Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
I had to have one before my surgery. You didn't? Mine ended up horrible cause they couldn't finish due my windy colon and I had to have a barium enema. UGH
Not before surgery. Just an EGD. None of the surgeons I've worked with in the OR do colonoscopies before WLS. They might do one at the same time as the EGD if you within screening age because you are there anyway, but not as a pre-op requirement for surgery.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
I didn't have to have much in the way of testing; sleep test because I already had diagnosed sleep apnea so they wanted up to date info, blood tests and an EKG. I did have to do the magnesium citrate and liquids the day before surgery, but that was it. Should have had a colonoscopy during my 6 month preparation. It would have been a lot easier to do the prep! I will call the clinic and ask about other optons. Maybe I can do 2 or 3 days of clear liquids so I can reduce the amount of gatorade laxative combination.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

I was having some cramping when I had a bowel movement so I thought I would get it checked out today when I had a DEXA scan and they were able to fit me in. Diagnosis based on symptoms ~ diverticulitis. I'm really surprised because I feel like I've been very fortunate that I have very regular bowels for a WLS patient. I never take any laxative (except 2 prunes a day ) and although I had some bouts with constipation the first few months I've been fine since. They prescribed CIPRO, based on symptoms, no scan. I don't have a fever, but if I do get one, they said I need to go to the ER. I'm a little concerned about the CIPRO it seems pretty heavy duty and I just read there is a warning about people who have tendinitis using it .... I have tendinitis in my ankle/calf, but this did not come up inthe conversation when CIPRO was being prescribed. I'll talk to the pharamacist about how big of a concern this is when I pick it up.

On the good news side I gained a half inch of height since my last dexa scan (befoe WLS) So now I am officially the height I was in my 20s. I did lose a little bone density, but I'm still far from osteoporosis, thank heavens. My mother has had 2 hip replacements and her spine fused, all before she turned 70. Hoping to avoid this fate.
Jesse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 210/154/110
WOE: Primal-ish (WLS 11/29/13)
Hi. I'm sorry I've been MIA for so long!

Jesse and Heather, I hope you are both feeling better very soon. I'm sorry you're in such pain and can't run, Heather. I hope the acupuncture and therapy does the trick, fast. Your niece is beautiful and adorable!

Maryposa, LOVE your new profile picture. You look great!

Going back to my last post, when I looked at my protein, I realized it was nowhere near the bare minimum of 60 on most days. On average, I was around 45g/day. Not good at all. I fixed that very fast. Go figure, I started losing again, almost immediately.

I've been walking, going on weekend longer walks and hikes, and staying busy doing a lot of home improvement type things. We're currently ripping out the walls and flooring of our main bathroom. Tonight, we're welding. This weekend, tiling. Then installing the sink and glass and fixtures and vanity, possibly toilet. Then painting. That puts a cramp in going to the gym, so we haven't really been going there much. I will be fixing that soon, hopefully before next week, bathroom or not.

I'm feeling good, looking better, and go back for my second bariatric follow up visit in just a couple of weeks. I've been doing very well with my vitamins but still need to do better with my water! I've fallen back into an every day coffee habit, but only a cup a day.... versus two pots. I will watch that and make sure I stay at one cup and only one cup, and only after my first 30 oz of water am I "allowed" to have it.

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Matrigna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #65

Cowtown is this weekend. I've been given the go ahead to "tear it up". My runs have been pain free. He just reminded me to remember that it's not in my knee. If I gem pain in my knee to stop and assess what is going on with my gait and my hip. Because that's where my problem is. We've corrected the internal rotation of the knee (caused by weak or "sleeping" glutes) and now we're working on the rest.

So... 10k here I come!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #66

Oh. Lol. And I go back in Monday to get put back together.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:43 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 210/154/110
WOE: Primal-ish (WLS 11/29/13)
Woot!! That's great! Congrats on the go-ahead and "tear it up!" Just not *literally* =)
Matrigna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:44 AM   #68

I'm excited!

Hopefully it's a good experience unlike my last one!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah on being a able to run Heather I on the other hand may not even go outside once today We are having another weather event this time a blizzard. No school for the fifth time since January. Unheard of in this part of the world. We pride ourselves on being able to just get on with it when the weather is bad but this winter mother nature is kicking our behinds. I decided to not start the antibiotics for the diverticulitis until I talk to my Wls clinic. So far no answer there, maybe they closed due to weather.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Yeah on being a able to run Heather I on the other hand may not even go outside once today We are having another weather event this time a blizzard. No school for the fifth time since January. Unheard of in this part of the world. We pride ourselves on being able to just get on with it when the weather is bad but this winter mother nature is kicking our behinds. I decided to not start the antibiotics for the diverticulitis until I talk to my Wls clinic. So far no answer there, maybe they closed due to weather.
I think that's a good call. With no history of diverticulosis and no other symptoms of 'litis I would be leary to believe the diagnosis without other tests. ESPECIALLY post WLS, when cramping isn't uncommon.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: joyful48
WOE: atkins
Disks in back are compromised. Also A pinched nerve that may have to be surgically released. Also they want to give me shots in the spine. I hurt so bad I don't even care about the pain of the needle .Can you say disgusted ,discouraged, depressed etc?? I will try to overcome my woe is me attitude. Sorry just venting.
joyful48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful48 View Post
Disks in back are compromised. Also A pinched nerve that may have to be surgically released. Also they want to give me shots in the spine. I hurt so bad I don't even care about the pain of the needle .Can you say disgusted ,discouraged, depressed etc?? I will try to overcome my woe is me attitude. Sorry just venting.

I hope this can be resolved easily so you are out of pain.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #73
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Yes, Joyful, I hope they can do something for you, pronto! I know how awful pain is.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #74
Blabbermouth!!!

Jesse - I hope you're feeling better!

Alisa - Nice to see you! I have to almost make myself drink water - especially when it is cold out, or when I am cold (which is pretty often...). I also make myself drink some water before I drink something I'd rather be having (like coffee).

Heather - So, SO glad for you on the pain-free running! I've been doing okay, too, although I run a much smaller distance and I know I walk more than you do... I'll do a longer walk/run today, however...

Mary!!! Hi!!!

I am doing okay - I had a super-stressful week at work (and home, honestly), but I managed to not dive head-first into a bag of Doritos... I got on the scale this morning for a Monday weigh-in preview, and I found 196.5. It's a little lower, which is good, but I'm hoping a careful weekend will find me at 195.9 or less... If not, I need to keep thinking "no biggie, I'll get there..." That is hard for me, though. I'm all about results - NOW! That said, I'm going to the gym this afternoon for at least 4 miles on the elliptical and treadmill. I'm not sure when we started all this, but I'm thinking around 1/25... I cannot complain about a little over 12 pounds in about a month! I am also LOVING feeling better about myself again and I am loving feeling "thinner," too. I've been turning down so many foods that I would have gone for a month ago - all of it is very empowering and makes me want to keep doing it.
"No matter who you are, no matter what you do, you absolutely, positively do have the power to change." -Bill Phillips
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 190 / 174 (-18)

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 02-22-2014 at 07:58 AM..
Old 02-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

Have any of you watched "My 600-Pound Life?" There's a thread about it, but I find/think a lot of people who are there haven't had gastric bypass/WLS. I think I probably have a different take on it, for that reason. Anyway, I am pretty appalled that those people who have the surgery seem to have no psych eval or counseling unless they do it themselves. The doctor appears to just have most of them prove they are ready to make changes by losing x amount of weight... Then, in almost every case, the patients have surgery and then do dumb things like eat absolutely wrong foods and/or too much, etc... I guess doing what you are supposed to isn't good TV, or whatever, but it really ticks me off! Worse, some of them GAIN weight or only lose a few pounds each month! I sit there with my mouth hanging open at what they are doing! It paints a picture of WLS patients as, well, stupid!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Trying to keep a positive outlook, the blizzard is done, but here comes more cold air! Subzero mornings predicted for every morning next week, and by subzero I mean - 11 or -14 It is now going down as the fifth coldest winter on record. My clinic said to go ahead with the antibiotics, one of them cannot be ingested with alcohol so I can't even sip a small glass of red wine by the fire. But hey, this to shall pass (In May?!). The state patrol is still advising no travel, but dh and I are going to risk the 5 mile drive to the multiplex to see American Hustle. I can't spend another day in the house. I did get a nice whole body workout shoveling yesterday so it's not all bad.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #77

So... my day. Up at 430 to leave for The Cowtown 10k. It was only a 30 minute trip but I got there about 615 (I left at 515), most of that time I was right outside the venue in traffic. Drank my mint cookie in the car. Ate my pb crackers at the expo waiting for the 7am start. Got in line for the potty (just in time, because when I came out the line was a mile long!).

I did my warm up dynamic stretching. Walked all around to stay warmed up.

Started. Crossed the line at 0703.

I ran for 2 miles before I started to feel anything. At 2.3 I decided to walk for a while. Ran a little, walked a little, ran a little, walked a lot. At about 4.5 miles in I decided since it hurt JUST as much to walk now as it did to run I'd just do speed intervals to get through the last 1.8 miles. My best speed was 6.14 min/mi (yeah, not for long!) but most of the run intervals were about 7-7.5. With walking.

Crossed the finish in 1:21:03 (finished about 0825). Not too far off what I figured I would do.

I would have LOVED a running miracle, but I expected to cross the finish hurting. I knew I would. I just wanted to get further into it without pain than I could previously. And I did. 2 miles this time. Before it wasn't even half a mile.

I walked around the expo to keep it moving. Bought a couple of sports bras and some Generation UCAN sports replacement stuff (heard GREAT things about it so I got 4 single serve packages to try out). I could BARELY get up the stairs to get back outside and I limped to my car *THIS* close to tears. I actually may have shed one or two.

Drove home, stopped at Walmart for some GasX and some Magnesium (TMI perhaps) and to pee. I could barely walk. I had to stop in the bathroom and stretch my glutes and hip to get through the trip.

Back to the car, and drove the 10 minutes home. Then I sat in my car in the driveway for about 15-20 minutes afraid to move. Last time I drove home after a race my knee locked up and I was stuck and almost peed myself. I got out okay.

Showered. HOT HOT HOT shower and it felt so good that I could move my knee pain free while I was in there. I got out and foam rolled and tennis balled my right hip and glute for about 15-20 minutes. I'm tender, and it's just NOW starting to feel ouchy again so I'll need to sit it under the electric blanket for a bit and roll it out again for a bit.

I lived. I got a new finisher's medal. It sure does look small for as much as this race hurt me.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Well Heather you are one heck of a warrior!!! I hope your recovery goes well and that this week you can continue to run 2 miles or more without pain. Back to clamshells?
Old 02-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Well Heather you are one heck of a warrior!!! I hope your recovery goes well and that this week you can continue to run 2 miles or more without pain. Back to clamshells?
The clamshells never left. They just found more friends along the way!

And how sad is it that it's a GORGEOUS day and I really want to get out there for a 5 mile run (even after this morning!) but can't because I *KNOW* I won't be able to stand, let alone walk.

It really stinks being a runner that cannot just go run.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #80

So as bad as I hurt after my run Saturday I *really* wanted to get out for a long run yesterday because it was so beautiful out! AND because all my friends were out running The Cowtown Half, Full or Ultra Marathon. I had runner's envy.

By long I mean at least 5-6 miles.

I didn't. I sat and rested like a good little injured runner. Which is an oxymoron btw. Runner's are stubborn beasts when it comes to running. Obviously. We keep doing it.

Actually, I cleaned, swept, did laundry, etc yesterday. That's resting right?
Old 02-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Have any of you watched "My 600-Pound Life?" There's a thread about it, but I find/think a lot of people who are there haven't had gastric bypass/WLS. I think I probably have a different take on it, for that reason. Anyway, I am pretty appalled that those people who have the surgery seem to have no psych eval or counseling unless they do it themselves. The doctor appears to just have most of them prove they are ready to make changes by losing x amount of weight... Then, in almost every case, the patients have surgery and then do dumb things like eat absolutely wrong foods and/or too much, etc... I guess doing what you are supposed to isn't good TV, or whatever, but it really ticks me off! Worse, some of them GAIN weight or only lose a few pounds each month! I sit there with my mouth hanging open at what they are doing! It paints a picture of WLS patients as, well, stupid!
HT~I ditto what you say about the show, I mean one lady didnt even get out of bed ever after the procedure and gained weight !!! I just don't think that they are paying for these surgeries cause if they were they would be more serious about taking it off for their health etc .
Old 02-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Heather ~ i am a dunce what is a clam shell?????
Old 02-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #83

Glute exercise.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:24 AM   #84

Quote:
Heather ~ i am a dunce what is a clam shell?????
Okay, now that I'm not in bed or on my mobile - these are clamshells. Hip strengtheners for knee pain...

Clockwise R to L:

1. Clamshells (heels touching, knee raises and lowers)
2. Reverse clamshells (knees touching, lower leg raises and lowers)
3. Same (regular and reverse) while hovering top leg 4 inches in the air
4. Same (regular and reverse, hovering 4 inches) in this alignment

I do 25 each movement, each leg for a total of 150 each side. Or 300 total. Every day! Plus 7 other moves (kneeling lunges, standing balance stuff) as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hip-clam-progression.jpg (48.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-25-2014, 06:32 AM   #85

I had a nice sports chiro visit yesterday. No needles, no "mean" stuff lol. I got the compression boots (ankle to thigh intermittent graduated compression omg NICE!) for half an hour, then some trigger release and some vibrating plate work (stand on a vibrating platform and do things - I had to roll each foot for 3 minutes each).

It never hurts that my sports chiros are so stinking good looking too.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Heather~ That sounds like it would feel so good!!! thanks for the info on the clam shells. along with the pics. Yeah nice about the eye candy Just got to say I love your new avi!!

HT~ you are doing it!!!Proud of you I knew you would get your groove back
Old 02-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #87

Quote:
Yeah nice about the eye candy Just got to say I love your new avi!!
More like an eye candy STORE lol. Big one. Like Costco eye candy lol. SERIOUS good looking. Young. And super nice to boot.

I LOVE that I am not just another patient to them and they celebrate my (albeit small) victories and feel my setbacks as well. As soon as I walked in they both wanted to hear about my race. We pretty much all had the same expectations - about 2 1/2 3 miles before the pain hit. My hip is just fatiguing about that point so continue with the strengthening and build up with endurance.

I'm to try to hit 3 miles this week. I go back Thursday. It's raining today boo hiss.

I'm going to call and cancel my gym membership so that I can enroll in a "new" local gym. They just relocated down the road from their original gym to expand and they have an indoor track, pool, HUGE cardio, weights, free weights centers, childcare (not for me!), group fitness rooms (three or four I think), LOTS of classes, and my favorite part... they're about $40 cheaper a month for a family of 4 than my current gym is for just 3 of us!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Ugh antibiotics are not going well. My clinic said I could discontinue so I am hoping to be back to normal soon. On a brighter note I am remembering a line from The Devil Wears Prada~ I'm just one stomach flu away from my perfect weight
Old 02-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Jesse ~Hope you are yourself again soon.

I was looking at a 5k race dang, entry fee was 42 bucks. Oh well once I can go to the gym again I will do my 5k 's there where it is free. I love the races that involve lots of people and all the competition but, at present can't afford to.

Heather~ your new gym sounds awesome!!!

Last edited by joyful48; 02-26-2014 at 12:26 PM..
Old 02-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #90

Quote:
Jesse ~Hope you are yourself again soon.

I was looking at a 5k race dang, entry fee was 42 bucks. Oh well once I can go to the gym again I will do my 5k 's there where it is free. I love the races that involve lots of people and all the competition but, at present can't afford to.

Heather~ your new gym sounds awesome!!!
That must be a "gimmicky" run like a color run or hot chocolate run. Those tend to be pricier. Also if it has great race swag they'll charge a bit more too.

Lol, we don't tell my hubby how much my races cost, he'd have a heart attack. Next months was well over $100... and I don't think I'll be running that one either.

But I make bank so I can spend it however I want.