Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Heather - That run looks cute. I can imagine all those Santas running! lol Your "slow" time is my "hope-to-do-that-someday" time!! It wasn't thaaaat bad! I hear you on the eating everything in sight.

And - thank you Jesus - I seem to have a bit of my weight loss mojo back. NEVER TO RETURN, might I add!! Once I get under 200 and back to where I started (my signature shows my "high" goal to be 182, which is my goal for that wedding I'm attending in March) I will do everything in my power to never go over 200 again. Success breeds success and I like being successful!

I went for a 4.5 mile walk with a little jogging yesterday. I stretched before, during, and after it. My knees were sore some last night and a little achy today, but better than in the past. I need to use the foam roller again, for sure. I'm also contemplating a massage, too. Not sure about that still.
The Santas were fun. There was even a Chick-fil-a cow running dressed as Santa. I told myself no matter what I HAVE to beat the Santa cow in lol! It was a smaller local one that I got a free entry in because my employer was a sponsor. There's a REALLY BIG one in the Dallas area that I would have loved to do but it was the same day and not free lol.

You can totally get this weight off. Vigilance is key. Vigilant about what you eat. Vigilant about how often you weigh. Keeping that number in the forefront of your vision all the time, every day. Research shows that those who weigh themselves more frequently gain less weight. Because it's easier to ignore the weight gain if you don't "officially" see it. Think about it. When you KNOW the scale will be up you avoid it. But when you know it should be down you jump on it constantly...

You said in another post you wish you had never started eating XXX. Well... stop. You did that at one point in time! You know from them and from doing low carb before that once you get it out of your system you lose the cravings for it!

And I had another thought about your knees. Do you have any of these stretchy bands? This particular move is great for strengthening your IT band. You stand with it under your feet with your feet together (if yours is too long then cross it in front of you instead of it being straight). Then you side step across the room, stepping a little more than shoulder distance apart. It's not like a side lunge, you don't have to squat or bend. Just step. After a few reps you'll start to feel it in the muscle along the side of your hip/thigh. You'll know it's working!!

Pigeon is an excellent stretching pose too. You may not be able to fold all the way down to the ground at first (you can stay upright, go to forearms like this or all the way down with your chest and forehead on the ground - the further you reach the more the strecth), and your front shin might not be parallel (mine still isn't!) but you work to it. This you will REALLY feel in your glutes the next day. If your hip doesn't go to the ground and you feel tension trying to stay there put a pillow under the hip of your folded leg.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Jesse, Congrats at not revisiting the bag. I started that way, but it wasn't long before I was back to my old (pre-WLS) self and every second was spent thinking of when I would get to have another candy. :
I'm listening and learning.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
Quote:
Hi Guys! I'm a bit stir crazy waiting for my left knee to decide it feels better so I can walk (for exercise) again. I'm thinking tomorrow after work I might attempt a walk.

I had a run-in with a few (albeit very small) pieces of pecan pie of which I am not proud. However, I am back on track now - trying to find a balance of eating that will allow me to lose gradually - I'd be happy with a pound a week. I still want to run the 8K but I know I need to go slow when I resume walking and then add distance and THEN add speed/jogging after my body gets used to the distance. I'm looking into the couch to 5k stuff, too.

Happy December! I wish I was somewhere I could see snow once in a while. I really miss snow.
HT Don't beat yourself up about a piece of pie. This is life and I have learned to NEVER regret what I eat. You don't make a daily habit of eating pecan pie and no matter how dedicated you are you have to enjoy your life.
Here is something I posted on FB from a fitness person I follow... I hope it shows up.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I only have a minute right now, but wanted to thank you, Heather, for responding like you did! Your thoughts somehow made my own very clear - I know what I need to do, I have done it in the past and I can do it again. I took your advice and got on the scale today - and I really didn't want to. I was up a little, but that is the point! I then knew what it said so I was careful during the day because I want there to be a downward trend... Everything you said was true for me. I was doing so well and then I started sliding. Suddenly the little indulgences became daily (almost) necessities. Good news is I have seen even more of the light regarding what I need to do to keep losing. Thank you!!! Thanks also for the yoga poses. I will try them!

Chrissy, Thank you also for posting. If I had only had one piece of pie and walked away I wouldn't regret it. But, see, I said pieces...as in several over the course of a day. No, I sure don't eat pie every day, but I still have that...seed of a compulsive (emotional) overeater and that pie sent me perilously close to the edge of really messing up. I love how you have come to terms with eating but I am not there yet. I have scars all over my body as a result of years of not regretting - or even caring about what I ate. Those plastic surgeries were a combination of necessity and vanity, but those scars are forever reminders of how badly I messed up and how important it is I don't go back there ever again. I do regret not being healthier and I feel so lucky to have this second chance. I still enjoy food - way too much - but I am also enjoying living the life of an active, healthier person - something I don't regret at all!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 12-17-2013 at 11:06 PM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

One of my steadfast rules is weigh EVERYDAY. There are days when I start to bargain with myself about lets just skip it this one day.... but for me that leads to skipping it for a week, then a month and suddenly my pants aren't going to zip. when I don't want to weigh, I tell myself not seeing the number doesn't change the fact of what the number is ~ if I'm up I'm up. I also try not to get freaked out when it bounces and I tell myself I'm collecting data. I log it into my tracker everyday and look for trends. I know daily weighing for some people is not a good idea, but I know that for me it is the cornerstone for keeping my weight steady.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #36

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissykin View Post
HT Don't beat yourself up about a piece of pie. This is life and I have learned to NEVER regret what I eat. You don't make a daily habit of eating pecan pie and no matter how dedicated you are you have to enjoy your life.
Here is something I posted on FB from a fitness person I follow... I hope it shows up.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1
On the one hand, I like the quote, but on the other, there are people who truly feel like food addicts. In which case, that would be like saying to an alcoholic.... the holidays are full of egg nog, hot buttered rum and delicious wines... you should indulge.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
On the one hand, I like the quote, but on the other, there are people who truly feel like food addicts. In which case, that would be like saying to an alcoholic.... the holidays are full of egg nog, hot buttered rum and delicious wines... you should indulge.
I too get the sentiment. I'm one of those you speak of. I am a sugar addict and I can't (won't) go there. I know where I came from and how I got there. I applaud/admire those with that kind of control in moderation. I may not be able to eat much in a sitting, but if I makes the choice to eat sugar or other holiday treats then I know myself well enough to realize that I will eat THAT to the exclusion of everything else.

I've modified my own holiday foods that are full of flavor and good for you. You have to remember that higher fat foods make me nauseous.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

I needed some bacon fora a recipe and I finally decided to cook it in the oven on a cookie sheet. It turned out so good! Very evenly cooked, nice and straight, only a cookie sheet to clean up. It takes longer than frying or the foreman, but you don't have to babysit either. I'm cooking it at 300 degrees and it takes about 30 minutes. I will do this more often.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
My name is Hot Tamale, and I am a food addict.

I made a big decision last night - after a day of stupid choices which ended with two (albeit smalleish) pieces of pumpkin and pecan pie doused in whipped cream. I simply thought, "I have had at least one of EVERYTHING available in this house for Christmas. I do not need any more." And, so it is. I am done with cookies, candy, and pie. I am totally back on track. I got up this morning, made a pumpkin spice protein shake and went with my neighbor to the gym again. I walked/jogged a little over 3 miles and I feel good about myself right now.

I am tired of feeling bad about myself and my weight and how I look. I can't do much about my hair right now, but I can get back down to my lowest (183) and then at least hit my 179 goal. I saw a picture of me at about 185 and I looked really good and healthy and I know I felt awesome about myself. I need to get back there. Pronto! I'm not waiting until 2014 to do it - 6 more days of bad eating would have me at least ten pounds heavier. I am BACK.

Heather, you are right. I just need to give things up like I did initially. I obviously CAN do it, I just have to make that decision and DO IT. I flirted with moderation initially, but here is where it got me. I have only the mildest dumping issues when I eat badly; it doesn't deter me. Therefore I have to use my self-control and determination to do this. I have a wedding to attend in March and I think a beach vacation sometime this summer to prepare for. I need goals like that to keep me motivated. I CAN DO IT!!

I am also registering for the 8K. I will do my best and feel awesome when I finish!

Does anyone else have goals for the immediate future or 2014? Let's hear them!

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 12-26-2013 at 10:26 AM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
I'm with you HT! Have you ever read the Diet Cure? I have been thinking about using L Glutamine for carb cravings as the book suggests. I just think there is more to all of this than just "will power"
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 220/130/120
Merry Christmas, everyone! Hope Mair is doing well!

I am doing SO much better! Stupid C-diff! I am not lactose or artificial sweetener or anything intolerant!

I'm on the rung where I can eat a larger variety of things. Over this holiday, I ate super-well-cooked spaghetti squash with sauce, onions, garlic, and mushrooms with a very little bit of sweet italian sausage and parmesan cheese. Last night I had ham and bean soup with a tiny bit of ham, and that went well too. Today, scrambled egg, a couple nibbles of really crispy bacon and, later, a small bite of banana with yogurt. No problems with any of that either! I am keeping my portions under 1/4 cup at a time, but I can eat and drink again w/o issue! I am so happy!

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: joyful48
WOE: atkins
HT~ Ditto to everything you said

Heather ~you look awesome no one would guess that you had any issues with your weight in the past.

Today I had an Atkins shake and just plain turkey today . Gosh I feel so fat and sluggish from all that horrible eating over the holidays.
joyful48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: joyful48
WOE: atkins
Oh and my new gym is opening up so that my fitness assessment will be next week. I am excited to get started and I also got and exercise mat for here at home.
joyful48 is offline   Reply With Quote