LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Havefaith9
Stats: HW: 217 199.5/188.5/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: April 2014
Thoughts on getting Sleeve surgery?

I'm 5'4" and back up to 207. Did low carb last year and lost down to 170 for about one day. Thought I had finally found the "secret" to being thin, but I just have no discipline in any area of my life.

So I'm debating this surgery.

Thoughts?

HaveFaith
Havefaith9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Well you have to eat this way and even less of it after the surgery if you want to lose weight and keep it off...I don't know about maintenance...just a thought. Do what it takes to get yourself happy and healthy tho. Good luck...The sleeve looks like a better option than a bypass and is less invasive.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
No amount of anything will fix the issues that made you gain weight. Have you looked into counselling or hypnotherapy or exploring of issues as to why you gained weight again after the last loss? The sleeve will help with portion control aspect, but from what I've read the most success also comes with dietary changes and issue resolution.
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't have a lot of advice, but this discussion might interest you. I don't get it
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Not trying to hijack this thread, but just wanted to acknowledge the new threshold you've broken, Ntombi. Way to go!!!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Thanks very much!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havefaith9 View Post
I'm 5'4" and back up to 207. Did low carb last year and lost down to 170 for about one day. Thought I had finally found the "secret" to being thin, but I just have no discipline in any area of my life.

So I'm debating this surgery.

Thoughts?

HaveFaith
I'm not sure if it is what you want to hear, but I will tell you that WLS of any kind is going to demand a lot of discipline to be successful. It is a huge step that (in my opinion) requires big changes in eating and exercise and thinking. At least it did for me. The sleeve may be less invasive than a gastric bypass (and I'm not sure that I agree with that, actually...), but both are serious business... I will also agree that often people have many reasons for being overweight and WLS doesn't address the mental aspects, just helps give you an awesome tool to deal with the issue of eating. I am so, SO happy I had WLS - I have used this tool to get my life back - but I will be the first to tell you it isn't for everyone and it is (still) a daily battle. I don't know that I've found "the secret" to being thin or losing weight or keeping it off, but I do know what I need to do: eat less food, eat healthier food when I eat, and move my keister as often as I can. WLS gave me the second chance. I worked hard to get to where I am and I'm now working just as hard to not go back to where I was. Please visit the WLS threads we have on here to get more information/ideas/opinions. I'm pretty sure some other WLS people will check in and give you their views. I wish you the very best, whatever you decide!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 12-29-2013 at 12:30 AM..
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgidaho View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but just wanted to acknowledge the new threshold you've broken, Ntombi. Way to go!!!
Yes!! I second that! Congrats, Ntombi!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I'm not an expert by any means, but wanted to chime in here about the WLS experiences of people I care about. There are four people in my life who have had WLS and their experiences are as follows:

1) After 10 years, weighs WAY in excess of 400 pounds and health is deteriorating. No permanent life changes, no permanent weight loss.

2) After approximately 12 years, no permanent weight loss, no permanent life changes. She confided that the digestive side effects have been terrible.

3) After only a few months, weight is dropping quickly. Health is improving and activity levels have dramatically increased. Making better food choices.

4) After about three years, successfully maintaining weight loss. Runs 5 miles every morning, participates in spinning classes. Makes careful dietary selections.

What I have observed is that success comes only with dietary and lifestyle changes. WLS is not a panacea--it comes with some unpleasant side effects and obvious risks. I would encourage you to try the dietary and lifestyle changes first, since they will likely need to be made anyway. If low carb has worked for you in the past, challenge yourself to make it an interesting and workable way of life. That's what I'm doing and the benefits extend WAY beyond the obvious ones!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the replies ladies. I'm gonna try lc again this yr. Like you say, I have to eat this way and exercise anyway....why not do it without the surgery. I just don't know if I can make myself do it. If I can't get anywhere this year with it then I will think about having the surgery again next yr. At first I thought, "How great would it be to weigh 125 forever." Then it was like, "But I want to be able to eat junk everyday, too." lol Which leads to the therapy part...

I have thought of therapy. I rarely eat bc I am hungry. It's usually stress or boredom. But sweets is my downfall for sure. I also have a need to crunch something. I found that out this year on low carb. I don't care how it tastes, I just want that feeling in my mouth -- like slaw or peanuts.

Is there a chat room on low carb that you all go to or know about? I need accountability and someone to talk to when I get sideways with my eating.

Happy New Year!

HaveFaith
Old 12-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

HaveFaith---Odds are you're probably younger than me. I'm 51. And it took me awhile to get it right. What I can tell you is that I've been the queen of "lacks discipline". Junk food provided comfort, entertainment, and enjoyment. I love the tastes, smells, textures, sounds....plus, it's easy. But it also provided excruciating stomach pain, joint pain, headaches, fatigue, blurry vision, vertigo....and the list goes on. When I was younger, its effects were not quite as noticeable, but they were still damaging my body. At this point in life, I am looking at things differently. I don't want my remaining years to be sub-par. I've come to actually understand how brief that enjoyment actually is. It lasts, literally, just moments. But the enjoyment of improved health is continuous.

I challenge you to look at the long-term. Don't dwell on the sensations of food, but instead dwell on the physical effects of improved habits. Until you're able to conquer the feelings of deprivation that low carb (or any diet, for that matter) can cause, look for alternative foods. I've made some pretty killer cheesecakes--recipe found on this site--and chocolate, and jalapeno poppers, and...and...and...and I now find low carb to be the most indulgent, luxurious, tasty, and satisfying way of eating.

I haven't completely conquered the beast of food cravings, but he is seriously wounded. Give yourself time. Forgive yourself when you slip up. Look at this as a long-term investment in yourself instead of a short-term fix.

There are so many places on LCF where you can find accountability and support. Pop around throughout the site and read about the various plans we are on. Ask questions, as you have done here, until you find the right place. The people here are fantastic!

One more thing--many people do well with JUDDD, leaning towards low carb. It seems to help with eliminating the feeling of deprivation. At this point in my journey, it's not for me. Perhaps some day....
Old 12-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/205 @ 5'7" size 14/16, age 55 (-246#)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgidaho View Post
Yes, congrats to Ntombi on her accomplishment!! Even thru the holiday, as well; it isn't easy!
your pic looks gr8!!
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
If I could have lost maintained weight loss on my own then I would have. But I could not. You have discipline if you lost that much weight, surgery may be the tool you need for long-term maintenance. The sleeve has changed my life for the better in just about every way because it enabled me to change how I deal with food. Yes I did "the work", but without wls to help me, I never be where I am now.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/205 @ 5'7" size 14/16, age 55 (-246#)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
I AM A FOOD ADDICT. I posted this on a prior thread, you may find it helpful, as all of us have a story!
I can remember when I first had my band installed, and I had lost 80 pounds in 4 months. On someone weighing over 400 pounds, it was like spitting into an ocean; you really couldn't even see that I had lost that much. I went into a petsmart, loaded up 4 twenty pound sacks of cat litter in a shopping cart, and pushed it around for awhile....I was amazed how much weight it was.....now I've lost a large man-sized human being, 235 pounds worth, and cannot believe I am still alive...I am truly blessed and must have the heart of a lion not to have come out of this nightmare without any health issues. I had the typical triad....diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, 21 medications in all to manage those diseases....now all I take is a multivitamin. Like others here, my lipid profile has never looked better with getting rid of the carbs. The band was only part if it....the remainder is low carb eating....my BFF followed the same diet here, dropped 125 pounds, and got rid of her cane she used for her osteoarthritic knees. So it does work. If I would have thought I could lose that much weight in 33 months, I would have called myself a liar. It was insurmountable. Even 5 pounds is daunting, particularly if it's the last five pounds of a personal goal. It's still an all out WAR that you will be battling. It gets easier with time; but temptation is everywhere....I've stopped socializing around food now, as well-meaning people just don't get this way of life: "you gotta have carbs and fruit, your body doesn't need the fat as you will die from a heart attack"....yeah?? Then why don't I have diabetes anymore, and why is my cholesterol 172, HDL 65, LDL 92 triglycerides 90???? I've never eaten so much HWC, chocolate, cheese, avocados in my entire life!! Carbs are the ENEMY for my body, as is sugar in any form. Both cause intense food cravings with me....I won't even touch it as it takes a week for my body to get rid of the cravings. It's not worth it!! I ask family or well meaning friends: 'is my health important to you, do you care enough to support me on this new journey? If not, I'm sorry to have to leave you at the airport, as my ship has come in. I'm sailing now, enjoy yourself. No hard feelings!" I ended a 12 yr friendship with a girlfriend who didn't want me to change....should have seen how her jaw dropped when she saw how I looked after losing all this weight.....THESE are the memory recall items I use to get me thru tough times....as well as finding encouragement with all the LCF here. I love this website and the people here who are SO helpful and encouraging thru ones' darkest hours.
Holidays are full of emotions, good and bad; I'm an emotional eater...I put limits on the parties, get my rest, and inform hostesses everywhere that I will attend their event late as I have other obligations...even it it's washing my hair!! Just remember: YOU'VE GOTTA DO WHAT YOU'VE GOTTA DO; THIS MEANS PUTTING YOURSELF FIRST. If you don't, you will finish dead last. Which is worse?? Dead or last?? I didn't want to be either.....and women are horrible at putting themselves first.....family & friends come first, right? That's the way I was raised....women were the sacrifice. Heh heh heh....well, the meek shall inherit the Earth and I can assure you, that I am h*ll on wheels now!!! I've never felt better and MORE ALIVE. No longer am I just existing.......
Old 12-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harriet View Post
I AM A FOOD ADDICT. I posted this on a prior thread, you may find it helpful, as all of us have a story!
I can remember when I first had my band installed, and I had lost 80 pounds in 4 months. On someone weighing over 400 pounds, it was like spitting into an ocean; you really couldn't even see that I had lost that much. I went into a petsmart, loaded up 4 twenty pound sacks of cat litter in a shopping cart, and pushed it around for awhile....I was amazed how much weight it was.....now I've lost a large man-sized human being, 235 pounds worth, and cannot believe I am still alive...I am truly blessed and must have the heart of a lion not to have come out of this nightmare without any health issues. I had the typical triad....diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, 21 medications in all to manage those diseases....now all I take is a multivitamin. Like others here, my lipid profile has never looked better with getting rid of the carbs. The band was only part if it....the remainder is low carb eating....my BFF followed the same diet here, dropped 125 pounds, and got rid of her cane she used for her osteoarthritic knees. So it does work. If I would have thought I could lose that much weight in 33 months, I would have called myself a liar. It was insurmountable. Even 5 pounds is daunting, particularly if it's the last five pounds of a personal goal. It's still an all out WAR that you will be battling. It gets easier with time; but temptation is everywhere....I've stopped socializing around food now, as well-meaning people just don't get this way of life: "you gotta have carbs and fruit, your body doesn't need the fat as you will die from a heart attack"....yeah?? Then why don't I have diabetes anymore, and why is my cholesterol 172, HDL 65, LDL 92 triglycerides 90???? I've never eaten so much HWC, chocolate, cheese, avocados in my entire life!! Carbs are the ENEMY for my body, as is sugar in any form. Both cause intense food cravings with me....I won't even touch it as it takes a week for my body to get rid of the cravings. It's not worth it!! I ask family or well meaning friends: 'is my health important to you, do you care enough to support me on this new journey? If not, I'm sorry to have to leave you at the airport, as my ship has come in. I'm sailing now, enjoy yourself. No hard feelings!" I ended a 12 yr friendship with a girlfriend who didn't want me to change....should have seen how her jaw dropped when she saw how I looked after losing all this weight.....THESE are the memory recall items I use to get me thru tough times....as well as finding encouragement with all the LCF here. I love this website and the people here who are SO helpful and encouraging thru ones' darkest hours.
Holidays are full of emotions, good and bad; I'm an emotional eater...I put limits on the parties, get my rest, and inform hostesses everywhere that I will attend their event late as I have other obligations...even it it's washing my hair!! Just remember: YOU'VE GOTTA DO WHAT YOU'VE GOTTA DO; THIS MEANS PUTTING YOURSELF FIRST. If you don't, you will finish dead last. Which is worse?? Dead or last?? I didn't want to be either.....and women are horrible at putting themselves first.....family & friends come first, right? That's the way I was raised....women were the sacrifice. Heh heh heh....well, the meek shall inherit the Earth and I can assure you, that I am h*ll on wheels now!!! I've never felt better and MORE ALIVE. No longer am I just existing.......
In a way, we are all fighting for our lives here--at a minimum, QUALITY of life, at most, our life itself.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #16

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymuma View Post
No amount of anything will fix the issues that made you gain weight. Have you looked into counselling or hypnotherapy or exploring of issues as to why you gained weight again after the last loss? The sleeve will help with portion control aspect, but from what I've read the most success also comes with dietary changes and issue resolution.
Not everyone who needs to lose weight has emotional problems. My insulin levels were ridiculously out of whack and I needed every tool available to lose weight, that ended up including surgery. I understand what you are saying, and it is true, but keep in mind what doctor Atkins says (oops assuming you read DANDR) it's often more about hormones than anything.
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Not everyone who needs to lose weight has emotional problems. My insulin levels were ridiculously out of whack and I needed every tool available to lose weight, that ended up including surgery. I understand what you are saying, and it is true, but keep in mind what doctor Atkins says (oops assuming you read DANDR) it's often more about hormones than anything.
This is so true! One thing we frequently fail to acknowledge or recognize is how significantly food impacts our hormones. It is my belief that sometimes we assume we have an emotional attachment to food when, in reality, it's hormone-driven compulsions we are actually fighting. I used to think that my need for food was emotional. I didn't necessary want to eat, but my body was crying out for something. Looking back, I recognize it was primarily unstable blood sugar levels seeking relief.

I recently undertook an N=1 experiment. I'd been stalled for a couple of months and decided to shake things up by figuring out which carb foods caused stomach pain, sluggishness, etc. The holiday season is a perfect time to do this, huh? Anyhow, I intended to wrap things up after about 7-10 days, but came down with the flu. I didn't have the energy (or desire) to do anything about my diet, so I've been off-plan longer than desired.

....as of this morning, my fever is now only low-grade, so I made an omelet casserole and bacon (in the oven, which is easy) to get me through and am going back on-plan today...

What I found during this time:

I was hungry. I wanted carbs. Carbs are easy and easily accessible. I couldn't push through hunger until good food was available. I became weak when hungry. My moods and emotions are more unstable on carbs. I feel more hopelessness/sadness/despair on carbs. I'm a naturally happy and optimistic person, but problems seem more insurmountable on carbs, so it seriously affects my mood. I had more headaches, well, most of the time I had a low-grade headache. My stomach hurt regularly and I took Tums. I didn't feel "in control" (not just of food, but of many areas of my life). ...and, btw, I recognize that control is just an illusion, but you know what I mean... My sense of well-being was greatly diminished.

I could go on and on...but let's just leave it at this: for me, food compulsions may seem emotionally-driven, but are almost completely hormonally-driven and I feel lousy on a high carb diet. I will no longer care about a stall, quality of life is more important!
Old 01-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
This was true for me. Whatever hormonal changes occurred because of the surgery helped end my overwhelming urges to overeat. Once that was under control I was able to deal with the habits of using food for emotional comfort. I have found that new clothes are a feel good replacement for food. I buy cheaply and as I need them (mostly) but dressing nicely brings me so much pleasure. The other night I was out walking with my family and we started racing back to the house and I thought I am free! as I ran down the street. My VSG = freedom
Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 AM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I'm not sure if it is what you want to hear, but I will tell you that WLS of any kind is going to demand a lot of discipline to be successful. It is a huge step that (in my opinion) requires big changes in eating and exercise and thinking. At least it did for me. The sleeve may be less invasive than a gastric bypass (and I'm not sure that I agree with that, actually...), but both are serious business... I will also agree that often people have many reasons for being overweight and WLS doesn't address the mental aspects, just helps give you an awesome tool to deal with the issue of eating. I am so, SO happy I had WLS - I have used this tool to get my life back - but I will be the first to tell you it isn't for everyone and it is (still) a daily battle. I don't know that I've found "the secret" to being thin or losing weight or keeping it off, but I do know what I need to do: eat less food, eat healthier food when I eat, and move my keister as often as I can. WLS gave me the second chance. I worked hard to get to where I am and I'm now working just as hard to not go back to where I was. Please visit the WLS threads we have on here to get more information/ideas/opinions. I'm pretty sure some other WLS people will check in and give you their views. I wish you the very best, whatever you decide!
Excellent advice. I agree 100%.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
WLS fixes our stomach, it doesn't fix our head. I'm working from home today (it's like 50 below zero outside!) and find myself wandering into the kitchen for no reason. I'm not hungry, it's an old habit and I have to fight it off daily. For me, it's a continuous climb up a slippery slope.
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: missmisty
Stats: 237/131/140
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 2009 LC & VSG 1/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
If I could have lost maintained weight loss on my own then I would have. But I could not. You have discipline if you lost that much weight, surgery may be the tool you need for long-term maintenance. The sleeve has changed my life for the better in just about every way because it enabled me to change how I deal with food. Yes I did "the work", but without wls to help me, I never be where I am now.
I know I'm a little late on the reply but Jesse nailed it. I needed the VSG for weight maintenance for SURE. I've been a lurker on this board and usually post on ObesityHelp, but I think this board is looking more and more like a place I'd like to post more often because low carb is my reality and my way of eating. I once lost about 85 lbs and got down to a normal BMI and kept it off for 8 years. I thought I had the secret. I didn't. I was starving every single day for those 8 years. I don't know how I kept it up. I was only able to eat 1,000 calories a day to maintain that weight and with my huge stomach and hunger hormones yelling at me I was pretty much just starving. If I ate more than 1,000 cals, I was gaining weight rapidly. I finally was so sick of it I gained that weight back plus some extra. I tried and tried to lose it again and would lose some but would gain it back because I refused to feel hungry all the time and starve. I could never achieve the success again because the success was only achieved by feeling starving and I refused to go back to that hell.

After gaining all the weight back, I finally got diagnosed with diabetes type 2 at 35 years old. My BMI was 39. I was pissed off to be honest because I'd been dieting like mad and still stayed fat AND I had diabetes. It was like the universe was telling me to just live with the weight and give up.

I had the VSG 2 years ago and let me tell you it's changed my life. My BMI is normal. Losing weight was NOT torture. Maintenance doesn't feel like deprivation/starvation. The surgery made my hunger much more tolerable. It made eating high protein/low carb much more tolerable as well. It was like a miracle for someone like me who always felt hungry and could pack away a ton of food in a sitting (that was a big issue of mine). No more constant hunger--no more packing away a ton of food in a sitting. My A1C's are normal now. I will ALWAYS eat low carb. It's good for my diabetes that is in remission now, and it's good for my personal body because carbs make me gain and bloat and it ensures cravings too.

So to be honest, I would recommend the VSG if you feel like yo/yo dieting has finally just made you sick and tired of being sick and tired. This is a very strong tool. I think my success in maintaining so far (been maintaining about 15 months now) is the VSG itself that created great changes in my hunger hormones and my eating capacity--and my commitment to eating high protein, low carb and getting rid of drinking liquid calories (sodas, frappuccinos and the like). If I were sucking down liquid calories and chowing on "easy to eat" foods like chips, cookies, candies, mashed potatoes, pasta, (white carbs) I probably would have gained some weight back by now. The surgery will help you lose weight for sure--and it will help you with how much you can eat and some of your hunger --but maintaining that loss and keeping most of it off requires your commitment. If you only rely on the surgery to lose and especially keep off the weight, without putting forth any effort and eating bad foods, you will be sorely disappointed. One lady I knew lost 250 lbs. with the VSG, but when she couldn't get under 220 lbs, she just pretty much gave up and got back up to close to 400 lbs again. Best wishes.
missmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I think I've been heavy for so long that I kind of feel like its not bad enough to get surgery. That they won't approve me. But my whole family is large and has type 2 diabetes so it just feels normal. Then I see people close to the same weight as me getting this and I really want it. I keep flip flopping on this. All I know is that I am miserable. I've gone to the beach one time in my entire life without feeling ashamed. I am a recluse. Don't like going anywhere BC I don't want to be seen. I'm always tugging my pants up and trying to hide my belly. All my weight is belly and boobs. Its either lipo and breast reduction or wls. I'm about to eat the house stressing over which route to take. If I do lipo and reduction and then gain back up to same weight then I'll be wasting money and messing up the new boobs. But if the lipo and reduction works and gives me the boost i need to care about myself I might be able to keep it off and not need surgery. I think I'm nutso.

Last edited by Havefaith9; 03-16-2014 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 03-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havefaith9 View Post
I think I've been heavy for so long that I kind of feel like its not bad enough to get surgery. That they won't approve me. But my whole family is large and has type 2 diabetes so it just feels normal. Then I see people close to the same weight as me getting this and I really want it. I keep flip flopping on this. All I know is that I am miserable. I've gone to the beach one time in my entire life without feeling ashamed. I am a recluse. Don't like going anywhere BC I don't want to be seen. I'm always tugging my pants up and trying to hide my belly. All my weight is belly and boobs. Its either lipo and breast reduction or wls. I'm about to eat the house stressing over which route to take. If I do lipo and reduction and then gain back up to same weight then I'll be wasting money and messing up the new boobs. But if the lipo and reduction works and gives me the boost i need to care about myself I might be able to keep it off and not need surgery. I think I'm nutso.
You're not nutso The diet industry and the food industry and our own biology make us feel crazy at times. If you know how to do low carb healthy (and your weight loss says you do) you would probably be very successful with WLS. The fact that you come from a family where people are overweight and have type 2 diabetes suggests that you have the very metabolic issues that weight loss surgery can help solve. Why do you think the fact that you have been heavy all your life menas you shouldn't have WLS? Would you consider going to an informational meeting at a WLS program? If you pick a reputable one, a Center of Excellence, believe me, they aren't going to operate on you if you are "nutso" or shouldn't be having surgery. More information could help you weigh your choices, either way. There are other sites on the internet also that are just focused on WLS and are a wealth of information. Read them and you will hear all the good and the bad. I think you will be surprised how many people like you (you might be called a "light weight" ) there are. Google VSG. There are also a number of books out there you could read, even one called Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies You might also want to consider finding a counselor that specializes in food issues. Whether WLS is the answer for you, of course only you can decide. It was the answer for me. I feel like I got out of fat prison. I would undergo the surgery every year if I had to to feel this good. My surgeon told my husband that I added 10 - 15 years to my lifespan. But the real issue to me is no matter how many years I will or will not be around, the years I have left are filled with a quality of life that I never imagined existed.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #24

Liposuction can not remove obesity in one fell swoop. You'd have to have lipo over and over...
I don't know what your goal weight is... but let's say that your goal is at the height end of the healthy range on the height/weight charts.... that is 56lb. away from the weight you first posted in this thread.
It is considered unsafe to remove more than 6 liters of fat in one go... which is about 12lb. I am not trying to discourage you, but just want to make sure you know, in case you don't, that lipo is not a good option for addressing obesity.

The "lightweights" (which you would be considered a lightweight for a WLS patient) I have known who have had the sleeve look and feel absolutely marvelous, even long term. I am not so sure the sleeve is the best option for SMO (I started out at 355lb at my heaviest) even though I LOVE my sleeve. I struggle and I am still above my ideal weight 4 years later. Sometimes I wonder if that would be the case had I had a malabsorptive surgery. But seriously, I wish that I had the sleeve at 207. If weight is a lifelong battle for you, and you have co-morbidities, I would "nip it in the bud". I wish I had, when I was 20.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Old 03-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #25

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
even though I LOVE my sleeve. I struggle and I am still above my ideal weight 4 years later. Sometimes I wonder if that would be the case had I had a malabsorptive surgery.
This is something to wonder about, actually. I know many people with RNY that have regained. Yes, the initially lost to goal or below but couldn't make it stick. I am pretty sure that if you had chosen a malabsorptive route the surgery's mechanics (and my knowledge of how diligent you were with food choices!) would have brought you closer to goal that restrictive alone. The malabsorption doesn't last, and while it places you back on a more even playing field, the struggle is still real and still there. The only reason I'm not regaining is my exercise and food choices. I HAVE regained. I have reLOST and am now in a holding pattern - as long as my food choices are good.

The friends I know that did not lose to goal or have regained did not fully embrace their role in the whole process and did not make lifestyle changes as far as food from early out. As soon as on solids they adopted an "in moderation" viewpoint and slipped back into old (albeit it quantity reduced) eating habits.

Rather than look and wonder what it, you know that you have rocked your sleeve. You lost A LOT and while you struggle daily, it would be a struggle no matter what at this point anyway. You just continue to make your good food choices and move your body and that alone makes you a success story and an inspiration to so many people!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

I just need to add that many plastic surgeons, my doctor for sure being one of them, wouldn't do procedures on someone unless they had already lost the majority of their excess weight. My doctor interviewed me before agreeing to operate on me - she listened to the changes I had made with losing weight and exercise. She has turned down many people because their expectations and reality are so far apart. One more thing - at least for me - when you do gain weight back after plastic surgery, you regain it in weird places. It looks even more "wrong" than weight gain pre-surgery!

Weight loss surgery can help you achieve amazing things if you are ready for the lifestyle and eating changes necessary to lose and maintain the loss.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
WLS surgery is just a tool...not a miracle cure. I counsel WLS patients before and after surgery and have first hand knowledge of how many WLS patients eat around their band/sleeve/bypass and don't lose weight or worse, lose it and gain it (and then some) all back.

It still takes discipline and self-control because there is nothing to stop you from going back to old habits or eating the wrong foods. In fact, in the case of the sleeve and band, the wrong foods (sliders - cakes/cookies/etc.) are easier to get down than the stuff you need to eat (vegies and protein).

I would recommend some serious counselling to get your head in touch with why you eat and methods to correct this behavior before going to the time/expense/risk of WLS...or you may be one of the growing number who gain it back.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #28

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
In fact, in the case of the sleeve and band, the wrong foods (sliders - cakes/cookies/etc.) are easier to get down than the stuff you need to eat (vegies and protein).
Not just those, but the RNY as well. If you are willing to put up with the "consequences" of dumping, which actually lessen with each exposure, then you can pretty much eat anything. And slider foods are extremely detrimental to your weight loss here as well.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #29

Sleevers have their pyloric valve, so I actually speculate that we have fewer sliders than RNY or Band. Grazing is enemy #1 for me
Old 04-12-2014, 07:22 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Grazing for me too. If I go with the "protein first" rule then my sleeve rocks. If i choose to eat crackers or something then I can get in quite a lot of calories of that. If I ate many small meals throughout the day I would be able to overeat too.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote