Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: joyful48
WOE: atkins
WLS WAGON~~~ FEBRUARY FABULOUS!!

Can you believe it's already February ? Just thought I would get her started , New month let's love ourselfves!!
joyful48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Goodbye January, anf good riddance! It's been the coldest January in Minnesota in 30 years!!! We've had FIVE school closures because of dangerous tempertures. Although the presicitions are that Februrary is also going to be below normal, with January behind me, it has to get better right?

It's been about 20 months since I had my surgery. I still get a kick out of shopping for smaller clothes and lots of other little things, like how easy it was to shave my legs this morning. I hope I always remember the thousands of daily things that got better because of my surgery.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I would add that the terrible cold has kept me in the house more than normal. I have been cleaning closets, sorting, getting things ready for the consignment shop or goodwill. My sil remarked to me "You've shed a lot of things besides weight, haven't you?" So true.... I feel a real desire to only have things that are beautiful or that I love in my house, in my wardrobe...when I let go of physical things that were doing me no real good, I feel lighter in spirit. And shedding things has seemingly opened up room in my life to do the things that feed my soul. If I can feed my soul, I don't need to overfeed my body. I haven't watched Deepra Chokra's special on PBS about weight loss, but the title is "What Are You Hungry For?" It's an interesting question I am asking myself, What am I REALLY hungry for? Turns out it is not always food.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
"What are you hungry for?" Yep. I think that speaks volumes to me. I am just in a cruddy stretch of my life right now on a few fronts and I do think that's s big part of what has/had me eating badly. It sounds corny, but I can almost feel the old will and drive coming back with my eating and exercise - even while sick like I am! It is pretty sobering to realize I've goofed around pretty much for an entire year - losing and gaining the same 3 or 4 pounds and then slowly gaining back more than I lost each time. When I finally did take stock it was 25 pounds! That is almost 1/8th of what I lost! Wayyyy too much! At least now I am feeling better about it than I have in a long time and the scale continues to go down - I just have to deal with a longer wait in between the pounds cause my honeymoon is LONG GONE!!
"No matter who you are, no matter what you do, you absolutely, positively do have the power to change." -Bill Phillips
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 191 / 174 (-17)

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 02-01-2014 at 05:28 PM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Ladies - As WLS patients, many of us have had to deal with hair issues. I know I've talked about it before, but does anyone have a miracle product to talk about that helps you with your hair? At one point I am sure I had lost over 1/3 of my hair, right now I'd say I still have 25% less hair than I had before WLS. Also, my hair has gone from about 20% grey to maybe 33% or slightly more. It is coarse and frizzy and flyaway and AWFUL. I wear it in a ponytail 95% of the time and I hate it. I used to have amazing hair. Should I cut it really short and start over? I am so tired of it! Help!! What do you do??
Old 02-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I found that Biotin helped me a lot . Actually I am trying to grow a little longer cause when I go to the beach I want to be able to pull it back into a pony, so my hair doesn't blow all over.

Well I got over the munchies tonite I ate raw broccoli and dip.Instead of chips are crackers
Old 02-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Ladies - As WLS patients, many of us have had to deal with hair issues. I know I've talked about it before, but does anyone have a miracle product to talk about that helps you with your hair? At one point I am sure I had lost over 1/3 of my hair, right now I'd say I still have 25% less hair than I had before WLS. Also, my hair has gone from about 20% grey to maybe 33% or slightly more. It is coarse and frizzy and flyaway and AWFUL. I wear it in a ponytail 95% of the time and I hate it. I used to have amazing hair. Should I cut it really short and start over? I am so tired of it! Help!! What do you do??
I'm never sure if I can name products by so I hope it's okay to name this, but when my hair was thinning I used some products called fat hair, something I put on when it was wet and also the hairspray and I felt like it did help my hair feel thicker and have more body. My hair is grayer too around the temples (that's were I lost the most) I get it highlighted to try and blend it in more. I hop I never have to switch to completely coloring my hair because I'm not good at going to the hairdresser on a regular basis.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Biotin won't help with loss. It will help when it starts regrowing just know that it's not selective WHERE it grows. I have quite a lot more hair on my arms and chin now.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Trust me - I know all about it growing back in different places. I now have to get my face threaded about every 6 weeks. Ouch! I am seeing new regrowth all over my head - those inch-long gray hairs are easy to spot. I would just like it to look better. Maybe now that I'm not on blood thinners, too, my hair will improve.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jesse; I'll look for that brand when I go shopping next.

Thank you, too, Joyful - I do have some Biotin...guess I need to be more faithful in taking it.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #10

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/155 169.4 VFT!
WOE: Weight loss surgery (VSG) + Low Carb + Exercise
Start Date: 1998; Restart May 2007 @355; WLS March 2010
Checking in
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I was re-reading my WLS journal, and I noticed I had written about being overwhelmed by attention and questions about my weight loss I thought were really too personal for people I hardly knew to be asking. (I know I complained about it here too ) I wanted it to stop and yet I was afraid too that I might miss the attention when it did. It occurred to me that once I stabilized with weight loss (around October) the compliments and exclamations over my weight loss also stopped. And hurray, I am fine with it. I don't feel like I am running a guantlet everytime I step out in the hall. Now people compliment me on the same things they compliment other people on, oh your hair looks cute today, or I love that sweater! This is so much easier to live with, at least for me. So if the tsunami of attention is drowning you during your weight loss stage, it will probably let up eventually
Old 02-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Trust me - I know all about it growing back in different places. I now have to get my face threaded about every 6 weeks. Ouch! I am seeing new regrowth all over my head - those inch-long gray hairs are easy to spot. I would just like it to look better. Maybe now that I'm not on blood thinners, too, my hair will improve.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jesse; I'll look for that brand when I go shopping next.

Thank you, too, Joyful - I do have some Biotin...guess I need to be more faithful in taking it.
Try to avoid any more emergency surgeries, that should help too. (I hope that conveys the tounge in cheek attitude I meant). Hopefully your focus on increasing protein also helps.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

I got it, Jesse. I figure I only have an appendix, a spleen, and a few ovaries left...they had better just not get any ideas!!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow. I just walked 3 episodes of "My 600 Pound Life" back to back.

I forgot just how bad it all was.

I forgot how hard I worked to get where I am and how much pain I went through.

I am not complaining. I am just kind of amazed at myself all over again.

No, I wasn't 600 pounds, but I think I felt very similarly to how people that size feel at that point. I had limited mobility then (at 389), and I think I was about at the point that I was going to start having real issues moving around.

Anyway, I am sitting here really - I guess - excited again. It is a very good thing.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #15

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Hi. Just peeking in. My ft job is just over whelming still. I am doing well and haven't been this thin since before my oldest was born over 19 years ago. I'm waiting for my one year blood check up blood results. They sent the bill but not the report I had requested. GRRRR I've missed you all. Hope all is well and will make an effort to get back more often.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Wow. I just walked 3 episodes of "My 600 Pound Life" back to back.

I forgot just how bad it all was.

I forgot how hard I worked to get where I am and how much pain I went through.

I am not complaining. I am just kind of amazed at myself all over again.

No, I wasn't 600 pounds, but I think I felt very similarly to how people that size feel at that point. I had limited mobility then (at 389), and I think I was about at the point that I was going to start having real issues moving around.

Anyway, I am sitting here really - I guess - excited again. It is a very good thing.
I've watched those. It's surprising actually. They don't SHOW any pre-op education and the whole process seems so cut and dry... "lose 30 pounds to prove you are ready". I'd LIKE to HOPE that they actually get some nutrition and post op education but from watching the results and struggles I highly doubt they do. Really, how good a TV show would a compliant well educated patient make...?
Old 02-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah!!! we are doing it ladies We are bringing sexy back!!!

My loss for the month of January 7 lbs

Feb so far 1 lb
Old 02-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful48 View Post
Yeah!!! we are doing it ladies We are bringing sexy back!!!

My loss for the month of January 7 lbs

Feb so far 1 lb
Lol. It never left!
Old 02-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

I think I deserve lots of gold stars for not falling into plates of carbs... we've had 36 subzero mornings so far this winter and more forecasted. Tomorrow's windchill is predicted to be -35 F Again. Fighting the good fight and staying out of the treats. Looking forward to some nice roast beef and roasted veggies for dinner.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #20

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/155 169.4 VFT!
WOE: Weight loss surgery (VSG) + Low Carb + Exercise
Start Date: 1998; Restart May 2007 @355; WLS March 2010
Yikes Jesse that's crazy! Well done!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I think I deserve lots of gold stars for not falling into plates of carbs... we've had 36 subzero mornings so far this winter and more forecasted. Tomorrow's windchill is predicted to be -35 F Again. Fighting the good fight and staying out of the treats. Looking forward to some nice roast beef and roasted veggies for dinner.
Yep - you do deserve a bunch of stars! Way to go!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:24 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Jesse~ you deserve a galaxy of stars Wow I couldn't deal with that!

Chewie~ Good to see ya, you are doing great! Let us know what your
blood work comes out.

I weigh every morning and the numbers so far looking good hope it can hold on till Monday!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #23

ARGH!

I hate hate hate HATE being on workout lockdown. I went to my sports chiro appointment last Monday and was told to lay off for a few days until I come back (this afternoon). So... I clarified. No biking. No insanity/t25 style workouts. Yoga okay but not INTENSE yoga. No elliptical (hate that but I would have suffered it if allowed lol). I just do my Lucy walks and my PT exercises and am slowly going crazy not having an exercise outlet. I do 25 clamshells and 25 reverse clamshells in three different leg positions (so 150 total each side). The 15 glute bridges and 15 one legged glute bridges each side. The some standing balance things where I stand on one leg and bring the other leg front and back then out laterally. 10 each side, twice.

Soooooo ready to get back to running, but my mechanics aren't there yet!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Awww Heather. Try to sit tight. In a short time you'll be back in action. At least you can still so some yoga... Wish I knew what to tell you - I know how much you love it.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

I have had one of the most stressful days I've had in a long time. Home was stressful, work was stressful, then back home where its now a new kind of stressful! AHHHHHH!

In other news, I walked 2.25 miles on the treadmill yesterday and walked a little over 2 miles with a friend after work today. I have also really put the clamp down on my eating. I haven't weighed since Sunday, but I am pretty confident I can be down at least 2 pounds by this Sunday morning. I'm almost enjoying working at losing this weight. I think something is wrong with me!!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:24 AM   #26

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
HT--good job especially dealing with the stress. KUTGW
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks. Stress is still high, but I am not caving. I did have some frozen yogurt today, but not a lot and I don't consider it a "cheat." It is what it is. I plan to have a very lean weekend - I want to see 200 or less on Monday morning! Today I am not walking, but I will be having a longer walk/jog tomorrow. I kinda felt that zing in my knee today at work after trying to reconnect some wires - I was down on the floor wrestling with them and when I got up - yikes! So...I think resting it is a good idea.

I've been really looking into calories these days. It kills me that a cup of milk is 110 calories (1%)... That is almost a whole Greek yogurt, yet I can drink it in just a few minutes and almost forget I did it! Granted, milk is not empty nutritionally, but I just have to avoid drinking calories.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #28

I walked a 5k. I WALKED it. 14:47 minute miles. And I'm practically in tears now. I came THIS close to peeing on myself because I couldn't get my knee to move when I tried to get out of the car. I couldn't walk. I couldn't straighten. I couldn't move. I was standing there, cursing, left leg out of the car and right leg still in. And that's WITH icing it immediately.

I'm so freakin depressed. What does a runner do when she can no longer WALK, let alone run.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
I walked a 5k. I WALKED it. 14:47 minute miles. And I'm practically in tears now. I came THIS close to peeing on myself because I couldn't get my knee to move when I tried to get out of the car. I couldn't walk. I couldn't straighten. I couldn't move. I was standing there, cursing, left leg out of the car and right leg still in. And that's WITH icing it immediately.

I'm so freakin depressed. What does a runner do when she can no longer WALK, let alone run.
That's really discouraging. Sadly, I think you know the answer about what a runner has to do ~ they have to do their therapy and surrender to the fact that therapy + time = healing. I am not an athlete like you, but last year when my ankle was freezing up I got soooo frustrated. I was frustrated by daily pain, even when sitting, and then even more frustrated that when the weather was finally warm enough to walk, my physical therapist said I COULD NOT go for walks I was so worried I wouldn't be healed before I left for Italy. But it did heal (funny, I did a lot of the same exercises you are doing, but I didn't need to do them at the same intensity/repetitions you're doing, I hit the fatigue stage much faster ) and it felt like a miracle when I could walk again without pain. Do you trust your therapy plan? If you do, keep following it, and if you don't, find someoen you do trust. Good thoughts and prayers for healing
Old 02-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Heather - I am really sad to hear about this! You of all people need to run. I think, like Jesse said, as long as you are willing to work with the plan you've been presented, in the long run it will be helpful. Unfortunately - just like me, I might add - you really want to feel better NOW, not a month or two from now. It sounds like there really might not be any way around this except to accept it. I hope the pain you experienced today was just more of a temporary thing. I really hope you feel better soon.