Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post
Ugh. The more time that goes on the more I'm convinced that ALL artificial sweeteners are messing with me! That and/or dairy. (I.e., eat, cramp, restroom woes). I have tried a day of all almond milk with protein powder, then a day of just yogurt or cottage cheese, both with same outcome, so I'm thinking artificial sweeteners. I HATE having to deal with it, regardless. I've chewed well, gone slow, eaten tiny amounts at a time, etc.

I can have canned salmon or tuna this week too. Tuna makes me gag and I've stayed away from it since I was little! I am sure salmon would do the same. Bought salmon anyway, wild planet brand... Will try that at home later this week.

My first checkup with the surgeon is this coming friday. I may call beforehand if the cramping and and bolting to the restroom gets worse.
Lactose intolerance is a common development post op. If your protein is whey, that's lactose. As is yogurt and cottage cheese of course. You might have been a touch intolerant pre-op and it just exacerbated it with surgery. LI = gas, bloating and/or abdominal cramps w/or w/out diarrhea.

I can't stand tuna either. Any seafood for that matter.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #62

I suggest going with a bland, boring diet and slowly introducing one item at a time over a period of a few days and see which one(s) are the culprit.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #63
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I had similar issues. I used Lactaid for about 6 months then started blending it...now I'm fine. Sadly, nothing bugs me too much in that department. I did learn the hard way that I have to be careful about eating things, though, with this ulcer. I heard that, while you are super sensitive right after surgery to a lot of things (sugar in particular) that your stomach can adapt and get over that issue. I would urge anyone who has WLS to just never go back to sugar! It can be one thing that is just not an issue anymore... Wish I had never tried it!

When I first was allowed to go back to solid food, I was instructed the first foods should be either a white flaky fish or cottage cheese. I picked cod and it was the most delicious inch or two of fish I ever ate! lol Eggs came a lot later because I was told they are harder to digest. I overdosed on cottage cheese before surgery and have not had it since...
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I heard that, while you are super sensitive right after surgery to a lot of things (sugar in particular) that your stomach can adapt and get over that issue. I would urge anyone who has WLS to just never go back to sugar! It can be one thing that is just not an issue anymore... Wish I had never tried it!
Ditto. It's my saving grace. 3 years and 9 months post op and no sugar. I don't miss it at all. Don't do it. Don't even start "in moderation". You CAN live quite well without it.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #65

Okay. Yeah. Just tried one of the quest bars I won. No go. I made sure it was a regular one and not a "natural" cuz I heard those upset your stomach. So. I couldn't even eat a whole one. First, I didn't like the taste. It was a brownie one. The texture is HORRID. I even earned it like I heard ppl say to do. Why are they so shiny?

Now I'm nauseous and my stomach is just rumbling like it all wants to come right back out. No more for me.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Awww Heather, I have tried many of them, but none of them were chocolate. I didn't like the peanut butter and jelly one and the apple pie one and the lemon pie ones are just so-so in my opinion. I do love the coconut cashew one, however. They allegedly have a bunch of fiber - I guess maybe it is why your tummy is rumbling?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #67

Quote:
Awww Heather, I have tried many of them, but none of them were chocolate. I didn't like the peanut butter and jelly one and the apple pie one and the lemon pie ones are just so-so in my opinion. I do love the coconut cashew one, however. They allegedly have a bunch of fiber - I guess maybe it is why your tummy is rumbling?
Maybe, maybe not. I can eat a bunch of Fiber1 with no probs. These though don't sit well!
Old 12-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #68

I wanted to share something. This is me over the past year. I had a car accident last february in which I exacerbated a tennis elbow injury so much that I had to have it injected and braced. I also broke a few ribs. That means I cut way back on my workouts, mainly yoga, because I left crying one morning I was in so much pain.

The picture of the car doesn't look like much, but the picture isn't sideways. The car is. In a 6 foot ditch, facing the OPPOSITE of the way I was driving, with the rear axle broken and flipped, and all front and side airbags deployed.

Notice when my weight (blue) and my fat mass (yellow) started to go up. Right after February when my workouts stopped. Notice when it picked up (down?) again... when I started getting a little more serious about running. The dots are me. The colored stripe is "normal" range.

Also notice the reason that I think BMI values are a bunch of baloney! My BMI is top of the normal range, and actually pushed into overweight with one or two weightings. But look how far BELOW normal my fat mass is. BMI does not differentiate between fat or muscle when it does the math. So, even though I obviously have gained a little bit of fat my composition is still quite a lot of muscle. I'd like to drop a few pounds because I know I can (at least the 5-10 that I put on since February) because that will help with my running and further decrease my fat mass.

So, those of you struggling with what the scale tells you - know that it does not always see the big picture. Take everything into account. Sure, you know if it goes up that's not a good thing if you haven't been working out or eating right. But when you are and you see it bounce... there's always something else going on... fat coming off and muscle coming on perhaps?

Anyway, I think my original intent with this post was to show how IMPORTANT a regular exercise habit is (even if you hate it!) and what a difference it really does make. My eating hasn't changed much. I still eat well most of the time with occasional bouts of "eating everything in sight" (or so it feels!). But it's clearly the EXERCISE that's really really really key in maintaining once you get a certain point out. So get in that habit as early as possible!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg withings.jpg (33.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg car.jpg (19.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 210/145/110
WOE: Primal-ish (WLS 11/29/13)
Heather, thanks for posting that. I've been walking, but I need to step it up this week. First day back at the office and I've been up moving not nearly enough. Tonight, walking or bust!

You know, it IS the whey too. I read that whey has virtually no lactose but something in itwas was with me! I ate half of an egg this AM and lots of tea with true via and I feel great... Absolutely no problem at all today. I need to pack something tomorrow so i don't go all day on empty again but i was so paranoid about those "blow out in public" horror stories you hear! And how to poach an egg at work? I'm trying jay Robb egg white protein tonight. Since it seems I can do eggs just fine and sucking back lots of soy scares me. I'll revisit the whey in a week or so. Thank you so much, guys!

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:41 AM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
I was gone for a week at Thanksgiving and I fractured my foot two weeks ago I tried working out last Monday and I left class early because my foot hurt so bad. I was worried about losing my fitness after only 3/4 of a workout in two weeks so I went back yesterday. I cannot believe how fast my body went back to slug mode. I was so sore this morning but I ate my Tylenol and headed back to kickboxing this morning. Two for two this week already! I feel good to be back in the saddle.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Glad you're starting to feel better, Chrissykin!

Good morning, everyone!

I figured out that whey concentrate in some shakes is different from whey isolate in others. Unjury agrees with me =) I'll work my way through the sample packets and egg white protein powder and then re-access the lactose thing. It's HARD getting in your protein when you're trying to eat three times a day too! I'm going overboard by my NUT's standards, since I am making sure I drink some protein supplement every day, but not quite meeting what *I* need, especially since the calories are so low too right now. So I'm working on upping my protein. Also water. I'm not hydrating myself nearly enough for my liking. My calves are sore just from walking; I am up to 1.5 miles now. That shouldn't cause muscle soreness! I'm such a lightweight!

I looked at the can of salmon last night, the one I've been refusing to touch because I've never cared for the smell of fish, especially canned, then compared that to the protein in 1/2 an egg. Guess what won? I choked down that smelly canned fish, for the first time since.... ever, actually. It wasn't bad! I called my mother and was like I"m eating canned fish, can you believe it?! Best of all, it didn't cause any issues. So eggs and salmon. I now have two things that I can eat =)

Last edited by Matrigna; 12-18-2013 at 08:28 AM..
Old 12-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #72

3 times a day?
Old 12-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #73

Oh the pain. I used to have migraines to the tune of 14-15 total days a month.

I hadn't had one in almost 4 years post op. I have one today and want to cry, vomit, cut my head off... I'm not entirely sure.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #74

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Just popping in... my eating has been horrible and I feel horrible. I am SICK of eating out.... so many celebrations, lunches, dinners.... ug. On a positive note I went on a 3.5 hour canopy tour on Saturday which include hiking, zip-lining, rappelling, and high, high bridge crossing. Could I have done that at my heaviest? No. Not even if I begged, I would not be allowed!
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Just popping in... my eating has been horrible and I feel horrible. I am SICK of eating out.... so many celebrations, lunches, dinners.... ug. On a positive note I went on a 3.5 hour canopy tour on Saturday which include hiking, zip-lining, rappelling, and high, high bridge crossing. Could I have done that at my heaviest? No. Not even if I begged, I would not be allowed!
That sounds so FUN!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
That sounds so FUN!
It was... and there was SNOW... a total novelty for a born-and-raised Southern Ca gal
I'll post pics later
Old 12-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #77

Quote:
It was... and there was SNOW... a total novelty for a born-and-raised Southern Ca gal
I'll post pics later
Snow? Not ice?
Old 12-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #78

Things just got real.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131219_162857.jpg (46.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #79

Here's some zip lining pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1524770_647202205323091_1464132795_n.jpg (100.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20131214_111204.jpg (24.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20131214_104709.jpg (21.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20131214_103845.jpg (28.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg PC140005.jpg (50.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg PC140025.jpg (87.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (70.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #80

Quote:
Here's some zip lining pics!
You're so cute!!! Fun!
Old 12-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Running marathons, going on ziplines...a few years ago could you even have dreamed of doing these things? It is amazing what we are now able to do! I can remember how absolutely awful I felt about myself as well as how bad I felt physically. I am so lucky to have been able to have WLS...and so happy I worked hard to lose. I'm even happy I'm trying hard to stay "smaller." Life is so much better/easier/more fulfilling now.

You ladies rock!!
Old 12-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #82
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Mair
I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas! Today is my last until 1/20. I have my surgery on 12/26. Looking forward to 2014!
Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #83
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh Mair! Hope you get to see this!!! Good Luck!!! We'll be thinking of you!
Old 12-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Mair, GOOD LUCK and hope all goes great!

The zip lining pics are great, Maryposa! Looks so fun, I would love to do that!

Heather, when's the race?

So, maybe it's not lactose. Ugh. Kept me up all last night. My surgeon has called in Flagyl and wants me to sip plenty of salty stuff. Hopefully, I'll be good soon!

Last edited by Matrigna; 12-21-2013 at 05:48 AM..
Old 12-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Zip lining is something I want to work up the courage to try At least my weight isn't stopping me from doing it, my fear of jumping off the platform until the slack tightens is what I'm afraid of. But if the opportunity comes up, I will make myself do it. Today's NSV, I renewed my driver's license and I put my true weight on the application without flinching And it was fun to note that it was 100 pounds less than the current license (which of course was actually lower than my true weight, because somehow it was less painful to write 250 than 290). Now I'm all up to date and the picture is way different!
Old 12-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Zip lining is something I want to work up the courage to try At least my weight isn't stopping me from doing it, my fear of jumping off the platform until the slack tightens is what I'm afraid of.
I did it once. It was a post 5k zip line, so it was short and no frills. But you're right... it's that initial step off the platform fear that gets you!! It's a total adrenaline rush though. It took me a bit to get the courage to just step off and trust, even though I'd already seen hundreds do it before me!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
How things change. Leaving for Florida in less than a week, and what am I most looking forward to? Walking and walking and walking outside. Long walks everyday. Can't wait.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

Come on down, Jesse - It is supposed to be 85 or higher where I am today. So hot I'd rather walk inside!
Old 12-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #89

Quote:
Come on down, Jesse - It is supposed to be 85 or higher where I am today. So hot I'd rather walk inside!
My type of running weather lol.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

I prefer it about 15 degrees cooler...

Well, I'm struggling through making cookies... My mom was a fantastic baker, and I learned a lot from her - too much when it comes to making cookies I feel like I can't resist! I had a few yesterday...I have been much better today. Of course, I'll be making pies tomorrow... I had enough pie at Thanksgiving - I don't think pie will be an issue this time around. I am just not going to eat it. I am also giving away many of the cookies to my neighbors tomorrow, so that will also help.

I walked and jogged just about 5 miles Saturday. It wasn't nearly as bad as I feared it might be afterwards (with knee pain). I didn't run yesterday on purpose and today time just got away from me with a few appointments and things I had to do, so my knees had two days off. Tomorrow I get to go check out a local gym with my neighbor who is a member... I plan to take full advantage of the machines to get a good workout in (which will hopefully also make me not want to mess up progress by eating any more cookies...).

Well, Ladies (& lurkers...), My time online will be really limited in the next day and a half or two with last-minute Christmas things to do, so I will tell you all Merry Christmas - or Happy Holidays - & I consider our threads and all of you to all be special gifts! Have fun & special times with your families! See you in a few days, if not sooner!

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 12-23-2013 at 05:43 PM..