Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
It's supposed to "feel like" 27 tomorrow and I have a 10k run at 7am. I'm terrified of the cold. And YES that's cold to me lol. 75 would be cold to me!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
That's cold to anyone! All you can do is dress in layers (think pantyhose, tights, yoga pants, sweat pants...) and wear gloves and a hat over your ears and/or ear muffs!!! Good luck!!!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
The coldest winter of my life was the winter I spent in Southern Brazil. (Turns out the hottest summer of my life was also there ) Even though it only got down to 32 at it's coldest that damp wind just ate through me. And since it was hot, very hot for much longer, the houses were designed more for coping with heat ~ deep eves, stone floors, high ceilings .... My Brazilian friends though it was so hysterical how cold I was since they knew Minnesota was almost the North Pole. But we're good here at pushing the cold back with our indoor heat, and skyways and super thermal wear. Spending the day outside at 27 degrees with any amount of wind sounds no good to me Run Heather Run, it may be the only way to survive!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #124
Blabbermouth!!!

I just went for a quick walk/jog...its about 65 degrees out there and I was pretty cold! I spent the first 23 years of my life dealing with super cold winters but these last 15 years in Florida have reversed all of that! Where are my gloves!!
Old 11-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #125
Blabbermouth!!!

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!!! I am truly thankful for all of you!!

Heather - Update when you can!!! I went for a 3.75 mile walk/jog this morning and the temperature here was a frosty 40 or so degrees! I thought of you as I was sweating and freezing at the same time! (Yes, folks, I know 40 isn't so bad, but I'm in Florida and 40 is cold down here!!)

One of the many things I am thankful for: As of today I am down 7.3 pounds since I started back to taking this regain off. I am watching portions, drinking more water, and exercising more. I am also watching fats (not no fat, just not as much as I was eating - a tablespoon of mayo in my tuna, not two or three...). I'm also limiting carbs (cause I know what works for me, tyvm nutritionist lady! lol)... Man, I hate regain. 7 down, about 18 to go. I'll get there as soon as I can, but I am thinking Valentine's Day is probably a good goal.

Have a great day!!!
"No matter who you are, no matter what you do, you absolutely, positively do have the power to change." -Bill Phillips
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 190 / 174 (-18)

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 11-28-2013 at 07:37 AM..
Old 11-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #126

Another 10k in the books. Actually it was 6.36 miles so it was a 10k plus lol. Um it was cold. And it was HILLY! I didn't make the time I wanted to (<1:10), but I'm not upset about that. I'm going to post an elevation map and you'll see why lol. I was only a couple minutes off in the end. I believe if it weren't so hilly at the end I'd have beat it by 3 minutes or so. Fleece is excellent wicking material. JCP had a nice thinmicro fleece running jacket on sale for $19.99 down from $44 - probably still is. This was last Friday. I layered and this was great for the top.

My time for 6.36 miles was 1:13.36. I have to get online to check what my time was at 6.2 miles. 1:11.54 was my previous so I didn't get too far off of that even with the hills! All in all I'm glad I did it and can't wait to improve and increase. Another 10k in January and then a 15k in Feb and a half in March! Oh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collage 2013-11-28 09_35_10.jpg (38.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-11-28 10.41.34.jpg (23.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
As of today I am down 7.3 pounds since I started back to taking this regain off. I am watching portions, drinking more water, and exercising more.
No magic gimmick, pill or diet. Just plain old what we know works best! WTG!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #128
Blabbermouth!!!

Congrats, Heather and way to go! Love your socks!!

Oh, Thanks!!! I owe lots of it to you and everyone and the good advice I get here!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #129

Quote:
Congrats, Heather and way to go! Love your socks!!
They're my extra layer of warmth! They go up over the knee and worked out well!!
Old 11-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
Happy Thanksgiving!

This year, I am thankful for my VSG!

Last year at this time, I was on my pre-op diet. I chose to work last year so that I would not be tempted by food. I chose to work this year so that I don't have to watch everyone else eat.

I am 6 pounds away from the goal that I set (my high school graduation weight) and now I think I want to lose more? I *feel* good and I've started running and Pole Fitness... I just don't know.

How did you all set your goals?

VGS done by Dr. Garcia on 12/3/12.
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnopedie View Post
Happy Thanksgiving!

This year, I am thankful for my VSG!

Last year at this time, I was on my pre-op diet. I chose to work last year so that I would not be tempted by food. I chose to work this year so that I don't have to watch everyone else eat.

I am 6 pounds away from the goal that I set (my high school graduation weight) and now I think I want to lose more? I *feel* good and I've started running and Pole Fitness... I just don't know.

How did you all set your goals?
I didn't set a goal. I just let the chips fall where they may.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #132
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, for me the big goal of getting under 200 was a no-brainer. I needed to do that. Then, my 174 goal (which I'm not sure I'll ever get to...) is a weight I was many moons ago (actually, I think I was 176) but it also would make an "even" loss of 215 pounds. At this point, I am thinking first of getting to 182 (-207 - one less than my best initially) and then I'll try for 179 and below... However, I now know I want my highest weight once I get done with this to never go above 189... I was about 19 when I was 176...I'm a lot older now. Not sure I can maintain the limited eating and exercise I'd need to at 174. In any case, I think making goals for myself really helped - and helps me. I currently know I will be attending a wedding in March and I would like to be back down to where I was at my lowest (183) or lower by then. Giving me something to aim for helps me stay more focused. I would say, too, that I think many of us lost to a point then gained some back. Everyone is different, but maybe keep that in mind.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well, for me the big goal of getting under 200 was a no-brainer. I needed to do that. Then, my 174 goal (which I'm not sure I'll ever get to...) is a weight I was many moons ago (actually, I think I was 176) but it also would make an "even" loss of 215 pounds. At this point, I am thinking first of getting to 182 (-207 - one less than my best initially) and then I'll try for 179 and below... However, I now know I want my highest weight once I get done with this to never go above 189... I was about 19 when I was 176...I'm a lot older now. Not sure I can maintain the limited eating and exercise I'd need to at 174. In any case, I think making goals for myself really helped - and helps me. I currently know I will be attending a wedding in March and I would like to be back down to where I was at my lowest (183) or lower by then. Giving me something to aim for helps me stay more focused. I would say, too, that I think many of us lost to a point then gained some back. Everyone is different, but maybe keep that in mind.
This actually makes a lot of sense to me... I might set a threshold to stay under instead.

You ROCK!
Old 11-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #134

Be realistic in your thresholds too. When I hit my all time low of 133 I was ecstatic. Then I started to gain as I upped my workouts. I was devastated with each pound UNTIL I came to the realization that I was not getting fatter but stronger. Pay attention to measurements if you aren't already. They tell you the real story. I've gained, but I'm still small. Remember the mirror does not always tell you the real story. The scale does not always tell you the real story. Fit does. I've gained 15 (on an average day lol) but I'm still a size 4. As long as I'm still in my size range the number on the scale holds less power over me.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #135
Blabbermouth!!!

My knees - especially my left knee - are screaming at me for yesterday... I don't know what to do about it. If I run I get rewarded with days of pain...yet I want to run! I know I beat them up for thirty years being overweight, but I figured with so much less weight on them this wouldn't be so bad. Will this get better if I keep doing it (longer walks/runs) or is it just too much distance in a day makes it happen? I just got new running shoes and splurged on the orthodics to supposedly help with issues like this - maybe they will help? As much as I want to run I do not want to need knee replacements in ten years or something. Heather & crew - your advice/two cents please?
Old 11-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #136

Quote:
My knees - especially my left knee - are screaming at me for yesterday... I don't know what to do about it. If I run I get rewarded with days of pain...yet I want to run! I know I beat them up for thirty years being overweight, but I figured with so much less weight on them this wouldn't be so bad. Will this get better if I keep doing it (longer walks/runs) or is it just too much distance in a day makes it happen? I just got new running shoes and splurged on the orthodics to supposedly help with issues like this - maybe they will help? As much as I want to run I do not want to need knee replacements in ten years or something. Heather & crew - your advice/two cents please?
I have bad knees too.

Increasing mileage too quickly will make them hurt, but you seem to be doing okay with how much you are upping at a time. Shoes help tremendously. When you got new shoes - how were they picked out abf who recommended the orthotics? Being properly fitted makes a works of difference. If you were professionally fitted and still feel pain try some braces or sleeves. You may also have some it band issues causing your knee to pull out of alignment when you run. Get a foam roller and try releasing them. If you don't know how YouTube has some good videos on it. I love my rollers.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #137

I'm reading a really interesting book called Racing Weight. It's about how to get your body to it's best performing weight naturally through your regular everyday training and diet rearrangement. Not dieting, but restructuring needs. One thing I found interesting was the recommendations for carbs, protein, and fats based on activity level not body weight. More elite athletes need more, and vise versa. It's not percentage based at all. It also recommends restructuring WHEN you eat your nutrients to break stalls. Basically... the body prefers carbs, fat, then rarely protein for energy and the excess is converted to fat. The body only uses protein to rebuild muscle and does not store it as fat. They recommend eating your carbs early in the day - before dinner. Eat your protein at dinner. Very interesting things to think on and from a knowledge standpoint it all makes sense!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #138
Blabbermouth!!!

I went to a running store for the sneakers but I haven't actually worn them - or the orthodics - yet. They fitted me there - I stepped on a machine which showed how my weight was distributed and they also videotaped me walking and running to see how I ran - how my foot landed, etc... I'm going to start using them in light of all this...

Heather - can you tell me where I could find more information about the bands you're talking about and where I might get the rollers you're talking about? Or what I would search on youtube to see? I appreciate your help a lot! Your book sounds really good, too. I am especially interested in what it says about too much protein. Man, who knew it was all so darn hard/complicated.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:54 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 210/164/110
WOE: Primal-ish (WLS 11/29/13)
Day 2. Last night was bad (nausea, pain, low grade temp, leaky IV, high blood pressure... All compounded by not so great nurse. Otherwise, I'm doing very well! Just returned from walking a mile around the halls and hoping to finally expel some of this trapped gas! There's talk of me going home today. I'm in no rush though.
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #140

Quote:
I went to a running store for the sneakers but I haven't actually worn them - or the orthodics - yet. They fitted me there - I stepped on a machine which showed how my weight was distributed and they also videotaped me walking and running to see how I ran - how my foot landed, etc... I'm going to start using them in light of all this...

Heather - can you tell me where I could find more information about the bands you're talking about and where I might get the rollers you're talking about? Or what I would search on youtube to see? I appreciate your help a lot! Your book sounds really good, too. I am especially interested in what it says about too much protein. Man, who knew it was all so darn hard/complicated.
Walmart has some inexpensive options. I have a foam roller and a stick roller that see lots of use. Search for "it band release foam roller" for videos. The roller will come with a poster and sometimes a cd for how to use it but the videos are great. Use the shoes - world of difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post
Day 2. Last night was bad (nausea, pain, low grade temp, leaky IV, high blood pressure... All compounded by not so great nurse. Otherwise, I'm doing very well! Just returned from walking a mile around the halls and hoping to finally expel some of this trapped gas! There's talk of me going home today. I'm in no rush though.
Doesn't sound like a good experience at all. The nausea unfortunately is common early out. I was nauseous every morning for a long time. Glad you are doing well!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
I'm reading a really interesting book called Racing Weight. It's about how to get your body to it's best performing weight naturally through your regular everyday training and diet rearrangement. Not dieting, but restructuring needs. One thing I found interesting was the recommendations for carbs, protein, and fats based on activity level not body weight. More elite athletes need more, and vise versa. It's not percentage based at all. It also recommends restructuring WHEN you eat your nutrients to break stalls. Basically... the body prefers carbs, fat, then rarely protein for energy and the excess is converted to fat. The body only uses protein to rebuild muscle and does not store it as fat. They recommend eating your carbs early in the day - before dinner. Eat your protein at dinner. Very interesting things to think on and from a knowledge standpoint it all makes sense!
That sounds REALLY interesting! I'll have to add it to my reading list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post
The first couple days are a bear! You can do it.... one foot in front of the other!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

New thread: WLS WAGON - - DECEMBER!!!