LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Job hunting stinks. I applied for a temp position in our local university and took a few tests on Thursday, typing, Excel and word. Got a call today for a temp job but it's full time and goes through mid-December and only $10 an hour. They would like me to start tomorrow. The weird thing is I already applied for this exact job on their website about 2 weeks ago. I've been told that this temp thing often leads to an offer for a permanent job. I don't know what to do. GRRRRR I told the lady I'd call her back in a little while. What to do???????
I actually like temporary work ~ just when the office politics get to be crazy or that throat clearer in the next cube has you contemplating homicide you get to move on to a new job. When I was a stay at home Mom, I temped off and on when my husband had time off and I considered it an opportunity to audition companies before I went back into the workforce fulltime again. I ended up getting my masters in special education and began teaching fulltime, but if I were ever out of a job again, I would temp while I looked for what I really wanted. If you got offered something you really wanted, you could just give the temp job 2 weeks notice and move on, if not, you've got some cash to help out for Christmas and maybe another person to give you a good reference while you keep job hunting.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 210/145/110
WOE: Primal-ish (WLS 11/29/13)
Tammy -- good luck with your approval!

And, Chewie-- I started at a temp agency when the teaching career wasn't paying. Not at first, but it's how I landed my first "white collar" job... I think I worked three temp jobs before that one hired me on. A fortune 500 company, so all of those typing and Word proficiency tests were worth it. So GOOD LUCK! Over here in the DMV, the job market stinks... I've been selectively looking.

And thank all of you very much for answering about your gallbladder situation. I'd truly feel better with the meds. Since this was the surgeon's dietician who I asked about what the surgeon normally did, I didn't ask the surgeon, and I didn't ask if I could request that and he'd do it, I will plan to do that. Maybe it's just a matter of letting him know my preference and he'll do it. We'll see.

So.... last night, I was at another support group meeting. They said I would need a blood gasses test and sleep study before surgery, in addition to my already ordered CBC diff, PCP clearance, and EKG. My surgeon hasn't ordered me to do either of these tests, so far, and it seems awfully close not to have mentioned it by now. So I'm curious if the gas and sleep study tests are standard, required tests.

Thursday, I go to my bariatric pre-op welcome seminar at the hospital (There sure are a LOT of requirements to meet before surgery... all totally worth it but ugh! LOL)

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post

And, Chewie-- I started at a temp agency when the teaching career wasn't paying. Not at first, but it's how I landed my first "white collar" job... I think I worked three temp jobs before that one hired me on. A fortune 500 company, so all of those typing and Word proficiency tests were worth it. So GOOD LUCK! Over here in the DMV, the job market stinks... I've been selectively looking.

And thank all of you very much for answering about your gallbladder situation. I'd truly feel better with the meds. Since this was the surgeon's dietician who I asked about what the surgeon normally did, I didn't ask the surgeon, and I didn't ask if I could request that and he'd do it, I will plan to do that. Maybe it's just a matter of letting him know my preference and he'll do it. We'll see.

So.... last night, I was at another support group meeting. They said I would need a blood gasses test and sleep study before surgery, in addition to my already ordered CBC diff, PCP clearance, and EKG. My surgeon hasn't ordered me to do either of these tests, so far, and it seems awfully close not to have mentioned it by now. So I'm curious if the gas and sleep study tests are standard, required tests.

Thursday, I go to my bariatric pre-op welcome seminar at the hospital (There sure are a LOT of requirements to meet before surgery... all totally worth it but ugh! LOL)
I had previously diagnosed apnea so I had to do another sleep study, but I did not have to have a blood gasses test, or most other tests. I had to have a psych eval, 6 month supervised diet, blood panels, and an EKG. That's it, and I've recovered well. If you trust your surgeon don't worry about the other tests. He/she has your medical history and knows what tests you need.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #124
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:

Every surgeon is different. I had a sleep study. I did have apnea. But he did it because in my questionnaire I snored and had migraines. I had no blood gas and it wasn't something we ever did when I worked in the OR.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #125
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jody1958
Temp work

I have been doing contract work for several years now. For me, the flexability to be off when I need to be off makes it worth the downside that I don't get PTO. I do get a good hourly rate and since I drive an hour I am considered a traveler which is a tax advantage.
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #126

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Thanks Jody, I took the job and start at 8 am tomorrow. I did the HR paperwork and paid $28 for my stupid parking pass. I also went to 4 thrift stores and got a bunch of stuff, 3 blazers, 2 slacks, a few sweaters and a few tops too. It was fun but now I'm tired. I need to pack up healthy snacks to take tomorrow and I want to change my purse to a different one too.
chewiegand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #127

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Day 1 stunk. No one to train me and not much to do so it dragged. Today is day 2 and not as bad but just not feeling it. If you pray, please keep this situation in your prayers. I need someplace that will value my education(*MBA) and my management experience. It is so hard.
chewiegand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Heather. Since I mentioned this, I called my surgeon's office and found out that I won't need the sleep study or blood gas tests. Woot =) Less running around is a good thing.

Only... I have nothing on my calendar WLS-related all of this coming week. It's making me stir crazy already! Now I'm really fighting an online shopping bug. I've bought natural gelatin (good natural protein, to mix in stuff), a 12-pack of lemon green tea ready-to-drink Isopure, the Unjury starter pack, Unjury chicken mix, and my chewable multi-vitamin. I am fighting to hold off on anything more. I'm making bone broth I case I hate the Unjury chicken. And I am an herbal tea freak with a cabinet of it already, so that will work if I get tired of water sometimes. I do still need to buy the calcium citrate, D3, iron, & b-12. I think that should be all I need, at first. The Isopure alone should last me almost two weeks of total "food" intake needed. I heard my surgeon sends patients home from the hospital with a care package of stuff, too. So I'm almost set! Now I just need to breathe and chill.

Good luck at the new job this week, Chewi! I hope it's a better one. My fingers are crossed that you land a great job.

Last edited by Matrigna; 10-27-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Old 10-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #129

Quote:
I've bought natural gelatin (good natural protein, to mix in stuff).
Why? Unless you can point me to valid medical literature that says otherwise, I consider collagen protein as pretty much a junk protein source. It's not something our body can use as protein. Now, it does have other beneficial properties for bone and joint health, but not protein.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #130

Lookie here. And it only took me 1:11:50 (unofficially by my watch - I'm still waiting for the official race times).

This was my 10k (actually a little tiny bit more - 6.29 miles lol) this morning.

Below is the 5k I ran yesterday. So, just shy of 10 miles over the weekend. And I don't hurt (yet)!

Lol, yes same headband in both. I work up over AN HOUR late this morning and panicked because I had to run in an hour in Ft Worth (about 40 mins away). I tossed on some clothes, mixed up some protein, grabbed my race bag (that I THANKFULLY packed with necessaries the night before - Garmin, shuffle, earphones, bib, pb crackers, Nuun...) but forgot my sunglasses (it was overcast so I was okay) and my cell phone (gasp!). I had to awkwardly ask a perfect stranger who was taking their own picture to take one of me and text it to me lol.

You know, the longest I had run to date was just over 3 miles - about 3.5. I registered for this 10k before Molly passed because we were going to train up to the distance. It didn't happen. I didn't do it - I wasn't running for a long time after she passed. I just started back up again. I *ALMOST* asked at packet pickup yesterday if I could "downsize" to the 5k race, and last night I was saying well I can just run part of it and jump at one of the out and backs and just do 4 or 5 miles... I didn't. I did all darn 6.2 miles. And another .09 to boot. I looked at my watch and saw I was 1.5 miles in and thought WOW, how did that happen? Then I was 3 in and I said Oh cool - halfway there. Then 4 - and I celebrated my longest. Then 5 - a NEW longest. Then 6 - and I thought OH I should have registered for the half (HA! - cuz that's when the half runners split off for the remaining 7+ miles). It was awesome. I don't hurt. I'm not exhausted. I ran DOUBLE what my normal is and I've set a new bar for myself. Time to register for my half!

And I have my first kickin' piece of bling (they were giving bling for the 5k too, but I wanted my first piece to be special - longer!).
Old 10-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

I'm practicing maintenance right now, although I may decide to go ahead and try to lose down to 150. Right now, I need a break from weight loss mode. My maintenance rules for right now are
1. weigh every day even if I want to avoid it
2. Log foods everyday and be honest with myself about what I ate (when I feel like I don't want to write it down I try to tell myself this is not about good or bad, this is data collection so I can see what works and what doesn't)
3. Meet my daily protein goals
4. Take my vitamins and supplements
5. Meet my minimum fluid intake
6. A 3# uptick from lowest recorded weight means a return to weight loss mode

I know I need to get back to exercising also, in the meantime I am trying to add activity whenever possible; parking farther away, using the stairs, walking around my classroom while teaching...

So everything is mostly the same except I am eating between 1200 - 1400 calories a day. I was in Chicago for 4 days last week and I came back up 2 pounds, so I went back to weight loss mode (dropped calories, upped protein, lowered carbs) and got rid of that gain in a few days. Feeling good, but always understanding this is a work in progress ....
Old 10-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Way to go Heather. Nice bling! And to think my idea of activity today was to park in the back lot at Costco

Last edited by Jesse; 10-27-2013 at 04:04 PM..
Old 10-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Wow. Congratulations on the 5K and 10K weekend total, Heather. Amazing and inspiring! I would love to work up to that.

About the gelatin, It's been a while, but Westin A. Price... I have a couple books and cookbook, but their site is good too. I know that's not a scientific source, but I've trusted them since thyroid cancer to make changes. They are my go-to I use great lakes brand. I figured, since it's healing to the GI tract, among a ton of other good stuff, and since it was natural, it was a good thing to add in for after WLS. Did you mean Jell-o, maybe, or the natural stuff too?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #134
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Mair
Congrats Heather! That is awesome. I notice you wrote that you are 40 miles from Fort Worth? Where do you live? I live in Granbury which is 40 miles West of Fort Worth.

Still waiting to hear from insurance. Waiting is the worst.
Mair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Heather Way To Go.. So very happy for you..
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mair View Post
Congrats Heather! That is awesome. I notice you wrote that you are 40 miles from Fort Worth? Where do you live? I live in Granbury which is 40 miles West of Fort Worth.

Still waiting to hear from insurance. Waiting is the worst.
I'm the opposite direction. I'm SE of FTW, about 20 miles SE of Dallas - in Midlothian. We used to go to Granbury all the time when my daughter played soccer. We were John Oubre Memorial tournament champions many years in a row. I never get back out that way. It's funny though because I was just looking for some more races not too long ago to push me further - an 8 mile, a 15k, a 10 mile and a half and I came across a race in Granbury that sounded fun. I can't remember what it was now!!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #137

See me sporting my super cool and uber conscientious RoadID in the 10k pic - it's like a med alert bracelet and runner's ID in one. There's even a med alert symbol you can slide on the band. My regular Med alert ID broke and lost during a race one time so I replaced it. I have one for everyday wear and this one for race wear. It's a rubber band (like those awareness bracelets) with an engraved stainless steel slide and clasp. I recommend anyone running, biking, walking anywhere get one. Mine has my full name and year of birth, hubby's name and contact phone, allergies and RNY: No Blind NG tube on it. You can get an interactive version that has a pin # for a website if you have more to include. Mine's a pretty purple, the regular version not the slim, and the bands are interchangeable. I heart it!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #138
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Mair
Dang it! Got a call from the surgeons office that my insurance wants me to do 1 more visit with the nutritionist. I pray I can get this done before year end so my deductibles don't start all over.
Mair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

I'm back from reading and more reading and thanks, Heather, for flagging it for me-- I had no real clue. I now understand about collagen protein not being a good source of fuel because it lacks the amino acids whey and casein have. I'll still use it and treat it as a type of supplement, but not as a protein in place of the others. You guys have helped me more here than other boards combined, so thank you for that =)

Mair, I hope you hear from your insurance very soon! I didn't think I had anything to do this week, but I actually have the PCP med clearance/EKG/CBC labs visit on Friday. I didn't think to flip the calendar since Friday is the 1st, so I didn't see it. Next week is my last dietician appt and then I'll be waiting on insurance approval too.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #140

Quote:
I'm back from reading and more reading and thanks, Heather, for flagging it for me-- I had no real clue. I now understand about collagen protein not being a good source of fuel because it lacks the amino acids whey and casein have. I'll still use it and treat it as a type of supplement, but not as a protein in place of the others. You guys have helped me more here than other boards combined, so thank you for that =)
It's a protein, but it's no good for you as a protein. I did go read the website you mentioned and while it does have some good things on it I'm not sure I would put a lot of faith in it. I say take what you learn here and there and everywhere else, find what works best for you and make your own path!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

victory or slippery slope? thinking aloud ....

A rarity in the world of education ~ today we had a free lunch. Pizza, salad, fruit and cookies. I went to the lunchroom, took the smallest slice, a few chunks of fruit salad and a cookie. I ate slowly, chewed carefully, threw away about a quarter of the slice but did manage to eat the cookie just fine. I am about 17 months post surgery. I would've have passed on this last year because I was actively losing weight. So I had the enternal discussion oh no, am I sliding down a slippery slope OR am I eating like a normal weight person? I thought about lunches past ~ probably would've had 2 slices of pizza (to me that was a serving size, and I sometimes had more than one serving!) salad with dressing, at least a cup of fruit and 2 cookies, you know one for later I logged everything, didn't exeed my daily calories and met my protein requirements... sooo I am leaning towards victory in that things have really changed in what I think is an approrpiate amount to eat and that I am satisfied with an appropriate amount. Still being ever watchful, still weighing everyday to make sure that the amount is indeed appropriate .... still learning ....

ETA: Not sure if I should even post these musings, because talk of cookies and pizza may be opening a can of worms. I guess this is just another part of my journey, and I've shared a lot so far, and it feels better if I'm honest about every part of it.

Last edited by Jesse; 10-30-2013 at 06:40 PM..
Old 10-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #142
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Jesse - Yes, you should post stuff like this! At least I do it, and I do it to hear what others have to say. As for me, I also tested the waters of "normal eating." For me, I wish I had never done it - it is that slippery slope I never needed. If you can do it and not backslide more power to you. As for me, I now find myself almost 20 pounds above my lowest weight and I am hating myself for it. Yes, I am working at taking it off again and yes, I know I've been through Hell and back, but it still stinks that I did it to myself one meal/snack/indiscretion at a time, you know? I do think you did just fine with the meal - I'm just thinking of what I ended up doing and I would hate so see any of us spiral ot of control like I've kinda done.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #143
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
See me sporting my super cool and uber conscientious RoadID in the 10k pic - it's like a med alert bracelet and runner's ID in one. There's even a med alert symbol you can slide on the band. My regular Med alert ID broke and lost during a race one time so I replaced it. I have one for everyday wear and this one for race wear. It's a rubber band (like those awareness bracelets) with an engraved stainless steel slide and clasp. I recommend anyone running, biking, walking anywhere get one. Mine has my full name and year of birth, hubby's name and contact phone, allergies and RNY: No Blind NG tube on it. You can get an interactive version that has a pin # for a website if you have more to include. Mine's a pretty purple, the regular version not the slim, and the bands are interchangeable. I heart it!
I need to get one of these, considering I usually walk with no ID or even a house key. This is a great idea - especially the info about the NG tube on it... Thanks for talking about it Heather.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
Congrats Heather you are so awesome
Chrissykin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #145

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010