Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #61

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
sorry I've been quiet... I've been reading every day though. I am doing alright. You know, it's odd. HT maybe this is what you are going through too. Sometimes I just feel so FAT and disappointed that I am not still in the 160s even if I only ever made it to 169.something. Then, I will have these moments like just a bit ago, I put on leggings and a size L hooded sweater and I caught myself in the mirror and was like "damn, I look hot" haha it's so weird. Most of the time I just still feel like I am NOT "normal" though... i can look hot because I am curvy. But I also feel fat.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Wow. They just posted official results and I did even better than I thought. I was 159th out of 309 runners. I finished in 39:04:02 and I ran 12:36 minute miles. I was 7th in my age group. Maybe I'm a better jogger than I thought!

Thanks, Heather! I am pretty proud and kinda humbled, too. I have been struggling with eating and with my appearance lately and this was a little positive experience I needed.

Cheer me on? You'd be right next to me, making me work harder and I'd love that!
We have a new PR and something to beat next time!!!!! Yes!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
Quote:
Wow. They just posted official results and I did even better than I thought. I was 159th out of 309 runners. I finished in 39:04:02 and I ran 12:36 minute miles. I was 7th in my age group. Maybe I'm a better jogger than I thought!

Thanks, Heather! I am pretty proud and kinda humbled, too. I have been struggling with eating and with my appearance lately and this was a little positive experience I needed.

Cheer me on? You'd be right next to me, making me work harder and I'd love that!
Congrats

I am so proud of you!
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Heather....

Question, I asked for the Garmin you have for Christmas. My friend said I do not need the foot pod or heart rate monitor. Is is worth getting or no?

I have a heart rate monitor my surgeon gave me as part of my pre-op package but I have never used it. Is it something I should be using?
Old 11-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissykin View Post
Heather....

Question, I asked for the Garmin you have for Christmas. My friend said I do not need the foot pod or heart rate monitor. Is is worth getting or no?

I have a heart rate monitor my surgeon gave me as part of my pre-op package but I have never used it. Is it something I should be using?
The HRM I rarely use but there are training programs for fat loss etc that want you to be in a certain hr zone so it's good for that. The foot pod I wanted so I could use the Garmin at the gym on the treadmill. But I've found I really like it on all runs so I can keep track of my cadence and improve my runs.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 220/130/120
Congrats on your 5k, HT! And Chewie, on the job prospect!

Less than 12 days to go for me! All pre-op appointments and requirements are met. I start clear liquids on the 26th. Having family over for "thanksgiving dinner" on the 23rd. Perfect that I can still work the holiday in =) I'll work at the office the first two clear liquid days-- i can hopefully keep busy, that way! Hopefully, by the real turkey day, my appetite will be null and void.... Fingers crossed. Any tips and tricks are very welcome!

The day after T-day, I'm the very first surgery of the day! Must be there by 5:30 AM.

I changed my iron-- saw your post last week, Heather, thanks! Much better, right away!

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

Last edited by Matrigna; 11-17-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #67

I was looking through my phone and in ALL of my recent pictures my hair is pulled back into a ponytail. It's tangling easily, knotting up, and breaking off and falling out in the shower by the handfuls. So. . it was time. I dig my curls. A lot. But I went short. I didn't intend to. I was going to get about 3 inches cut and some layers. But when I saw I had enough to donate I had them take it off. The last picture I found of myself with my hair down is my dl, and that's from August! It was time.

She blow dried it so it's straight but I'll probably let it curl more than I straighten it.

They're sideways. But I'm mobile so I'm not fixing them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_306972608603523.jpeg (36.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20131117_152003.jpg (33.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20131117_144528.jpg (31.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

The new, shorter 'do looks so good on you, Heather That and it's so healthy, bouncy, and shiny looking!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #69
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
sorry I've been quiet... I've been reading every day though. I am doing alright. You know, it's odd. HT maybe this is what you are going through too. Sometimes I just feel so FAT and disappointed that I am not still in the 160s even if I only ever made it to 169.something. Then, I will have these moments like just a bit ago, I put on leggings and a size L hooded sweater and I caught myself in the mirror and was like "damn, I look hot" haha it's so weird. Most of the time I just still feel like I am NOT "normal" though... i can look hot because I am curvy. But I also feel fat.
I'm quiet, too, and this is a huge part of it. I am slipping. I feel like a failure. I know to those of you who are waiting or wanting surgery I sound like I'm whining - I was there once, too, and didn't understand how someone could lose all that weight and still feel fat - but trust me, I do. All I see is (still) jiggly thighs and bras that don't fit and push weird back fat out - SO upsetting to me. I had all that plastic surgery and I still feel so ugly. I guess just goes to show its more than just what I look like, it is how I think, too. I find myself thinking I'll start this tomorrow...having mini food funerals (oh, this is my last piece of toast - tomorrow I start back on low-carb, etc...). All HUGE red flags to me. These are the behaviors I had before. All the things I not only SWORE I would never do again, but didn't even think I could DO again. Very upsetting.

I have an appointment with my nutritionist in a week. I wish I could have gotten in sooner than that. I was trying to see her about an anti-ulcer and naturally blood-thinning way of eating, but it is much larger than that.

Okay. I said it. It is all out on the table now. I am now going to go prep some healthy stuff for tomorrow...although I am currently not so keen on eating much of anything (very odd for me these days). On top of it all, I just saw a show on Discovery Health (I think it was) about a guy who weighed 750 pounds. Over the course of 3 years he was working with an advocate (who had already had gastric bypass) who was trying to get him WLS (he was in Guam, she was in TX). Different doctors had come to see him and had agreed to help him IF he would lose some weight first. After watching a while I realized the show was getting long and he hadn't had the surgery yet. Sure enough, they came back from commercial and cut to the 911 call of his wife. He died in his sleep as a result of his obesity.

I don't want to go back.

I have to do this NOW...and FOREVER.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post
Congrats on your 5k, HT! And Chewie, on the job prospect!

Less than 12 days to go for me! All pre-op appointments and requirements are met. I start clear liquids on the 26th. Having family over for "thanksgiving dinner" on the 23rd. Perfect that I can still work the holiday in =) I'll work at the office the first two clear liquid days-- i can hopefully keep busy, that way! Hopefully, by the real turkey day, my appetite will be null and void.... Fingers crossed. Any tips and tricks are very welcome!

The day after T-day, I'm the very first surgery of the day! Must be there by 5:30 AM.

I changed my iron-- saw your post last week, Heather, thanks! Much better, right away!
Keep your eyes on the prize and realize the food will still be there and there will be a time you can eat it (in moderation) again. The long-term benefits of this are so amazingly good it is worth the sacrifice. (Even after listening to me whine, trust me, I would do it all again in a heartbeat). You CAN do it!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes about my 5K. I'm already searching for another and see a 10K in March I might think about trying.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #72

Quote:
Quote:
I'm quiet, too, and this is a huge part of it. I am slipping. I feel like a failure. I know to those of you who are waiting or wanting surgery I sound like I'm whining - I was there once, too, and didn't understand how someone could lose all that weight and still feel fat - but trust me, I do. All I see is (still) jiggly thighs and bras that don't fit and push weird back fat out - SO upsetting to me. I had all that plastic surgery and I still feel so ugly. I guess just goes to show its more than just what I look like, it is how I think, too. I find myself thinking I'll start this tomorrow...having mini food funerals (oh, this is my last piece of toast - tomorrow I start back on low-carb, etc...). All HUGE red flags to me. These are the behaviors I had before. All the things I not only SWORE I would never do again, but didn't even think I could DO again. Very upsetting.
Ladies. Are you up for a challenge? We all know the key to our success is in our diets and exercise. Back to basics. Not liquids. Not gimmicks. Not deprivation. Back to what we know and held as sacred in the beginning...

Rule 1 - eat mindfully and in small amounts. Don't eat what you think you can eat now. Don't eat habitually. Eat slowly so you feel your full point and then stop.

Rule 2 - Eat six times a day to burn fat. It's easier to keep from overeating if you KNOW there's more food coming in a few hours.

Rule 3 - Avoid high calorie low volume foods. Food has value. Weigh what the food offers against what it "costs". No sugar. No high fat foods.

Rule 4 - Protein first. Period.

This is what I plan to do for at least the next 2 weeks. There are a few things I've let slide so it's time to reset.

THAT. And exercise. Like I used to. No more it's too cold out excuses.

Quote:
Keep your eyes on the prize and realize the food will still be there and there will be a time you can eat it (in moderation) again. The long-term benefits of this are so amazingly good it is worth the sacrifice. (Even after listening to me whine, trust me, I would do it all again in a heartbeat). You CAN do it!
Well. Moderation is a tricky concept. I can't do moderation. It doesn't work for me. I have to abstain from certain things period.

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes about my 5K. I'm already searching for another and see a 10K in March I might think about trying.
10ks are rough, but worth it. Then next stop half and full marathons!!
Old 11-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #73
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm up for the challenge, for sure. I hard-boiled some eggs and I have some tuna ready to go. I've always had yogurt and protein shakes, so I will be having those daily, too. That, and lots of water... Moderation worked for me for a while, but generally it doesn't work for long...that's part of what got me here. Good news is, there are plenty of things we can eat at Thanksgiving (turkey...veggies...) that taste good but won't cause a set-back. What I do know is that I do my best when I am avoiding bread, pasta, rice, and sugar. That is what I intend to do. Not, "Oh, just one slice of toast with my eggs." Not just one M&M. No more. I will weigh in tomorrow morning, but I am sure I am looking to lose at least 25 pounds - more to get to my original goal I never quite got to... Nothing to it but to do it.

Here's a new one: There's a 8K in my area in late January. 5 Miles. I know I can walk it, and I know I can run maybe half of it... I'm still thinking, but I'm thinking I'll most likely do it.

Thanks for the pep talk, Heather.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 11-17-2013 at 10:44 PM..
Old 11-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #74

Quote:
I'm up for the challenge, for sure. I hard-boiled some eggs and I have some tuna ready to go. I've always had yogurt and protein shakes, so I will be having those daily, too. That, and lots of water... Moderation worked for me for a while, but generally it doesn't work for long...that's part of what got me here. Good news is, there are plenty of things we can eat at Thanksgiving (turkey...veggies...) that taste good but won't cause a set-back. What I do know is that I do my best when I am avoiding bread, pasta, rice, and sugar. That is what I intend to do. Not, "Oh, just one slice of toast with my eggs." Not just one M&M. No more. I will weigh in tomorrow morning, but I am sure I am looking to lose at least 25 pounds - more to get to my original goal I never quite got to... Nothing to it but to do it.

Here's a new one: There's a 8K in my area in late January. 5 Miles. I know I can walk it, and I know I can run maybe half of it... I'm still thinking, but I'm thinking I'll most likely do it.

Thanks for the pep talk, Heather.
An 8k is a great next step!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #75

Went darker yesterday too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131118_072433.jpg (30.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20131118_072431.jpg (30.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
Went darker yesterday too.
Looks fabulous!
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #77
Blabbermouth!!!

Heather - I agree - love your new hairdo!

Yep, I'm almost certainly going to do the 8K. I think I've talked my DD15 to train and run along with me, too. If you had told me 3 years ago I'd be doing this I'd have said you were nutty!

I had a good day eating. No sugar or bread or any other "off limits" food for me. I need to continue to work on portions and frequency, but ridding my diet of those carby trigger foods can only be a positive move. Unfortunately I didn't get enough work done at work today to enable me to walk/jog after work, but I will make up for that tomorrow when I know I will have enough time later in the day. I am thinking I may lose a few pounds due to water weight, etc... so I am hoping to lose my first 5 pounds by Thanksgiving.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

HT, thank you! I really hope the nutritionist appointments and getting back to basics gets you where you want to be. I lost 85 or so lbs on my first go-round of Atkins in '03 and I was still pulling my kid in front of me in pictures and terrified to bare my legs at the beach... At a size 6, I still felt big and lumpy. I *need* to get past that, this time. I know there will be skin... I'm 40 now, and I've been large for a good while. I don't see you whining at all; I see you working on your goals despite the medical setbacks. The turkey is definitely the best part of thanksgiving... It's the one time of the year I make *************'s sage butter bacon turkey and I have to say that's what I'm looking to most this weekend =)

Heather, the dark hair is a definite winner. It looks great on you!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #79

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Hi. Started my new job yesterday. First days are hard. I hope today is better. No time to chat, just saying hi and I'll try to check in later.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
the nature of happiness

Depression is pretty common in my family, so I've spent a lot of time thinking about hapiness, how to obtain it, how to keep it, what does it flow from, can you decide to be happy? I am impressed by the determination of so many of the people on this board to not settle, to keep planning, to get what they need to be happy, be it weight loss, better fitness, better job, better boundaries with loved ones .... I have been for the most part, depression free for 20 some years. I am very very very happy with the results of my WLS , but even when I was obese I still considered myself a happy person. Here is my simple recipe for happiness (and I in no way mean to downplay the seriousness of depression or the need for pharmacuetical help or therapy, all of which I have used when needed) for me to be happy I need
1. Food that is truly good fuel
2. Exercise
3. Something interesting to do (for me it's my job, but when I was a stay at home Mom it was volunteering)
4. to cultivate gratitude, the more I am thankful, the more I notice what I have to be thankful for, it's a blessed circle.

When I can do these things I'm either happier, or I can see clearly what needs to be changed to be happier. I just noticed that many of the plans/challenges people are making for themselves have a lot of these same elements ... sending out good thoughts to everyone who is wanting to make a change, for great success as you strive towards your goals
Old 11-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Jesse. I am trying. I have better fuel now and I continue to exercise...just wish my job wasn't giving me such stress these days. I do feel as though I am in a terrible rut in general and there isn't much I can do about that right now. Money is tight and my health doesn't make me exactly feel like I'm ready to take on the world. While I am generally a thankful person - and I am truly thankful for all the good things and recovery I have been given - I am currently (honestly) pretty darn grumpy about a lot of things. Maybe as I lose more weight that will improve. I am down 2.3 pounds since I started back with my careful eating and exercise. -2.3 = 22.7 pounds to go...

Chewie - Hang in there with the job. I never liked starting new jobs - I'm sure we all have an idea of what you're going through. In a few weeks things will be much better!

Alisa - Thanks for the encouragement. Sage butter bacon turkey? I'll have to look into that!

Hi Angel - How are you!?!? I love that pic of you! How is your mom?

Chrissy - How are you doing?

Heather -I forgot to mention that I think your dog is soooo cute! I love puppies!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

We aren't allowed to post links here anymore, correct? Google "************* and roast turkey with sage butter." You'll know it's the one if you see 3 cups of chopped leeks. I've tried other recipes, but I keep going back to this one since 2003. Wish the couple still kept that blog and online mag up-- it's been quiet for years there!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #83

Quote:
We aren't allowed to post links here anymore, correct? Google "************* and roast turkey with sage butter." You'll know it's the one if you see 3 cups of chopped leeks. I've tried other recipes, but I keep going back to this one since 2003. Wish the couple still kept that blog and online mag up-- it's been quiet for years there!
My husband would love this! I, however, would have instant nausea.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Oh yeah. I doubt I'll be able to handle the turkey bathed in butter and slathered with bacon after this year! One day, I will most likely look back on this and totally cringe at the fat and calories. There has to be a way to get the fat and calories down and not ramp the flavor down or chemicals and dryness up too much. I'll have to start experimenting next year!

Last edited by Matrigna; 11-19-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Old 11-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am doing well HT thanks for asking.

One thing I wanted to tell you...I owe a lot of my success to the various boards I read. I hang out at a couple of VSG ones and before my surgery I read those boards from the newbie sections to the veterans sections. I knew what I had to do right from the day I left the hospital. I still carve out 10-15 minutes everyday and read the veterans sections. It gives me tons of motivation and support even though I don't post a word on any of them. You will find others who are struggling with the same things you happen to be at any given time and seeing you are not alone is a huge help. This is a life long addiction/disease we have and it will never go away. I totally understand your struggles, I have days I just want to throw in the towel but I have learned tomorrow is another day.

You can do this, I know you can!

Heather I LOVE the new hair
Old 11-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #86

I'm reading a book called Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance". It seems like a pretty interesting concept. I'm only about 1/4 into it but I think I'm learning a good bit. Next will be "The New Rules of Marathon and Half Marathon Nutrition" by the same author.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #87

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
It's not that you aren't allowed to post links, but links to sales sites (ANY, not just those which sell LC products) are not allowed at all... this helps us to avoid applying a rule only to those who are here promoting. Makes things simpler. Also, links to sites which don't sell things but which have forums are not allowed (sometimes people come here in order to drive traffic to a competing site). And, sites with excessive click-through links to sales pages are not allowed. So, ya, that eliminates a lot of stuff.

Many people find it easier to just not post links and do what you did and say "google xyz", which is acceptable
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It's not that you aren't allowed to post links, but links to sales sites (ANY, not just those which sell LC products) are not allowed at all... this helps us to avoid applying a rule only to those who are here promoting. Makes things simpler. Also, links to sites which don't sell things but which have forums are not allowed (sometimes people come here in order to drive traffic to a competing site). And, sites with excessive click-through links to sales pages are not allowed. So, ya, that eliminates a lot of stuff.

Many people find it easier to just not post links and do what you did and say "google xyz", which is acceptable
Thank you! I just realized you mod here Good to know stuff! I've been with LCF for a while now, but it's been on and off through the years. Lots has changed, since the beginning.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Quote:
Thanks Jesse. I am trying. I have better fuel now and I continue to exercise...just wish my job wasn't giving me such stress these days. I do feel as though I am in a terrible rut in general and there isn't much I can do about that right now. Money is tight and my health doesn't make me exactly feel like I'm ready to take on the world. While I am generally a thankful person - and I am truly thankful for all the good things and recovery I have been given - I am currently (honestly) pretty darn grumpy about a lot of things. Maybe as I lose more weight that will improve. I am down 2.3 pounds since I started back with my careful eating and exercise. -2.3 = 22.7 pounds to go...

Chewie - Hang in there with the job. I never liked starting new jobs - I'm sure we all have an idea of what you're going through. In a few weeks things will be much better!

Alisa - Thanks for the encouragement. Sage butter bacon turkey? I'll have to look into that!

Hi Angel - How are you!?!? I love that pic of you! How is your mom?

Chrissy - How are you doing?

Heather -I forgot to mention that I think your dog is soooo cute! I love puppies!
Good Job HT! I have dropped a few lbs myself, not really sure how! except maybe the new guy I am seeing...

Anyway, my mom is doing ok-I decided to move in with her (tired of trying to deal with 2 households!). She had her revision surgery and is doing mostly good but I can see where her food choices can have a negative affect on how she feels! I just feel like she doesn't "get" it. She feels like she should be able to eat/drink whatever she wants. Ummmmm. NO! Not only does she get dumping...but she also still has unstable blood sugars! It's a bit frustrating to try to get her to understand. Your life is different now, you can't do whatever you want-unless you want the consequences that go with it.

Carbohydrates drive insulin, and insulin drives fat-Gary Taubes
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #90

Quest bars - yes or no? I remember a conversation about these before... I've tried ONE previously and it was an almost immediate trip to the bathroom potty... I won a 15 bar sample pack from a well know bariatric blog and am leery of trying them again! No sugars, no sugar alcohols and TONS of fiber...