenched, too. I was really sweating after tonight's 2 mile run - didn't have the queasy feeling, however... I don't take water with me - or anything else - but I guess I could take a salt packet with me...I know I eat a good amount of salt though - is it just due to the exercise then? Running around in 98% humidity might have something to do with it, huh? Thanks for letting me know about this Heather!!
It doesn't take long in our heat/humidity. And the more humid it is, the hotter it feels and the faster our core temp goes up. So we push our fluids to the outside to cool off and the sodium goes with it. Rule of thumb, if you taste salt you're losing it. Even if you eat a lot of salt, your body gets used to what is in there and when that level changes quickly (as in exercise) you get symptomatic.

I like to run longer runs or hotter runs with a handheld water bottle. I prefer this one:

It's thermal and the thermal material keeps sweaty hands from slipping on it. There's no "holding" onto it as you slide your palm in between the strap and bottle. There's a small pocket for keys, fuel, whatever. The one I carry is 12 oz, but there's also a 10 and a 20 I believe. I like it so much I bought a second one when my puppy chewed the first!

For even longer runs I have these:

Both hold about 16-20 oz of fluid between the two bottles and have a pouch for fuel, phone, keys etc. I usually do one bottle water and the other sports drink. The blue one is designed for the bottle to sit at your back. I wear mine low on my hips, some people wear them high on the waist. The pink one you can really wear either way but when you wear the bottles in the front you can attach your bib to it so you don't have to pin through your clothes.

I have a plethora of other running paraphernalia too lol if you are looking to solve any certain issues.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful48 View Post
Hey Girls !! Not going to be a complainer, tired of being that way. I haven't any back
issues resolved GRR!!! Life goes on I am glad April is on its way out and May is upon us,.

HT~ Humid , Humid, and Humid . If you want to do a virtual 5k walk/run in the coolness of the gym I am game. It was real nice at the beach this week from now on though its gonna be hot, hot , hot.

Heather~ I am so weird !I don't sweat. Even when I was running outside races I never had sweat to bead up on my skin. What's wrong with me????
I keep hoping that something will resolve so that you can get some pain relief!

I have a virtual 5k you can do. It's a fundraiser for my breast cancer walk in November.

Not sweating, that's a biggie. That's how we cool ourselves. I'd keep a wet rag handy so that you can cool your skin yourself so you don't risk overheating and heat stroke!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #105

I totally set my alarm to go run the "5@5" with a local running group yesterday morning. My plan was to increase to 4 miles. But I hit snooze. A few too many times.

So last night when the temp dropped below 80 and I had a nice "cool" (ha!) breeze I went out for a run. I did 4 miles in 50 minutes. 1/4 mile walk to warm up, mile running at 1104 pace, 1/4 mile walk break, mile running at 1054 pace, 1/4 mile walk break, mile running at 1120 pace (I needed a few second walk breathers for this one!), .15 mile walk break then finished up at a run (didn't pace). So all told 4.16 miles and I only felt a little "tightness" in my knee at the end. No pain. My hammies are sore. My left hip is sore. But overall good. I'll keep the rest of the runs easy (2-3 miles slow), try some speed work on Friday and do a "long" run (probably another 4 or 4 1/2) on Sunday. I have to keep reminding myself to increase speed, duration and distance slowly! Now that I'm up to 4 with 1/4 mile walk breaks I'll work on decreasing the distance of the walk breaks between them until that's good. Then I'll increase distance with 1/4 mile walk breaks, then decrease the breaks between that... and so on until I get my running stamina/mojo back!
Old 04-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #106

So... y'all know me. I'm helpful. And opinionated. So when someone many years post op WLS posted in a running group about needing advice I jumped right in. She's been told to eat only 3 oz per meal 6 times a day for the rest of her life so she can lose her last 50 pounds. She chose to eat 2 apple slices, 2 pieces of celery with pb and a half slice of cheese.

I had to insert my opinion on both her choices AND her nurse practitioners advice.

She's eating sugar. Eating processed foods. Eating JUNK period. Drinking during and after meals with no clue why she shouldn't.

I, of course, inserted more opinions and advice.

I said rather than eat those choices for a meal (that was a meal by the way, lunch) eat a few ounces of lean chicken breast and raw veggies. Eat REAL food. THAT fills you up.

She had every excuse as to why she couldn't. She's picky. She's broke. She's depressed. She's in a hurry. Yes, I get it. I'M ALL THOSE THINGS TOO SOMETIMES. But I'm prepared, I'm planned, I'm maintaining.

So now she keeps asking me for advice, and because I'm nice and helpful and a WLS advocate I give it, but I'm tiring of giving the advice only to be given excuses as to why that won't work or why she can't do it or what her NP or dietician said. She wants to know how she can do 3 oz per meal forever (breakfast was an egg and 1 oz oatmeal today by the way) and I said it's not FEASIBLE to do so this far out and 1 - 1 1/2 cup per meal was more appropriate... She's starving so she's eating crackers and donuts between meals but determined to stick to her 3 oz per meal "guideline" because that's what she was told to do... a suppose a donut and trail mix is 3 oz if you want to get technical.

I'm banging my head trying to get the point across that it's QUALITY not QUANTITY that fills you up and helps you lose weight. I can eat 3 oz of donut or 3 oz of chicken and even though they are BOTH just 3 oz I'm going to be much more satisfied with the chicken than the sugar.

You'd think this was a long drawn out thing too, but no... I just "met" her and offered my thoughts yesterday afternoon...

I'm just venting. I stepped in this mess myself lol.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So... y'all know me. I'm helpful. And opinionated. So when someone many years post op WLS posted in a running group about needing advice I jumped right in. She's been told to eat only 3 oz per meal 6 times a day for the rest of her life so she can lose her last 50 pounds. She chose to eat 2 apple slices, 2 pieces of celery with pb and a half slice of cheese.

I had to insert my opinion on both her choices AND her nurse practitioners advice.

She's eating sugar. Eating processed foods. Eating JUNK period. Drinking during and after meals with no clue why she shouldn't.

I, of course, inserted more opinions and advice.

I said rather than eat those choices for a meal (that was a meal by the way, lunch) eat a few ounces of lean chicken breast and raw veggies. Eat REAL food. THAT fills you up.

She had every excuse as to why she couldn't. She's picky. She's broke. She's depressed. She's in a hurry. Yes, I get it. I'M ALL THOSE THINGS TOO SOMETIMES. But I'm prepared, I'm planned, I'm maintaining.

So now she keeps asking me for advice, and because I'm nice and helpful and a WLS advocate I give it, but I'm tiring of giving the advice only to be given excuses as to why that won't work or why she can't do it or what her NP or dietician said. She wants to know how she can do 3 oz per meal forever (breakfast was an egg and 1 oz oatmeal today by the way) and I said it's not FEASIBLE to do so this far out and 1 - 1 1/2 cup per meal was more appropriate... She's starving so she's eating crackers and donuts between meals but determined to stick to her 3 oz per meal "guideline" because that's what she was told to do... a suppose a donut and trail mix is 3 oz if you want to get technical.

I'm banging my head trying to get the point across that it's QUALITY not QUANTITY that fills you up and helps you lose weight. I can eat 3 oz of donut or 3 oz of chicken and even though they are BOTH just 3 oz I'm going to be much more satisfied with the chicken than the sugar.

You'd think this was a long drawn out thing too, but no... I just "met" her and offered my thoughts yesterday afternoon...

I'm just venting. I stepped in this mess myself lol.
The best you can do is,offer good advice. She may not be ready to process it today,but maybe you planted a seed that will pay off later.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
The best you can do is,offer good advice. She may not be ready to process it today,but maybe you planted a seed that will pay off later.
I get that. It just floors me that we can get to this place. I say we collectively as a post WLS community. She's 4 years post op. And has so little knowledge about her procedure (RNY).

I think my biggest frustration, besides the HORRIBLE advice she is being medically given) is the fact that people are being operated on with so little education about lifestyle changes. Because this is a huge, HUGE, thing to do to your body and if not handled correctly can put you in a worse place than you were before. You'll be skinny, but you'll be so malnourished from lack of vitamins, minerals, and proteins that it's completely negated the "I needed surgery to get healthier" reason.

I feel for her, and I've continued to answer her questions because that's how I am (thanks for letting me vent about it here BTW!) and I really do NOT want to see anyone not taking care of themselves or eating 3 oz of celery and pb as a MEAL on recommendation of their dietician to lose weight. Protein deficiency is not a fun thing.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #109

Yesterday was a "rest" day from running. I took at 50 minute aqua class instead. I don't know how I feel about it but I *hear* it burns calories and builds muscle due to the water resistance...? When I put it in my calorie tracker it *says* I burned about 270 for the duration... but I don't FEEL it. I don't elevate my heart rate. I don't feel sore afterwards. I don't FEEL like I worked out...

But I do enjoy being in the pool so maybe I'll keep trying...
Old 04-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I get that. It just floors me that we can get to this place. I say we collectively as a post WLS community. She's 4 years post op. And has so little knowledge about her procedure (RNY).

I think my biggest frustration, besides the HORRIBLE advice she is being medically given) is the fact that people are being operated on with so little education about lifestyle changes. Because this is a huge, HUGE, thing to do to your body and if not handled correctly can put you in a worse place than you were before. You'll be skinny, but you'll be so malnourished from lack of vitamins, minerals, and proteins that it's completely negated the "I needed surgery to get healthier" reason.

I feel for her, and I've continued to answer her questions because that's how I am (thanks for letting me vent about it here BTW!) and I really do NOT want to see anyone not taking care of themselves or eating 3 oz of celery and pb as a MEAL on recommendation of their dietician to lose weight. Protein deficiency is not a fun thing.
I chafed a bit at the 6 month medically supervised weight loss program required by my insurance, but I am grateful for what I learned. I feel my program prepared me well, and when I pushed back they were able to explain WHY they were recommending said vitamin supplementation etc. Maybe I didn't agree with every little thing (I use straws AND chew gum) but overall very useful information. We even had to take a quiz before our surgery to measure our understanding of some of the basic WLS principles. All of it time well spent. There is also sooo muc information to find on the internet, although some of it conflicting, which is another reason to have a strong pre-op program to help you sort through the useful and not so useful. Thank heavens there are people like you to help, and shame on programs that fail to educate their patients.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:05 PM   #111
Blabbermouth!!!

I agree with Jesse - on all of it, including thank goodness for you, Heather, and for everyone as we give each other advice and act as sounding boards, too. It makes me laugh when people begin to offer me something and then say, "Oh wait! You can't have that!" I'm like, "Um, why not?" Or honestly, if I don't have something it isn't ever because I can't...it is because I choose not to. You know, at the start of that show, "My 600-Pound Life," I think they say that 95% of people will fail. I'm hoping they don't mean after WLS - that would be shocking. However, I do know how easy it is to fall back into old habits, and we all know someone who had WLS but gained it all back, etc... It is a daily battle and it does require that mental change. Lord knows, it has taken me a full 3 months to lose 19 pounds, and I have fought hard for each one! That is AFTER WLS!!! Imagine where I would be now if I hadn't lost it and had just kept eating as I was. I'd have most likely gained another ten at least. Okay, rant over!

Heather, I have a problem with "exercise" that doesn't leave me really feeling like I did something. Water aerobics has never appealed to me for that reason. I haven't done more than the most basic yoga, but I know that could be very different. I wonder if you'll feel like you worked harder in the morning...
Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #112

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/w...l#post16895747
May Thread!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote