Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: joyful48
WOE: atkins
HT~ I so can relate . We have come so far but, It is true if we can get our minds back in gear the body has to follow. It's the only thing we have control of. We wouldn't wish this on people we love so lets not allow it for our selves. It matters for health first and vanity second,lastly its a matter of pride in our accomplishments. What have you done today to make yourself proud?(Biggest Loser) Also I refuse to by bigger clothes , can't afford it for one thing and yes I admit it I am vain.

WE CAN CO THIS PEEPS!Let's rally

230/ 123~ back 156 /120/ULTIMATE GOAL 115

Jan- 27 153
Jun-19-156
joyful48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Hi Ladies...Happy Monday!

So, I rejoined the gym Saturday...went to beginners yoga class yesterday...and I like it! I am gonna try the regular class soon. Gotta get moving. My birthday is coming up..I like to use that as motivation...so my goal is to lose 10lbs before 2/25.
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #93
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
When I eat the right things I can feel satisfied all day on 1350 cals.
That there is the key! The RIGHT THINGS! Remember all those rules the surgeon gave us a long time ago lol! I have to remember that too. Protein first, no sliders, no sugar, reduced carbs. I can eat toast with butter and jelly (threw away the whipped butter and sf jam by the way!) all day long and rack up calories. Eat 2 oz of chicken and I'm set for hours... Funny how it all still works when we let it, huh! You are rocking this.

This is also why I'm a firm believer in NOT falling into pre-op trends of "fad" dieting (liquids, soups, strictness, and even the pouch test). Not when just following our easy rules works so WELL. It's just a matter of getting back there when we've all gotten used to letting things slide. Little slides at a time so we don't notice them until it's time to "reset".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I'm talking pre-measuring, pre-planning, and counting every calorie until I can get back in the swing of things again. And for Pete's sake: NO MORE TRIGGER FOODS IN MY HOUSE!!!
Yes. To this day I still weigh and measure my foods. I know my capacity when I eat the right foods (there's that term again!) so I just automatically give myself that much. Can I eat more? Sure. If I eat LONGER or eat things that chew down more or go down faster. I count calories not because I need to, but because once it's in print I can hold myself more accountable. It's easy to overlook the 3 bites I took while fixing something, or the 2 crackers I ate while packing lunch, etc... but if I have it in writing I can't overlook how much I really am overeating.

Trigger foods - YES! And sometimes things can be a trigger even if you don't realize it. I tossed the whipped butter and sf jam because I found myself eating toast with both more frequently than I needed to. So I fixed that issue. It's not a lot of calories in and of itself, but it is unnecessary food that was just becoming a habit... If I notice I'm reaching for it too much it has to go. I can live with out it for a while, if not indefinitely.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE80 View Post
So, I rejoined the gym Saturday...went to beginners yoga class yesterday...and I like it!
Yoga makes you strong!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #95
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Yep. I know all the right things to do. Now to do it. I am doing better today - no more caramel popcorn or fudgicles or whipped cream in this house for a lonnnnng time. I also went to the gym and did a bunch of ab work and then did 1.25 on the elliptical and 1.50 on the treadmill (I would have done more, but I went with a friend who drove and it was time to go...). I'm glad I did it. The race is Saturday and I want to get at least one big walk/run in before then, in addition to a few smaller ones.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #96

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
MYS, well I still have tweaked the plan in that I'm pretty sure I'm consuming more fat then my surgeon would recommend. But my protein is in range and my carbs are even lower than he asks (40 net max). I think he'd prefer my protein higher instead of the fat.I just feel better than I have in a long time now that I've reduced my carbs to around Atkins induction levels (veggies, low carb dairy and nuts being the only source of carbs... no fruit or grain for the time being) and upped the fat. Also all but protein powder is real whole food sources.... no more bars or soy crisps.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
MYS, well I still have tweaked the plan in that I'm pretty sure I'm consuming more fat then my surgeon would recommend. But my protein is in range and my carbs are even lower than he asks (40 net max). I think he'd prefer my protein higher instead of the fat.I just feel better than I have in a long time now that I've reduced my carbs to around Atkins induction levels (veggies, low carb dairy and nuts being the only source of carbs... no fruit or grain for the time being) and upped the fat. Also all but protein powder is real whole food sources.... no more bars or soy crisps.
Over time I found I needed to increase dietary fat to be satisfied. My sleeve handles fat just fine, as long as it is not coupled with carbs (and even then it handles it better than I really want it to, but it certainly can't take what I used to push into it 2 years ago!) So healthy fats, yeah, they help me feel full physically and also mentally.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Fighting a battle with myselfand winning so far

I'm going to a movie in about 30 minutes. I told myself I'll have a late dinner when I get home. Oh sneaky sneaky self, I know what you are up to ~ if I go to a movie on an empty stomach I can stuff myself with POPCORN! but if I eat some protein, alas, no room for popcorn. I am eating an omelet right now, egg, feta cheese, olives and broccoli. I will be too full for popcorn, oh yes I will. Take that sneaky self who wants to carb load. ETA The little omelet is very good! I used leftover broccoli from last night's dinner, it adds something nice to my little one egg omelet.

Last edited by Jesse; 01-20-2014 at 03:28 PM..
Old 01-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #99
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes!!!! NO POPCORN! IT IS EVILLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #100

Have another sports chiro appointment today. I'm so disheartened and depressed. I'm not one to be sitting on the sidelines and I'm just watching my training runs tick away without me. This past weekend would have been a 6 mile run, which is fine because it's totally within my distance ability. This coming weekend is a 5k run, again totally within my distance ability. So technically I'm okay en route to my half without running, but I'm missing out on cardiovascular training and just plain endurance running. I need to have that base distance of running during the weeks, plus my long runs on the weekends so I don't hit a wall during my half. I'm just so depressed because I want to do it, but I want to give myself time to heal so that I CAN run my half. Nest weekend I'm supposed to build up to a 7 mile long run.

THIS weekend I have a 10k race that's already bought and paid for. I'm debating what to do about that. At this point in time my plan is to do it, even if I walk a good bit of it. I've decided that my journey is NOT about speed and time, but building distance and endurance. Speed and time actually come naturally from just running more...

Whenever I think about it I just want to cry about not being able (allowed?) to run. Seriously. It makes me feel THAT horrible.

I did do T25 last night after taking a week rest from EVERYTHING (except yoga Friday night). I actually probably shouldn't do it, but with me not doing it my hubby has not been doing it either and he REALLY needs that push. I don't believe he would have done it last night either if I hadn't put on my workout clothes and stood there looking at him. He wants the change, he just doesn't have the self motivation to do it or the love of getting his booty kicked by activity. Yet. It's a beast workout for him right now, and to me it's a good 25 minute sweat to burn 250 or so calories...
Old 01-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #101

I can run. I can run. I can run. A little lol. I can do 1-2 miles SLOWLY every other day this week. But I also have to do my three "make your bootie sore" exercises every day too. Yay!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
I can run. I can run. I can run. A little lol. I can do 1-2 miles SLOWLY every other day this week. But I also have to do my three "make your bootie sore" exercises every day too. Yay!
Oh great news! I hope this slow short run workout does what you need to get back to your training. And booties exercises? Good heavens you'll be cuter than ever!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #103

Plus T25 but that's a secret workout.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #104
Blabbermouth!!!

Glad to hear you can run again! I walked/ran for 4.92 miles tonight at the gym. My knees are sore, but maybe not as sore as I had expected. The 8K is Saturday...

Tomorrow I go in for an EGD to look at the ulcer - to see if it has healed. All good thoughts and prayers appreciated!

Have a good night, everyone.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Glad to hear you can run again! I walked/ran for 4.92 miles tonight at the gym. My knees are sore, but maybe not as sore as I had expected. The 8K is Saturday...

Tomorrow I go in for an EGD to look at the ulcer - to see if it has healed. All good thoughts and prayers appreciated!

Have a good night, everyone.
Good thoughts on your HEALED ulcer today. I know it will be better!

My pain issues are all mechanical so the "bootie sore" exercises are to strengthen a weak IT band and build up my glute muscles. My knee collapses inward during flexion and that stretches the IT band and causes the friction and pain. I didn't get acupuncture yesterday (thank goodness because that always makes me feel run down and almost flu like after - I guess from the "release" of crud from the muscle?), but I got the muscle stim therapy with electrodes (took a nap!), myofascial release around my knee, trigger point release in my right hip and glute, stood on the vibrating plate and did some exercises, got my back adjusted to correct pelvic rotation (they only crack the right side), and k-taping.

Whew! So I'm excited/fearful to run again. I'm religiously doing my "bootie sore" exercises lol. 10 glute bridges, 12 clamshells on each side, 14 kickbacks (7 each side - get on all fours, push one leg straight behind you and squeeze through the glute), and then he also showed me how to do some standing hi hikes and wall squats with thigh squeezes. Each thing I do I need to be able to look down and see my big toes. If my knee covers my big toes then my knee is rotating inward and I need to consciously pull it outward. It can cover my other toes but I have to see my big toes.

HT you might try checking out what happens with your big toes and start strengthening your glutes too for your knee pain!

I'm to do dynamic stretches before each run - active moving stretches, not static stretch and hold ones. And then my "bootie sore" exercises, then my slow run. I'm rereading my ChiRunning book, focusing on the form exercises and I also bought The Runner's Body book as well.

Before, I would have just quit running/working out citing "it just wasn't to be". Now I enjoy it too much and I'm actually being a good patient to heal this so I can KEEP running MORE!

The wonders of changing your mind and changing your life!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

[QUOTE=myyellowstang;16768234]Good thoughts on your HEALED ulcer today. I know it will be better!

My pain issues are all mechanical so the "bootie sore" exercises are to strengthen a weak IT band and build up my glute muscles. My knee collapses inward during flexion and that stretches the IT band and causes the friction and pain. I didn't get acupuncture yesterday (thank goodness because that always makes me feel run down and almost flu like after - I guess from the "release" of crud from the muscle?), but I got the muscle stim therapy with electrodes (took a nap!), myofascial release around my knee, trigger point release in my right hip and glute, stood on the vibrating plate and did some exercises, got my back adjusted to correct pelvic rotation (they only crack the right side), and k-taping.

Whew! So I'm excited/fearful to run again. I'm religiously doing my "bootie sore" exercises lol. 10 glute bridges, 12 clamshells on each side, 14 kickbacks (7 each side - get on all fours, push one leg straight behind you and squeeze through the glute), and then he also showed me how to do some standing hi hikes and wall squats with thigh squeezes. Each thing I do I need to be able to look down and see my big toes. If my knee covers my big toes then my knee is rotating inward and I need to consciously pull it outward. It can cover my other toes but I have to see my big toes.

HT you might try checking out what happens with your big toes and start strengthening your glutes too for your knee pain!

I'm to do dynamic stretches before each run - active moving stretches, not static stretch and hold ones. And then my "bootie sore" exercises, then my slow run. I'm rereading my ChiRunning book, focusing on the form exercises and I also bought The Runner's Body book as well.

Before, I would have just quit running/working out citing "it just wasn't to be". Now I enjoy it too much and I'm actually being a good patient to heal this so I can KEEP running MORE!

The wonders of changing your mind and changing your life![/QUOTE]

This is what I am working on...actually we have been working on this very thing at church. I think this is the root of all problems/solutions...negative vs positive SELF talk. How we talk to OURSELVES has so much to do with the outcomes. We need to really talk to ourselves like we would talk to a good friend...positive thoughts=positive words=positive actions. I have an app on my phone I have been trying to look at everyday that has positive affirmations on it. Its helpful.

Carbohydrates drive insulin, and insulin drives fat-Gary Taubes
Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #107
Blabbermouth!!!

The ulcer is healed, but one of the 11 clips is still there. He said that was odd, but not bad and it would work its way out like all the others had. I'm down to one Nexium a day and it seems like he's really happy with what he saw.

Thanks for the hints about my knees. I have to look into that...

Angel - Yes! I need to work on saying good stuff to myself, because right now I feel like quite the failure because I've gained some. I have to get back to the strong, confident me I used to be...

More later - I have to go take care of some things here...
Old 01-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 210/145/110
WOE: Primal-ish (WLS 11/29/13)
Good luck today, HT! I hope everything went well!

I've been snowed in for much of this week. On the plus side, shoveling snow is good exercise! I probably could have kept working from home today but I was going just a little bit stir crazy. Now I'm sitting here at work, wondering why I came in, ready to go home.

I haven't hit a true stall, but I'm not losing a pound a day anymore. I'd say I'm losing a pound about every three days now. I'm doing something for an hour at least every day to keep my calories down.... I'm averaging about 600/day, before exercise. I probably need to do better than I am with my protein. It's hard to achieve low calories when you have to add in protein supplements.

The other day, I tried on some 12s and some large tops at the store, most of them fit =) My calves and thighs are still not boot-cut jean friendly, however. I really want that to change. I can squeeze into the skinny-cut jeans, but they aren't really flattering. So I'm still in straight-leg. I need to measure again and see where I'm at now.

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post
I probably need to do better than I am with my protein. It's hard to achieve low calories when you have to add in protein supplements.
Now here's the trade-off. It's harder to achieve good health without adequate protein. Take it from someone who has had to supplement protein to an intake of 120+ a day just to keep her lab levels at the bottom end of "normal". Keep an eye on your labs. The first 6 months to a year you are living on reserves so you won't see a drop, but if you aren't taking in enough and work through those reserves - it's REALLY hard to get back up and maintain, especially if you are working out or strength training to try to build muscle.

My lab results showed a slow steady drop in protein from my first post op lab to now, even at my high intake levels.

How much do you get a day? I know BARE MINIMUM recommendation is 60g or half your ideal body weight, but I find (as do many other people) that it just isn't adequate.

Last edited by myyellowstang; 01-23-2014 at 09:40 AM..
Old 01-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #110

My first run post treatment was a disappointment. I did my "bootie sore" exercises, did some dynamic active stretching, did a 1/4 mile warm up walk and then ran - SLOWLY (12mm) - and at the 3/4 mile mark I was already feeling the telltale tug in the lateral knee telling me this run was going to hurt if it lasted longer. Before it would come on about mile 2 - 2.5. I'm so sad about the whole thing. I know it was unrealistic considering the injury to expect to go out and run 2 miles with no issues, but that's what I really really really wanted to happen. So I could do my run this weekend successfully.

But no, now it looks like I'm run/walking the 5k - probably more walking than running. I'm not "officially" downgrading my entry - that's a $15 charge, but the routes converge so I'm just going to make a wrong turn lol. The 10k starts 15 minutes after the 5k. I could walk the 10k if I wanted to, no issues with walking. It's the running that hurts me with distance.

I ordered a it band strap for my leg and am having it overnighted (gotta love Prime!) so I'll have it tomorrow. I'll try again tomorrow to see what happens with the same situation - exercises, dynamic stretches, warm up walk and run. If the strap helps I'll wear it. It's the leg equivalent of my tennis elbow strap because this injury is the leg equivalent to tennis elbow lol. Runner's knee. Argh. If it helps I'll wear it Saturday, but I'm not pushing myself.

I have a 15k 2 weeks from Saturday, another 10k two weeks from that and then my half 5 weeks from THAT. Time is ticking by and I'm missing training runs!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #111

Pre-op I'd have thought you crazy if you told me I'd feel like curling up in a ball and crying myself to sleep because I can't run.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #112

FYI Alisa, I LOVE your pretty avi pic!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Now here's the trade-off. It's harder to achieve good health without adequate protein. Take it from someone who has had to supplement protein to an intake of 120+ a day just to keep her lab levels at the bottom end of "normal". Keep an eye on your labs. The first 6 months to a year you are living on reserves so you won't see a drop, but if you aren't taking in enough and work through those reserves - it's REALLY hard to get back up and maintain, especially if you are working out or strength training to try to build muscle.

My lab results showed a slow steady drop in protein from my first post op lab to now, even at my high intake levels.

How much do you get a day? I know BARE MINIMUM recommendation is 60g or half your ideal body weight, but I find (as do many other people) that it just isn't adequate.
MYS-Can you call my mom and preach to her the importance of protein? LOL There are days that she barely eats at all... I feel like I am dealing with a 65 year old child some days.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
FYI Alisa, I LOVE your pretty avi pic!!!
Agree! Looking good!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #115

Acro from Friday night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg handstand.jpg (28.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

the power of tracking

Today I did not eat well. During the afternoon at work, I had a cookie and a bag of peanut M and Ms. I felt fat, and bloated like I'd gained back the 130+ pounds I've lost. Yeah, I was picturing myself to be a big fat loser. To be honest, I've eaten treats all along in my weight loss journey, but I hadn't PLANNED to eat these, triggering my I'm such a fat loser mentality. Clearly a little perspective was needed here. So I made myself log the foods on my tracker. I learned a couple of things

1. I had not actually consumed 5000 claories today therby making me the worst sleeve patient ever. In fact my calories were actually pretty normal. What I noticed was I had not eaten some of my regularily scheduled food like my yogurt etc.
2. By logging it all before the day was over, I was able to make adjustments in what I'm planning for dinner and snacks to try and get the nutrition I had skipped earlier.
3. because I logged it, I can see the day is not a total wash calorie and nutrition wise so I can stop the negative self talk AND probably most important, stop the bad choices. The voice saying you blew it loser, let's just keep eating crap had to shut up when faced with the real numbers. Whew! I'm not a big, fat, out of control loser after all. I am only someone who made a bad choice after lunch, and I am now making good choices to minimize the bad choice.

I can't imagine ANYONE I know saying to me the things I was saying/thinking to myself. That negative,shaming voice in my head has been pretty quiet lately, but boy did it come roaring back to life today. Like many things in life, what I imagined was worse than the actual facts. Knowledge is power; so tracking and weighing give me impartial feedback about how I'm doing. Feeling better, calmer, in control and back on track.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #117

THAT is an awesome post. And exactly why I log everything, every little bite and nibble, that goes in my mouth as or immediately after eating it. Accountability is an awesome tool. You did great today.

And I totally get you on the shaming negative talk. Last night I went to bed calling myself a huge fat #%¥.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #118
Blabbermouth!!!

I've been calling myself everything but human...

Heather, I am sorry you didn't have a better time with your knee. hopefully the strap will help. I know exactly how it is to want to do something (like run) but you can't...

Sorry I can't post more right now - I have to go for now. Hang in there, everyone!!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Heather I so want to be where you are about exercise , right now it hurts to even stand up. I haven[t felt normal since the end of Oct..I want to be a runner!! i want crave exercise like you do . How long did it take for you to love it? Sorry you are having issues with your planned runs.

Well I had my Drs. appt yesterday , my first with him .Geez this man had to weight 350 lbs I was kinda shocked . He sent me for xrays. Did fasting bloodwork. I won't find out till next Thursday. I am going for a walk on the treadmill later for a half hr.. I have a bone density test coming up so I want to see what they say before I start running again.

Jesse~ I love air popped popcorn, not the movie kind. You did great to stay the course.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

BTW!! Did anyone see this weeks MY 600lb life?? OMG this woman just totally wasted her tool .She never got out of bed and she gained weight instead. She was totally in denial saying that she was doing everything she could do to lose the weight. I wonder if she had to pay for it herself or Medicaid paid for it. Cause if you have to private pay you have more invested and you are not likely to pay for it and then not do it.