Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Tried something new last night ~ a cigar. Everybody was smoking one to celebrate a friend's birthday so I thought why not. It was really just a teeny tiny one, hand rolled by the tobacoist who had been hired to entertain. Nonetheless I felt a bit wicked. It certainly helped keep me away from the treats for awhile. Question, when will people stop exclaiming about my weight loss? When I was in Italy this summer on a tour, it was really nice that no one talked with me about my weight loss, to them I had always been this size. Normal. I appreciate the kind thoughts and well wishes but I feel awkward, like I'm taking up too much of the conversational space instead of the physical space.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
It was a weird situation for me. On one hand, I didn't like the attention, but on the other I was proud of my achievements. People do stop making a fuss in time. There are some, now, I know, who are watching and waiting for me to gain (more) weight. They are some of the reasons I don't give up!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Good morning.

Happy Veteran's day and thanks to all Vets for their service.

I am playing hooky today.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #34

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
My half marathon training schedule for the week. It's real y'all. Bought and paid for ($102!!) so I'm going through with it! I'll rearrange the actual days to fit my schedule, but the content will all be the same. I like a yoga class on Mondays so I'll keep that. Long runs will be done on weekends so Sunday's fine with me, unless I have a race on Saturday then I'll just add extra miles to that day. For Cross training I'll probably do speed work on a track (sprint on the straights and walk on the curves) or hill repeats (run up a hill, walk back down, repeat for 2 miles or so). Strength I'll probably add some insanity or some power yoga. I have 21 weeks and this is a 12 week plan so I can go through the first few weeks as is and then double up the rest (repeat for 2 weeks), or double them all up and just do the last few as is, which is probably better since they are longer distances!

Mon - Stretch & strengthen
Tue - 3 m run
Wed - 2 m run or cross
Thurs - 3 m run + strength
Fri - Rest
Sat - 30 min cross
Sun - 4 m run

Along the way I've scheduled:

November - a 10k on Thanksgiving
December - just some various fun 5k's
January - 15k (9.3 miles) or 10 miler - undecided which one to do
February - 15k
March - half marathon
Old 11-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #35

I was tired of the questions after a while. Maybe not so much the questions, but the same old responses. No way! I never thought you were THAT big. OMG you don't look like you used to be overweight, you're so skinny now! Wow! How did you do it?

Got to be when the same people would ask weekly, if not daily, how much I'd lost now I'd just say "I'm pretty much the same".
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 220/138/120
1life2live, my fingers are so crossed for you! And me too! I called the insurance this morning, and my pre-authorization approval is ďpending clinical review by a nurse.Ē I know these things take time but arrrgghh! I am sorry to hear about your arthritis but hope it can help with approval.

Iíve been lurking at other boards and trying support groups all over northern VA, and Iím even more convinced this is the right place for me to plant my roots. I canít believe the amount long-term post-ops I see (and read) who are shining examples of what not to do.

I used to kickbox. OMG, I loved it! I would kickbox for an hour and then walk across the hall and do ashtanga yoga for an hour. It was such a good combination beat and kick something and then zen out. The kickboxing classes are what showed me that I *can* run without dying; I never ran before that. Took me forever to work up to, though. You guys signing up for 5Ks and running are so inspiring and thatís where I want to be. I know they have all sorts of fun things to work up to in the DC/VA area. I want to kickbox and do yoga again, too. Iím not in driving distance from my old town, so I need to find new places. I love led classes, but I have a kickboxing stand, gloves, and dvdsÖ. which have pretty much been gathering dust for like a year now, while Iíve made every excuse in the book not to really get back into exercise. I have been doing aerobics and hiking with the dog, and my one heel is KILLING me again. Normally, that would stop me. But Iím working on getting out there as much as possible before surgery anyway. Hopefully itís weight-related and will stop in a few months.

SoÖ. 18 days until my surgery date. Everything is complete except for my pre-op appointment this Thursday. Phew! They sure do have you run around like crazy with appointments. Hopefully, that will calm down after surgery. Iíve been working to take all my vitamins, too. The iron is messing with me (a.k.a. I would give anything to have a little inner tube to sit on right now)!
The nutritionist advised me last week to get a flu shot. Iím hemming and hawing over that oneÖ. I stopped getting those years ago. I think I should probably do it this once.

I will probably need to ditch my company holiday party this year, which they decided to have early, exactly seven days after my surgery. To a nice steakhouse. They have french onion soup on the menu, and the nutritionist said the broth of that should be fine but I will probably be too exhausted to go, anyway. My job thinks my surgery is female-related and has already paid for everyone to attend.... before invitations were sent. Just found that out today. And there's a set menu with no french onion soup to be found. Ugh. So, if I drag myself there, I'm sticking to water. There are good reasons for the need to do so, but lying to my job is a situation that feels like it's getting complicated fast.

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post
The iron is messing with me (a.k.a. I would give anything to have a little inner tube to sit on right now)!
If the iron is constipating you then you are taking the wrong kind. Regular OTC iron has a higher concentration of iron salts, which is not absorbable or usable by the body, so while it may SAY you're getting 350 mg you aren't. Those iron salts are what turn the stool black and constipate people. Pay attention to the elemental iron amount on the label. I take carbonyl iron which is 100% elemental iron and I take heme iron which is the same. Mg for mg.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #38

My temp assignment has ended unexpectedly early. The woman I was covering for came back much earlier than they expected. She was out on FMLA cause her dh has a brain tumor and it's bad but he's in rehab now. So now I'm without a job and money again. Sigh.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
My temp assignment has ended unexpectedly early. The woman I was covering for came back much earlier than they expected. She was out on FMLA cause her dh has a brain tumor and it's bad but he's in rehab now. So now I'm without a job and money again. Sigh.
Stinky! Boo hiss! Yuck! Is there anything else on the radar?
Old 11-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
Stinky! Boo hiss! Yuck! Is there anything else on the radar?
I was offered an admin office manager position in my small town but when I called back to discuss the salary, I got vm. I left a message and am waiting to hear back. I don't think they're going to want to pay a good amount. Although they did say they had been paying only $11 an hour, not acceptable to me, and no one would stay, people kept leaving. Yeah, figure it out!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #41

A MANAGER position at $11? No wonder they left!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #42

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Tried something new last night ~ a cigar. Everybody was smoking one to celebrate a friend's birthday so I thought why not. It was really just a teeny tiny one, hand rolled by the tobacoist who had been hired to entertain. Nonetheless I felt a bit wicked. It certainly helped keep me away from the treats for awhile. Question, when will people stop exclaiming about my weight loss? When I was in Italy this summer on a tour, it was really nice that no one talked with me about my weight loss, to them I had always been this size. Normal. I appreciate the kind thoughts and well wishes but I feel awkward, like I'm taking up too much of the conversational space instead of the physical space.
Well, I was going to say that eventually they do die down... but whenever you see someone you hadn't seen since your weight loss, expect to not be recognized, ask how you did it, be expected to want to talk about it... lol

Sunday night I saw my BFF's husband's biological mother.... she did not recognize me. I personally had completely forgotten how long it's been since she'd seen me (6 years) so I was pretty surprised when it finally DID dawn on her who I was and she exclaimed and fawned all over me and asked me how I lost all that weight, etc. I was like :yawn: lol but to her it was all so exciting. hehe

So, although I pretty much stopped losing weight over two years ago, there are still going to be people I run into who haven't seen me in more than 3 years who have no idea that I am no longer the weight I was when they last saw me.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #43

Quote:
A MANAGER position at $11? No wonder they left!
Exactly and the woman even knew it was a problem. I have no idea what they're going to offer. Time will tell.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Exactly and the woman even knew it was a problem. I have no idea what they're going to offer. Time will tell.
TBH if they offered the position I would probably take it if I didn't have anything else on the table and needed the income, with the intention of leaving for the next better offer that came up.

But to expect someone to manage people at that salary and NOT leave at the first opportunity? Incredible!
Old 11-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #45

Quote:
TBH if they offered the position I would probably take it if I didn't have anything else on the table and needed the income, with the intention of leaving for the next better offer that came up.

But to expect someone to manage people at that salary and NOT leave at the first opportunity? Incredible!
They offered $12 with the understanding t hat after I prove myself, a month or 2 down the road, they will come up with a few more dollars an hour. I stopped in and picked up the employee manual and paperwork. I don't have anything to lose.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
I am getting a little frustrated and need some opinions...

I still have a high body fat percentage. I have not had it professionally tested but my scale is pretty much in line with the one I had done a few years ago professionally so I am using that as a guide. This morning is said 30.6 percent bodyfat. When I started my weight loss journey I was 49 percent.

I am doing kickboxing 3-4 times a week and everything I read said it will burn bodyfat. I am in my fifth week and have lost no inches, I have lost nine pounds. I eat clean, burn a ton of calories everyday but nothing is happening. I know it takes awhile but I should be seeing that stupid tape measure moving somewhere. I know you can not spot reduce but I am wondering if lifting is the only way to go?

I am thinking of rejoining a gym just to get some weights in. I am loathe to join The gym again because I hate them so much but I don't know if lifting is the only way I am going to tone up. I still have a big gut and fat on my hips. Any ideas?

ETA. I just checked my records..when I started kickboxing my BF was 33.8 today 30.6 it has been a downward trend on my scale, but still no inches lost.

Last edited by Chrissykin; 11-14-2013 at 06:00 AM..
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I can't edit again but wanted to add...

My clothes are feeling loser and I have looked at pictures of loose skin on the net and while I am sure loose skin is playing a part of this, I do have body fat to burn and I know I can loose more inches. I really don't have much more weight to lose, my face is getting really thin and my shoulders and clavicle are looking pretty bony. My wrists look like a starving child the bones are so prominent with veins popping out.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissykin View Post
I am getting a little frustrated and need some opinions...

I still have a high body fat percentage. I have not had it professionally tested but my scale is pretty much in line with the one I had done a few years ago professionally so I am using that as a guide. This morning is said 30.6 percent bodyfat. When I started my weight loss journey I was 49 percent.

I am doing kickboxing 3-4 times a week and everything I read said it will burn bodyfat. I am in my fifth week and have lost no inches, I have lost nine pounds. I eat clean, burn a ton of calories everyday but nothing is happening. I know it takes awhile but I should be seeing that stupid tape measure moving somewhere. I know you can not spot reduce but I am wondering if lifting is the only way to go?

I am thinking of rejoining a gym just to get some weights in. I am loathe to join The gym again because I hate them so much but I don't know if lifting is the only way I am going to tone up. I still have a big gut and fat on my hips. Any ideas?

ETA. I just checked my records..when I started kickboxing my BF was 33.8 today 30.6 it has been a downward trend on my scale, but still no inches lost.
Average female bf% is 25-33. Athlete is 14-20. Give it time. Bf% is affected more by diet than exercise tbh. And those scales are incorrect. They count water, stool, food, everything else as fat. It changes. I go from 17-30 in the same day and I have a $200 scale
Old 11-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Average female bf% is 25-33. Athlete is 14-20. Give it time. Bf% is affected more by diet than exercise tbh. And those scales are incorrect. They count water, stool, food, everything else as fat. It changes. I go from 17-30 in the same day and I have a $200 scale
I know it is not the most accurate. I am just using it as a guide.

I talked to a trainer today and they said I have to do weights to reduce bodyfat and build up so back to the gym I am going.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #50

Quote:
I know it is not the most accurate. I am just using it as a guide.

I talked to a trainer today and they said I have to do weights to reduce bodyfat and build up so back to the gym I am going.
Right. As long as you see you are trending downward over time then I wouldn't worry too much about the actual number. But as of right now you are in a good average range. You have to remember women have hips and boobs that are "read" as fat on those types of scales.

If you can find someplace that has a dunk tank to do your body fat reading it's a little more accurate. I had mine done before and it was only about $40. You get in a swimsuit (or whatever you want to wear), sit in the tank, exhale ALL your air as much as you can and then sink down underwater with only your chin and mouth above the water. You hold your breath (the machine measures air in your lungs and colon as fat) for a little bit and then you come up and can breathe again. It's not long, but when you are holding it feels like I was about to die .
Old 11-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Sort of... you definitely want to do weight training of some sort to increase muscle. That changes your percentage. So weights increases muscle and diet reduces fat. It was weird. The place I mentioned above wanted me to reduce my body fat to 18% for my goal (I think it was at 23% or something around there) and to do so I either needed to GAIN 10 pounds of muscle or LOSE 10 pounds of fat. To throw the ratio of fat to muscle down those few points. I was like GAIN weight? Uh uh!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Sort of... you definitely want to do weight training of some sort to increase muscle. That changes your percentage. So weights increases muscle and diet reduces fat. It was weird. The place I mentioned above wanted me to reduce my body fat to 18% for my goal (I think it was at 23% or something around there) and to do so I either needed to GAIN 10 pounds of muscle or LOSE 10 pounds of fat. To throw the ratio of fat to muscle down those few points. I was like GAIN weight? Uh uh!
Thnx, Heather I have decided to call goal since I am at 160. For my height and age I am ok with that. Now I am going to focus on changing my body composition.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #53

Quote:
Thnx, Heather I have decided to call goal since I am at 160. For my height and age I am ok with that. Now I am going to focus on changing my body composition.
160 is a good number. You'll find that as you focus on composition (I recommend yoga!!!!) you will maybe not change weight (or you will go up a little) but you will change size. You'll probably also find (depending on how far out you are) that even though you say "I'm here, this is where I want to be" your body will have a different idea. I was good to go at 150-160. My body however, after taking a good 6 month or so break, decided to drop another 25-30 pounds. Of course, it then decided to put 10 or so of that back on again, and I'm okay with that.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
My half marathon training schedule for the week. It's real y'all. Bought and paid for ($102!!) so I'm going through with it! I'll rearrange the actual days to fit my schedule, but the content will all be the same. I like a yoga class on Mondays so I'll keep that. Long runs will be done on weekends so Sunday's fine with me, unless I have a race on Saturday then I'll just add extra miles to that day. For Cross training I'll probably do speed work on a track (sprint on the straights and walk on the curves) or hill repeats (run up a hill, walk back down, repeat for 2 miles or so). Strength I'll probably add some insanity or some power yoga. I have 21 weeks and this is a 12 week plan so I can go through the first few weeks as is and then double up the rest (repeat for 2 weeks), or double them all up and just do the last few as is, which is probably better since they are longer distances!

Mon - Stretch & strengthen
Tue - 3 m run
Wed - 2 m run or cross
Thurs - 3 m run + strength
Fri - Rest
Sat - 30 min cross
Sun - 4 m run

Along the way I've scheduled:

November - a 10k on Thanksgiving
December - just some various fun 5k's
January - 15k (9.3 miles) or 10 miler - undecided which one to do
February - 15k
March - half marathon
You motivated me to get going!

I talked to my co-worker yesterday about the Chicago Marathon and she wants to start training in April. I am going to get a jump so I picked out a 5 and 10k race to prepare for. One is in March the other April. It will give me a feel for a race and also gets me going on all this. I am a bit overwhelmed. The only thing I have ever run for is to the fridge.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #55

HT! I hope all went well today! I don't know what the time is there, or if there is a time difference - but I know you rocked/are rocking your 5k today!!!!
Old 11-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #56

Quote:
HT! I hope all went well today! I don't know what the time is there, or if there is a time difference - but I know you rocked/are rocking your 5k today!!!!
Checking back in again.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi I did okay - probably a personal best, to be honest. I don't have the official time, but I'm pretty sure I did it in 40:02 or thereabouts. I had hoped to only get through it in 45 minutes, so I did almost 5 minutes better than that. That makes it about 13:30 minute miles and I usually only do about 14 minute miles, so yay me!! It was actually kinda fun and I'm thinking after a few more 5K's I'll probably try a 10K.
PS: In an ironic twist, my general doctor was the first aid doctor and she saw me and was happy I was there. It was good all around, except for the rain, but at least it made things cooler. I teared up a bit when I realized I had done much better than I had planned, but no one saw because of the rain.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 11-16-2013 at 12:14 PM..
Old 11-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Hi I did okay - probably a personal best, to be honest. I don't have the official time, but I'm pretty sure I did it in 40:02 or thereabouts. I had hoped to only get through it in 45 minutes, so I did almost 5 minutes better than that. That makes it about 13:30 minute miles and I usually only do about 14 minute miles, so yay me!! It was actually kinda fun and I'm thinking after a few more 5K's I'll probably try a 10K.
PS: In an ironic twist, my general doctor was the first aid doctor and she saw me and was happy I was there. It was good all around, except for the rain, but at least it made things cooler. I teared up a bit when I realized I had done much better than I had planned, but no one saw because of the rain.
Awesome!!!! You're the only one that the whole time thing truly matters to anyway. To me every race is a personal achievement. Good or bad! I'd I were closer I'd come cheer you on!
Old 11-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #59
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow. They just posted official results and I did even better than I thought. I was 159th out of 309 runners. I finished in 39:04:02 and I ran 12:36 minute miles. I was 7th in my age group. Maybe I'm a better jogger than I thought!

Thanks, Heather! I am pretty proud and kinda humbled, too. I have been struggling with eating and with my appearance lately and this was a little positive experience I needed.

Cheer me on? You'd be right next to me, making me work harder and I'd love that!

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 11-16-2013 at 01:50 PM..
Old 11-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #60

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
congrats HT!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote