LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
WLS WAGON - - DECEMBER!!!

Happy December WLSers!

It's the end of the year... so let's reflect on what happened this past year that was good, bad or ugly!

For me: my 1 Year Surgiversary is on 12/3. In that last year, I have lost all but 6 pounds of the weight that I "wanted" to lose. My focus has been on learning new eating habits, trying out new excercises and enjoying my body.

The ugly: I am still losing hair!

I am grateful for all of you who have helped me get through this past year, especially my Sleve Twin, Chewie!

VGS done by Dr. Garcia on 12/3/12.
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Gym, don't feel bad as I'm still losing hair too. I have just been super busy with the ft job and stuff. It's very hard adjusting. Good news is I hit another new low on Black Friday so it's working. I appreciate sharing this journey with you too. I'm not where I really wanted to be yet but I'm getting there. I still don't have the exercise as a habit. I am just lazy I guess.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #3

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
The hair thing comes in cycles. Mine's in a fall phase right now again.

The exercise thing... make it a priority now. Don't let excuses make it easy to skip. When the weight loss starts catching up with you then you have to depend on newly formed good dietary habits and consistent exercise to get you the rest of the way and help you maintain goal. If it's not a habit early out then it's harder later because you have "well I lost 150# without it before..." stuck in your head.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Alisa!!! Hang in there!! I had a bumpy start, too (lots of people do), but it gets easier and in a month you will barely even remember it!

Yeppers - My hair STILL falls out (but I am super sensitive to anesthesia and I have had two operations in 4 months, so I'd say that has a lot to do with it...). I don't like my hair right now, but I like being a size 14 and not a 32 so I'll deal with it! :P

I also strongly agree with Heather's exercise suggestion. It has served me so well. I feel stronger, it helps with stress, and it helps me not gain back every single pound I've lost. Start slowly, but start!!

I've had a bit of a bumpy year, but I've learned some things and in a way I've seen just how strong I am. I have high hopes for 2014, however... Thanks to all of you for helping me through it all.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
After mass, I went out to breakfast with my family. My daughter and I shared this incredible crabcakes eggs benedict. I cannot describe the deliciousness of this food. I jokingly said This is the first food that makes me regret my surgery! To which my daughter replied, Don't ever regret your surgery. You are so happy now. She added I mean you seemed happy before too, but now you are a lot more easy going. I thought about that, and yes it is easier to cope with what life throws at you when you're healthier. It doesn't make life perfect; but for me, more manegable. And the good stuff is even goodier So no, I don't regret my surgery, not for an instant, not even if it means I can only eat about 5 bites of the most divine breakfast food ever created. I love my sleeve.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Matrigna

My naseau didn't subside until I was off the IV pain meds. The next time I experienced big naseau was at day 9 when I became dehydrated. I found the first few weeks of recovery tough. I know some people were out shopping and back to work in a matter of daysd(or so it seemed from post I read) but I was not one of them. No matter, it was a small amount of time for the HUGE pay off I've gotten. Don't be discouraged, it will all be worth it. It might not feel like it today, but good times are coming. My advice for new sleevers is find ways to treat yourself because you no longer have food to comfort you. I got pedicures, bought new lotions,bought a boquet of flowers, new jammies, whatever book I wanted (instead of waiting for it from the library) lots of foot rubs from my husband... any little thing I could afford that added some pleasure to my day. Best wishes for speedy healing
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #7

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Checking in. I am not super happy with myself this year. I did maintain my weight +/- 5lb.... but that is nothing to brag about since I was trying to lose!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Checking in. I am not super happy with myself this year. I did maintain my weight +/- 5lb.... but that is nothing to brag about since I was trying to lose!
Maintaining is good, but looking at what you posted on the what are we eating thread, it does seem like you keep your calories in check and should be losing. I can see where that could be frustrating. What else can you change up?
Old 12-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Maintaining is good, but looking at what you posted on the what are we eating thread, it does seem like you keep your calories in check and should be losing. I can see where that could be frustrating. What else can you change up?
Increase calories.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
We are back from vacation. Up one pound, I can deal with that. The lack of exercise is what drove me nuts. I am used to being very active and by Sunday I could feel all my aches and pains coming back. Last night my back hurt so bad. We got home late last night and this morning I was back at kickboxing at 5:30. It was tough but I powered through. It is funny how fast the body reverts back to your old sluggish ways.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #11

Just shy of 7 pounds gone (6.9) since rearranging my eating around this race book I've been reading. Carbs early (yogurt, fruit), protein late (mint cookie). I've also replaced my liquid breakfast and afternoon snack (mint cookie) with solid food (yogurt/fruit and apple/pb). I've found found doing it this way I actually eat less calories overall and I have no desire to eat at night before bed. Adding ground flax to breakfast tomorrow to up calories, omegas and fiber carbs. I'm excited to see where this takes me and how it affects my race performance. I'll never be one of the top age group finishers but I'd like to get faster and increase distance.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I was told to add flax, too. I have to remember to get some. I love the one minute muffins and one would make a perfect breakfast with a little peanut butter or cream cheese, or some fruit or jam. I was also told to lay off the protein shakes and have "real food" instead to help keep me fuller. I have been craving apples and peanut butter & it fits the bill, too. I'm interested to see how it works for you, Heather! You are such a dedicated athlete!
PS: For those of you not so into exercise, I think (Heather, correct me if I'm wrong) setting goals and challenges for yourself involving exercise can make it more appealing. Knowing I'm working towards doing well in an event pushes me to want to do it more. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 12-03-2013 at 09:47 PM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I was told to add flax, too. I have to remember to get some. I love the one minute muffins and one would make a perfect breakfast with a little peanut butter or cream cheese, or some fruit or jam. I was also told to lay off the protein shakes and have "real food" instead to help keep me fuller.

PS: For those of you not so into exercise, I think (Heather, correct me if I'm wrong) setting goals and challenges for yourself involving exercise can make it more appealing. Knowing I'm working towards doing well in an event pushes me to want to do it more. Just my 2 cents...
I used to eat flax with breakfast every day. Then I got in the habit of driving a protein drink for breakfast because it was easier. It's not that I'm any hungrier either way. I think it's more a mental thing. I can't eat this because it's not heavier on the protein so I'll just skip it... things like protein bars, popcorn, whatever. Ditto with food earlier. Whatever it is it's clicking on my brain right now.

That's the reason I register for so many races. To challenge myself. I know I would have been content plugging along doing 5ks - which is why I registered and paid (a lot) for the 10k. And another one. And a 15k. And a half. I have over $100 "on the line" that I paid for that half so I know I'll do it - I can't say I would have attempted it without that motivator.

Same thing with my yoga. I started basic and was afraid to try power but did. Was afraid to try acro but did. It is all challenging, the inversions, the arm balances, the flying. I thrive on challenge, otherwise I wouldn't love my exercise as much. Hence the Insanity too lol.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have been really trying to educate myself on nutrition. One of the things I read was that you should consume some casein protein before bed for not only your metabolism but for muscle building.

I try to eat a Chobani yogurt every night and on nights I do I have noticed I am down anywhere from a tenth of a pound to almost a pound the next day, this happens consistently.

I am not trying to lose weight I am trying to learn maintenance and eat around 1,600 to 2,000 calories a day depending on my activity. My carbs are always over 100 since I drink so much Starbucks and don't do a skinny.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Is there any holiday challenges going on here? I am looking for something new and would like to see more activity in this forum.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissykin View Post
Is there any holiday challenges going on here? I am looking for something new and would like to see more activity in this forum.
Ditto. We used to. Let's think of one for now through new year!

8.5 down since restructuring nutrients and no "suffering" lol.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

My heart is heavy. A student at the high school where I teach was killed in a car accident on the way to school. The raw grief flowing from the student body is heartwrenching. I pray for her family and all of us in her school community. It hurts. And I am hugging my loved ones tonight and offering a prayer of gratitude for the blessing of another day with them. There is no day but this day.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #18

Jesse I'm so sorry to hear that. I lost my brother in a car accident at a young age. He was not in high school but he was in his early 20's. I remember losing friends in school. So very tragic. I will keep your town in my thoughts.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #19

I'm in a frozen wasteland. But I used it as an excuse to not go in to work. It's not supposed to stop anytime soon.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: joyful48
WOE: atkins
Its been a while since I posted , I have been laid low with sciatica started about 6 week ago and got progressively worse , now I am on steroids. Ugh ! I have put on more lbs being since I have been flat on my back. I have signed up for a gym that is supposed to open up in Jan. . It is time for me to get back on track . My clothes are not fitting me ACK
joyful48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 210/145/110
WOE: Primal-ish (WLS 11/29/13)
Hiya! 17 lbs down over here! I feel good enough to drive, wear jeans out, and stress over the tiny amount of calories... So pretty darn good now =)

Will I have to worry about hernias past the doc's permission to really exercise or will it always be a concern. I want to start lifting, when i can start, but i wonder about hernia risk and stuff early and later out. I need to read up on that more i guess!

I'm living on Unjury chicken soup mix. It's like wonton soup broth and I think I may be addicted =) Sunday I can try yogurt. Today it was unsweetened almond milk. I didnt like the sweet shake stuff with water so we'll see tomorrow if almond milk helps. I'm mostly on clear fluids though. That and 4oz protein supplant 3x day, all Isopure RTD and unjury chicken. Finally broke 200 calories yesterday and did like 250 today.

I've been able to get out and walk a lot.

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful48 View Post
Its been a while since I posted , I have been laid low with sciatica started about 6 week ago and got progressively worse , now I am on steroids. Ugh ! I have put on more lbs being since I have been flat on my back. I have signed up for a gym that is supposed to open up in Jan. . It is time for me to get back on track . My clothes are not fitting me ACK
I'm sure you've tried all kinds of things but there are all kinds of good yoga stretches for sciatica. Pigeon is an excellent one. I love/hate pigeon pose. Spinals twists are good too. Anything that stretches the piriformis muscle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post
Hiya! 17 lbs down over here! I feel good enough to drive, wear jeans out, and stress over the tiny amount of calories... So pretty darn good now =)

Will I have to worry about hernias past the doc's permission to really exercise or will it always be a concern. I want to start lifting, when i can start, but i wonder about hernia risk and stuff early and later out. I need to read up on that more i guess!

I'm living on Unjury chicken soup mix. It's like wonton soup broth and I think I may be addicted =) Sunday I can try yogurt. Today it was unsweetened almond milk. I didnt like the sweet shake stuff with water so we'll see tomorrow if almond milk helps. I'm mostly on clear fluids though. That and 4oz protein supplant 3x day, all Isopure RTD and unjury chicken. Finally broke 200 calories yesterday and did like 250 today.

Anywhere you've had an incision you can have a hernia. The risk lessons with time but it can happen even years out.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

I got a flat tire on my way to work yesterday, and my husband had to come and change it in - 12 degrees, I have no idea what the windchill was, that was the air temp. Poor guy, when he got to work he said his knees really hurt so he went to the rest room and discovered they had huge blisters on them! He got frostbite through his jeans while he was changing my tire. this is such a good man, when I called him he came without complaint, changed the tire, kissed me goodbye and said cheerfully, see you tonight. All this crazy weather! Ice and snow in the south, bitter winds up here, more snow coming... I'm going to Florida right after Christmas to see my son's HS Band march in the Gatorbowl parade and then at Disney World. Even if it's cold by Florida standards (and I hope it's not ) it will be nice to escape the deep freeze.

My weight is holding very steady, I dropped another pound and it stays in the same 2 pound range from whatever my lowest was. So lowest so far is 156, I was 158 yesterday and 157 today. I eat pretty much the same thing during the work week everyday ~ oatmeal, protein bar, yogurt and a high protein lunch ( ex leftover steak and some broccoli) and then dinner when I get home. I eat pretty much the same thing my family is having, just a smaller portion. Chili, beef stew, chicken enchiladas, etc. Add a couple sf chai lattes and I get around 1200 - 1400 calories a day, with about on average 75 grams of protein. Seems to be working so far.

Last edited by Jesse; 12-07-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Old 12-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post

Sounds like your recovery is going well ~ glad to hear it!
Old 12-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #25

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Hi all. Sorry to have been MIA. I have no time anymore with working full time, cooking, cleaning, decorating, shopping. Welcome to all the newbies. I'll try to come back more often.

I'm not getting in enough calories according to my fitness pal. I am getting plenty of water and protein though so I'm not overly concerned. There is just not enough time.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Hi all. Sorry to have been MIA. I have no time anymore with working full time, cooking, cleaning, decorating, shopping. Welcome to all the newbies. I'll try to come back more often.

I'm not getting in enough calories according to my fitness pal. I am getting plenty of water and protein though so I'm not overly concerned. There is just not enough time.
I only started getting enough calories according to my tracker once I got to what I think of as maintenence According to my tracker, if I eat 1200 calories a day, I will be five pounds lighter in a few weeks. Ummm no, I am not really losing at 1200. Alos, my tracker says I eat too much protein So definately, one size calorie consumption does not fit all, I use it to make sure I am meeting my targets and ignore it's preset amounts.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post

Sounds like my life but add chauffering kids, yoga and half marathon training to the mix!

My calorie tracker (we aren't allowed to name them per tos remember) never thinks I take in enough calories. You can set your own amount too so it tells you that less often.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #28

I'm still iced in!
Old 12-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Crazy weather in Texas! It's snowing here again, roads are slippery, but you can drive if cautious. Sheer ice though, no way to make it safe
Old 12-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: joyful48
WOE: atkins
Heather~ Thanks for the advice , I took the last prednisone this morning, Still having pain going down my leg. Gee I have a 12 hr drive back to New Orleans in a week an a half , I sure hope my back is better. Hey I used to live in Longview Tx. and it snowed one year and I had to miss work cause I couldn't get out out of my driveway!

Last edited by joyful48; 12-08-2013 at 04:01 PM..
joyful48 is offline   Reply With Quote