Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #121

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Welcome, Alisa, I am sure you will do very well with the RNY... you are a surgical "light weight" and most of those that I know seem to have an easier time getting all the way to goal and staying there. My high weight was 355lb, and I never made it into the "healthy" range of the BMI charts.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mair View Post
I can't imagine being cold but I kind of welcome it. I hate heat so much.

I have an endoscopy next week and my last nutrition appointment on Oct 21st. So hopefully it will be soon after that.

Thank you for these threads! Reading all of your successes and struggles helps a lot.
I was always the warmest person in any room - until WLS. What a change! I spent many a night this summer in long thermal pants, a long-sleeved shirt, a robe, AND socks! And I live in Florida!!

Welcome Alisa - I hope you can go through all this as quickly as you hope, but I'd prepare myself for the possibility it just won't happen that fast. Even though my insurance had no "waiting period," the doctor's office did have a lot of hoops to jump through. Fortunately, my primary doctor was really not involved. I was pretty upset with her - she had been after me for a few years to consider lap-band. However, when I went to see her and told her of my gastric bypass decision, she seemed very hesitant about the whole thing and almost tried to talk me out of it. People are so used to seeing you a certain way - even my doctor... I still remember how she would always say her notes into a mini voice recorder and she'd always start mine with, "patient is morbidly obese." Yeah, I don't miss that al ALL!

PS: I spent my holidays healing 3 years ago - and I have no regrets. I remember my Thanksgiving dinner that year was, literally, about 2 oz. of fish. That was all!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 09-25-2013 at 10:08 PM..
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #123
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrigna View Post
hiya! I'm jumping on the wagon. I'm so happy to see there's an active WLS group here! I looked around the web, but didn't really find much.

After lots of online research, books, and webinars, I've made the decision to get WLS. I finally found the surgeon I want, and I've decided on RNY. Yesterday, I officially started the pre-op process. I'm trying to move quickly through the itinerary. Today is a follow up with my dietician, tomorrow is the first part of the psych eval. Next week, I do the psych eval part 2, the support group meeting, and who knows what else yet. There are a lot of appointments! I'm so anxious to get to the part where I've had the surgery and I'm losing weight. I'm not second guessing myself at all-- I'm getting excited. My biggest worry is that something will go wrong with insurance or my primary care physician input/records (she's conservative so, if her opinion is needed, I'm not sure what hoops she'll try to make me jump through) and I can't get WLS, after all. At yesterday's first pre-op appt, the surgeon said I can expect to move through this process and have the surgery within 4-to-5 weeks but, reading through the folder his office gave me, it sounds like it could take a lot longer than that because of the paperwork requirements. I'm determined to move fast and not be laid up over the holidays. We'll see.

Reading your posts is giving me a realistic view of what to expect, long term. So, thank you all =) I'm looking forward to hanging out here!
Are your stats current? My biggest concern is with insurance approval is your weight says it's 204 and your height is 5'4", which puts your BMI at 35. Most insurance says 35 or higher with 2 comorbidities (those usually being specific to DJD, diabetes and sleep apnea) or 40 and higher without. I would expect to lose quite a bit of weight with the RNY, at least 100 pounds regardless of where you start because of the malabsorption and restriction. When at a lower starting weight (or even a higher one at that) it's hard to STOP losing when you need to during the first 1 1/2 - 2 years. I bottomed out at 133 (starting from 286) and had to SIGNIFICANTLY increase food and calories to stop there. Lol, now I only WISH I still had that problem! Is there any reason you settled on that one versus the sleeve? Curious.

4-5 is FAST. My insurance required a 3 month education period and hoops to jump through. It ended up taking 6 months (3 months for insurance and 3 months for coordination with work for time off). I'd be a little leery about 4-5 weeks, how much pre-op education and counseling are they doing? We can give you all the run down on education if they're lacking.

Quote:
I can't imagine being cold but I kind of welcome it. I hate heat so much.

I have an endoscopy next week and my last nutrition appointment on Oct 21st. So hopefully it will be soon after that.

Thank you for these threads! Reading all of your successes and struggles helps a lot.
Yup, freezing. Sometimes I get so cold it's painful. My fingers and toes go numb. Fingers crossed for good news!
Old 09-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #124

I brought this little brown baby home...

She is pretty.

She likes me already.

She won't tell me her name.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #125

B - mint cookie protein
L - usual chicken, chickpeas, tomato, avocado, snap peas, hummus
s - mint cookie protein
D - ? It's homecoming...
Old 09-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #126

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
I'm so happy for you, Heather. She is adorable.
chewiegand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: joyful48
WOE: atkins
Awwww Heather she looks so sweet there in your lap. I know she will help to lighten your heavy heart .

B~coffee

L~ protein shake 25 grams

D~Hmmm boiled shrimp and maybe cream of broccoli soup
joyful48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

HT~ yeah I can remember I was not a happy camper during the holidays . I was very disgruntled not to be able to eat like I had been . I was in mourning for my favorite holiday treats. My Dh and I were so glad when the holidays were over that year. I knew I didn't want to wait cause I would have reached 235lbs by the New Year. At 5'0" that is just obscene!

I went and tried on cocktail dresses yesterday and It wasn't pretty. My flab in the tummy area ,the lumps and bumps just was too much for me . I actually felt so defeated that I wanted to eat all the things that got me fat, I almost drove to the store and bought ice cream and candy. Crisis adverted but, I still feel yuck in my head. I went back to look at old fat pictures of me before surgery and yes I am proud that I have gotten this far but, I have a lot more work to do and I hope that I can get out of this head funk to do it.

230/ 123~ back 156 /120/ULTIMATE GOAL 115

Jan- 27 153
Jun-19-156
Old 09-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #129

joyful don't be too hard on yourself... I remember at 179 before excess skin removal surgery, having lost almost 180lb, I looked "fatter" than I was because of the floppy skin... maybe try some slimpressions or spanx
Old 09-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #130

Heather.... aw sooo cute! Chocolate lab?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

Well you know the flab just pokes out some
Where else. I had a cut from east to west
On my stomach and I haven't any muscles so unless
I win the lotto I am just stuck. I have to come to
Terms with it. Thanks for you encouraging words.
C
Old 09-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Savannah
Stats: 307.8/205/175
WOE: VSG 2/27/12 & low carb
Start Date: everyday
Heather so very sorry for your loss mostly lurk here, but I had to post this what a beautifel brown baby!!!!
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Heather.... aw sooo cute! Chocolate lab?
She may have some lab in her, she has some long leggies. But she's a pittie. A poor teeny little abandoned pittie. Her litter was dumped on a 100+ day in a box in a field behind animal control. She's skinny skinny skinny but sooooo sweet and shy and calm. I have to fatten her up. She's just bones.

So smart though. Already knows potty is outside. Very FEW accidents. And she can sit for treats.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #134

Heather, what's the new fur baby's name????
Old 09-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
My son is a senior. We are doing college visits this month. I love being at the front of the tour group instead of huffing and puffing in the back desperately trying to keep up. Today we toured my old campus ~ the University of Minnesota. I know pre sleeve it would have made me so sad to remember my glory days and realize how limited my life had become because of my weight. But when I ran into the ghost of my 19 year old self in the student union, she thought I looked good for a middle-aged woman. She was surprised to hear we had an 18 year-old son though How the years do fly! Keeping up with tour groups, just another reason I love my sleeve
Old 09-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #136
Blabbermouth!!!

Heather I love that little puppy! I thought "Sadie," but maybe not...just a suggestion.

Joyful - Actually eating during the first two years post surgery was not even the smallest concern to me. In the past half a year, however, I find my old habits and thought processes coming back full force. I also have to admit, however, that my stress level is through the roof, so it doesn't shock me that I am turning to food.
I was shopping all day yesterday and found myself squeezing into 14's that used to almost always fit nicely. What a downer. Shows me I must continue fighting this fight. I do not want to gain one more pound.

I also went to a store where they videotape you running and then can tell you which running shoes are best for you. It was cool, and I walked away a bit lighter in the wallet, but with a pair of running shoes I think will be perfect.

I have 17,000 papers (not really, but it looks and feels like there are that many) to grade today, so this is just a drive-by hello. Sadly, until the papers are done I am not going to be moving much or exercising. Hopefully I can get most of this done today and start fresh tomorrow with exercise. I am already back on track with eating (however, Friday and Saturday night were totally indulgent...).

Jesse - Congrats to you on all your recent NSVs... I also realized that just a year ago I was sooooo psyched about my new size but I have now become totally negative and I am scrutinizing everything. I have to get my mind in a better place. My advice to you - do what you're already doing - love every second of it!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Heather I love that little puppy! I thought "Sadie," but maybe not...just a suggestion.

Joyful - Actually eating during the first two years post surgery was not even the smallest concern to me. In the past half a year, however, I find my old habits and thought processes coming back full force. I also have to admit, however, that my stress level is through the roof, so it doesn't shock me that I am turning to food.
I was shopping all day yesterday and found myself squeezing into 14's that used to almost always fit nicely. What a downer. Shows me I must continue fighting this fight. I do not want to gain one more pound.

I also went to a store where they videotape you running and then can tell you which running shoes are best for you. It was cool, and I walked away a bit lighter in the wallet, but with a pair of running shoes I think will be perfect.

I have 17,000 papers (not really, but it looks and feels like there are that many) to grade today, so this is just a drive-by hello. Sadly, until the papers are done I am not going to be moving much or exercising. Hopefully I can get most of this done today and start fresh tomorrow with exercise. I am already back on track with eating (however, Friday and Saturday night were totally indulgent...).

Jesse - Congrats to you on all your recent NSVs... I also realized that just a year ago I was sooooo psyched about my new size but I have now become totally negative and I am scrutinizing everything. I have to get my mind in a better place. My advice to you - do what you're already doing - love every second of it!
Years ago I decided to do a gratitude journal. Life is complicated and messy and sometimes hurtful. I am never going to be rich, or normal with food, or maybe even escape these !@#$ winters in my home state, or have granite counter tops, or an in ground pool.... my job, special ed, (as you well know!) is meaningful but STRESSFUL, my parents have had increasingly serious health problems, my nephew was in a terrible accident this summer that has left him brain injured ... so I tried focusing on what I did have, both big and small big = great husband and healthy kids, small = all the little pleasures life has to hold; a sunset, the Sunday paper, a great clearance dress , a walk with the dog, something funny my son says, a cup of chai latte, the warmth of my mattress pad heater, floating on an air mattress in the lake, the smell of the fall leaves ... and I found/find the more I am grateful for the small things in my life, the more things I found to be grateful for, and the more I had/have to help carry me through the bad stuff... having the surgery gave me a whole new wave of small things to embrace I look for the NSV s all the time to offset those days when I think I am deformed by my hanging skin (and p.s. is just sooooo far out of reach for me $ wise) or am tired of being compliant... I hope writing them down helps me remember where I came from and why I did this so I can keep up the fight forever
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

while I'm at it ....

Friday I was shopping with my son who needed a dress shirt and tie... while he was looking I wandered into the misses clothes and spied a sweater I liked (it's getting cold here I need sweaters, right? ) It was on sale for $14.99 for some doorbuster promotion. I had a 25% off coupon and a $10.00 rewards that could be layered with the coupon, so a brand new sweater that just came out ended up costing me less than $2.00 Then yesterday I got a Lane Bryant catalog in the mail. It had a coupon for $15.00 off a purchase of $15.00 or more ... I was going to toss it because I'm pretty much a size 10 now, but then I remembered hey, jewelry! I see a practically free new necklace in my future
Old 09-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #139
Blabbermouth!!!

I need to be more thoughtful like you are... Sadly I have a few really big issues that eat away at all those little things. I'll give it a shot though...

Here's one: The day is half over and I haven't strayed from good eating.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I need to be more thoughtful like you are... Sadly I have a few really big issues that eat away at all those little things. I'll give it a shot though...

Here's one: The day is half over and I haven't strayed from good eating.
Great job with the eating especially on the weekend! Weekends are the hardest for me. My daughter and her roommates are going through a really tough time right now ~ something unthinkable happened to one of them and they are all feeling the shock waves ~ I will offer to you what I talked about with my daughter, now is the time to be kind to yourself. (Not meaning eating what you want, but truly kind, the sort of kindnesses that heal). Do for yourself what you would do for a hurting friend. Say nice things to yourself, and grab whatever small pleasures you can to help you through it.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #141

Quote:

Her name is Lucy.

I got fitted at a running store too. They give you a handful of options. I thanked them and bought a pair of them online for half the price.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 210/145/110
WOE: Primal-ish (WLS 11/29/13)
Thanks for the warm welcome and help.

I'm currently hovering at 210. I need to update those stats. I know I'm on the lower end. I stay there by eating very low carb. I almost never cheat; although, I do tend to eat large portions and use a lot of artificial sweeteners, both of which, I know, do me no favors. And Dreamfields pasta too. But hunger and cravings, you know? They get so strong. I'm hoping WLS helps both. I have some co-morbidities, and they make keeping my weight from rising really frustrating-- I lose so much, and then it comes creeping back, no matter what, it seems. Very easily and fast! I hope to get off my rising list of prescriptions, somewhat. I would believe weight falling off of me uncontrollably when I see it! Lol! But, I do eat healthy and try to get all of my meat and veggies from local organic farms and plan to watch my nutrition carefully. Hopefully, that will make a difference with TOO much weight loss, if that should happen. If not, I could up the healthy carbs, I guess. Do more primal style and less Atkins/induction, maybe.

You were right-- surgery is not going to be that fast, after all. That was very wishful thinking. My PCP's records don't show the right frequency of nutrition/weight/exercise counseling to allow me to forgo the 3 months of dietician apps. Oh well... Maybe there won't be much of a surgery wait smack during the holidays. I'm willing to do that and start my new year's off right. So, I have one more psych appt and two more months of counseling to go. And a sppt group meeting in a little over a week! Looking very forward to that!

Adorable puppy! I have a 1-1/2 yr old german shepherd-- first time dog owner, here! It's been an adventure, but a great one

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

Last edited by Matrigna; 09-29-2013 at 01:39 PM..
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Welcome..

[QUOTE=Matrigna;16623485] But hunger and cravings, you know? They get so strong. I'm hoping WLS helps both.]

Hunger yes for a while. Craving not so much It's a head game
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #144
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: christina6281
Stats: 172/150/130 someday
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept 6 2013
I had surgery over 4 years ago when I weighed 236 lbs at 5'2. A year later I dropped down to 125/130 depending on the day and then 1 1/2 months after my 1 year anniversary is when it all went down hill. I woke up one morning in the worst pain I had ever had. The pain continued all day and all night and wouldn't let up. At first I thought I had real bad gas and didn't want to go to the hospital and they tell me to go home and fart. Finally I had enough and went to the ER. They checked me out and before I knew it I was getting doped up on pain meds and rushed into have emergency surgery. I had developed a leak and fluids were seeping into my abdomen. I was told that if I hadn't come in when I did I would have not made it through the night. I was cut open and they repaired the damage to my pouch but made the opening bigger. Not sure why but whatever. This was down my the general surgeon on call and not my bariatric surgeon that did my surgery. I was mad about that but there was nothing I could do about it. Anyways, I went home and quickly went down to 115 cause I was in pain and couldn't eat. A couple of months later when I was better I started to gain weight like crazy. A year later I was probably up 50 lbs and before I started Atkins I was 60 lbs up. I started Atkins at 172 and now I am at 157.

I know a lot of people who don't regret having the surgery but I am not one of those people. I now find myself eating way more often then I ever did and every pain that I have scares the crap out of me.

If you read this please pay attention to your body, if you have any pain that won't go away do not hesitate to go to the hospital. I know a leak does not occur that often but it does happen.

I am just curious if anyone out there has had similar experiences
christina6281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Argh still stuck at 139! Well at least it's not going up.

HT-you are a strong woman , you have been through so much
With your surgeries. Yes life for you is harder at the present but,
You have it in you to reclaim your domain( body,mind)that's the only thing
That any of us have control over. All the other crap in our lives
Maybe out of our realm to shape to our desires but, this we've got.
Eating has never put things right in our lives and for 3seconds of
Pleasure has caused a lifetime of pain .So love yourself girlie! You have
and will succeed cause you are the Boss of YOU!

Heather- I love Lucy LOL

Jesse- gee you made out like a bandit at the store! I love those
kind of sales cha-Ching!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #146

Up and down and down and up and not feeling good. I wish it would cool off some more so I can get outside to walk. Maybe that will help! This job searching is no fun at all.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #147
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Mair
Question for those who have had the sleeve. How long before you could exercise? I ride a recumbent bike because it helps my knees tremendously and would hate to give that up for very long.
Mair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #148

Mair, I would say you should ask your surgeon, because everyone is different... but I felt pretty good only a week or so after surgery to start moving around gently. Week 3 I felt pretty weak and woozy as I was adjusting to the lower intake and not being able to guzzle down fluids... I think my electrolytes were off.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #149

Quote:
Question for those who have had the sleeve. How long before you could exercise? I ride a recumbent bike because it helps my knees tremendously and would hate to give that up for very long.
I could walk immediately post op, that's recommended. Recumbent bike - not entirely sure. All other exercise had to wait 6 weeks.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #150

So. I can't bring myself to go out and run without my MollBall. HOW can I get myself past this mental/emotional roadblock. I just roll over and go back to sleep. Lucy is too teeny to run, her joints aren't formed.

Tito can, for short distances, but he is too much dog for me (80 pounds) and I can't run with him because he stops frequently to mark territory.