Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mair View Post
I am having the sleeve. I had to quit taking the NSAIDS for the endoscope but Tylenol just doesn't do much but I am trying really hard to ween myself from the NSAIDS.
Someone with a sleeve can chime in for sure but in general NSAIDS are a nono post any WLS because of the reduced stomach size and the risk of ulcers. More dangerous in RNY because the main stomach is blind but equally susceptible in any WLS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Just checking in ~ had a crazy weekend, my dd and one of her friends had fall break so stayed with us , my Mom came for the weekend while my Dad was up getting the hunting shack ready for deer season and my brother in law and sister in law were visiting from Texas (they didn't stay at our house though, which was okay because all beds were claimed) so there were lunches out, and dinner parties, and a football game, and shopping, and a gangster tour (St. Paul MN was a safe haven for gangsters back in the 1920s) and more hanging out with my husbands siblings and their families. Fun but I am tired now. Told myself this morning it's just 5 days until the weekend and I have nothing planned so I can collapse once I make it to Friday night. When I get so busy I can still manage the food, but it sure throws my drinking schedule off. Still hard for me to get my fluids unless I really monitor it. I guess if that's my only post surgery issue (that and the loose skin! ) then I have nothing to complain about.
I have water in hand 24/7 to get it in and tbh it's STILL not enough. I'm still always dry. Always dry lips. Dry.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #32

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
NSAIDs are allowed by my surgeon for sleevers. Not as dangerous. Some surgeons still say no.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
My clinic and surgeon allow a limited use of nsaids (I have a sleeve). When I was doing my PT and had an inflamation, they authorized 600 mg twice a day for no more than 3 days. Then I had to stop. I had to rely on icing and elevating for the long run. I'm not sure if they would have allowed more nsaids for a chronic condition.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
My WLS monthly meeting was cancelled tonight. I had really pulled some strings to be able to attend. I am bummed because I am struggling and could have used the boost. Fail.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Mair
Husband had the sleeve and they told him NSAIDs were no-nos. Just hoping that getting the weight off my knees will help tremendously!
Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
My WLS monthly meeting was cancelled tonight. I had really pulled some strings to be able to attend. I am bummed because I am struggling and could have used the boost. Fail.
Sounds like you have a free hour. Go for a walk.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mair View Post
Husband had the sleeve and they told him NSAIDs were no-nos. Just hoping that getting the weight off my knees will help tremendously!
This is my surgeon's standing on NSAIDS post all of his WLS.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #38

When Molly passed we made arrangements to have her cremated. The company was to pick her up from the vet on 9/23 and return her the following Monday 9/30. I hadn't received any word that she was back so I stopped by the vet, who hasn't received her back yet... it's been two weeks. They are supposed to be contacting the company to see what happened and where my Molly is and then they are supposed to call me. Still no word. It looks like I'll be stopping by there today too. I hope for good news. I will cry my eyes out all over again if they have lost her!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #39

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
I had the sleeve and they said Tylenol only. Tylenol never really helps me although I had a fever on Friday and it did help it drop. In the 10 months, I have only taken Tylenol 2 or 3 times. It just doesn't work so why bother.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Hugs. Sorry your meeting got canceled and you're having such a hard time.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
When Molly passed we made arrangements to have her cremated. The company was to pick her up from the vet on 9/23 and return her the following Monday 9/30. I hadn't received any word that she was back so I stopped by the vet, who hasn't received her back yet... it's been two weeks. They are supposed to be contacting the company to see what happened and where my Molly is and then they are supposed to call me. Still no word. It looks like I'll be stopping by there today too. I hope for good news. I will cry my eyes out all over again if they have lost her!
How incompetent!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 220/138/120
{{{hugs}}} I am so sorry about your Molly all over again. I hope it winds up ok.

I'm sorry to hear the support meeting was cancelled! And I hope time passes by quickly for your next one! I attended my first last night, and I can understand what a difference they will make.

I used to practice yoga twice a day. I was at ashtanga series II. I loved it and I miss it. Working back into it is a weight loss goal of mine.

I'm counting the days until next week now. I have my second (of three total) dietician appts. Almost seeing light at the end of my tunnel!

I've been practicing the food part-- no distractions, timer, chewing very well, proteins first, no liquids, etc. My jaw muscles are sore! When you chew your food too much, things taste very different! Some better, and some blah!

I'm also navigating through lots of reading about liquids, making sure I'm not missing info. The dietician, last week, was saying soups, soft foods, etc. are undesirable foods for me, as I go along in process, and the more liquid in something, the less desirable it is, and to go for cheese, grilled chicken, etc. but, last night, the support group said they make everything soft/liquid-y in crock pot to digest and things like "I live on soups," from year-outers. I'm reading Colleen cook's successful habits of WLS patients, but either haven't gotten to a good explanation of why stewing something with liquid is ok and it's not like taking sips... Nothing yet to support support group over dietician. I hope to god I don't end up with a super sensitive pouch and can do solids mostly. Do you guys have trouble digesting solids like grilled chicken?

Also, what do you guys think about quinoa? I am seeing it mentioned everywhere! I googled; it's a seed and a complete protein with calcium, etc., but it's still mighty carby-looking to me, even in small amounts and as a later on addition... I stay high fat very low carb usually and as low-carbers, do you go there and lose?

Yeah, I tend to overthink things

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

Last edited by Matrigna; 10-08-2013 at 04:50 PM..
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #43

Relief. Molly is not lost. She was not picked up. Upset she's not home yet but relieved she's not lost.

I've asked them to get her paw print of possible. I want her little toes added to the ink on my back.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #44

Awwww, how sweet Heather. Glad she's not lost.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post
{{{hugs}}} I am so sorry about your Molly all over again. I hope it winds up ok.

I'm sorry to hear the support meeting was cancelled! And I hope time passes by quickly for your next one! I attended my first last night, and I can understand what a difference they will make.

I used to practice yoga twice a day. I was at ashtanga series II. I loved it and I miss it. Working back into it is a weight loss goal of mine.

I'm counting the days until next week now. I have my second (of three total) dietician appts. Almost seeing light at the end of my tunnel!

I've been practicing the food part-- no distractions, timer, chewing very well, proteins first, no liquids, etc. My jaw muscles are sore! When you chew your food too much, things taste very different! Some better, and some blah!

I'm also navigating through lots of reading about liquids, making sure I'm not missing info. The dietician, last week, was saying soups, soft foods, etc. are undesirable foods for me, as I go along in process, and the more liquid in something, the less desirable it is, and to go for cheese, grilled chicken, etc. but, last night, the support group said they make everything soft/liquid-y in crock pot to digest and things like "I live on soups," from year-outers. I'm reading Colleen cook's successful habits of WLS patients, but either haven't gotten to a good explanation of why stewing something with liquid is ok and it's not like taking sips... Nothing yet to support support group over dietician. I hope to god I don't end up with a super sensitive pouch and can do solids mostly. Do you guys have trouble digesting solids like grilled chicken?

Also, what do you guys think about quinoa? I am seeing it mentioned everywhere! I googled; it's a seed and a complete protein with calcium, etc., but it's still mighty carby-looking to me, even in small amounts and as a later on addition... I stay high fat very low carb usually and as low-carbers, do you go there and lose?

I am 16 months post -op. I do love things like chili and stew, but those were the types of foods I liked before surgery also. I eat them frequently and I am pleased with my weight loss progress so don't think they were a problem for me. I find beef easier to eat than chicken ~ never was a big fan of chicken though. I do notice since my surgery that dark meat is better if I am going to eat chicken, now I enjoy drumsticks and they seem to be about the right portion. Another chicken I can tolerate pretty well is canned chicken that I use to make chicken salad. A boneless skinless breast however is going to be pretty tough to swallow pun intended. A nice piece of steak goes down easy. I would also add that even past a year out my stomach can have it's moments where it's uh uh not having any of that today! I really don't know why it gets into a mood every so often. Overall though, I find eating to be very doable and I feel quite normal, except that I still eat very small quantities so I tend to eat more frequently to take in enough fuel to keep going all day.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Hi Alisa, and welcome. I know for me - early out - food had to be jucier or a little fattier for me to be able to tolerate it. It isn't a matter of eating the juice along with it - early on you will have so little room just a few bites will be it. Even now, I purposely avoid chicken if it appears the least bit dry...turkey, too. I made chicken in a crock pot from time to time, and also make a baked chicken breast with a mayo-parm cheese-bread crumb topping... You will learn what works for you as you go. At just about 3 years post-op I will tell you I can eat anything I want. Trick now is to eat the right things almost all the time. As you may have already heard, the good eating habits you learn and use early on will serve you especially well when you are a few years post op. WLS is a tool to help you turn things around. Once you get there - or get close to there - it more and more will fall back on your behaviors. WLS was the absolute best thing I ever did for myself. I just wish I did it about 20 years sooner. My life would have been totally different. I've never tried quinoa, but might at some point. I'm really trying to avoid most carbs right now. High fat, as most WLS people might agree, can cause issues for us. I never purposely avoided fat, but I didn't eat lots of it on purpose either... Eventually calories become a consideration, as well. I will say I generally eat mostly protein with my carbs usually being found in things like fruits and vegetables with a little bit of rice, potatoes, or pasta. Recently I gained about ten pounds (on top of almost another ten from before that) and I gained it by eating all kinds of carbs and abandoning my good eating habits. I also really was cutting back on my exercise. Right now I am really trying to limit my carbs to a daily protein shake and a greek yogurt. I don't deny myself vegetables or an occasional piece of fruit, but, for now, I'm all about the low carb.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #47

Good morning. I made it. That elusive Onederland is where I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, it's 199 but I'll take it!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jody1958
Introduction

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself. I had an RNY/fobi pouch in Mexico 10 years ago. It has worked pretty well, but I had crept up to 172, so I started low carb on October 1. (I had done Atkins in 1999 before my WLS.) I think low carb is the best for me because I am not hungry when I stick to it. I am doing well so far and thinking about whether I should order some keto sticks. I am 55 years old, married for 32 years. Mom of 4 children. I work as an occupational therapist in a nursing home short term rehab unit. I enjoy Legos as a hobby. I weighed 165.5 this morning and my goal for Oct 31 is 160.
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody1958 View Post
Hi, I wanted to introduce myself. I had an RNY/fobi pouch in Mexico 10 years ago. It has worked pretty well, but I had crept up to 172, so I started low carb on October 1. (I had done Atkins in 1999 before my WLS.) I think low carb is the best for me because I am not hungry when I stick to it. I am doing well so far and thinking about whether I should order some keto sticks. I am 55 years old, married for 32 years. Mom of 4 children. I work as an occupational therapist in a nursing home short term rehab unit. I enjoy Legos as a hobby. I weighed 165.5 this morning and my goal for Oct 31 is 160.
I'm impressed that 10 years later you're still within shooting range of your goal. You give me hope that this can be a lifelong change.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Good morning. I made it. That elusive Onederland is where I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, it's 199 but I'll take it!
Oh happy happy day! Wheeeee!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #51

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Good to see you post here, Jody.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #52

Hi Jody, welcome to our group.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I'm impressed that 10 years later you're still within shooting range of your goal. You give me hope that this can be a lifelong change.
Thanks. By the way, not sure if I was clear, 160 is my goal for 10/31. My GOAL GOAL I haven't decided on yet. Somewhere between 135 and 150.'
Oh and here's a victory to share. Last night I baked chocolate-oat bars and shortbread for a departing co-worker and literally tasted only 1/4 tsp of the choc filling part to make sure it was dissolved and no other tastes whatsoever. I baked myself a batch of the cream cheese muffin recipe I got from the general intro board and I had one last night and brought 2 for today so I won't be tempted. They are delicious.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody1958 View Post
Thanks. By the way, not sure if I was clear, 160 is my goal for 10/31. My GOAL GOAL I haven't decided on yet. Somewhere between 135 and 150.'
Oh and here's a victory to share. Last night I baked chocolate-oat bars and shortbread for a departing co-worker and literally tasted only 1/4 tsp of the choc filling part to make sure it was dissolved and no other tastes whatsoever. I baked myself a batch of the cream cheese muffin recipe I got from the general intro board and I had one last night and brought 2 for today so I won't be tempted. They are delicious.
Welcome! I hope you'll join us here more often and over on the food and exercise accountability thread too!

It was clear. I think that 10 years out you are doing great. You didn't say what your initial weight loss was or what your regain was (just up to 170-something) but even overall I'm sure you've maintained a HIGH percentage of your excess weight lost! It really does show that it's not about surgery, but about behavior. I've always said that having the surgery just reset me to a more level playing field. It's up to me to keep the ball in bounds and maintain play. It's a lot less overwhelming to drop 5-10 regained pounds than 5-60 regained pounds! Not EASIER, just less overwhelming.

I'm 3 1/2+ years post RNY. I had an initial loss of 153 pounds and in the past year have regained a few. My lowest was 133, which was over 100% excess weight lost. I'm now at 150 which is at the top of my comfort zone, but that's okay. I had to reset my thinking. I don't want to be 133 again. I couldn't achieve that easily anymore anyway. My body fat is around 18%. I wear a size 4 pants and a size small top. Even though my BMI puts me at the high side of normal (sometimes pushing overweight depending on my last meal ), I'm still in a good place. It's not all about the number, and you sound like you are in a good place too. I look forward to more posts from you!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Why low liquid entree.

Quote:

I know my WLS surgeon told me to limit liquids with calories. I think the thinking is that can get out of the pouch easily so you could consume more. I think they want you to fill up your pouch with things that don't pass through to the intestines quickly, so the pouch is full and stays full and limits your consumption. That said, I will say I do drink Atkins shakes and eat soupy food yet I have had a good weight loss.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #56

Quote:

Overthinking things isn't bad. It's called good preparation, which is key. Quinoa is good, I like it but I eat it sparingly. I pretty much try to stick to whole raw foods. I'll use quinoa for a rice sub in certain dishes but tbh I'm an eating creature of habit and if I just eat what I usually eat I do well.

I RARELY eat soups. If I do it's more of a stew or something like beans. Cream ofs and stuff like that... no. Lentil soup - yes, but I pour the liquid out before heating it. There's a difference between needing MOIST protein and eating "liquids". The more liquid and mushy and soft a food is the more your body will allow you to consume. Not in and of itself a bad thing, but if you use it to "eat around" your surgery it could become a crutch and ultimately cause you to regain. Stewing something with liquid is fine. Consuming something stewed in liquid is fine. Drinking said liquid during or after the meal in quantities more than necessary to keep foods moist is a slippery slope. Fine, but you're probably consuming more than you would if you didn't have the juice to slide it on down. That's why you'll hear the term "slider" foods.

I stick to dense foods. Lean protein. Raw veggies (just a personal preference, no real valid reason). If I need moisture I get it in my addins like hummus or something. I've learned (RECENTLY) to steer clear of dairy. I have more gain/gas issues when I'm eating dairy. So I pretty much don't. A lil cheese is okay, but no more cottage cheese, yogurt or milk for a while. I may try to incorporate some yogurt (0% plain unflavored Fage) at a future date, but for now no dairy is working well for me.

Those in your group that are saying make everything in a crockpot and liquidy - they're gonna lose no matter what if they are only about a year out. Those that are at least 2 years out and maintaining or still losing - those are the ones you want to pay attention to. You lose in your first year to a year and a half regardless because your quantity of food is so low, it's when that increases that your actual food habits start to play a bigger part in things. Learn good habits during your "magic" window and you will be successful. That's what keeps you successful.

That's just my experience, remember everyone is different and has different opinions!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #57

So we might get a dog. My dh's coworker has to give away her 3 y.o. weimeraner. I don't know if it's male or female but she said it's house trained, doesn't destroy things. We've been discussing getting a puppy so I have someone to walk with. My dog is too old--she'll be 11 and she will just lay down when we go outside. LOL This might work. He's going to talk to the lady today and see if we can do a trial weekend and then decide. I'm excited. I need a walking partner.
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
Old 10-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So we might get a dog. My dh's coworker has to give away her 3 y.o. weimeraner. I don't know if it's male or female but she said it's house trained, doesn't destroy things. We've been discussing getting a puppy so I have someone to walk with. My dog is too old--she'll be 11 and she will just lay down when we go outside. LOL This might work. He's going to talk to the lady today and see if we can do a trial weekend and then decide. I'm excited. I need a walking partner.
My bil rescues weimeraners. I think they are beautiful. They can be very energetic (which is why they probably end up in a rescue organization) but the ones he has as his own family pet are always very well behaved. I think that the dog is 3 also works in your favor. I know having a dog always gets me out walking more ~
Old 10-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

liquidy soft food

I think the variations in how foods feel/work for us is really interesting. Now I am only 14 months post surgery so I know this could change, but things like chili and yogurt still fill me up and cause restriction. A 6 ounce Chobani is all I can eat in one serving, and I usually can't finish a small chili from Wendy's. Even tea with milk feels heavier in my stomach than just plain tea. I would love it if this feeling lasted forever. What I'm discovering though, is that I need a little fat in whatever I'm eating to be satiated. So 2% yogurt stays with me longer than 0% fat. My restriction changed a bit around 9 months, and from what I've read I can expect another change around 2 years. If my capacity increases a lot I will have to consider lowering carbs. I don't really worry about carbs right now, as long as I meet my protein goals and stay around 1200 it seems to be working. I would love it if it were always so, but again, I know this might all change.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #60

Quote:
Um. Lol. You're getting yourself a running partner in that breed! Weimers are top choices for both distance running (10+) and fast runs (7min/mi)!