Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE80 View Post
Good Job HT! I have dropped a few lbs myself, not really sure how! except maybe the new guy I am seeing...

Anyway, my mom is doing ok-I decided to move in with her (tired of trying to deal with 2 households!). She had her revision surgery and is doing mostly good but I can see where her food choices can have a negative affect on how she feels! I just feel like she doesn't "get" it. She feels like she should be able to eat/drink whatever she wants. Ummmmm. NO! Not only does she get dumping...but she also still has unstable blood sugars! It's a bit frustrating to try to get her to understand. Your life is different now, you can't do whatever you want-unless you want the consequences that go with it.
That might do it! Glad to hear mom is doing better. She's had a rough go of things... The head part is the hardest to grasp and as long as she's okay with the negative effects then it's even HARDER to straighten out.

I have RH and I KNOW what makes it happen to me. Good meal planning prevents it 100% but when I go heavier on the carbs than I do on the protein (and we're talking like 80/20 not 40/60 or so) then it's a guaranteed. It's not a good feeling. It's scary. And I get a foggy brain so I'm like "oh, I don't feel right I wonder what's going on with me" and then a bit later it clicks. I'm always afraid the brain fog will cloud my thinking too much one time and it will go to far. When I wake up with a drop it's usually a pretty significant one that's gone pretty far I have the shakes, chills, cold sweats (RIVERS of it literally pouring down my body so much so that it will puddle and my jammies are soaked), and the primal urge to just cram food in my face. 4-8 oz (depending on the extent) NSA chocolate milk, followed by peanut butter crackers takes care of it pretty quickly. The milk acts quickly and the PB crackers gives it staying power.

AND it's so good to see you here and doing great too! Come back often!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
Quest bars - yes or no? I remember a conversation about these before... I've tried ONE previously and it was an almost immediate trip to the bathroom potty... I won a 15 bar sample pack from a well know bariatric blog and am leery of trying them again! No sugars, no sugar alcohols and TONS of fiber...
I them...but not everyone does!
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #93

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I like quest bars allot too... peanut butter, apple pie and berry are my favorites. I also liked the banana bread one.
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #94
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Oh my goodness! I LOVE them! I just ordered 2 dozen of the coconut cashew ones from Netrition as well as a bunch of different single bars in new flavors to see what I think. They do not do the potty thing for me, but I do think they keep me more regular... Maybe try a half a bar with something else?
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
I adore them! The cookie dough one is awesome. The only one that I thought was okay was the white chocolate raspberry. I am not a fan of white chocolate anyway. The PB cups are kinda just ok as well. Warm any of them in the microwave for 15 seconds and the become all kinds of awesome.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissykin View Post
I adore them! The cookie dough one is awesome. The only one that I thought was okay was the white chocolate raspberry. I am not a fan of white chocolate anyway. The PB cups are kinda just ok as well. Warm any of them in the microwave for 15 seconds and the become all kinds of awesome.
The pb cups were absolutely disgusting!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 220/130/120
Good morning, everyone!

For Quest bars, I've seen bloggers, like Eggface, using a half-bar in a compartment of their bento box, along with a full meal in the rest... But she's later out. Right now, before surgery, one bar fills me. So I have no clue what they'll do post-op. For now, I don't eat bars often but, when I do, they're Quest. The no sugar alcohols thing is awesome. Banana nut, slightly warmed, is so good! The berry flavors I've tried are meh. I cut them up in little pieces and nibble on them. They just seem better like that

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #98

Here's what I won - it looks like there are some "naturals" in there which are higher in sugar alcohols so I'm told. I'm just leery after my original experience with them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Questwin.jpg (61.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #99

If I remember right, the ones that are not "naturals" don't have sugar alcohol, but they have a lot of chicory root (?) which also sweetens the bars
Old 11-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Happy Saturday! Enjoying a sugar free chai latte on this frigid, frigid morning in Minnesota. Trying to work up enough courage to go outside and get my newspaper from the box.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Okay ladies, maybe you can relate to this. I worked a full week, staying late most nights. Got home Friday, made dinner then went straight to my son's band concert. Came home, watched the news, went to bed. Today I got up, fed the pets, washed our bedding including the big old comforter, clipped coupons, made a shopping list,(saved lots of $ because I was able to layer store coupons with manufactorers coupons ) went grocery shopping, cleaned the kitchen, made dinner and am currently doing more laundry, and yet I sighed to myself just a little while ago and muttered I didn't get anything done today. Why don't I give myself credit for what I do get done, instead of focusing on everything yet to be done? Don't know who said it but feels too true somedays ~ Man works from sun to sun, but a woman's work is never done.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

hello. Anyone, anyone? Bueller?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #103

I did a 5k last night. A sneek peek through a local Christmas lights display before it opens for the season. My time was 33:00.99. 277/802 overall. 19/39 age group. My best time since losing Molly. It was super fun but COLD! Hush you northerners lol. We have sleet today!

I run a 10k Thursday. My last (first) one was 1:11.54. So I plan to try to beat that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131123_202718.jpg (21.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20131123_182040.jpg (66.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20131123_182123.jpg (25.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20131123_204035.jpg (14.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #104
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes Jesse, I can totally relate! Think about this, too... How did you do it when you were heavier? I actually didn't do a lot of things - my husband did or they just didn't get done - or barely got done. The first summer I was losing weight (I had lost about 115 when school let out) I also finally went through about 8 years of kids clothes - and my own - and donated around 20 garbage bags full of clothing. I also cleaned out a ton of things from my garage that I had hardly ever even gone into before losing weight. I do things so much more completely now and do get a lot more done with a lot less effort in many cases.

I was busy this weekend, too. I officially started training for this 8K by going to the actual place (well most of it) on Saturday morning and seeing what I could do. I jogged/walked 4 or 4.5 miles in 1:07. It needs to improve - I'm looking to do the 5 miles in an hour or under... But lemme tell ya, it was hard! I think I walked away a little dehydrated and drained; it took a long bath and several bottles of water before I started to feel like a human again. That said, today, after attending a sand sculpture event on the beach, I came home and jogged/walked another 3.5 miles. My knees are NOT happy, but I like that I am gearing up to do this.

Heather - Congrats on the 5K, including your great time! I have a question for you. You have run 10K's before... Do some people walk some/a lot of those, too? My only fear is being way behind other people in a race. I don't have to be first - no way I can do that - but I'd like to be far from last, too... kinda like my finish in the 5K (159/309)... That happens in bigger races, too: people walk, right?

Hey Everyone! Hope you had a good weekend! Here comes Thanksgiving!!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 11-24-2013 at 11:05 PM..
Old 11-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Yes Jesse, I can totally relate! Think about this, too... How did you do it when you were heavier? I actually didn't do a lot of things - my husband did or they just didn't get done - or barely got done. The first summer I was losing weight (I had lost about 115 when school let out) I also finally went through about 8 years of kids clothes - and my own - and donated around 20 garbage bags full of clothing. I also cleaned out a ton of things from my garage that I had hardly ever even gone into before losing weight. I do things so much more completely now and do get a lot more done with a lot less effort in many cases.

I was busy this weekend, too. I officially started training for this 8K by going to the actual place (well most of it) on Saturday morning and seeing what I could do. I jogged/walked 4 or 4.5 miles in 1:07. It needs to improve - I'm looking to do the 5 miles in an hour or under... But lemme tell ya, it was hard! I think I walked away a little dehydrated and drained; it took a long bath and several bottles of water before I started to feel like a human again. That said, today, after attending a sand sculpture event on the beach, I came home and jogged/walked another 3.5 miles. My knees are NOT happy, but I like that I am gearing up to do this.

Heather - Congrats on the 5K, including your great time! I have a question for you. You have run 10K's before... Do some people walk some/a lot of those, too? My only fear is being way behind other people in a race. I don't have to be first - no way I can do that - but I'd like to be far from last, too... kinda like my finish in the 5K (159/309)... That happens in bigger races, too: people walk, right?

Hey Everyone! Hope you had a good weekend! Here comes Thanksgiving!!
Oh yes. I used a run/walk ratio during my 10k because I had never give that distance before. I doubt you'll be last, and if you are - no biggie. Finishing trumps not starting any day of the week. I found my 10k time was on par with double my 5k time, plus another minute or two. Let me see if I can look at some of the slower times from my 10k but they were probably pushing 1 3/4 or two hours. AVERAGE time was 1:14. Figure even at 13mm pace that's only 1 hour 20 minutes!
Old 11-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
Oh yes. I used a run/walk ratio during my 10k because I had never give that distance before. I doubt you'll be last, and if you are - no biggie. Finishing trumps not starting any day of the week. I found my 10k time was on par with double my 5k time, plus another minute or two. Let me see if I can look at some of the slower times from my 10k but they were probably pushing 1 3/4 or two hours. AVERAGE time was 1:14. Figure even at 13mm pace that's only 1 hour 20 minutes!
Looks like last 10k participant came in at 2:00.55. That's over a 19mm leave so I think you're good. You could pick an event that has a 10k, half and full so you're guaranteed someone being behind you!!
Old 11-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #107
Blabbermouth!!!

Ah...this is a 8K, so 5 miles... This Saturday I walked about 4.25 miles in 1:07...so I guess that is okay. I walked 3.4 miles yesterday in 40 minutes... I'll keep working on it.

I went to the nutritionist today and what I heard was kinda shocking. She told me I need to keep my protein between 75 - 100 g/day. She said I am scared of carbs, but I actually need some "good" carbs - oatmeal was mentioned - to help me feel fuller longer. I'm not sure what I think of all she said. She said eat lower-fat mayo and limit butter, etc... She also said I shouldn't worry so much about calories, but rather try to eat a more balanced diet. However, when forced, she said staying between 1000 - 1200 calories was where I should be. I thought that was shocking. I know I eat closer to 1800 many days. Eeek!

More later - have to go portion out my much smaller dinner! :P
Old 11-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #108

HT my surgeon and Dr. Cirangle both say stay lower carb than that, but ya, 1000-1200 cals depending on whether or not you exercise, and portions should be the same as wherever you were @ 6 mos out.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Ah...this is a 8K, so 5 miles... This Saturday I walked about 4.25 miles in 1:07...so I guess that is okay. I walked 3.4 miles yesterday in 40 minutes... I'll keep working on it.

I went to the nutritionist today and what I heard was kinda shocking. She told me I need to keep my protein between 75 - 100 g/day. She said I am scared of carbs, but I actually need some "good" carbs - oatmeal was mentioned - to help me feel fuller longer. I'm not sure what I think of all she said. She said eat lower-fat mayo and limit butter, etc... She also said I shouldn't worry so much about calories, but rather try to eat a more balanced diet. However, when forced, she said staying between 1000 - 1200 calories was where I should be. I thought that was shocking. I know I eat closer to 1800 many days. Eeek!

More later - have to go portion out my much smaller dinner! :P
Forgive me for contridicting your health care professional and ignore me for sure but ....I can tolerate lower calories much better if I eat more fat. I hate low fat stuff I'm not saying go insane, but a slice of bacon in my salad, or a teaspoon of butter on my broccoli, or some avocado make me feel fuller longer. Now I do have a sleeve of steel, and I know fat can make RNY people dump.... I have a knee jerk reaction to nutritionists urging low fat because I think the low fat dogma has added to obesity problems. Unprocessed, natural sources of fat (ex: butter, which is 2 ingredients cream and salt and is achieved by shaking it for awhile or avocados) don't hurt us and keep us full longer. It's processed fat, or fat packaged with sugar ex donuts that are the culprits. They just came out with a study that a handful of nuts everyday correlates with longer life spans. Did she feel that lowfat helps with blood clots? In that case I take back everything I said, because I don't know anything about dietary treatment of clots. Okay, just my opinion, I'll get off my soapbox.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #110
Blabbermouth!!!

Jesse - Go right ahead and contradict. I will take what she said into consideration, but I will tweak it to fit what I know about my body, too. I also have a stomach of steel as far as fat and sugar are concerned... I only had one or two events I'd consider close to dumping. I've never thrown up since my WLS either. I agree, the low fat stuff is not my cup of tea and I told her so. I'm going to work on eating less butter - not NO butter! I do know I am too liberal with things like butter and mayo, so I'll see what I can do about that. As far as blood-thinning foods, she seemed to feel that as long as I wasn't taking a huge amount of a supplement that I could do as I pleased. Of course, due to the ulcer, I shouldn't eat peppers, which would be really beneficial in that respect. I can eat salmon - which I love... eh, it is complicated. I do not agree wit her 100% and I know she knows that. I'll just take away from it what I can and politely refuse the rest.

Mary - Thanks for pointing that out to me. Because I exercise quite a bit I think I got used to needing and eating more calories and it has caught up to me. Time to revisit this and adjust... Fortunately, I am kinda tenacious and I am NOT going to gain this weight back!!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Ugh, it amazes me the horrible advice we get from "professionals". Low fat, full of chemical frankenfoods? REALLY?????? I understand that if you dump from fat, you should watch it but seriously-do they even read? Some of the stuff they suggest shouldn't even be considered "food". It's processed food "like" crap!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE80 View Post
Ugh, it amazes me the horrible advice we get from "professionals". Low fat, full of chemical frankenfoods? REALLY?????? I understand that if you dump from fat, you should watch it but seriously-do they even read? Some of the stuff they suggest shouldn't even be considered "food". It's processed food "like" crap!
I agree. They take canned nutrition learned from textbooks and can't apply it to individual needs. If I were told to eat like I ate at 6 months out... it's incompatible with life . I didn't eat jack! And 1000-1200 calories is NOT for anyone with any level of activity, at least not for me. That's a baseline recommendation for a sedentary lifestyle. When I am most successful I determine my daily burn, and stay about 300-400 UNDER that for consistent weight loss. I do eat low fat, but I don't eat processed low fat replacements for regular foods. I just keep my fats low. I don't eat dairy anymore (unless I need to drink milk for hypoglycemia, and then it's 2%) so I don't worry about yogurt or cheese. IF I do use yogurt in something it's non-fat plain. High fat makes me extremely nauseous. I abstain from sugar - personal choice due to past demons. I would say that being 3 years and 8 months post op, having taken every piece of advice given to me by a nutritionist or support group with a grain of salt, blatantly disagreeing and arguing with my surgeon on diet, the fact that I still fit into the size 4 clothes I wore at my lowest is a testament to the fact that not everyone is cookie cutter and not all advice is truth. I may not weigh what I did at my lowest but I'm a far cry from unsuccessful. I say listen to what they have to say, but YOU know YOUR body better than their textbooks. For me it's my head that gets in the way. My brain knows what to do after all these years - it's just stubborn sometimes.

I think if we all look at where we were, what we could and could NOT do, and how far we've come... we'd all agree that maybe we all just kinda know what we are doing a little bit.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

It has been rather eye opening for me from a personal perspective. My best friend spent most of last year in and out of the hospital with her asthma...only to find out that she is allergic to gluten (and peanuts and peas)...She had no clue of this until her allergy testing. Her life took a MAJOR turn around once she cut that stuff out of her diet! She got pregnant (hadn't been necessarily trying, but hadn't been NOT trying either)...no hospital trips (except for once with pregnancy issues). She has had a healthy pregnancy, almost no weight gain...its amazing to watch someones life turn completely around just by avoiding CRAP food! Her asthma is in check 90% of the time. A-MAZ-ING. My point is that food plays a major factor in everything! Eating fake food is never good from a health perspective. I have my own demons to face, but seriously...Just Eat Real Food! Know your limits and your triggers. It's amazing what just being conscious can do!

I'm trying to get my mom to see the correlation from what she eats to how she feels. Its.not.sinking.in. In her defense, it is hard to know that something is going to "mess" with her if she has eaten it a few times with out consequence. Its hard to police a 65 year old woman! it's like she feels good for a few days, and thinks "I can eat whatever I want!" Ummmm no!

Carbohydrates drive insulin, and insulin drives fat-Gary Taubes
Old 11-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

I cringe a little one the inside when I hear "low fat" too.

Today is day 1 of my 3-day clear liquid pre-op diet. So far, pretty good. I had Thanksgiving on Saturday, so I can't tell you how happy I am that I had plenty of turkey broth today and now ham and turkey bones to make more. I've went through over a half-gallon of the stuff already! Now I'm brewing some coffee I took a bite of SF jello earlier... yuck is that stuff nasty! Maybe tomorrow I'll make some kind of natural version because just no.

Less than 3 days! I am SO freaking excited!
Old 11-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post

Today is day 1 of my 3-day clear liquid pre-op diet. So far, pretty good. I had Thanksgiving on Saturday, so I can't tell you how happy I am that I had plenty of turkey broth today and now ham and turkey bones to make more. I've went through over a half-gallon of the stuff already! Now I'm brewing some coffee I took a bite of SF jello earlier... yuck is that stuff nasty! Maybe tomorrow I'll make some kind of natural version because just no.

Yeah. I don't eat jello.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
Ok, I just arrived at my moms for the holiday and have to unpack but I quickly read through all of the above and quite honestly I starve at 1,2000 calories. Mine run between 15-1800 a day and I am maintaining just fine. Anything less and I start dropping weight fast. My carbs run about 100 or so but that comes from my two Starbucks a day.

I don't do full fat dairy, I do low fat cheese and zero fat chobani, 2 percent cottage cheese etc. for butter I use Benecol, I don't mind it and it agrees with me.

I think you need to figure out what works for you. Log your food for a few weeks and start playing with your numbers until you find your sweet spot.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #117
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Everyone. I am going to play around until I find what works. I don't mind some oatmeal and less fat, but I am not going super low fat or high carb no matter what she says. She had some good observations and suggestions but a lot of what she said made me just kind of look at her like she was nuts and she knew it. I'm "afraid" of carbs cause I love them so much I was almost 400 pounds! No wonder I don't want to purposely go down that road!

I went to Busch Gardens today. Ended up walking over 16000 steps (over 7 miles...). I am beat!! ttyt!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #118
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post

Alisa I am very excited for you! Jello doesn't work for me ever, unless I add some fruit to it, which you can't right now... Sounds like you have a great attitude! Yay you!!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

HT, that's a LOT of steps. Hope you had a great day at Busch Gardens! Can't wait to go back there and not feel so awkward with extra weight. It was so freaking hot when we went this summer, and I was the freak in extra-long capris and 3-quarter sleeves because I'm so self-conscious about my weight. Ugh, it was miserable. Not next time!

Thanks, guys! I won't be on tomorrow and I get surgery on Friday.

::SQUEE!!:: I'm so ready for this!

Happy Thanksgiving, and see you on the flip side!! I'll try to check in by Monday-ish.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #120
Blabbermouth!!!

Alisa - I was just like you - except I didn't fit on ANY rides... Yesterday I went on three different roller coasters, the log flume, and some other stuff and never had to think twice. And...walking that far would just not have happened three years ago. You are starting an awesome journey. I wish you the very best!!