Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
What Are We Doing/Eating Today - December!!!!!

This is my favorite time of the year. The lights, the (wishful thinking) snow, the giving. I love December!

Let's make it through this month no worse off than we started it. Food and exercise are still a priority despite everything else going on because we are worth every minute of it!!!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #2

Today's plan:

20 oz of water before breakfast (I've gotten out of this habit so picking it back up again)
B - 6 oz nonfat greek yogurt, 1.5 oz frozen cherries, splenda
water/tea
L - 1.5 oz turkey breast, chickpeas, tomato, avocado, snap peas, hummus
s - apple/pb or mint cookie (I drink WAAAAY too many of these lately and I need to cut back, if not for calories then for COST! A 5# bag lasts about 2-3 weeks at most!)
D - probably leftover turkey and veggies
s - if needed something protein-y

I'm really intrigued by the concept in the book I'm reading about racing weight. You frontload your day with your carbs when your body most needs them and back load your day with protein. I'm going to try this for a while and see what happens. The reasoning is that your body stores carb as fat when not used up, fat as fat but rarely protein as fat. If you frontload (eat all before dinner) your carbs your body uses them as energy (don't go overboard of course, they give you a calculation based on activity, etc) and doesn't have much left to store. In reverse you back load your day with protein so your body can use it when you are resting and repairing muscle.

Today is a stretch and strengthen day on my training plan so yoga if I can make it. Insanity if I can't. And a walk with Lucy - she's up to 1.4 miles now.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #3

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Checking in. Eating is ok. On Thanksgiving all I had for the main meal (hard to call it dinner since we ate at 3:00pm lol) was part of a turkey wing and some green beans that were cooked in bacon and onion (so good! I told my sister in law I am requesting this for our Christmas meal too!)
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sicca
Stats: 170/135/135
WOE: Atkins with a bit of Paleo
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
I'm really intrigued by the concept in the book I'm reading about racing weight. You frontload your day with your carbs when your body most needs them and back load your day with protein. I'm going to try this for a while and see what happens. The reasoning is that your body stores carb as fat when not used up, fat as fat but rarely protein as fat. If you frontload (eat all before dinner) your carbs your body uses them as energy (don't go overboard of course, they give you a calculation based on activity, etc) and doesn't have much left to store. In reverse you back load your day with protein so your body can use it when you are resting and repairing muscle.
This sounds like something that my body is already trying to tell me. I ALWAYS seem to gain when I eat late at night, even with very low carb items, however I have never tested it with just a straight protein-what would be good options? Like a boiled egg? Sliced meat? a hot dog? when my late night snacking kicks in maybe I just need to have the right stuff handy.

That's awesome you do insanity, I love that workout! Lately I seem to have NO time for exercise so I squeeze in a Focus T25 workout here and there and it's been great.....

OH and tonight we're having zucchini "noodles" with tomato sauce and country ground sausage topped with cheddar.

Jessica
35yo Wife and Mother of two amazing kids (ages 2 & 4)

Visit my Journal - My So Called Low Carb Life
Sicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Today's plan:

20 oz of water before breakfast (I've gotten out of this habit so picking it back up again)
B - 6 oz nonfat greek yogurt, 1.5 oz frozen cherries, splenda
water/tea
L - 1.5 oz turkey breast, chickpeas, tomato, avocado, snap peas, hummus
s - apple/pb or mint cookie (I drink WAAAAY too many of these lately and I need to cut back, if not for calories then for COST! A 5# bag lasts about 2-3 weeks at most!)
D - probably leftover turkey and veggies
s - if needed something protein-y

Today is a stretch and strengthen day on my training plan so yoga if I can make it. Insanity if I can't. And a walk with Lucy - she's up to 1.4 miles now.
I eat old fashioned oats every day for breakfast. At first I was worried about adding this, but it has not affected my weight or hunger. Maybe I'm following your plan by having them in the morning and eating lower carb the rest of the day. Sort of. I am active, but not doing any big workouts, just calastenics using my body weight for strength training (PT helped me develop a routine).
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I eat old fashioned oats every day for breakfast. At first I was worried about adding this, but it has not affected my weight or hunger. Maybe I'm following your plan by having them in the morning and eating lower carb the rest of the day. Sort of. I am active, but not doing any big workouts, just calastenics using my body weight for strength training (PT helped me develop a routine).
I can't eat oats because I have RH. It'll do me in to have straight up carbs without protein. I wonder if I can have a form of muesli or "overnight oats" (no sugar added of course) - steel cut or rolled oats soaked overnight in yogurt with fruit and nuts...
Old 12-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicca View Post
That's awesome you do insanity, I love that workout! Lately I seem to have NO time for exercise so I squeeze in a Focus T25 workout here and there and it's been great...
I have put T25 on my hubby's radar to get me for Christmas.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I can't eat oats because I have RH. It'll do me in to have straight up carbs without protein. I wonder if I can have a form of muesli or "overnight oats" (no sugar added of course) - steel cut or rolled oats soaked overnight in yogurt with fruit and nuts...
That's what I do. I measure out 1/3 cup of oats, 1 tablespoon of raisins and LOTS of cinnamon into microwave safe food containers. I make enough for the week and put them in the pantry. Before bed, I pour milk (no lactose problems ) onto the oats, add sf torani's syrup, and put it in the fridge. The next morning I microwave for a minute, cover again, and when I get to work it's very thick and delicious . Sometimes I add a tablespoon of slivered almonds or chopped walnuts. Yum!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

This is my favorite time of the year. The lights, the (wishful thinking) snow, the giving. I love December!

Let's make it through this month no worse off than we started it. Food and exercise are still a priority despite everything else going on because we are worth every minute of it!!!
This is exactly what my backyard looked like this afternoon. Big wet flakes sticking to everything. Not a fan of winter, but it sure was pretty
Old 12-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
This is exactly what my backyard looked like this afternoon. Big wet flakes sticking to everything. Not a fan of winter, but it sure was pretty
I don't like cold but I heart snow.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #11

Ran 1.5 miles in 15 minutes exactly. Then I came in for Lucy and walked her for a mile for a total of 2.5 miles. Tomorrow is supposed to be really nice (80) so another run. This weekend is supposed to be really cold and sleety. I feel for those running the Dallas marathon!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #12

Today's plan:

20 oz water already in before breakfast.
B - 6 oz nonfat greek yogurt, frozen cherries, splenda
water, tea w/splenda
L - turkey breast, chickpeas, tomato, avocado, snap peas, hummus
s - apple w/1 tbsp. pb
D - probably more of the same as lunch (unless hubby grills and then it'll be whatever protein he makes plus the veggies above)
s - if needed either beef jerky or (most likely) mint cookie protein drink

Workout - a run if it's as nice out as it's supposed to be, and a power yoga class this evening trying out a new place. I haven't been to a good power class since my studio "restructured" their staff and classes. I pay $50 a month and don't even go...
Old 12-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Hi Guys! I'm a bit stir crazy waiting for my left knee to decide it feels better so I can walk (for exercise) again. I'm thinking tomorrow after work I might attempt a walk.

I had a run-in with a few (albeit very small) pieces of pecan pie of which I am not proud. However, I am back on track now - trying to find a balance of eating that will allow me to lose gradually - I'd be happy with a pound a week. I still want to run the 8K but I know I need to go slow when I resume walking and then add distance and THEN add speed/jogging after my body gets used to the distance. I'm looking into the couch to 5k stuff, too.

Happy December! I wish I was somewhere I could see snow once in a while. I really miss snow.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Hi Guys! I'm a bit stir crazy waiting for my left knee to decide it feels better so I can walk (for exercise) again. I'm thinking tomorrow after work I might attempt a walk.

I had a run-in with a few (albeit very small) pieces of pecan pie of which I am not proud. However, I am back on track now - trying to find a balance of eating that will allow me to lose gradually - I'd be happy with a pound a week. I still want to run the 8K but I know I need to go slow when I resume walking and then add distance and THEN add speed/jogging after my body gets used to the distance. I'm looking into the couch to 5k stuff, too.

Happy December! I wish I was somewhere I could see snow once in a while. I really miss snow.
I know you want to do this. I want it for you!

Have you looked into the Galloway method yet? This man just qualified for the Boston Marathon at 68 using his run walk method. It's supposed to help protect you from injury.

And read about ChiRunning. It's a running form that makes running easier on you to run.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #15

Power yoga tonight. I miss having a sweaty hot practice! It had to have been pushing 95 in there with almost 20 people. And it was the basic power class too, not the advanced. I went with a friend and this time was better for her. I'm thinking about hitting this new studio more often.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm reading about Galloway now! Thank you!

I am very motivated to do the 8K and improve at my times. We are also probably going to get a treadmill for the house for a combo Christmas and anniversary gift...and Valentine's gift (those suckers are expensive!). I think treadmills are quite a bit easier on my knees than the road or sidewalks are, would you all agree?
Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I'm reading about Galloway now! Thank you!

I am very motivated to do the 8K and improve at my times. We are also probably going to get a treadmill for the house for a combo Christmas and anniversary gift...and Valentine's gift (those suckers are expensive!). I think treadmills are quite a bit easier on my knees than the road or sidewalks are, would you all agree?
Treadmills are easier on the knees for sure because the track has bounce and give to it unlike the ground! But, the moving track makes running "easier" (ha!) than outdoors because you don't need to propel yourself forward by pushing off. You simply pick up and put down your feet. Keeping the mill at a small incline helps mimic outdoor running, but there's really no substitute for it so keep doing some runs outside. The treadmill will help you get MORE runs in, which is good for training, but once or twice a week do an good outdoor run as well. And when you get to your longer distances do some of those outdoors too.

I'm wanting to get a treadmill for some quick short runs, but want to do my increased distances outside. Plus I hate cold so on cold cold days I'd use the mill.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #18

20 oz water before breakfast
B - nonfat plain greek yogurt with frozen cheeries and splenda (I forgot to put the flax on it - it's sitting right here on my desk in front of me too!!)
water, tea w/splenda
L - turkey (that's the last of that), chickpeas, tomato, avocado, snap peas, hummus
s - apple w/1 tbsp. pb
D - hopefully we'll grill some chicken so I'll have leftovers for the rest of the week! So that and some veggies - maybe broiled brussels sprouts. If not that, the more of the above.

Running hill repeats today boo. If I don't get to do that before I pick up my son then I'll do a few miles around the neighborhood.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

What you said about treadmills makes sense - now that I think about it. I noticed when I first started jogging outside that it seemed so much harder - and that is why! Also, once you've been jogging outside and then do it on a treadmill - well I noticed how much longer I could jog on the treadmill and that is also why! I'd like to get a treadmill for the outrageously hot and humid summers here as well as for rainy days and times when the only time I can walk is at 11PM...

I went out a while ago and walked a fast 1.5 miles. My knees feel fine so far. I could have done more and I even felt like I could jog but I didn't. I am not going to injure myself to the point I can't exercise for a few weeks or something! At least not injure myself on purpose...

I have to take some time and get the right foods to get into better habits of taking my lunches to work. I do take them about 85% of the time, but I've gotten in a rut with them and I don't like them. That leads me to eat things I shouldn't or to order out which is even worse for me... I have been eating salads more often but those require some food prepping. I wish I was more motivated. Right now I've been having a stressful week and it is all I can do to not totally pig out.

I ordered the basic Galloway book last night. I should have looked more closely at his website - I probably didn't need to get a book... Still, what I saw seems really promising. I hope I can hop in the "program" and be able to run the 8K.

Have a nice night, peoples! :P
Old 12-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #20

I would like to find one of his workshops near me.

Drove to Ft Worth today to help train at another facility.

B - mint cookie (driving)
Water/tea
L - chicken, chickpeas, tomato, avocado, snap peas and hummus
s - apple w/pb
D - probably the same as lunch

weather is getting bad tonight so probably insanity unless I can get out to yoga. We're getting freezing rain.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #21

B - 0% Fage nonfat, frozen cherries, splenda
water, tea
L - chicken breast, chickpeas, tomato, avocado, snap peas, hummus
s - apple w/pb
D - most likely more of the same

To do: hot yoga if I can make it on time, or a run if the streets are okay!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #22

My frozen fingers just deleted everything I spent the last 10 minutes typing. Basically it was a rant about the temp outside being 22 today and projected 19 tomorrow, and the manager on this (closed) unit coming into my office area and jacking the thermostat down to 58 degrees (yes I checked it when she left and turned it back up - I'm not suffering because she's having a hot flash.). Yesterday the bathroom was so cold I was peeing icicles (okay it just felt like it was that cold), and I was holding my bladder as long as physically possible to prevent going in there!

B - mint cookie protein (lunch will be earlier than normal and "heavier" (meaning not a container of raw veggies lol) than my usual fare
water, tea
L - my boss is taking me out for Christmas lunch at The Dove's Nest. It's "famous", google it lol. It's an antique store/tea room. I usually get the Santa Fe made into a wrap, hold the mayo, with fruit instead of the chips. Then I eat it without the wrap and half does me in!
s - I betcha I won't need one
D - no idea!

Workout - brought my clothes for a 3 mile run at the gym (too freaking cold outside!!!) and perhaps a sweaty yoga class afterwards
Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #23

20 oz before breakfast
B - 0% Fage plain, frozen cherries, splenda
water, tea (mostly tea lately!)
L - chicken breast, chickpeas, tomato, avocado, snap peas, hummus
s - apple w/pb
D - no idea yet. My fall back is always more of the same

Workout - mile warm up, stretch, 5 x 400 meter runs at a 5k pace, mile cool down and stretch. Specific. It's my half marathon training plan.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #24

I'm not sure if everyone is still around! Out of 24 posts in this thread 16 of them are mine!

How's everyone doing?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Quote:
My frozen fingers just deleted everything I spent the last 10 minutes typing. Basically it was a rant about the temp outside being 22 today and projected 19 tomorrow, and the manager on this (closed) unit coming into my office area and jacking the thermostat down to 58 degrees (yes I checked it when she left and turned it back up - I'm not suffering because she's having a hot flash.). Yesterday the bathroom was so cold I was peeing icicles (okay it just felt like it was that cold), and I was holding my bladder as long as physically possible to prevent going in there!
This is me every day at work! Ridiculous. I still can't believe how cold I always am since my sleeve! Every winter I just.can't.do.it.
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 220/130/120
Quote:
I'm not sure if everyone is still around! Out of 24 posts in this thread 16 of them are mine!

How's everyone doing?
I'm just reading along, absorbing info, while I work through "the plan."

This week is:

Breakfast: 2oz of either light Greek yogurt or cottage cheese
Snack: 4oz of water or almond milk with 1/2 scoop protein powder
Lunch: 2oz of either light Greek yogurt or cottage cheese
Dinner: 2oz of either light Greek yogurt or cottage cheese
Snack: coffee mug of bone broth... Still working on the turkey

I drink water or "lady earl grey" decaf tea. The crystal light and Mio caused way too much stomach feedback!

I can have mashed potato, unsweetened applesauce, or SF pudding, but doesn't seem like there's much value in any of that. I am so freaking full already, getting what I need.

I am boring =) I'm cooking up a storm, but for my son and hubby. I keep waiting to feel stir crazy about it and have the urge to dive face first into something, but I think I'll be ok!

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

B: 1/3 c old fashioned oats, 1/2 c milk, 1 TBS raisins, SF Pumpkin Spice Syrup
S: pure protein bar
L: HM turkey vegetable soup, 4 saltines
S: Chobani yogurt with a sprinkle of slivered almonds
D: Brown rice and lentils with some melted cheddar cheese
S: maybe some veggies and also a SF Chai Latte (1/2 c milk)

I can post this, but yesterday I was home sick with the never ever ever ending cold that retreats and then relapses and one of my meals consisted of a handful of holiday reese's bells. (Gee the foil is pretty!) What was different is that the old me might have stopped at a handful, but then been back in the bag every half hour until the handful was gone. The new me had some for lunch and then never revisted the bag. Nor will I revisit it tonight either. I feel like something has changed in me chemically and I LIKE IT!
Old 12-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #28

I've had a few days of "eat everything in sight" mode. Or so it seems! And it shows in my run today. My chip time was 35:52.3. I was 18/42 age group and 84/193 overall. If I'd have been on my game and run my best time it would have been more like 53rd overall and 12th in age group. But, it's still good.

Today was a 5k Santa Run. Everyone had a Santa suit on lol. It was a good time.

Then I took my Lucy to see Santa. My kids won't take pictures with him anymore, but my pretty girl doggie will.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131214_095820.jpg (69.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20131213_182013.jpg (38.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20131214_132909.jpg (27.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Jesse, Congrats at not revisiting the bag. I started that way, but it wasn't long before I was back to my old (pre-WLS) self and every second was spent thinking of when I would get to have another candy. I am very "bad" that way. Good news is I know it, and am trying hard to not fall back into those bad habits - at least it is still pretty rare. Your posted menu sounds good. I need to - and am trying to - eat about that much each day. I still usually add a protein shake - or half of one, however...

Heather - That run looks cute. I can imagine all those Santas running! lol Your "slow" time is my "hope-to-do-that-someday" time!! It wasn't thaaaat bad! I hear you on the eating everything in sight. I was doing great yesterday but somehow ended up making up for it at night. I am/was eating too much yogurt (the Chobani) ones with the stuff you add into it - I'm nuts for the lime with graham cracker pieces and mini white choc chips - I have to stop buying them. Then I got the late-night munchies and had a small bowl of Kashi cereal. I suppose it might not even be that bad, but when you're trying to lose like I am all those additional calories = no weight loss. The good news for both of us is we realize what we are doing and admit to it. Back in the day I would not have cared. I also used to feel like I was eating as much as I could on purpose, it seemed. I was. I was trying really hard to keep feelings down with food. I still do it, in a way, but to a much lesser degree.

And - thank you Jesus - I seem to have a bit of my weight loss mojo back. I lost whatever I gained last week - I was 200.2 lbs. yesterday - which puts me dangerously close to Onederland again. NEVER TO RETURN, might I add!! Once I get under 200 and back to where I started (my signature shows my "high" goal to be 182, which is my goal for that wedding I'm attending in March) I will do everything in my power to never go over 200 again. Actually, once I'm back/down to 182, I never want to even get close to 190... I guess I'm rambling on about my goals, but for me I kinda need those goals to keep motivated. That was one of the things that led to me gaining weight back - I sort of felt like I had stopped at a place where I looked and felt good. Then, I added back some foods... Then, my workouts went from 45 min down to 35 or even less... In retrospect I see how it happened. Now all I can do is learn from it and get to work at getting the weight off. But anyway, I am doing that and I am finding myself having a lot of willpower and it makes me feel good. Success breeds success and I like being successful!

I went for a 4.5 mile walk with a little jogging yesterday. I stretched before, during, and after it. My knees were sore some last night and a little achy today, but better than in the past. I need to use the foam roller again, for sure. I'm also contemplating a massage, too. Not sure about that still.

Food today:
Breakfast & snack was a pumpkin spice protein shake made with vanilla protein powder, milk, some sf pumpkin spice coffee creamer and some cinnamon. I also added a small amount of coffee to it...yummeh!
Lunch: homemade cheeseburger patty (no bun) with bleu and American cheese on it.
Rest of the day is probably a Greek yogurt, some salmon from the other night, and maybe a little salad or an apple with some peanut butter. Probably all of that, honestly. That, and tons of WATER - my other weight loss friend, in addition to exercise)!

Hi Everyone! Whatcha up to?

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 12-15-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Old 12-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #30

Weekends are still my downfall. So far today (and it's 2pm) I've had a protein drink. And a bit of tea (4oz maybe). Yeah that's it.