LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fultymom
Stats: 290/211/145. 5'6"
WOE: Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy
Start Date: 10/24/2013
Sleeved 10/24

Hi ladies i lost 61 lbs in the 6 months prior to surgery doing Atkins, was sleeved 10/24 and have lost 18 lbs since. HW290/SW229/CW211.

I have been following my Drs instructions (high protein, low fat, mid carbs), but I know my body loses and feels best doing high protein, high fat and low carb. Have any of you used Atkins early out after WLS? If so, did you have good results? If you didn't do Atkins early out, what do you think about it.

I'm losing about 2 lbs a week since surgery (after the first week) and I think I should be losing more this early out. I hate to think that this is my "honeymoon period". I was losing this much before surgery. I think I'd lose better upping the fat and limiting carbs to around 20.

I've never heard of a surgeon or nutritionist that doesn't tell their patients to eat low fat and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my sleeve, but I'm torn. Should I follow the guidelines given to me or do what I know is better for my body and am curious to know if others have gone this route.

Thank you for any comments

Cindy T
Current Weight- 211
fultymom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Follow your surgeon's guidelines right now. Your body is not the same as it was pre op. They know what is best for you right now. You only have so much real estate right now. If you increase your fat you will inevitably decrease your protein and protein is the most important thing your body needs right now.

2lbs a week is good post op. Just follow your rules and trust in the process. You'll have periods of more and less weight loss but it's a journey and journeys are not always consistent.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #3

I said "right now" a lot lol! But that just means things can and will change.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
What Heather said.

Once you get farther out, you will be able to make more choices. I've found that as I've gone along, my tolerance for certain things has changed; high fat (or as high I was pre op) is harder for me to digest....
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks guys. It just seems so foreign and "wrong" to me after making Atkins my lifestyle and I believe wholly in it the principles, so going against that is not what comes natural to me.

Cindy T
Old 12-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #6

You find a new "right". If I ate what I did preop I'd be sick 24/7. And that's no fun. Not to mention cravings change. I prefer whole raw veggie and lean foods now versus high protein fatty foods. It really just makes me nauseated thinking about it.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
I'm about 17 months post op for a sleeve ~ I aimed for 60 or more grams of protein (usually averaged 75) and kept my calories between 600 - 800 and let the carbs and fat fall where they may. At first I tried to restrict carbs, but I found I needed more than 40 grams of carbs to function. After the first month, I lost on average 8 - 10 pounds a month and I remember being sort of mad, what the heck! I could do this with low carb too. But the magic was in the sustained weight loss, month after month after month. Soon it all added up to something wonderful Now I am maintaining, and again, I am really shooting for protein and calorie targets and the fat and carbs just kind of work themselves out from there. If I start gaining though, the carbs will be the first thing I cut, not the fat. I will say, I have made an effort to increase my good fats some because they make me feel fuller longer, but then I have a sleeve of steel so no amount of fat seems to bother me.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Oh I would add, if you want to, why not drop your carbs and up your fats and see how you feel? If you are concentrating on a protein goal, and you're only a month out it would seem you won't have much room for a lot of fats anyhow. My program wanted me to eat more calories that I was able to initially. I stayed at 600 calories until I really felt like I needed more, then I moved up to 800, and at the end of my weight loss period I was at 1000. I'm maintaining at 1200 - 1400. That is not what they recommended, but I knew it was working for me. If you want to go low carb, test it out and see what works for you.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Jesse! You reminded me that I didn't have this surgery really to lose the weight fast, or even to lose it at all. I knew I could lose the weight eating Atkins. I had this surgery to give me a tool to maintain the weight loss more than anything.

I let myself get caught up with all the great fast weight loss success stories and forgot that I wasn't in it for that to start with. Of course I would have been thrilled to have lost 40 lbs the first month, but I didn't yes, it doesn't make sense to me that I was losing 2 lbs a week before surgery (for 6 months), have surgery and lose the same amount even though I'm eating 1/3 of the food, but either way, it's going and I'm not ever going to gain it back I'll make sure of that!

I think I will give it a trial run and see how I feel and I'll be interested to see how the weight loss goes. I also have a sleeve of steel that tolerates fats and have not found anything that hadn't agreed with it. I'm very fortunate and not had any nausea, slimed, dumping or anything else so far. I can feel when I'm getting full and stop, so haven't had any issues with getting over full.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #10

With a starting weight of 229 realize that you won't lose as quick as someone with a higher start weight. But it will come off!
Old 12-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, I realize that. Also, I'm sure if I hadn't been on Atkins for 6 months prior to surgery and already lost 61lbs, I would have had a bigger initial weight loss, but I am SO thankful I did that and was able to have almost half of my weight lost prior to surgery.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #12

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I'm about 17 months post op for a sleeve ~ I aimed for 60 or more grams of protein (usually averaged 75) and kept my calories between 600 - 800 and let the carbs and fat fall where they may. At first I tried to restrict carbs, but I found I needed more than 40 grams of carbs to function. After the first month, I lost on average 8 - 10 pounds a month and I remember being sort of mad, what the heck! I could do this with low carb too. But the magic was in the sustained weight loss, month after month after month. Soon it all added up to something wonderful Now I am maintaining, and again, I am really shooting for protein and calorie targets and the fat and carbs just kind of work themselves out from there. If I start gaining though, the carbs will be the first thing I cut, not the fat. I will say, I have made an effort to increase my good fats some because they make me feel fuller longer, but then I have a sleeve of steel so no amount of fat seems to bother me.
EXACTLY!!!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #13

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
My surgeon's guidelines specified no more than 40g carbs per day (total, not net) so I was still low carb. Calories were 600-800 and protein 60-90g
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
Follow your surgeons rules for now. As you get farther out you will find what works for you. I kept my calories between 400-700, a minimum of 60 gr. protein and under 40 carbs. I am a server at Olive Garden and lost five pounds a week and never stalled once. I walk a lot, I always ask for the farthest section from the kitchen and average 16,000 steps a day.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote