Old 12-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful48 View Post
Jesse~ it's low 80's here in FL. Your dh is a doll sorry he got frostbite
sounds delightful! No frostbite there. (although I did get some killer sunburns vacationing in Florida back in the day when we used to think baby oil and suntanning was a good idea )
Jesse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Freedom!!!! Sort of... I'm back at work lol! But I'm not iced in! All the stores are sold out of everything so hopefully they can get some deliveries in... We're talking no bread, no milk, no nothing! There have got to be some HOARDERS out there. There's no way that every place around can be sold out of everything after a period of 2-3 days unless people were just buying up everything to hoard it in case we never unthawed...
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #34

My boss and my officemate haven't made it in yet. One lives here in town where I work (which looks like it's been thawed at least a day or so, no white on the ground anywhere) and the other lives out near me (which the roads are mostly clear but the ground and roofs are still frozen over with ice).
Old 12-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 210/145/110
WOE: Primal-ish (WLS 11/29/13)
Everyone worked from home today. All of the VA-DC-MD area got it, I hear. I'm already working from home all of this week. Today was my first day back, working. It was a BUSY day! I keep waiting to need a nap since I've been home from the hospital but no need/urge so far. Watch-- it'll strike when i actually have to start driving in, next week!

Today I ate a tablespoon of yogurt with my breakfast, lunch, and dinner 4oz protein drink. It caused some bowel issues but hit the stomach well. I'm finding the syntrax fruit flavor protein powder sample packets kind of gross so far. Strawberry kiwi was today.... wouldn't order it again.

Down 19.something lbs! Too icy to get out there and walk, too busy with kid and hubby home and work to escape and walk the stores. I'll fix that tomorrow. I did a lot of light housework, but I'm not sure that counts =)

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #36

I never made December goals. I was driving the work looking at all the white on the ground and thinking back to my pre-op self. Particularly my pre-op self in February 2010, roughly the month before surgery, when it snowed quite a bit here and I was out playing in it.

I actually captioned that last one "Hmmm... not very flattering bundled all up laying the snow!" hoping that people would think I was wearing lots of clothes instead of just being fat. I had on a tshirt, a hoodie, and a pair of sweatpants because I didn't own anything else "warm" enough to wear in snow. This, pajamas and scrubs pretty much. I owned ONE pair of jeans. (Now I own about 45!)

I've been preparing my half marathon training plan, getting all my dates ready, getting all my training needs, etc for my half in March. I know I've mentioned that it's on the 4 year anniversary of my WLS. It was a choice between that one and one I *really* wanted to do the weekend before - but the date cinched it. I may get down on myself from time to time about a poochy stomach, or 10 extra pounds, but when I see things like this, or remember days like this I KNOW how far I've come. I wanted to cry thinking about that girl. The one that was afraid to meet people or do things or go places because she was afraid someone might notice she was fat and judge her. She was afraid to put herself out there or do anything awesome because it would call attention to her. She never thought herself good enough to go out and buy new clothes, or anything else for herself at all, because she was too fat to look good in it. Boy has all this changed. That fat girl right there, who could only spend 10 minutes (TOPS) that day playing in the snow with her family, 4 years later is a skilled yogini, a runner, a sometimes (okay, always) over the top self shopper, and is training for a half marathon with plans for a full marathon to follow.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

I can't tell you how inspiring that is, to see and hear, Heather. I'm so happy for you that you're in a great place now and know it.
Loving the pink shoes =)
Old 12-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I agree totally. Heather, you and I had so many similar thoughts. It is so amazingly awesome to not be that girl anymore. Congrats x 1000 on all the success you've had. You work hard at it and you deserve every second of happiness!!

I jogged for the first time since I messed up my knees the day after Thanksgiving... I walked about 30 min and in that time were two five-minute running sections. So far, so good - the knees aren't mad - yet! I'll see what the morning brings.

I've also tightened up my eating - again. After a weekend trip to the ER with my DD10 (she is okay now - she managed to slice open the area between your pinky toe and the one next to it - there was blood everywhere, etc... & she's a bit overdramatic & has the lowest pain tolerance of just about anyone I know...) I kinda went off the deep end into the carb pool and fear I undid all the good effort I had been working on up to that point. I didn't even get on the scale - I've just told myself to eat right all week and then take a look on Saturday. Hopefully by then the scale will show I've undone the stupidity I gave into over the weekend.

More tomorrow/soon. Right now my bed is calling to me! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I jogged for the first time since I messed up my knees the day after Thanksgiving... I walked about 30 min and in that time were two five-minute running sections. So far, so good - the knees aren't mad - yet! I'll see what the morning brings.

I've also tightened up my eating - again. After a weekend trip to the ER with my DD10 (she is okay now - she managed to slice open the area between your pinky toe and the one next to it - there was blood everywhere, etc... & she's a bit overdramatic & has the lowest pain tolerance of just about anyone I know...) I kinda went off the deep end into the carb pool and fear I undid all the good effort I had been working on up to that point. I didn't even get on the scale - I've just told myself to eat right all week and then take a look on Saturday. Hopefully by then the scale will show I've undone the stupidity I gave into over the weekend.
I hope your daughter is okay! Blood from our children is scary - unless you're a nurse like me and you tell them to just suck it up lol (kidding, sort of!).

I have been thinking about your knees. Can you tell me more about the pain? I'm wondering if more of it has to do with IT band issues than just degenerative joint disease issues. IT band issues flare up with increased activity and lessen with rest and we can help those!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

HT, my little brother sliced between his toes really good one time, sliding his foot under the dryer, by accident. My mother came down, saw all of the blood, and had to sit with her head between her knees and wouldn't budge! Lol! We were younger but she is so bad with blood. I ran and dragged over our neighbor's boyfriend to take my brother to ER. Those little things bleed a lot! I hope DD is ok!!

Here's to being on the wagon and the scales being good to us! =)

As for me, 12 days and 21 lbs down. I'm still keeping on with my plan. I can't believe how the smallest amount of stuff fills me! I will make the most of it while I can. I broke open the mint cookie-- OMG! No wonder I keep seeing it listed here! Awesome stuff! I tried the Click Decaf and meh. It's decent enough to keep around, though. Also, I think the bariatric advantage probiotics have really helped my bathroom issues.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post
As for me, 12 days and 21 lbs down. I'm still keeping on with my plan. I can't believe how the smallest amount of stuff fills me! I will make the most of it while I can. I broke open the mint cookie-- OMG! No wonder I keep seeing it listed here! Awesome stuff! I tried the Click Decaf and meh. It's decent enough to keep around, though. Also, I think the bariatric advantage probiotics have really helped my bathroom issues.
You're rocking it. And welcome to the mint cookie hoarder club. I personally keep the company in business - well through amazon lol.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
You're rocking it. And welcome to the mint cookie hoarder club. I personally keep the company in business - well through amazon lol.
I think I will finally order some!
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Quote:
HT, my little brother sliced between his toes really good one time, sliding his foot under the dryer, by accident. My mother came down, saw all of the blood, and had to sit with her head between her knees and wouldn't budge! Lol! We were younger but she is so bad with blood. I ran and dragged over our neighbor's boyfriend to take my brother to ER. Those little things bleed a lot! I hope DD is ok!!

Here's to being on the wagon and the scales being good to us! =)

Sounds like you are doing great!
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Alisa, You are doing great!! I was in love with mint cookie until I burned out on it. I now have the peanut butter cookie flavor about half the time, a pumpkin spice one (I make with vanilla protein powder...), and once in a while a mint cookie. Enjoy and take full advantage of your honeymoon - I was happy I worked with the theory I would lose as much as I could that first year while I had everything on my side. It sure worked - I lost 160 pounds my first year.

Thanks for the good thoughts for my daughter, ladies. I've actually never been too upset about seeing blood - after all my surgeries? LOL However, it was just seeing her so upset and in (what she perceived to be) so much pain. She is already doing soooo much better.

Heather, I do think it must be the IT band thing. It flares up like you mentioned. I just don't understand why now? Also, can I do something to lessen the pain of it? Keep using the roller as a preventative thing? I need to look at some videos - I am not sure I'm even doing it when I should or for a long enough time, etc... I used the roller this weekend and it seemed to help. I woke up today with just a tiny bit of tightness in my knees. Tonight after I got home from work I went and walked and jogged about 2.5 miles. I'd say I jogged about 50% of it. I hope it wasn't too soon, but nothing is actively hurting right now.
I'm also thinking about going for my first real massage. I've had one or two when I messed up my back about ten years ago, but they were not pleasurable at all. Maybe this would be...nicer. Maybe they could work on the muscles/area behind my knees, too. Just don't like the idea of being naked/close to naked in front of a stranger like that. Also, all my scars are somewhat embarrassing, you know?

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 12-11-2013 at 05:21 PM..
Old 12-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, guys! I hear the first of the dreaded stalls will be upon me soon enough. Sigh. Not if I can help it!

I'm glad DD is doing much better, and I'm glad your knees are behaving, HT! Actually, peanut butter is next on my list to buy. And mint cookie again.

First, I need to see if my NUT is right that I won't need protein supplements beyond week 2. I think she's high-- she told me Flintstones were totally fine and went into this HUGE ordeal when I brought in organic whey isolate because it had milk product and OMG lactose!, yet wants me to eat a TB of yogurt and cottage cheese with each meal? Now I must wait to take calcium supplements until 3 wks out, even though my last bone density test showed -.02 in my spine. Other little things that don't seem to fit for me. She is my surgeon's and comes with the follow up visit, so i won't change her quite yet. I will trust the plan. But I kind of want to switch her out. And buy mass quantities of calcium citrate so i can make up for lost time!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #46

Quote:
Thanks, guys! I hear the first of the dreaded stalls will be upon me soon enough. Sigh. Not if I can help it!

I'm glad DD is doing much better, and I'm glad your knees are behaving, HT! Actually, peanut butter is next on my list to buy. And mint cookie again.

First, I need to see if my NUT is right that I won't need protein supplements beyond week 2. I think she's high-- she told me Flintstones were totally fine and went into this HUGE ordeal when I brought in organic whey isolate because it had milk product and OMG lactose!, yet wants me to eat a TB of yogurt and cottage cheese with each meal? Now I must wait to take calcium supplements until 3 wks out, even though my last bone density test showed -.02 in my spine. Other little things that don't seem to fit for me. She is my surgeon's and comes with the follow up visit, so i won't change her quite yet. I will trust the plan. But I kind of want to switch her out. And buy mass quantities of calcium citrate so i can make up for lost time!
I'm always the first to say follow your plan and listen to your surgeon, but that's only when what they say actually makes sense. Your nut lost me at Flintstones. Fail. I walked out at no protein past 2 weeks. I'm 3+ years out, eat AND supplement to 100-150 g daily and if I don't my labs are too low. WITH the drinks I'm at 6.2. There's no reason not to take calcium now. They make chewable. The pills are too large to swallow right now.

I visited the nut once pre op. She didn't pass my question test lol so I never saw one again. I knew my rules and I knew my needs vi cod read and follow lab trends. I knew good nutrition vs bad. It's all good.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

I have a YUMMY calcium supplement - they taste like lemony sweet tarts. PM me if you want info.

Why on earth should you have to eat yogurt or cottage cheese on top of/instead of the food at your meals? I think she's kooky.

I also eat and have at least a scoop of protein powder each day and I think I'm also at 6.2 on my labs. Generally, as time went on/goes on, I find I am the one who knows my day-to-day self best and I take the "professional" advice with a big grain of salt. And honestly? I listen to what Mary and Heather say a heck of a lot more than anything!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Mair
What is the brand of the mint cookie protein ya'll like so much?
Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #49

Syntrax Matrix
Old 12-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for the feedback! I am going to keep careful logs and keep my calcium and protein exactly where I know I need them. I am only to 60g/day protein on my best day but Last week, my first week, was pathetic, so this is improvement and I will build it up each week.

Mair, how are things going? Been thinking of you! I hope the insurance is getting sorted out!
Old 12-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!

My surgery date is 12/26! Just found out today so I am ready.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mair View Post
Old 12-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Yay!!! I'm so happy to hear everything's good, Mair! We're startin' off the new year right =)
Old 12-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #54
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
Syntrax Matrix
Where do ya'll get this protein powder?
Old 12-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #55

Quote:
Where do ya'll get this protein powder?
I order it online for the best price.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #56
Blabbermouth!!!

I get mine through Netrition. If you have a large enough order they throw in a free t-shirt, blender bottle, or other goodies. I have (no lie) at least 8 shirts from them. I am a human billboard - I wear them almost every time I walk/jog. I also LOVE the peanut butter cookie flavor. I also buy the powdered peanut butter and also get the sf flavored syrups and I love, love, LOVE the coconut cashew Quest bars. Darn it - I still love food WAY too much!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
So happy for you!!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow...sure is quiet in here! Did someone start another thread and not tell me?

I find myself not making certain foods these days just so I won't be tempted. I feel a little bad for my family, but honestly none of us need extra food (like cookies, etc...). I made stuff for Thanksgiving (pecan and pumpkin pies) and then I slowly but surely ate way too much of it, so I am very wary to make anything else. I will make some Christmas cookies next weekend I think, but not as much as I would have in the past. On one hand I want to make some of the cookies that really remind me of my mom (she passed almost 7 years ago...), but man, I just don't want to wake up in a sugar coma after eating them for a few days, you know? I just have to not do that. Thing is, my mom was a fantastic cook and baker. Food meant a lot of things in our house. Reward, something to console you, something to show how much she loved you... It was not just fuel...not at all. And, it isn't just fuel for me, much as it needs to be. I just can't start cooking down that slippery slope. It is too easy and comfy. I don't want to be comfy; I want to be healthy and strong.

Do any of you have any ideas/tips/tricks about the holidays and not going too far off course?

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 12-15-2013 at 11:49 AM..
Old 12-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Wow...sure is quiet in here! Did someone start another thread and not tell me?

I find myself not making certain foods these days just so I won't be tempted. I feel a little bad for my family, but honestly none of us need extra food (like cookies, etc...). I made stuff for Thanksgiving (pecan and pumpkin pies) and then I slowly but surely ate way too much of it, so I am very wary to make anything else. I will make some Christmas cookies next weekend I think, but not as much as I would have in the past. On one hand I want to make some of the cookies that really remind me of my mom (she passed almost 7 years ago...), but man, I just don't want to wake up in a sugar coma after eating them for a few days, you know? I just have to not do that. Thing is, my mom was a fantastic cook and baker. Food meant a lot of things in our house. Reward, something to console you, something to show how much she loved you... It was not just fuel...not at all. And, it isn't just fuel for me, much as it needs to be. I just can't start cooking down that slippery slope. It is too easy and comfy. I don't want to be comfy; I want to be healthy and strong.

Do any of you have any ideas/tips/tricks about the holidays and not going too far off course?
I don't keep things in my house. if I make cookies or something for my family they are full sugar, which is off limits to me so I don't eat them. Now sugar free... Big problem. For that I'll purchase them and bring them to dinner at someone else's house and leave it there after I eat one piece.

I can resist in the stores and I can resist when it's unopened. I am just diligent about NOT putting myself in those situations. I don't deprive my family, they're more than welcome to have what they want but I'm not bending over backwards to constantly supply if for them. But again - most of their items are not a trigger for me. Now pepperoni bread - trouble! So I don't buy it or I buy it very rarely. Believe it or not lol they lived!
Old 12-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Hiya!

Heather, the Santa 5k and puppy pics were great! Looks like a fun weekend!

HT & Jesse, congrats on being back on track!

Ugh. The more time that goes on the more I'm convinced that ALL artificial sweeteners are messing with me! That and/or dairy. (I.e., eat, cramp, restroom woes). I have tried a day of all almond milk with protein powder, then a day of just yogurt or cottage cheese, both with same outcome, so I'm thinking artificial sweeteners. I HATE having to deal with it, regardless. I've chewed well, gone slow, eaten tiny amounts at a time, etc.

Today kicks off the end of week two, so I just are my first solid food-- half of a soft boiled egg. Best tasting egg ever after no real food since 11/26. So far, no cramping, so yay! I've read eggs can be evil, so i expected a potential rough time, but this is good! Maybe home grown makes a difference-- we have a coop and chickens out back. We get raw milk too, but I'm not going to be that brave for a few weeks yet! I can have canned salmon or tuna this week too. Tuna makes me gag and I've stayed away from it since I was little! I am sure salmon would do the same. Bought salmon anyway, wild planet brand... Will try that at home later this week. Maybe i just need solids?

My first checkup with the surgeon is this coming friday. I may call beforehand if the cramping and and bolting to the restroom gets worse.

Last edited by Matrigna; 12-15-2013 at 01:19 PM..